• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

35 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I support LHB 100%. They do a great job every week. They gotten me fired up at big games all over the country.

Don’t really care to hear about their nuances, though. 

It is rare to actually remember one of their performances at halftime but I still remember this one from 2012.  Way better than marching in lines playing the same songs.  Edit - wasn't my video - got it from yt.

Edited by dec3169
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am in 100% violent agreement here. Especially at the HS level. HS bands now bring out fucking set pieces and do some big operatic display that is nearly 2/3 as long as the fucking game. Nearly every game the referees should throw a flag for delay of game as the band(s) go over as it takes them forever to get all of their shit off the field.

Why college bands can just march on to the field and GTFO yet HS bands have to make it some giant Broadway fucking production is beyond me. Best part of home games at House Park is I can walk to the Tavern during halftime and grab a beer because I know that I will have plenty of time to do so.

Band performances are 5 mins to get on the field, 8 mins to perform, 2 mins to exit.  Max 15 minutes.  That's the UIL rule.  And that's at the end of the season when they know the entire show.  Earlier in the season it's less than that because they only know half the show.  Add three minutes for the drill team's performance.  That's not a lot of time to ask during a three hour event.

Also, in Austin ISD, most bands practice on parking lots.  They have no access to turf fields.  The shows they do at football games are important because being on turf is totally different than being on asphalt, and the competitions are all on turf fields.  You can see this in the first few games of the season where the kids are all over the place on the field.

It may not be your thing but it's important to the kids in the band and they are students at the school, enjoying their high school years.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Band performances are 5 mins to get on the field, 8 mins to perform, 2 mins to exit.  Max 15 minutes.  That's the UIL rule.  And that's at the end of the season when they know the entire show.  Earlier in the season it's less than that because they only know half the show.  Add three minutes for the drill team's performance.  That's not a lot of time to ask during a three hour event.

Also, in Austin ISD, most bands practice on parking lots.  They have no access to turf fields.  The shows they do at football games are important because being on turf is totally different than being on asphalt, and the competitions are all on turf fields.  You can see this in the first few games of the season where the kids are all over the place on the field.

It may not be your thing but it's important to the kids in the band and they are students at the school, enjoying their high school years.

Nobody, and I mean Nobody, is at a fucking football game for the band. I dont give a shit if its 3 minutes. I would rather shit in a public toilet than waste two seconds watching that shit. It's like title 9, shoving band nerds and their feelings into the football because "we need everyone to feel nice".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 9

9 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Halftime is more than a complete half of football. It’s longer than it was several years ago. 

51 minutes ago, MisterP said:

x, x, x, x, x, x

These are the fucking USC cheerleaders? This is my fantasy and none of these bitches are supermodel 10 hot. Fuck them all for not being hotter. Also, where the midriff?!!??! If you're going to be ugly, at least attempt to show your body to make up for it.

I'd do them all a solid and fuck them since nobody else will.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am in 100% violent agreement here. Especially at the HS level. HS bands now bring out fucking set pieces and do some big operatic display that is nearly 2/3 as long as the fucking game. Nearly every game the referees should throw a flag for delay of game as the band(s) go over as it takes them forever to get all of their shit off the field.

Why college bands can just march on to the field and GTFO yet HS bands have to make it some giant Broadway fucking production is beyond me. Best part of home games at House Park is I can walk to the Tavern during halftime and grab a beer because I know that I will have plenty of time to do so.

Nothing like an 8 minute xylophone ode to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Because bands and drill teams have their own UIL competitions to worry about. They don't win those competitions marching in straight lines.

Wether you olds like it or not, Friday night is no longer only about the football team.

It's for the larger school community, which includes band and drill team.

Yeah, I can’t count the number of Friday nights where the stadium is packed, people tailgate ahead of time, and we all watch the band and drill team perform for 3 hours.  

17 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Nobody, and I mean Nobody, is at a fucking football game for the band. I dont give a shit if its 3 minutes. I would rather shit in a public toilet than waste two seconds watching that shit. It's like title 9, shoving band nerds and their feelings into the football because "we need everyone to feel nice".

Let me follow up my last derisive post ridiculing the idea that band/drill team wags the dog by also pointing out that MisterP is wrong.

I know lot’s of parents and families who are there for the team, but more so for their kid in the band, drill team, etc.  When their kid graduates they may go to a game or two, but it is fewer and often none they attend.  As kids get older being a supportive parent is more and more about showing up or being available.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Tell me you don't know what the fuck you're talking about without telling me you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

5, 2, 1, 6, 3, 4

Like you I'm flexible but in a different sense. We agree on who should be seeded #1 but differ a lot after that. Seems we'd likely make good wing men for one another.

I can't and never could put my leg behind my head, but I do posses other less tangible skills.

Edit - To be clear, should the extremely unlikely situation come to pass, where you and I are deciding which of the 6 USC pom squad interested in fornication with us both we are going to bed... I'm not a proud man, and I'd be willing to accept sloppy seconds as required. I'm a giving and understanding man, you see.

Mostly, I'm rambling at this point to redirect the conversation towards hot ass USC cheerleaders or aggie stupidity and away from band camp talk.

Good lord this post screams “tell me you were in marching band… without actually telling me you were in marching band”

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3430537

image.png.e6c197523a3fe3494e79e9f4b19248e9.png

The usual amount of Texags butthurt and inaccuracies, but also a surprising number of realists. Goddamn do they hate being little brother. They should move that entire campus over to Qatar, where they could goose step around campus confident in their big brother status. It would be a win for everyone.*

*except the people of Qatar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3430537

image.png.e6c197523a3fe3494e79e9f4b19248e9.png

The usual amount of Texags butthurt and inaccuracies, but also a surprising number of realists. Goddamn do they hate being little brother. They should move that entire campus over to Qatar, where they could goose step around campus confident in their big brother status. It would be a win for everyone.*

*except the people of Qatar

They’ve never been in touch with reality, hence their terrible case of little brother syndrome. 

Yes, we have more donor support. Yes, we have more alumni support. Yes, we have more of a national fanbase. Yes, we have far more money. No, we don’t need to tap into the PUF. Douchebags. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Tell me you don't know what the fuck you're talking about without telling me you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Oh I am sorry, did I hurt the parents feelings? There are like maybe 200 people at the game that are there to support their kids in the band. I get it, theyre your children. If they werent in the band you wouldnt give a fuck. Get over it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, sushihorn said:

That’s pre-Madonna you damn sip. 

That's premie madonna you 2%er.

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Troy to Tulane. Seems somewhat horizontal.

Tulane was a playoff team last year and a CCG loss away this year under the 12 team format. Definitely a step up if he can maintain what Fritz built.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

There's always time for a good band hate thread. If you crossed a mentally handicapped Charlie Brown with Liberace going through his western musical phase, I assume you would end up with the Texas band uniform. Its not a good look.

I'm With the Band - Giving to UT

If eliminating all marching bands will make stadium beers $.25 cheaper, sign me the fuck up.* 

*with the possible exception of a few of the  HBCU bands that dont actually bore me to tears and drop some funk into the mix. 

No- them too. It’s still the band. 

53 minutes ago, MisterP said:

You are like if Maxim magazine was a person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Oh I am sorry, did I hurt the parents feelings? There are like maybe 200 people at the game that are there to support their kids in the band. I get it, theyre your children. If they werent in the band you wouldnt give a fuck. Get over it. 

Wrong again. But points for consistency. 

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wrong again. But points for consistency. 

Too each their own I guess, sir. I am ending my particpation in this conversation now. The only thing that matters is that we win. Fuck Washington and that stupid rainy state with shit on the streets full of homelessness. I'd rather summer in Afghanistan than that butthole of a city.

Edited by MisterP
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Because bands and drill teams have their own UIL competitions to worry about. They don't win those competitions marching in straight lines.

Wether you olds like it or not, Friday night is no longer only about the football team.

It's for the larger school community, which includes band and drill team.

Having officiated TXHSFB, I concur that the halftime performances are too fucking long. They're only supposed to be 25 minutes, but almost ALWAYS run over, especially with the 5A and 6A schools. It's really bullshit - no offense.

Just do a standard marching routine at halftime of football games. Save the theater and props for band performances. Maybe the schools can sell tickets for that, too. Or not....(too cynical?)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

A timeline of hilarity

7/30/2021 - SEC grants membership to Texas & Oklahoma
8/19/2021 - A&M is ranked #6 in preseason AP poll
9/1/2021 - Texas A&M grants Jimbo Fisher a 10-year, fully guaranteed contract extension worth $94.95 million
9/11/2021 - A&M barely escapes Boulder with a 3 point win over a 4-8 Colorado team Haynes King fractures lower leg
9/25/2021 - A&M loses only game to Arkansas since joining SEC in 2012
10/2/2021 - Mike Leach does his favorite thing and wins at Kyle Field (again)
10/9/2021 - Calzada takes down #1 Alabama at Kyle Field
10/16/2021 - A&M wins the last road game in program history at Faurot Field in Columbia, MO
11/13/2021 - Joey Freshwater starts his undefeated streak against A&M
12/16/2021 - A&M signs bulk of "best class evar" (Nolan, Stewart, Brownlow-Dindy, Weigman, etc)
12/22/2021 - A&M forfeits the Gator Bowl blaming COVID-19 and injuries a mere 9 days before the bowl game was to be played
1/11/2022 - A&M finishes unranked in final AP poll
5/19/2022 - Saban lights a match and accuses A&M of "buying every player" then Jimbo grabs the gas can in response
7/19/2022 - A&M picked to finish #2 in SEC West behind Alabama at SEC media days as Jimbo & Saban try to downplay feud
8/15/2022 - A&M is ranked #6 in preseason AP poll
9/10/2022 - App State takes down A&M at Kyle Field
10/1/2022 - A&M begins 6 game losing streak at Davis Wade Stadium in final matchup with Mike Leach
10/8/2022 - A&M loses grudge match with Alabama in Tuscaloosa
10/9/2022 - A&M drops from AP poll and will remain unranked
11/12/2022 - A&M visits Auburn & drops 6th consecutive game
11/26/2022 - A&M shocks the world and somehow beats SEC West champ LSU by 15 points at Kyle Field
12/5/2022 - Transfer portal opens final stats are A&M loses 32 players while signing just 15
9/9/2023 - A&M gives up 48 points and 5 TD to a Miami QB who wouldn't finish the season as starter despite not getting injured and would ultimately transfer out
10/7/2023 - Jimbo loses to Saban for the final time going winless in his last two tries after their big kerfuffle
11/4/2023 - Jimbo finishes 0-3 vs Freshwater who mercilessly taunts his squad for being asleep during the game
11/11/2023 - A&M gives up opening KR for TD then blows the doors of Mississippi State finishing on a 51-3 run in Jimbo's final game as head coach
11/12/2023 - A&M fires Jimbo Fisher with 2 games remaining owing a record $77 million dollar buyout that is over 3x Mahlzan's previous record buyout
11/26/2023 - A&M "hires" Mark Stoops then decides to pull the plug after visceral fan and booster reactions
11/27/2023 - A&M hires Mike Elko from Duke to be their 30th head football coach in a mad dash scramble to save face
12/3/2023 - Texas & Alabama are selected by the CFP committee
12/4/2023 - The 2024 transfer portal opens and currently 16 players are leaving with no additions
12/6/2023 - A&M hires Collin Klein to be the offensive coordinator setting up a 2012 Heisman reunion with Johnny Football the official odd couple (blow vs never kissed a girl)

To be continued....

Yes, yes

This is an appropriate post for the aggy thread. Kudos

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MisterP said:

You must yell at the h.s. football players from the stands during games.

Nothing worse than having to sit thru trashy h.s. football so you can watch your daughter perform on the dance squad during halftime.  I relish leaving after halftime.

• Like 2

Just now, freyguy said:

You must yell at the h.s. football players from the stands during games.

Nothing worse than having to sit thru trashy h.s. football so you can watch your daughter perform on the dance squad during halftime.  I relish leaving after halftime.

I have never been to a HS football post highschool in my life. I appreciate you trying to pigeon hole me into this angry old man though. Hook Em.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This post is as unnecessary as halftime band performances. I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever watched one, personally. If someone in a group I’m with is ever espousing “let’s stay in our seats for the band”, we’re unlikely to ever see that dipshit near our seats again. 

I remember the band dorks would tell us how much harder they had to work than we did as athletes. Nothing is more eyeroll inducing. Oh, you have to hit your marks and stay in tune while walking? I have to run full speed at other angry males and then we beat the shit out of each other for 3 hours before I go home and do homework. GTFO. I also never saw them during basketball and baseball season as their upperclassmen got honors credits for their dumbass 3 months of “hard work”. It’s a fucking grift, really. 

You're so cool.

No, really.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2