The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/05/npr-twitter-state-affiliated-media-label

The U.S. does have a state-affiliated media arm called the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). USAGM oversees two federal networks, Voice of America (VOA) and the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (OCB). 

• It also oversees four grantees, including Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFERL), Radio Free Asia (RFA), Middle East Broadcasting Networks (MBN) and the Open Technology Fund (OTF).
  • As of Wednesday morning, none of those entities included "US state-affiliated media" labels.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man, I did not have Elno going complete qtard but here we are

I kind of did.  He's been testing the waters since he bought twitter (and even before), and he has no friends, employees, or family members around him who are telling him to stop with the stupid shit, it's making him look bad.  Or if he does, he's not listening to them.  He apparently still doesn't understand the Constitution, free speech, or how twitter works in terms of who is the product and the customer.  Qanon nuts don't understand the Constitution either.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I kind of did.  He's been testing the waters since he bought twitter (and even before), and he has no friends, employees, or family members around him who are telling him to stop with the stupid shit, it's making him look bad.  Or if he does, he's not listening to them.  He apparently still doesn't understand the Constitution, free speech, or how twitter works in terms of who is the product and the customer.  Qanon nuts don't understand the Constitution either.

I kind of ignored him for a lot of years because I thought he was just another eccentric billionaire who loved to tout their own prowess despite being born on 3rd base. I didn't really pay attention to him until his shit became inherently more political. it's clear to me what he wants to be - he wants to be Rupert Murdoch's heir apparent. but he knows cable news is going the way of the dodo and so is that audience, so he chose to claim a new media source that could have, and is having, the same Fox News effect on the generation just behind the olds. it sucks too because I really want to use his solar shingles in my projects but the thought of giving that man my money makes me ill.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Wait, are those last two posts real?  Like for real reall?  God dammit I hate this current batch of conservatives so much because they've become so absurd I can't tell the difference between real and fake.

They are absolutely real and he thinks it's all a big game.

A $44 billion game. I get that he's probably already read Grimes' DMs, and so now it's mostly worthless to him, but you'd think he'd be acting in a manner to inspire confidence in banks/investors to try and get some of that money back, especially since there is a reckoning coming in regard to Tesla and other EV makers.

They are absolutely real and he thinks it's all a big game.
A $44 billion game. I get that he's probably already read Grimes' DMs, and so now it's mostly worthless to him, but you'd think he'd be acting in a manner to inspire confidence in banks/investors to try and get some of that money back, especially since there is a reckoning coming in regard to Tesla and other EV makers.

Have the Tesla board members told him that his meme game is strong? Have the banks? No? Then he doesn’t care about them.

NPR quits Twitter:

"The decision by Twitter last week took the public radio network off guard. When queried by NPR tech reporter Bobby Allyn, Twitter owner Elon Musk asked how NPR functioned. Musk allowed that he might have gotten it wrong.

Twitter then revised its label on NPR's account to "government-funded media." The news organization says that is inaccurate and misleading, given that NPR is a private, nonprofit company with editorial independence. It receives less than 1 percent of its $300 million annual budget from the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting."

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/12/1169269161/npr-leaves-twitter-government-funded-media-label

Tesla, SpaceX, and Elon should all be labeled "government funded"

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Twitter has quietly removed a policy against the “targeted misgendering or deadnaming of transgender individuals,” raising concerns that the Elon Musk-owned platform is becoming less safe for marginalized groups. 

They’ve also removed abuse protections from all other marginalized groups.

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Twitter has quietly removed a policy against the “targeted misgendering or deadnaming of transgender individuals,” raising concerns that the Elon Musk-owned platform is becoming less safe for marginalized groups. 

They’ve also removed abuse protections from all other marginalized groups.

Can't deny that he's leaning into giving the shittiest parts of society a platform.  And a blue check if they pony up their $8.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Can't deny that he's leaning into giving the shittiest parts of society a platform.  And a blue check if they pony up their $8.

It should be readily apparent by now that Elon bought Twitter on a lark, didn’t really want to, and is now destroying it because he got told he had to. And he’s doing it in the shittiest way possible with the worst people because he CAN, with no consequences, and no one can do anything about it and we all have to watch. 

This is the type of temper tantrum that the worst French absolutists and petulant tsareviches engaged in, it’s why we had a revolution and it’s why billionaires shouldn’t exist. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I guess I don't understand the hoopla or the religious fervor which some people have for this topic.  I got a really nasty DM from somebody who accused me of being a sellout, an Elon fanboy etc..

For somebody like me it's a simple value proposition. The ROI is well worth the 8 bucks, if only for vastly increased functionality.

As long as the trains run on time.

The dude is a twisted fuck.  Call it religious fervor if you must, but to me it’s just an easily reached conclusion if you simply watch what he’s saying and doing.  Either you haven’t seen it, or have and don’t care.  I for fucking sure would not give that asshole a dime.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

For somebody like me it's a simple value proposition. The ROI is well worth the 8 bucks, if only for vastly increased functionality.

In your view as a power-user, is any of the increased functionality actually new? Or is it just paying a gate fee to get to what you had before?

14 hours ago, Satchel said:

Elon will never get over be forced to pony up 44 billion for something that was nowhere near worth that amount. He’s just acting out.

One man thinks removing warning labels, that used to be put on state level propaganda accounts, is just acting out, while another man thinks the same is supporting and furthering an autocratic future. Humans are difficult to predict.