2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

9 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Kansas today.  Sucking up homes and spitting them out.

Quite a bit of damage but it appears that the human toll is relatively light. No confirmed deaths and one person in critical condition in a Wichita hospital. This tornado went through the same path as the “Andover “ tornado from 20-30 years ago. That was an EF5. This was much smaller but no less traumatic if you were in its way. My son and his family live in the next town to the east and we’re able to see this one but it moved north of them. There were several more funnels or tornadoes from Wichita northeast to Junction City but this was the only one to do much damage. Tornado season is here. 
ETA the critical condition report is apparently false. The Fire Chief just said there were only 4 injured and none are hospitalized. Good news. 

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Closest rain gauge on hydromet says we got 1.04 inches last night around 1:30am. I slept through it all and I'll fucking take it. 

Edit: minutes after I posted this it started to rain outside. Into it.

Thunder woke me up.  Wasn't expecting that, but hell yeah.

Pea to marble sized hail on the norf side of Amarillo.   Baseball-sized in the area.  3" was in the forecast....

All things being considered... great!!!   Let the rain continue.

We need it so badly!!!

22 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Wake Low:

That was some weird shit. When I checked the windmap there was this weird line of heavy wind from Kerrville to about Luling. The line was slowly moving south but the wind direction was due north. It was like a tropical storm out there for a solid hour at about 3am. 

Dropped my kid off at school this morning and saw lots of downed limbs and flipped trampolines. 

Oh what the heck, generally not significant enough to post about, but FWIW, an outflow boundary* has ventured south - this is from the strong storms in OK and N.TEX last night -  so ahead of it there's a bit of lift enough to cause a few pop-ups in our soupy conditions.  Not really a rain event to talk about, but if you're lucky enough.

Thursday it'll rain.  Not a lot, but most of us.  Front with enough puff will sweep in/through with brief showers for the area.  Lucky if you get more than 1/4" but rain is rain.  Back if it's worth it.

Heat is coming for a few days, as finally a system up north dries us out after the front on Thursday and causes SW flow and higher temps.  Mom's Day will be close to 100°.  Nothing that rare, but not eagerly received.

*Outflow boundaries if you don't remember/know are mini-fronts generated from the cool downbursts of often strong storms that roll into warm moist air and cause a "surfer's wave" of uplift and rain.

Edited by phdhorn

On 5/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, phdhorn said:

Heat is coming for a few days, as finally a system up north dries us out after the front on Thursday and causes SW flow and higher temps.  Mom's Day will be close to 100°.  Nothing that rare, but not eagerly received.

A google search for earliest 100 degree day in Austin history returns  May 4 1984. The Weatherunderground  almanac for May 8th shows the average high at Bergstrom should be 84.6 and the record high is 97. So if by "nothing that rare", you mean a decent chance of breaking the record high for the date, OK. 

This summer is gonna suck major ass....sweaty, sweaty ass. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Mariachis should not be wusses. It’s part of their code.

Come on man, have a heart.  The brass does just fine, but a guitarron is expensive and doesn't fare well in the wet.  

Edited by utee94

Rain is on its way now.  Should be here mid-late afternoon.  Not everyone but most.  A few could be strong and dump rain+hail+wind.  But you know that.  Chance of severe for the area up a little but still not high.  Different story from N.Willie up (N/E).

At some point I'll talk more about the gloom and doom scenarios in recent posts.  Will it happen?  Don't know.  And we won't until it happens.  Hot spring isn't a guarantee of an inferno (2021) yet can be (2011).  BTW there are some parallels yeah sure to 2011 this year, but not completely - some things are quite different.

Anyway, we'll get into that shit another time.  For now, rain→brief cooldown tomorrow a.m.→HOT HOT HOT weekend→slowly getting "less not" ("cooler" is a little whacked word) as the high weakens into next week.  What'll happen after that?  It's a guess.  

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

At some point I'll talk more about the gloom and doom scenarios in recent posts.  Will it happen?  Don't know.  And we won't until it happens.  Hot spring isn't a guarantee of an inferno (2021) yet can be (2011).  BTW there are some parallels yeah sure to 2011 this year, but not completely - some things are quite different.

Yeah, get us the differences. This 100 degree shit in very early May is for the birds. 

Edited by Wally Pryor