Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

Awesome Chris Farley GIF

I can definitely see how it would be “meh” if you have ignored a large part of canon because it is animated.  That said, it’s your loss if you ignore a large part of canon because it is animated.  

And we now know why we never see Ahsoka without some sort of headdress.   That “hairline” looks weird.  

• Hook 'Em 3

That was an amazing episode, so much to take in. The duel between Anakin and Ahsoka, Anakin showing the grace of a jedi but mixed with his power, then morphing into raw power as a sith. The live action Clone Wars and seeing how young she was, the cartoon didn't really portray it that way or maybe was limited from being cartoon, incredible.
Filoni is knocking it out if the park

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

So he was just a hallucination after Ashoka’s near death experience, and not some kind of post-Vader soul spirit reaching out from the great beyond?

I don’t believe that, because they were flying over the water looking for her in the same area, she wasn’t there and then she was. Plus jacen the force user could hear them- and I think Hera could too?  And while a force sensitive person might be hearing the thoughts of someone, would those thoughts include the sounds effects of light sabers being wielded?

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You must have to be a fan of the cartoons to be able to get into this. I’m in until the bitter end but this is mediocre at best.

If you haven't seen TCW they you really are missing out on a ton of foundational story for the Filoni-verse. I have to strongly disagree with you that this is mediocre, you sound like a contrarian YouTuber trolling for clicks lol

The live action clone wars bits really drove home how much Ahsoka was a fuckin CHILD during that war. She was a child soldier leading men to their deaths, even during the Seige of Mandalore. Which seriously Cooter, you should watch the last 4 episodes of TCW. It's the Seige and it's fucking incredible. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If you haven't seen TCW they you really are missing out on a ton of foundational story for the Filoni-verse. I have to strongly disagree with you that this is mediocre, you sound like a contrarian YouTuber trolling for clicks lol

The live action clone wars bits really drove home how much Ahsoka was a fuckin CHILD during that war. She was a child soldier leading men to their deaths, even during the Seige of Mandalore. Which seriously Cooter, you should watch the last 4 episodes of TCW. It's the Seige and it's fucking incredible. 

Agree with all of this. 
The conversation between Ahsoka and Anakin during last night's episode while on Mandalore is the exact same discussion she had with Rex on the bridge of the Venator after the Siege.

Two people who were born of the Clone Wars. Ahsoka who was shaped from it through her childhood, and Rex who was quite literally created for the Clone Wars. Poignant scene, and underscores their relationship. Ahsoka really questioned what she had become and what she would become. Then, moments later, she sees what Anakin has become. 

The 501st wearing the orange helmets out of respect to Ahsoka was a nice touch to live action last night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I think Filoni made her look too young in the first flashback. In the cartoon she was a teenager. The clone wars lasted about 3 years, and at the end of it she defeated Darth Maul. In last nights episode, she looked about 8 years old. 

Young Ahsoka was also Young Gamora in Infinity War. 

She's 16 years old.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Man, it's amazing what an actor can do when they're not fed shitty dialogue and directing from an idiot. Nice work, Hayden.

It's a truly great performance from Hayden but Matt Lanner really deserves credit imo for doing what was effectively a character study on Anakin via the animated series. The Anakin we saw this episode was NOT the prequels Anakin, and all of the depth in this episode came from his TCW development

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It's a truly great performance from Hayden but Matt Lanner really deserves credit imo for doing what was effectively a character study on Anakin via the animated series. The Anakin we saw this episode was NOT the prequels Anakin, and all of the depth in this episode came from his TCW development

that's funny, I had the same observation (that Christensen was playing the Clone Wars version of Anakin).  In the prequels he's totally humorless and has all of the complexity of a toddler.  Lucas made Darth Vader BORING. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was sad that neither Clone Wars or Rebel expanded on the Mortis arc as it was pretty damn important for the Force. Filoni seems to be using this series to expand on what came from that arc, how Anakin and Ahsoka are 2 of the 3, Ahsoka obviously is the daughter, Anakin is either the Father or the Son. There are a few breakdown videos which address this theme.

Also love the reference to LOTR with Ahsoka becoming Ahsoka the White. 

This episode reminds me of the heaviness and visuals of the last 2 episodes of Clone Wars. Filoni knocked it out of the park.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

So Ashoka is a Jedi Master now, right?

With her becoming Ahsoka the White, similar to Gandalf, I would assume yes. I think he journey in the WBW was her test of overcoming her inner Dark Side, similar to Luke's journey on Dagobah and alluded to in the Mortis arc, and her going back to Jedi's being peace keepers and not warriors. It was alluded in some breakdown videos that Anakin was acting as The Father in the WBW training Ahsoka back to balance in the Force.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I was sad that neither Clone Wars or Rebel expanded on the Mortis arc as it was pretty damn important for the Force. Filoni seems to be using this series to expand on what came from that arc, how Anakin and Ahsoka are 2 of the 3, Ahsoka obviously is the daughter, Anakin is either the Father or the Son. There are a few breakdown videos which address this theme.

This episode reminds me of the heaviness and visuals of the last 2 episodes of Clone Wars. Filoni knocked it out of the park.

I didn't mind that episode but I'd prefer they leave as much mythology as possible untold or described as rumored or lost.  I don't want to go back to "I've never seen this many midichlorians or whatever they're called before!". 

Just now, LCHorn said:

I didn't mind that episode but I'd prefer they leave as much mythology as possible untold or described as rumored or lost.  I don't want to go back to "I've never seen this many midichlorians or whatever they're called before!". 

The Mortis arc was fucking awesome. It expands on balance in the Force, and it ties in directly to Anakin and Ahsoka because of that arc, especially with the spirit/Force of The Daughter being in Ahsoka and Anakin as The Chosen One to bring back balance to the Force. I want Filoni to expand on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

With her becoming Ahsoka the White, similar to Gandalf, I would assume yes. I think he journey in the WBW was her test of overcoming her inner Dark Side, similar to Luke's journey on Dagobah and alluded to in the Mortis arc, and her going back to Jedi's being peace keepers and not warriors. It was alluded in some breakdown videos that Anakin was acting as The Father in the WBW training Ahsoka back to balance in the Force.

I'm not sold on that she went to the WBW. This felt like more of a force vision ala-ESB where Luke had to face his inner darkness. Right before Ahsoka spared Anakin, it looked like her eyes flashed sith for a split second - and facing that hatred and choosing life anyways WAS the test

I think Anakin is more the son in the Mortis metaphor - it would mesh with Ahsoka being the embodiment of The Daughter, and being the foil to Anakin's choice of death

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I'm not sold on that she went to the WBW. This felt like more of a force vision ala-ESB where Luke had to face his inner darkness. Right before Ahsoka spared Anakin, it looked like her eyes flashed sith for a split second - and facing that hatred and choosing life anyways WAS the test

I think Anakin is more the son in the Mortis metaphor - it would mesh with Ahsoka being the embodiment of The Daughter, and being the foil to Anakin's choice of death

This series takes place after Anakin is redeemed by killing the Emperor and his force ghost as Anakin in the end of the Return of the Jedi. For that reason, I think the Anakin we see in the WBW is of the Father, he's the one maintaining the balance. He helps Ahsoka to bring balance in herself. 

Or it could be as you said as a continuation of the Mortis struggle, that the Son/Anakin is trying to corrupt the Daughter/Ahsoka. The Daugher/Ahsoka again defeats the Son's attempt to corrupt her.

45 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I don't want to go back to "I've never seen this many midichlorians or whatever they're called before!". 

Maybe midichlorians aren't what give a force user their abilities.  What if force sensitivity causes midichlorians to flourish, kind of like taking probiotics?  Maybe force sensitive users are good hosts for midichlorians because midichlorians need access to the force for survival?  The more force sensitive you are, the more midichlorians thrive in you.  

Midichlorians could just be a detectable indicator of force sensitivity, not the cause.

The prequels weren't definitive about how the relationship of midichlorians to the force.  There is still room for mystery.  

16 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Maybe midichlorians aren't what give a force user their abilities.  What if force sensitivity causes midichlorians to flourish, kind of like taking probiotics?  Maybe force sensitive users are good hosts for midichlorians because midichlorians need access to the force for survival?  The more force sensitive you are, the more midichlorians thrive in you.  

Midichlorians could just be a detectable indicator of force sensitivity, not the cause.

The prequels weren't definitive about how the relationship of midichlorians to the force.  There is still room for mystery.  

maybe the midichlorians were the friends we made along the way?  or they were in our hearts all along?

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

image.gif.46761022ab33d87185f70e392f7a0102.gif

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I'm not sold on that she went to the WBW

If you’re right, why go through the trouble of putting the scene in a place that remarkably resembles this

IMG_4375.thumb.jpeg.4c24530b5d96c7016d00ca4c03674437.jpeg

? Plus having Jacen hear the lightsabers, no life previously detected by the scanners, Ahsoka time traveling…. Seems like if it were just a Jedi vision the writers and show creators went through a ton of unnecessary stuff to create something very similar to the World Between Worlds  

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I definitely don't want to get mired down on this (or shit on it for those of you who really like explanations), but I think Star Wars is best when it's thematically rich and plot simple.  Once you start explaining trade federation bullshit, midichlorians, etc., it just doesn't pair well with a story drawn from classical archetypes.  It's a "space opera", after all.  I don't think its an accident that Filoni seems to be the best interpreter of Lucas's vision and has cut his teeth telling stories written for children. 

19 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

If you’re right, why go through the trouble of putting the scene in a place that remarkably resembles this

IMG_4375.thumb.jpeg.4c24530b5d96c7016d00ca4c03674437.jpeg

? Plus having Jacen hear the lightsabers, no life previously detected by the scanners, Ahsoka time traveling…. Seems like if it were just a Jedi vision the writers and show creators went through a ton of unnecessary stuff to create something very similar to the World Between Worlds  

It's Filoni. It's definitely WBW. This is basically "Rebels Season 5, Live Action but without Seb". Re-watch the scene when she wakes up, stands up and realizes where she is and then sighs, "not this shit again."

Edited by crash_davis

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Couldn't agree more. Filoni and Lanter really crafted the definitive Anakin character.  Hayden's performance was measured, deliberate, and emotional. This was the character everyone expected in the prequels. 

I also think what we saw was the WBW, not a vision. But, we'll see what happens in the next few episodes. 

12 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Awesome Chris Farley GIF

I can definitely see how it would be “meh” if you have ignored a large part of canon because it is animated.  That said, it’s your loss if you ignore a large part of canon because it is animated.  

Especially with Filoni running things now alongside Favs, he's bringing CW and Rebels more and more into the mainstream of SW canon.  Not that is was every that far removed.

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Absolutely.  There's so much depth and texture to last night's episode, all of which came from Clone Wars. 

And I'll add another mention for Hayden's performance.  Outstanding.

16 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Great episode. Hayden in a handful of minutes far surpassed his acting in the entire prequel trilogy. 

Siege of Mandalore?! Fuck yes! Even the music in that sequence was the same as the last 2 Clone Wars episodes. 

Can't wait until next week!!!

I noticed the music too, same as from the final eps of Clone Wars. Made me want to go watch those again. So good.

17 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

So I thought the same thing initially last week, but then realized it actually kind of makes sense in their world. It probably would in ours too if we grew up in a war zone. Sabine and Ezra - essentially the adopted kids of Hera and Kanan - were young teens when they started fighting (and killing) the Empire. Kanan served as a Padawan (kid) in the clone wars. Hera was a kid when she started. Jacen is more or less the same age as all of them. It is at least consistent

Yeah I a comment on Reddit noting that having young Ashoka in live action really drove home the fact how YOUNG she was when she was leading squads of Clones in the Clone Wars. Like in animation you may intellectually know she's a kid but because of the heightened reality of animation it doesn't really drive it home... but in live action it's like you realize DAMN she really was like a teenager leading campaigns in a WAR.  

Kind of shows you how she and others weren't wrong that the Jedi were kind of fucked in the head.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's like all those seasons of Clone Wars and Rebels are culminating in this series. All those story lines are getting expounded on and hopefully completed. CW and Rebels at first seemed like two different shows but now with this series, they are just one giant show with Ahsoka being the common denominator.

Ahsoka will go down as the most flushed out character in the entire SW universe.

This pisses me off even more about the last trilogy. What could have been with Filoni leading the story lines...

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I asked about this the night it dropped but didn’t really get any traction. I think Anakins arc  being the chosen one means he needs to go to a higher plane of existence in the after life. Him replacing the father makes sense to me. Ahsoka being the representation of what Anakin could have been makes her perfect for the daughter. Just don’t know who would fit the son role. 

23 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

We’re the fuck was that Hayden Christensen in the PT?!?  Jesus Christ. I want a shot for shot remake of the PT now Filoni directing. 

23 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Great episode. Hayden in a handful of minutes far surpassed his acting in the entire prequel trilogy. 

Siege of Mandalore?! Fuck yes! Even the music in that sequence was the same as the last 2 Clone Wars episodes. 
Can't wait until next week!!!

He looked great, sounded older, but hearing his voice, and this dialogue confused me:

Anakin: The thing is Snips, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Ahsoka: Don't... don't care?

Anakin: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and kill a few extra separatists or their droids or take out an extra ship, I don't get an extra day off, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Snips: I have eight different bosses right now.

Ahsoka: What are you sayhing Anakin?

Anakin: Eight bosses.

Ahsoka: Eight?

Anakin: Eight, Snips. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my limbs. But you know, Snips, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get booted out of the Jedi Order!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Have to be that guy: wtf with Hera leaving her child in a combat zone?

Maybe I missed something, but that annoyed me until the rest kicked in.

Tell us you've never been dropped off at a mall in the 80s with $20 for most of the day while your parents were at a fishbowl party, without telling us you've never been dropped off at a mall in the 80s with $20 for most of the day while your parents were at a fishbowl party.

• Haha 1

Finally got to watch it. Wow!

Filoni is a master.

Snips live action was pretty amazing, a teenager leading soldiers to their death like canon fodder.

The 501st and captain Rex…

The 332nd and Commander sexy Rex, along with the orange marking clones!

Anakin totally seemed like the meshing again of himself and “the son” in the mortis arc, teaching and tempting Ahsoka “the daughter”.

Holy damn that was pretty badass.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tell us you've never been dropped off at a mall in the 80s with $20 for most of the day while your parents were at a fishbowl party, without telling us you've never been dropped off at a mall in the 80s with $20 for most of the day while your parents were at a fishbowl party.

Ha! My parents dgaf about me, but they would have never cruised down to Juarez and droppped me off at a park while they went shopping.

Edited by MissingInAction

2 hours ago, Levi said:

Just don’t know who would fit the son role. 

It's been alluded to and discussed in breakdown videos. Baylon Skoll and Shin Hati are named after wolves in Norse mythology. Skoll chases the Sun while Hati chases the Moon. Could "Sun" and "Son" be used interchangeably? If so, would Baylon be chasing to be the Son? With how important wolves were in Rebels, it's interesting that they are named after wolves. Also the Loth-wolf "Dume" just so happens to be Kanan's birth name of Dume. Some have theorized that the Loth-wolf Dume is Kanan reincarnated or somesuch.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:43 PM, Captainant said:

I think it's a wink at the legends canon and his bid to have some star wars outside of/distinct from the Skywalker saga. Who knows, maybe Kanans kid will lead the empire reborn or some shit like the EU did when it ran out of crazy ideas lol

Jacen will get murdered by Kylo Ren

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

It's been alluded to and discussed in breakdown videos. Baylon Skoll and Shin Hati are named after wolves in Norse mythology. Skoll chases the Sun while Hati chases the Moon. Could "Sun" and "Son" be used interchangeably? If so, would Baylon be chasing to be the Son? With how important wolves were in Rebels, it's interesting that they are named after wolves. Also the Loth-wolf "Dume" just so happens to be Kanan's birth name of Dume. Some have theorized that the Loth-wolf Dume is Kanan reincarnated or somesuch.

Baylon seems more Dooku dark side than full on lunatic dark side. That’s really interesting about the wolf angle tho, I haven’t heard of that theory yet. Maul could be an interesting pick, too.