The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

On 4/21/2023 at 11:03 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I guess I don't understand the hoopla or the religious fervor which some people have for this topic.  I got a really nasty DM from somebody who accused me of being a sellout, an Elon fanboy etc..

For somebody like me it's a simple value proposition. The ROI is well worth the 8 bucks, if only for vastly increased functionality.

I really think that plenty of people would have happily paid for “Twitter Pro” or “Twitter Creator” if it had been separated from the blue check.  

The “Pay the 8” crowd mistakenly conflated the blue check with getting status. It was the opposite, people with status got the blue check as basically ID confirmation. And there was a kind of status associated with it, but only because the people who got it were important enough to care about their ID. 

Kind of a cargo cult mentality, as if by building landing strips and fake control towers you can entice airplanes to land and bring you stuff. Or believing that you can go to a Hollywood club, buy the expensive bottle service in the VIP lounge, and that will result in being as cool and famous as Ryan Gosling, who is getting his comped. And just like any club that is too cheap and welcoming of hoi pilloi and uggos in the VIP section— Ryan Gosling will stop coming and he sure as shit isn’t going to pay for it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you need a warning label to suss out that RT and Tass are propaganda mouthpieces then I don't know what to tell you.  You should probably go ahead and crawl off into the woods and die alone.

This is at least 70% of the population 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you need a warning label to suss out that RT and Tass are propaganda mouthpieces then I don't know what to tell you.  You should probably go ahead and crawl off into the woods and die alone.

You should pass that along to Elon, since he's repeated their talking points.  For a "smart" businessman, he gets suckered by idiots on the internet a lot.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We have warning labels telling people not to reach under the lawnmower while the blade is turning

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I guess I don't understand the hoopla or the religious fervor which some people have for this topic.  I got a really nasty DM from somebody who accused me of being a sellout, an Elon fanboy etc..

For somebody like me it's a simple value proposition. The ROI is well worth the 8 bucks, if only for vastly increased functionality.

I like you. But this is a horrific post and position of which you should be ashamed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I like you. But this is a horrific post and position of which you should be ashamed. 

It's easy for people like me who have a fraction of his twitter following to stop posting, put up some sticky posts directing people to other social media platforms or our websites, but it's a part of his business/brand, and I can't fault him for that aspect.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's easy for people like me who have a fraction of his twitter following to stop posting, put up some sticky posts directing people to other social media platforms or our websites, but it's a part of his business/brand, and I can't fault him for that aspect.

yeah, but he is surely not naive to the backstory here. I would have had a lot more respect for coming at it from that angle than the "what in tarnation is everyone so upset about $8 fer?" that we got. it's reeks of disingenuity. sorta reminds me of a certain animal-tobacco poster here.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right, but he literally said it's just about ROI for him. This implies that he doesn't care about the real damage to people that Musk is enabling or at the very least that it's less important than his bottom line. That is beyond tone deaf and the best case scenario is that he just hasn't thought about what he's doing or what he said. And if that's the best case scenario then you need to reevaluate some things. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Right, but he literally said it's just about ROI for him. This implies that he doesn't care about the real damage to people that Musk is enabling or at the very least that it's less important than his bottom line. That is beyond tone deaf and the best case scenario is that he just hasn't thought about what he's doing or what he said. And if that's the best case scenario then you need to reevaluate some things. 

Yup.

It’s just a more polite way of fatty’s argument that money = values.

It’s shitty.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yup.

It’s just a more polite way of fatty’s argument that money = values.

It’s shitty.

We should expect everyone to give up their business to take a stand against people we disagree with politically.   You’re in the 5k a night overnight stay and $250 bedpan  business iirc, certainly not a political hot button owned and run by people you disagree with.  But that salary tho…

On 4/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

It is worth it just for your Willie posts yesterday.  That one about Dewey Groom and Charlie Pride was awesome. I had to look up Dewey Groom because it's such a great name that I thought you made it up.  I also loved the photo and comment re: 17-year-old Willie and his grandmother. Also that 1836 letter from the San Jacinto veteran was one of the best things I've read in a long time so fuck the haters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:03 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

We were in Gothenburg last night for the Walpurgis night festivities…which largely consist of a parade (the Cortège) of half-assed floats put together by students making fun of a variety of shit.

Among the shit ripe for lampooning was Elmo:

2dc4be233662cae7c30848680416d124.jpg
ed0e6381c7e012ae5126d47e0714c475.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's an example of why I pay 8 dollars per month. This is one of the best Texas history related things you'll ever read. I could obviously not have tweeted this with the 280-character limit.

Traces of Texas reader Doug Giddings' 3 x grandfather, Giles Albert Giddings, wrote this letter to his parents on April 10th, 1836 ---- 11 days before the Battle of San Jacinto. Giles ended up dying about six months later of wounds received during the battle, one of 9 Texians to die either at San Jacinto or because of wounds received there. He was only 23 years old but his words are powerful. I mean, "rather than be driven out of the country or submit to be a slave, I will leave my bones to bleach on the plains of Texas..." How much better could it be written than that? Here's the text of the letter:

"Giles Albert Giddings 10 Apr 1836 Texas
Four Miles from Headquarters April 10, 1836.

Dear Parents: Since I last wrote you I have been engaged in arranging an expedition against the Indians, who have committed many depredations against the frontier. On my return to the settlements, I learned that our country was again invaded by a merciless horde of Mexicans, who were waging war or extermination against the inhabitants. A call was made for all friends of humanity to rise in arms and resist the foe. Men were panic stricken and fled, leaving their all behind them. I could not reconcile it to my feelings to leave Texas without an effort to save it. Accordingly, I bent my course for the army and arrived last evening at this place. I shall enter Camp this morning as a volunteer. The army, commanded by General Houston, is lying on the west side of the Brazos, 20 miles from San Felipe. The enemy is in that place awaiting an attack. It is reported Houston will attack them in the morning. What will be the result, or the fate of Texas, is in the bowels of futurity. Yet, I think we are engaged in the cause of justice, and hope the God of battles will protect us. The enemy's course has been the most bloody that has ever been recorded on the page of history. Our garrison at San Antonio was taken and massacred; another detachment of seven hundred, commanded by Colonel Fannin, and posted at La Bahia, after surrendering prisoners of war, were led out and shot down like beasts. Only one escaped to tell their melancholy fate. In their course they show no quarter to age, sex, or condition, all are massacred without mercy. If such conduct is not sufficient to arouse the patriotic feelings of the sons of liberty, I know not what will. I was born in a land of freedom, and taught to lisp the name of liberty with my infant tongue, and rather than be driven out of the country or submit to be a slave, I will leave my bones to bleach on the plains of Texas. If we succeed in subduing the enemy and establishing a free and independent government, we shall have the finest country the sun ever shown upon, and if we fail we shall have the satisfaction of dying fighting for the rights of men. I know not that I shall have the opportunity of writing to you in some time, but shall do so often as convenient.

Be not alarmed about my safety. I am no better, and my life no dearer, than those who gained the liberty you enjoy. If I fall you will have the satisfaction that your son died fighting for the rights of men. Our strength in the field is about 1,500. The enemy is reported 4,000 strong; a fearful odds, you will say; but what can mercenary hirelings do against the sons of liberty!

Before this reaches you the fate of Texas will be known. I will endeavor to acquaint you as soon as possible. I am well and in good spirits, and as unconcerned as if going to a raising. The same Being who has hitherto protected my life can with equal ease ward off the balls of the enemy.

My company is waiting, and I must draw to a close, and bid you farewell, perhaps forever. More than a year has elapsed since I saw you, yet the thought of friends and home are fresh in my memory, and their remembrance yet lives in my affections and will [be] a secret joy to my heart till it shall cease to beat. Long has it been since I heard from you. How often do I think of home and wish to be there. The thoughts of that sacred spot haunts my night-watches. How often, when sleep has taken possession of my faculties, am I transported there, and for a short time enjoy all the pleasures of home; but the delusion is soon over and the morning returns and I find my situation the same. Dear friends, if I see you no more remember Giles still loves you. Give my love to my sister, brothers, friends, and neighbors. I would write more if time would permit, but its fleeting steps wait for none. You need not write to me, as I do not know where I shall be.

With sentiments of sincere respect I bid you fare-well.

Your affectionate son, G.A. Giddings "

Since posting the text of this letter I've received about 15 messages regarding it, some of poignant, all of them heartfelt. Some of what was related to me in them has caused me to go down other historical avenues and opened up other historical treasures ---- treasures I would never have known about had I not tweeted it.  It also resulted in me receiving a couple of incredible historical photos that I'll be tweeting by and by.  8 bucks?  A pittance in light of what I've received in return.

Also, just in case you're wondering, Giddings, Texas is in effect named for Giles Giddings.  When Giddings passed away, General Sam Houston awarded him a league of land to honor his sacrifice. Giddings’ brother, Jabez Deming (J.D.) Giddings, claimed the land in place of his deceased brother and worked to ensure the railroad would route through the land as it connected Austin and Houston. A depot was built, a small town flourished around it, and Giddings was incorporated in 1871.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Here's an example of why I pay 8 dollars per month. This is one of the best Texas history related things you'll ever read. I could obviously not have tweeted this with the 280-character limit.

Traces of Texas reader Doug Giddings' 3 x grandfather, Giles Albert Giddings, wrote this letter to his parents on April 10th, 1836 ---- 11 days before the Battle of San Jacinto. Giles ended up dying about six months later of wounds received during the battle, one of 9 Texians to die either at San Jacinto or because of wounds received there. He was only 23 years old but his words are powerful. I mean, "rather than be driven out of the country or submit to be a slave, I will leave my bones to bleach on the plains of Texas..." How much better could it be written than that? Here's the text of the letter:

Dear Parents: Since I last wrote you I have been engaged in arranging an expedition against the Indians, who have committed many depredations against the frontier. On my return to the settlements, I learned that our country was again invaded by a merciless horde of Mexicans, who were waging war or extermination against the inhabitants. A call was made for all friends of humanity to rise in arms and resist the foe. Men were panic stricken and fled, leaving their all behind them. I could not reconcile it to my feelings to leave Texas without an effort to save it. Accordingly, I bent my course for the army and arrived last evening at this place. I shall enter Camp this morning as a volunteer. The army, commanded by General Houston, is lying on the west side of the Brazos, 20 miles from San Felipe. The enemy is in that place awaiting an attack. It is reported Houston will attack them in the morning. What will be the result, or the fate of Texas, is in the bowels of futurity. Yet, I think we are engaged in the cause of justice, and hope the God of battles will protect us. The enemy's course has been the most bloody that has ever been recorded on the page of history. Our garrison at San Antonio was taken and massacred; another detachment of seven hundred, commanded by Colonel Fannin, and posted at La Bahia, after surrendering prisoners of war, were led out and shot down like beasts. Only one escaped to tell their melancholy fate. In their course they show no quarter to age, sex, or condition, all are massacred without mercy. If such conduct is not sufficient to arouse the patriotic feelings of the sons of liberty, I know not what will. I was born in a land of freedom, and taught to lisp the name of liberty with my infant tongue, and rather than be driven out of the country or submit to be a slave, I will leave my bones to bleach on the plains of Texas. If we succeed in subduing the enemy and establishing a free and independent government, we shall have the finest country the sun ever shown upon, and if we fail we shall have the satisfaction of dying fighting for the rights of men. I know not that I shall have the opportunity of writing to you in some time, but shall do so often as convenient.

Be not alarmed about my safety. I am no better, and my life no dearer, than those who gained the liberty you enjoy. If I fall you will have the satisfaction that your son died fighting for the rights of men. Our strength in the field is about 1,500. The enemy is reported 4,000 strong; a fearful odds, you will say; but what can mercenary hirelings do against the sons of liberty!

Before this reaches you the fate of Texas will be known. I will endeavor to acquaint you as soon as possible. I am well and in good spirits, and as unconcerned as if going to a raising. The same Being who has hitherto protected my life can with equal ease ward off the balls of the enemy.

My company is waiting, and I must draw to a close, and bid you farewell, perhaps forever. More than a year has elapsed since I saw you, yet the thought of friends and home are fresh in my memory, and their remembrance yet lives in my affections and will [be] a secret joy to my heart till it shall cease to beat. Long has it been since I heard from you. How often do I think of home and wish to be there. The thoughts of that sacred spot haunts my night-watches. How often, when sleep has taken possession of my faculties, am I transported there, and for a short time enjoy all the pleasures of home; but the delusion is soon over and the morning returns and I find my situation the same. Dear friends, if I see you no more remember Giles still loves you. Give my love to my sister, brothers, friends, and neighbors. I would write more if time would permit, but its fleeting steps wait for none. You need not write to me, as I do not know where I shall be.

Since posting the text of this letter I've received about 15 messages regarding it, some of poignant, all of them heartfelt. Some of what was related to me in them has caused me to go down other historical avenues and opened up other historical treasures ---- treasures I would never have known about had I not tweeted it.  It also resulted in me receiving a couple of incredible historical photos that I'll be tweeting by and by.  8 bucks?  A pittance in light of what I've received in return.

Also, just in case you're wondering, Giddings, Texas is in effect named for Giles Giddings.  When Giddings passed away, General Sam Houston awarded him a league of land to honor his sacrifice. Giddings’ brother, Jabez Deming (J.D.) Giddings, claimed the land in place of his deceased brother and worked to ensure the railroad would route through the land as it connected Austin and Houston. A depot was built, a small town flourished around it, and Giddings was incorporated in 1871.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jp

• Haha 6

nobody cares if you pay $8/mo to grow your brand. we get it. you should have lead with that. what we do care about is people who have nothing better to do than try to sway public thought thought autocratic means. Twitter was fine before Elon showed up. it's clear what he is trying to do with the platform - and it is not for the common good. are there "innocent" passengers like yourself just trying to get attention for their enterprise? sure. i have still have facebook for that same basic reason. I think Zuckerberg is also a total piece of shit. which is why I won't spend money there unless I absolutely have to. again, few if none of us are took exception to you using the platform the way you are. what we took exception with was the "why is everyone so upset about $8?" bullshit. you know why. be better.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s a beautiful story and you tell it so well

… on a platform that explicitly promotes hate groups

… which you fund, both directly and indirectly by driving ad revenue.

But, again, cool story bro. Congrats on the exposure.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well there's two separate things here.

Firstly giving Elon money is ridiculous. People have always wanted to point to the narrow practical utility of something to insulate themselves from the wider implications of their actions, but in this day and age you can't separate that. You never really could, but it's much more visible now and there's no excuse.

Secondly. LOL. Twitter is not a blog. If the Tweet has too many words to read while scrolling it's too long. The fact you thought it was a good idea to post and a few thousand people read it doesn't mean anything.

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That's the entire point.

The point is you don't understand how Twitter works. Get Wordpress and tweet, IG, FB every blog post man.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well there's two separate things here.

Firstly giving Elon money is ridiculous. People have always wanted to point to the narrow practical utility of something to insulate themselves from the wider implications of their actions, but in this day and age you can't separate that. You never really could, but it's much more visible now and there's no excuse.

Secondly. LOL. Twitter is not a blog. If the Tweet has too many words to read while scrolling it's too long. The fact you thought it was a good idea to post and a few thousand people read it doesn't mean anything.

The point is you don't understand how Twitter works. Get Wordpress and tweet, IG, FB every blog post man.

I have a website that I made with Wordpress.

I have Traces of Texas forum.

I have 863,000 followers on FB,  55,000 followers on Instagram. I post on post.news, mastodon etc... I have a Tribel account. 

Many people who use Twitter (like my sister) don't use Facebook. Many who use Facebook (like my dad) don't use Twitter. Different strokes.  Personally, I am platform agnostic: I don't care where you read Traces of Texas.

Second, Twitter IS a blog. It used to be a microblogging site. Now it is just a blogging site.

Also: a few thousand people? My tweet about Willie and his grandmother ---- also more than 280 characters ---- has reached almost 900 thousand. The tweet that you claimed was too long to read has reached 65 thousand in less than 24 yours.  But I don't understand how Twitter works ... and you do? 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Second, Twitter IS a blog

Yeah it's definitely not but you do you man and be the "This MF paid for Twitter" guy. You literally just tweet a link to the content and the same thing happens, minus you giving one of the worst humans of our time 8 dollars a month.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

No it doesn't.  

Funny thing is that the blue check reduces credibility in a lot of people's minds due to Elon's constant fuckery. Seeing a blue check makes a lot of folks, myself included, automatically think that the author is a disinformation bot, an Elon fanboi, etc., until proven otherwise. As someone who has historically just perused tweets casually, I'm finding that I'm perusing a lot less and I'm scrolling right past blue checks since most of them are just posting conspiracy theory drivel. If I'm scrolling along and see your wall of text and I'm not already familiar with you, I'm just assuming you're some wack job conspiracy theorist and will scroll on by.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Twitter won't exist as Twitter in 12 months with Elon at the helm. I'm not saying that it disappears but the current business model is unsustainable.  It was sustainable before Elon bought it.   The mainstream twitter users will switch to something like Bluesky or whatever is determined to the next winner.

Twitter will revert to a combo of right wing and libertarian content. If a business or blog want or need to appeal to that group, that's cool. It doesn't make them a racist or Nazi, its just that many of their customer are.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Absolutely awesome.

Thanks for posting that. 

On 4/23/2023 at 1:47 PM, Sawbonz said:

We have warning labels telling people not to reach under the lawnmower while the blade is turning

There's a warning to not eat the silica gel packets, even though they're delicious. 

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Giddings: "I was born in a land of freedom, and taught to lisp the name of liberty with my infant tongue, and rather than be driven out of the country or submit to be a slave"

give me a break with this statement. You're highlighting that as words we should admire?  this guy was fighting for the right to keep slaves and he equated not having slaves as being a slave himself to an oppressive govt. 

And I'm not the product of some recent, woke agenda. I learned about Texas history by a conservative teacher in small town Texas, 7th grade history in the 80s. The difference then was that conservatives were willing to be honest and acknowledge the motivation of Texian rebels. Today, they lie about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Even were that true (and it's not), that says nothing about the reasons Giles Giddings was fighting.  

and the Civil War was about states rights too?  I will stop since this is a Twitter thread so perhaps you can keep it on that topic too.