Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. Oklahoma

Constant

2 minutes ago, OB3 said:

I think it’s hilarious how every gooner fan was praising Lincoln and grinch 2 games ago. But now they just bash them lmao

Lol.  I was shitting on LR all year and before OSU said I’d be ok with him leaving to LSU.  So not everyone.  And it’s funnier to laugh at teams who lose to Kansas at home if we are gonna talk about ‘lmao’ material.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Do other fans act like this when their coaches get hired away? I wonder if Lincoln knew it was a blood pact when he signed the contract.

"Fans" are fucking morons.  Most of them think these coaches and players have loyalty to their "school" they probably didn't even go to.

You bought a t-shirt from Walmart and you spend your meager paycheck going to games.  Meanwhile, LR and other players who transfer are making business decisions. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's a traitor because he went to USC? At least the SMU fans calling Dykes a traitor have a bit more to stand on because he went to TCU. I mean, I think those people are childish, too, but it makes more sense. 

People are not angry because he went to USC. People are angry because he made this decision months ago and loafed through a season with a team that was supposed to be his best. He had zero interest in beating OSU and extending the season. He canceled a Baylor game-week practice for “personal reasons” for crying out loud.

Looking back at this season it makes a whole lot more sense with the context that he had a foot out of the door once Helton was fired. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
13 minutes ago, ztejas said:
He's a traitor because he went to USC? At least the SMU fans calling Dykes a traitor have a bit more to stand on because he went to TCU. I mean, I think those people are childish, too, but it makes more sense. 

We would have been pissed if Prime Mack left us for 0u.

Yeah .. but, we probably would have had the last laugh if it had trashed OU’s program for 12 years and counting.

1 minute ago, Constant said:

People are not angry because he went to USC. People are angry because he made this decision months ago and loafed through a season with a team that was supposed to be his best. He had zero interest in beating OSU and extending the season. He canceled a Baylor game-week practice for “personal reasons” for crying out loud.

Looking back at this season makes a whole lot more sense with the context that he had a foot out of the door once Helton was fired. 

Offense sure looked a lot better last night.  Sure it was a disinterested Oregon but we looked worse against fucking Kansas.  That pussy clearly mailed it in.  There’s a reason none of the players followed him to USC.  Caleb loved that guy so I’m a bit surprised because I thought he would anyway - hard to argue with what LR has done w QB’s.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

People are angry because he made this decision months ago and loafed through a season with a team that was supposed to be his best.

Yeah I don't really buy that. I just don't think you were very good. You got better after you benched Rattler but that's it. Getting this team to 10 wins was still a pretty good job. You could have been 8-4 pretty easily. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Looking back at this season makes a whole lot more sense with the context that he had a foot out of the door once Helton was fired. 

I would have loved to know what Riley was thinking while watching that last night? I wonder if he had any buyers remorse?

Yeah I don't really buy that. I just don't think you were very good. You got better after you benched Rattler but that's it. Getting this team to 10 wins was still a pretty good job. You could have been 8-4 pretty easily. 

I don’t buy it either. Our broke-ass team had the Sooners dead-to-rights until Thompson hurt his thumb.

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You’re definitely wrong here.  LR struggled vs KU.  The play calling was more inspired last night.  LR ditched the run several times when OU had no issues running.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re definitely wrong here.  LR struggled vs KU.  The play calling was more inspired last night.  LR ditched the run several times when OU had no issues running.  

I'm willing to believe he was a little distracted but I don't think he just mailed in the entire season. You wound up starting a true frosh down the stretch - it's hard to have that high of a ceiling regardless of how talented the kid is. 

Last night doesn't serve as a big data point for me. Oregon was short handed and even when they weren't this year they got boat raced twice by the one good team they played in the 2nd half of the season. A very meh 7-5 Texas team kicked the shit out of a ranked Utah team 2 years ago in this game. Bowl games don't always tell you a ton about who the teams really are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm willing to believe he was a little distracted but I don't think he just mailed in the entire season. You wound up starting a true frosh down the stretch - it's hard to have that high of a ceiling regardless of how talented the kid is. 

Last night doesn't serve as a big data point for me. Oregon was short handed and even when they weren't this year they got boat raced twice by the one good team they played in the 2nd half of the season. A very meh 7-5 Texas team kicked the shit out of a ranked Utah team 2 years ago in this game. Bowl games don't always tell you a ton about who the teams really are.

Plus the PAC 12 was so fucking overrated.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Everyone knows this game doesn’t mean shit big picture. I think he’s just saying Cale did a good job calling plays and sticking with what worked. There were plenty of times this season Lincoln would move away from things that were working. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All I know is, watching OU fans try to pretzel themselves into telling us their 84% winning coach with 4 Big 12 titless 4 playoff appearances, 2 Heisman winners and 5 first round NFL picks in 5 years being overrated is very entertaining with all their made up fan fiction in their head.

This offseason is especially the silliest it's ever been. 

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All I know is, watching OU fans try to pretzel themselves into telling us their 84% winning coach with 4 Big 12 titless 4 playoff appearances, 2 Heisman winners and 5 first round NFL picks in 5 years being overrated is very entertaining with all their made up fan fiction in their head.

Can’t argue with some of the success, but the ultimate goal is a National Championship. His best chance was 2017 as that was his best team, but he made some boneheaded decisions in that game that were pretty costly. We have regressed every year since then from the perspective of winning a NC.

He’s a good coach, but he has plenty of flaws that will show themselves again in California. His loyalty to Wylie and taking his soft ass with him is a mistake. Having Manning continue to coach cornerbacks when he’s a linebacker coach will be another. Hiring the dead weight husband coach of a recruiting organizer so she moves to USC… plenty more. 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

...84% winning coach with 4 Big 12 titless 4 playoff appearances, 2 Heisman winners and 5 first round NFL picks in 5 years being overrated...

I haven't heard too many of my fellow fans ever say he was overrated. But sure have heard (and agree) that we've seen the best he can do. We've had 7 years to see what Riley had to offer - 2 OC, 5 HC. From the outside perspective, it wasn't perhaps too obvious. For those of us watching every game and keeping track, there was a very clear pattern that began to develop.

• The team counter intuitively changing effective (often highly effective) offensive strategy when up by a few scores.
  • The defense having to spend more and more time on the field, especially at the middle-late stages of games.
  • An overall lack of killer instinct and urgency, no matter what the situation.
  • Needlessly close games against teams with (often) far inferior talent.
  • Inexplicable, and frankly indefensible, losses.

We were patient and very happy with 10+ wins, and conference titles... for a while. But as things became drawn out, and the pattern became so entrenched that it culminated into this last season where *everybody* could see what we fans have been experiencing for years - that 'nice guy' attitude, that softened up every aspect of our program, that made us weak-minded in playoffs - where you have to be at your strongest, a strange gentlemenly approach that struggled to match the chip-on-the-shoulder attitude that so many of our opponents brought onto the field. Riley had more than enough opportunities to change and adapt. His comments after the Baylor complaining about them running up the score pretty much underlined, even for his most ardent supporters, that we weren't going to see any improvement. And heading into the SEC, there was no way we stay competitive with that kind of coaching style.

He's not overrated. He's a very very good coach. And I think he will have some really nice success at USC. Who knows? With NIL and some good recruiting and a bit of luck, he might finally take that we're-all-friends-here kind of game to another level. But I think we Sooner fans had enough evidence to see that it was not going to happen at OU, and it can't possibly translate to consistent success in the SEC.

Edited by ouflak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

I know he’s hated here and I get it, but OU is lucky to have someone like him around. He was plucked off the course on a Sunday morning and in recruits house Sunday evening. Calmed the waters, steadied the ship, and provided instant leadership in a moments notice. Not very many programs would have been able to pull that off. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ouflak said:
  • The team counter intuitively changing effective (often highly effective) offensive strategy when up by a few scores.
  • The defense having to spend more and more time on the field, especially at the middle-late stages of games.
  • An overall lack of killer instinct and urgency, no matter what the situation.
  • Needlessly close games against teams with (often) far inferior talent.
  • Inexplicable, and frankly indefensible, losses.

1672886587_images(8).jpeg.93b9ee6462a7d5c45339623bf9bdeeb2.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I guess you don’t know how fans work.  You guys used to have these standards too and would now kill for, late in his time at Texas, Mack’s results.  Why don’t you ask Huck about the actual numbers on where LR was objectively?  That guy rubs one off to objectivity and he agreed with me and many OU fans.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc