Jump to content

2022 Rain Thread


South Austin

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Reminds me of trying to convince my wife to move to Portland -- "too much rain" -- 43 inches per year, Austin is 35 inches, Houston is 53 -- "wut?".

Facts don't matter.

I'm guessing you probably know this, but Portland ranks 3rd in US cities for rainy DAYS per year, at 161 on average.  Austin ranks... well.... not even among "others receiving votes" with only 79 rainy days per year on average.  So, twice as many rainy days in Portland compared to Austin.  The US average is 106 days.

Austin just tends to get heavier rainfall, when it does bother to rain.  Which is, of course, NOT right now...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

San Marcos doesn't get to claim forcefield. I watch time and time again as SM gets nailed while NB gets missed. 

It is hit and miss for sure. I have seen torrential rains here, and then watched other events just say fuck you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm guessing you probably know this, but Portland ranks 3rd in US cities for rainy DAYS per year, at 161 on average.  Austin ranks... well.... not even among "others receiving votes" with only 79 rainy days per year on average.  So, twice as many rainy days in Portland compared to Austin.  The US average is 106 days.

Austin just tends to get heavier rainfall, when it does bother to rain.  Which is, of course, NOT right now...

 

No, you're right, and it speaks to the difference between my wife and I.  She cannot handle gray.  Me?  I might actually be happier when it's gray.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, you're right, and it speaks to the difference between my wife and I.  She cannot handle gray.  Me?  I might actually be happier when it's gray.

Yeah, I'm definitely more like your wife when it comes to that.  As crappy as it is to go... checks notes... over 70 days without any measurable rain at my house as of today, I still prefer sunny over gray.  Gray depresses me.

But here's a song in honor of you:

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, miguelito said:

Mosquitoes checking that forecast like:

 

image.thumb.png.d1dab301735755aff4de62564edc88b6.png

Probably the only silver lining to this hellscape summer is that I haven't been bit by a mosquito in months. And we've got a culver running right behind my backyard. Normally can't even be in the back yard the skeeters are so bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

In the meantime, it's absolutely brutal outside right now.  100 with about 50% humidity, and very little breeze.  It has to happen.  It has to happen.  It has to happen.  

I'm sitting here just staring at it as I feel like this is as close as its going to get to us. PTSD I guess.

 

 

 

 

20220810_135214.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Road Ranger just north of Connally on 35. Half a mind to tell work to fuck off and just drive west until I hit it.

Gotcha.  Those 2 interchanges are damn near identical.  Yeah, I wouldn't mind cracking a coldie and driving toward Meridian right now until I hit the relief, then just stand there like Andy Dufresne.  

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Gotcha.  Those 2 interchanges are damn near identical.  Yeah, I wouldn't mind cracking a coldie and driving toward Meridian right now until I hit the relief, then just stand there like Andy Dufresne.  

Mass hysteria on TSTC's campus as it's pouring. I believe the first rain here (not at ACT) since early June.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s pouring in Grapevine/Colleyville area.


Yep getting pounded for 30 straight minutes here in Keller. After almost 70 days with no rain it was entertaining watching the first 15 minutes or so just run right the fuck off the ground into the streets.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Getting pounded in north Dfw and I’m enjoying every damn minute of it

Ditto.  10 year old lab had forgotten what rain  is.  Looked very confused for a few seconds before frolicking around the yard for a bit.  Then it thundered, so back inside and hiding under my desk. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...