The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and the Civil War was about states rights too?  I will stop since this is a Twitter thread so perhaps you can keep it on that topic too.

So, just to be clear: you have no evidence for your contention that Giles Giddings was fighting to preserve slavery but you made assumptions that may or may not be true and were just talking out of your ass? Got it. 

Also, I wasn't the one who took this thread off topic. You did with your asinine statement about Giles Giddings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So, just to be clear: you have no evidence for your contention that Giles Giddings was fighting to preserve slavery but you made assumptions that may or may not be true and were just talking out of your ass? Got it. 

Also, I wasn't the one who took this thread off topic. You did with your asinine statement about Giles Giddings. 

Mr Giddings?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I learned about Texas history by a conservative teacher in small town Texas, 7th grade history in the 80s. The difference then was that conservatives were willing to be honest and acknowledge the motivation of Texian rebels. Today, they lie about it.

If you were to teach this little Texas state document from 1861 in schools these days, you'd probably get in trouble with Abbott and Patrick.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html

• Like 1

Fox News is claiming that a bunch of their big advertisers are coming back to Tucker's former time slot after he bailed.  If that's the case, Hannity and Ingraham better watch their asses.

And good to see that Elon is making sure that big advertisers that bailed aren't coming back.

The new Twitter CEO is apparently a social justice warrior who is being brought in to re-institute the former moderation, clamp down on misinformation, eliminate trolls etc .... all to assuage the advertisers on which Twitter depends to sort of break even.  And MAGA Twitter is in meltdown mode. Hilarious. 

Apparently the wunderkind is in the finding out stage of fucking around. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The new Twitter CEO is apparently a social justice warrior who is being brought in to re-institute the former moderation, clamp down on misinformation, eliminate trolls etc .... all to assuage the advertisers on which Twitter depends to sort of break even.  And MAGA Twitter is in meltdown mode. Hilarious. 

Apparently the wunderkind is in the finding out stage of fucking around. 

Uh, that is umm, not, what I have heard. I don't claim to know much about her though.

Yeah, I don't think that's correct.  She seems pretty MAGA from some stuff I have read.  She wouldn't be the first person to have a seismic shift in political views to get in on that sweet grift game over the last few years.

Edited by kevwun

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, I don't think that's correct.  She seems pretty MAGA from some stuff I have read.  She wouldn't be the first person to have a seismic shift in political views to get in on that sweet grift game over the last few years.

Yeah, what she said to move up the ranks at NBCUniversal seems to differ drastically from her personal MAGA views.

I thought he was hiring her because she could woo advertisers back, but she follows the same shit he and his incels follow.

Edited by atomheartbevo

49 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah this is what I saw.

I'm not wise in the ways of cost expenditures in the tech space.  But I would think that would have been a pretty simple business decision.  What percentage of our blue check mark $8 people taking full advantage of their 8GB allotment would have to occur before the $8 wouldn't cover the server cost?" 

VP "Uh, looks like about 5% sir"

Elon "Okay where we at right now on that?"

VP "Uh, 10% of 'em sir."

PROCEED!  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not wise in the ways of cost expenditures in the tech space.  But I would think that would have been a pretty simple business decision.  What percentage of our blue check mark $8 people taking full advantage of their 8GB allotment would have to occur before the $8 wouldn't cover the server cost?" 

VP "Uh, looks like about 5% sir"

Elon "Okay where we at right now on that?"

VP "Uh, 10% of 'em sir."

PROCEED!  

Well the going rate for object/blob storage is around 2 cents per GB, but that's in the cloud. On-prem data storage is horrendously expensive once total data quantity start hitting exabyte scale

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

here we go. it's as if twitter is actively trying to drive away all their users. sheesh

download (34).png

It's trying to force me to login for a lot more stuff, and seems to be getting worse.  I am guessing that it reads the browser cookies and sees that I have an account, but it's happening in situations where there are no cookies present. I can look at a lot of embedded stuff like on Surly, I can go to specific profiles if I'm not logged in, but like anything I get in my email notifications, requires me to login.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, a theft of trade secrets case can be used to perpetrate a lot of legal mischief, if twt has the barest bones to support it.  That usually takes the form of departed (doesn't matter if fired) twt employees working for the facing book in spots where they might use twt information to facing book's advantage.

In probably 75% of those scenarios, the departed employees are using nothing more than talent or skill, which isn't legally actionable, but the case can be kept going for a good long while on that alone.  Probably won't make a shit, but a lot of headlines.

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Unfortunately, a theft of trade secrets case can be used to perpetrate a lot of legal mischief, if twt has the barest bones to support it.  That usually takes the form of departed (doesn't matter if fired) twt employees working for the facing book in spots where they might use twt information to facing book's advantage.

In probably 75% of those scenarios, the departed employees are using nothing more than talent or skill, which isn't legally actionable, but the case can be kept going for a good long while on that alone.  Probably won't make a shit, but a lot of headlines.

Zuckerberg and team claim not to have any former Twitter employees on the Thread engineering team. Seems to me they are sufficiently versed in corporate crookery so as to avoid any obvious legal exposure. Musk’s unbridled arrogance and hubris have caught up with him.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's probably a bunch of contracts between the two companies that limit each others' liability and maybe can divert the whole thing to a private pound-me-in-the-ass arbitration.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Zuckerberg and team claim not to have any former Twitter employees on the Thread engineering team. Seems to me they are sufficiently versed in corporate crookery so as to avoid any obvious legal exposure. Musk’s unbridled arrogance and hubris have caught up with him.

There's a whole lot of ways you can try to insulate yourself from trade secret liability.  But the fact remains that if you hired any significant number of former employees of any significance, you can be on the wrong end of a trade secret dispute for a couple of years.

I don’t see how Twitter can claim ownership of IP that allows users to endlessly scroll thru postings. Which at this point is the only aspect Elon could possibly know today about Threads. And that behavior describes every social media site.

I would think the real IP would be in the algorithm that decides which posts to display next. Elon would have zero idea how Threads work behind the scenes. Any lawsuit is a fishing expedition just hoping to discover comms between the developers indicating IP theft.

regardless I hate Facebook maybe even more so than Twitter so I’m cool if this somehow expedites the end of both.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, which party in this case do you think benefits most from protracted legal action. I wouldn't say Twitter.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1