Vintage menu

Armybrat

A friend who lives in Ware, Massachusetts posted these pics from an old local hotel restaurant. He said it started as a speakeasy during Prohibition and continued until it burned down in the 1960s.

No, I’ve never been there.

F3631949-37E8-4C1B-927F-8A783169F46B.jpeg

B1D14FB7-0BB7-445A-A1DF-3CDEF51B5C3C.jpeg

A2EFB31E-37C1-43B5-82BD-FD1B36A3FAF8.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

And what the hell is an old age tax?  Did places used to charge seniors more?

A little bit of digging revealed that the Massachusetts old age tax was a 5% state tax on meals that cost over $1.00 to help fund the Old Age Assistance Fund, a state program that was similar to Social Security and was in existence from 1941 to 1955.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I like the spaghetti and meatballs option.  I also like the spaghetti and fried chicken leg option.  But they do not offer a spaghetti and meatballs with fried chicken leg option.

Three stars, room for improvement.

Go to Jollibee for that.

Enjoy the blue plate option at this fine establishment, or try the pizza places that exist in Ware presently.

5 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Go to Jollibee for that.

Enjoy the blue plate option at this fine establishment, or try the pizza places that exist in Ware presently.

Holy shit -- just googled.....

family-bucket-treats_360x.png?v=16256860

IN.

It appears that the closest location is San Antonio......I'm down.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I like the spaghetti and meatballs option.  I also like the spaghetti and fried chicken leg option.  But they do not offer a spaghetti and meatballs with fried chicken leg option.

Three stars, room for improvement.

chicken legs?  I thought you were a gizzard man.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I celebrate the entire fried yardbird catalog.

The best item is the hardest to find -- fried chicken hearts.  Do those right, and I could eat about.....a hunnert of em.

Which on Armybrat's menu,  would have set me back 35 cents.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The best item is the hardest to find -- fried chicken hearts.  Do those right, and I could eat about.....a hunnert of em.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One of the best things about traveling in South America were the chicken hearts at the churrascarias. I miss them, now that I don't travel there anymore. 

Edited by Mo Horn

Just now, Mo Horn said:

One of the best things about traveling in South America were the chicken hearts at the churrascarias. I miss them, not that I don't travel there anymore. 

HEB regularly has them, .99 a pound.  I toss a package in a ziploc with some oil and season salt.  Then pop 8-10 each on a bamboo skewer, and you end up with a dozen of the best tailgate snacks you'll ever have.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

HEB regularly has them, .99 a pound.  I toss a package in a ziploc with some oil and season salt.  Then pop 8-10 each on a bamboo skewer, and you end up with a dozen of the best tailgate snacks you'll ever have.

Unfortunately, I'm several hundred miles away from the nearest HEB, but I could probably find them around here... or maybe when we're visiting our kids in Texas. 

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

low and slow or high heat?

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

low carb and keto friendly !!!

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Moo-Moo’s in Victoria, Tx. Tuesdays, all gizzard orders are half priced. When you order, they yell your order to the kitchen, yes freshly fried. Get the root beer 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Damn, a burger and a beer for under 25 cents.   

When he graduated college, my old man went to Los Angeles to look for a job (some dumbass buddy of his told him they were plentiful there back in 1959....they weren't).  He had no money, so he stayed at a scary-ass motel in Watts, and could only afford to eat one meal a day -- he went to the joint next door, got five fried chicken wings and a Falstaff for 50 cents, ate it on the curb chatting it up with the locals.  Did that for a week.

Came back to Texas, found a job in the oil patch.  Still fondly remembers the cheap wings and beer.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

just ask the butcher, or what

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

A friend who lives in Ware, Massachusetts posted these pics from an old local hotel restaurant. He said it started as a speakeasy during Prohibition and continued until it burned down in the 1960s.

"Italian" spaghetti?  As opposed to German or French?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Used to do that with our group dove shoots.  Takes a few dozen birds.  I'd take them all as nobody wanted them, season up and flash grill or better yet fry them up.  Nom Nom....

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Used to do that with our group dove shoots.  Takes a few dozen birds.  I'd take them all as nobody wanted them, season up and flash grill or better yet fry them up.  Nom Nom....

Yep -- when we clean a mess of dove or ducks, I take all the hearts -- bonus for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Bet Fiesta would have them?  Or a whole pig head.  Or both....

Name an innard, Fiesta's got it.  Or 99 Ranch -- the asian markets are always good for such things.

And La Finca on N. Lamar has a pig head (young pig, not the full size) for like $12 -- and they'll use their bandsaw to cut it in half.  Roasts up crispy, I'm a big fan.

But again....back to spaghetti and fried chicken.....I remember when I was a kid, Denny's kid's menu had dinners for 99 cents each, and a "kid" was up to 12 or 13.  And I was a growing boy by that age.  Sometimes mom would take me there, and I'd order three dinners - spaghetti, a burger, and a fried chicken leg dinner.  A $3 kick-ass combo meal.  

At least at the HEBs I frequent on the NW side of town, they're just over there with the chicken.  In the "random parts" section with the wings and livers and such.

Heb does have chicken hearts. And chicken feets. And some nice cow tripe. Some have cow heads wrapped in butcher paper. It all eats good. 

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

E344BB3B-A344-4BC4-933A-802CCFFCAD15.gif.4c122bc0a6e836cada0b133e428a832b.gif

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep -- when we clean a mess of dove or ducks, I take all the hearts -- bonus for me.

never thought of cooking them.  I'll have to give them a try--- when we clean birds, we usually feed hearts to our labrador retrievers as a reward--- they love 'em!

12 hours ago, LosIllini said:

never thought of cooking them.  I'll have to give them a try--- when we clean birds, we usually feed hearts to our labrador retrievers as a reward--- they love 'em!

Then keep it up, especially if they're helping retrieve the birds.  

A camp favorite is sautéed deer heart with onions and peppers.  It's our homage to the animal as well.  Dove numbers have been lower as of late, and getting a big group is sometimes hard (kids, sports, etc).....but back in the day, when we had dozens and dozens of birds between us.  We'd gorge on fried hearts and bacon-wrapped goodness.  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Then keep it up, especially if they're helping retrieve the birds.  

A camp favorite is sautéed deer heart with onions and peppers.  It's our homage to the animal as well.  Dove numbers have been lower as of late, and getting a big group is sometimes hard (kids, sports, etc).....but back in the day, when we had dozens and dozens of birds between us.  We'd gorge on fried hearts and bacon-wrapped goodness.  

I've never had it fresh, but I've had crock pot deer heart with onions and peppers and it's absolutely fantastic.  A buddy of mine made a bunch for 4th of July last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I stopped and ate at the restaurant at Hotel Settles in Big Spring last year on a road trip back home from New Mexico.  They had one of their menus of similar vintage hanging up.  I'm not sure of the exact year but similar prices anyway.  I wish I had taken a picture.  /csb

Edited by WBT