Roommate serves vegan bacon, gets life ruined.

South Austin

A woman claims that she pressed charges against her roommate after she switched her typical food out with vegan alternatives, leading to disastrous consequences.  The story was posted on Reddit, and the author says she was looking for a replacement roommate after one of hers moved out.

She says she met a girl named Erin, who said she was a vegetarian, but that it wasn't a problem if her roommates weren't.

A day after she moved in, Erin apparently said she wanted to do something nice, and cooked pancakes, bacon strips, and hash browns.  The woman says she has some severe allergies but didn't mention them when she asked what was in the food.  "She told me it was regular bacon. Not that it was fake bacon or that it had soy," the post reads.

After she says she took a few bites and something tasted off, Erin apparently revealed the switch.  "At this point, she does a 'Ta-da,' and smugly told us 'I bet it tastes exactly like meat,'" she wrote.

The author says she then began panicking because she is highly allergic to soy.

She says Erin began apologizing, but that she was already going into anaphylactic shock.  "Throat closing up, dizziness, the works," the post reads. "My best friend freaks out and calls an ambulance. I had to stay in the hospital for two days."

It continues on to say that the cost of her stay was expensive and that she filed a complaint with the police because food tampering is a felony.  Food tampering laws vary from state to state. However, according to the Department of Justice, to be convicted of food tampering, it must be done "with reckless disregard for the risk that another person will be placed in danger of death or bodily injury."

The woman says that her friend had luckily filmed the incident, and Erin had to plead guilty to a low degree felony, receiving community service instead of jail time.  She adds that she also ended up suing Erin for compensation for her hospital fees, and won that case as well, leading Erin to have her college scholarship canceled and to go into debt.  In the comments, she specified that she initially asked her directly to pay her hospital bill, but Erin apparently refused.

"I know she is the a****** for lying about food. I wanna know whether I am the a****** for everything I did after," the story concludes. "Because bottom line is, I basically screwed a person's life because they put wrong ingredients on breakfast that they made only 'to do something nice.'"

Link

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

So she gets to answer yes to the question 'have you ever been convicted of a felony' for the rest of her life just for cooking up some foofoo bacon? Although when she explains why on the application, that alone will get her some interviews.

Not in my office it won't !!!  Vegan bacon ??!!  Are you serious man !!??  Haven't we already met them 2/3 of the way with the lettuce, and tomato ??!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

So she gets to answer yes to the question 'have you ever been convicted of a felony' for the rest of her life just for cooking up some foofoo bacon? Although when she explains why on the application, that alone will get her some interviews.

"Tell me in your own words how fucking insane you are..."

23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Probably does CrossFit too. Is CrossFit still a thing or did Covid kill it? Seems like it’s all Peloton and intermittent fasting now.

Doubtful, the Crossfit crowd tends to trend in the paleo/keto direction.

I would guess she does yoga.

• Hook 'Em 1

In the future semi-benevolent dictatorship of Brisketexan, manufacturing or serving vegan bacon will be punishable by 2 days in the stocks, minimum.
Also, at one (but only one, thank God) of the German Christmas markets we visited this year, I saw this abomination....and I didn't even know what to think.....

01f9f548da366caa904fb19dfabf66d7.jpg

• Rage+1 2

On a serious note, I have a strong dislike for vegans on principle. And vegan bacon is an abomination based on principle as well. But what kind of dumb idiot let's a vegan cook breakfast for them while having an allergy to soy? Did she think the vegan was going to cook up real bacon for her? Does she even have an idea why some people are vegan? And she thought it was a good idea to eat "meat" that a vegan cooked up for her without mentioning that she is allergic to the primary thing that vegans use as a meat substitute? I sincerely hope that she has never bred. Our future as mankind is at stake.