The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

It's absolutely stunning what has happened. Twitter usage down nine percent in the U.S. Elon fires an engineer because Elon can't figure out why his own impressions are waning etc.... He's a 220 pound infant who somehow was briefly the world's richest man.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/9/23593099/elon-musk-twitter-fires-engineer-declining-reach-ftc-concerns

Almost two months later, though, view counts have had the opposite effect, emphasizing how little engagement most posts get relative to their audience size. At the same time, Twitter usage in the United States has declined almost 9 percent since Musk’s takeover, according to one recent study.

Twitter sources say the view count feature itself may be contributing to the decline in engagement and, therefore, views. The like and retweet buttons were made smaller to accommodate the display of views, making them harder to easily tap.

An even more obvious reason for the decline in engagement is Twitter’s increasingly glitchy product, which has baffled users with its disappearing mentions, shifting algorithmic priorities, and tweets inserted seemingly at random from accounts they don’t follow.

“We haven’t seen much in the way of longer term, cogent strategy,” one employee said. “Most of our time is dedicated to three main areas: putting out fires (mostly caused by firing the wrong people and trying to recover from that), performing impossible tasks, and ‘improving efficiency’ without clear guidelines of what the expected end results are. We mostly move from dumpster fire to dumpster fire, from my perspective.”

Musk’s product feedback, which comes largely from replies to his tweets, often baffles his workers.

“There’s times he’s just awake late at night and says all sorts of things that don’t make sense,” one employee said. “And then he’ll come to us and be like, ‘this one person says they can’t do this one thing on the platform,’ and then we have to run around chasing some outlier use case for one person. It doesn’t make any sense.”

The San Francisco headquarters, whose landlord has sued Twitter for nonpayment of rent, has a melancholy air. When people pass each other in the halls, we’re told that the standard greeting is “where are you interviewing?” and “where do you have offers?” The eighth floor is still stocked with beds, and employees have to reserve them in advance. 

Lolz, props to that engineer for telling Musk that public interest in his antics is waning (from unquoted portion of article linked above). Probably knew he was going to get fired and did the right thing anyway. 

Musk is a fucking embarrassment. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

Biden's request was prompted by a desire to spare the world from being put to shame by his son's huge dick (from what I hear). Trump's request was prompted by his teeny tiny dick syndrome. 
Sounds about right. 

What request?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It's absolutely stunning what has happened. Twitter usage down nine percent in the U.S. Elon fires an engineer because Elon can't figure out why his own impressions are waning etc.... He's a 220 pound infant who somehow was briefly the world's richest man.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/9/23593099/elon-musk-twitter-fires-engineer-declining-reach-ftc-concerns

Not for nothing, but he weighs more than 220.  

16 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

The campaign request to remove the dick pics.

Okay, help me out here. I don’t follow this too closely because the whole Hunter Biden story is clearly just politically motivated bullshit from the right. But Twitter execs testified before Congress this week that they were never pressured by the Biden campaign to suppress a NY Post story about Hunter. They did that only temporarily and said they did that on their own.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-politics-united-states-government-us-republican-party-business-6e34ad121a1e52892b782b0b7c0e59c3

I take it a request to censor Hunter’s dick pics, which I haven’t seen but apparently they’re out there (no, I don’t care to see them so don’t post them here), is a separate subject. Is that right?

I’ve got two questions regardless. First, why would it require someone’s request to have unauthorized dick pics censored? Shouldn’t Twitter do that on their own if they know about them? Second, let’s suppose they didn’t know about them and someone needed to make the request. How could that possibly be seen as showing political favoritism? If someone was posting pics of Trump’s tiny mushroom dick, I would think those should be censored too.

What about naked celebrity pics like from The Fappening? Shouldn’t Twitter suppress those? What about the naked pics of the Wisconsin volleyball team? Someone posted those on a subforum here and they got taken down. I don’t think that’s political favoritism. But I’d expect Twitter to censor those too.

I only recently learned that nudity was even allowed on Twitter. But I would think the posting of hacked, stolen, or unauthorized naked pics of any kind would violate company policy and would get taken down.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Okay, help me out here. I don’t follow this too closely because the whole Hunter Biden story is clearly just politically motivated bullshit from the right. But Twitter execs testified before Congress this week that they were never pressured by the Biden campaign to suppress a NY Post story about Hunter. They did that only temporarily and said they did that on their own.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-politics-united-states-government-us-republican-party-business-6e34ad121a1e52892b782b0b7c0e59c3

I take it a request to censor Hunter’s dick pics, which I haven’t seen but apparently they’re out there (no, I don’t care to see them so don’t post them here), is a separate subject. Is that right?

I’ve got two questions regardless. First, why would it require someone’s request to have unauthorized dick pics censored? Shouldn’t Twitter do that on their own if they know about them? Second, let’s suppose they didn’t know about them and someone needed to make the request. How could that possibly be seen as showing political favoritism? If someone was posting pics of Trump’s tiny mushroom dick, I would think those should be censored too.

What about naked celebrity pics like from The Fappening? Shouldn’t Twitter suppress those? What about the naked pics of the Wisconsin volleyball team? Someone posted those on a subforum here and they got taken down. I don’t think that’s political favoritism. But I’d expect Twitter to censor those too.

I only recently learned that nudity was even allowed on Twitter. But I would think the posting of hacked, stolen, or unauthorized naked pics of any kind would violate company policy and would get taken down.

In Elon’s sad episode of idiocy called “Twitter Files”, in was discovered that Biden’s campaign requested Twitter remove pictures of Hunter Biden’s giant hog. Now, if you’re stupid, you ignore every other fact of information pertaining to this incident and believe Twitter colluded with the government to suppress the truth. 

If you’re capable of reading at a 3rd grade level, you realize a few other things. Joe Biden wasn’t president, and thus not part of the government. He was a private citizen making a private request. Secondly, he didn’t ask for the laptop story to be taken down, just naked pictures of his son. To your point, hopefully any person that has naked pictures of them posted on Twitter without their consent, could have them removed upon request. Furthermore, Twitter only stopped the Hunter story for 24 hours due to being overly cautious because of 2016 interference. The fact that Biden requested the dick pics be taken down, is proof the story was not suppressed on Twitter. 

To answers more specifically. Twitter has no ideas what pics are unauthorized or authorized, and thus one must inform them of that information. And the reason one side believes taking down his dick pics is politically motivated is because of stupid people 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:49 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

From what I saw, they said they weren't aware of it happening, which of course isn't the same thing as saying it didn't happen. I haven't been following this bullshit story much either, but my understanding is Elon had his minions release an internal Twitter email saying the Biden campaign made the request. If that's accurate, then either the request happened or whatever twitter employee wrote that email made it up. The campaign making the request seems more likely between those two. But either way, I don't care at all. 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

so we're basically just a few weeks away from his mom calling our moms to tell them to tell us we have to like his tweets or no tweets at all.  Like my daughter handing out Valentine's Day treats today at school.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yes, it’s called not using Twitter. Very effective. 

Then they wouldn’t be Twitter users. I’m asking a question for Twitter users.

Back on shaggy, I had some troll on ignore and after the surly migration that guy was made into a mod and it removed him from my ignore list. He was unignorable. I assume the same is true for Musk but I don’t know. That’s why I asked.

Nobody is more an advocate for quitting Facebook and Twitter than I am. 

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Blocking him does not seem to be working.

Given that his staff has been severely reduced, I'm rather surprised no one has hacked the platform to mess with him and his account. Or did those issues get resolved? I have no account, but in the past it seemed as if people got compromised fairly easily. Was that simply being tricked into giving out their password and not a deeper intrusion into the system? Not a tech person so that is out of my lane by a mile.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the issue of followers/notifications as I lack an account, but the growing RW presence on the twitter platform is ballooning. Normally I just check a few journo or other specific accounts now and then to get an update but now I'm noticing a lot more of the RW stuff in the replies to people's tweets in general. Even more than usual since the most egregious were initially let back on. Lot of Christian nationalist stuff, lot of women belong at home or 'innocent' type comments about how women are happier and have more opportunities when they don't go to college but stay home and get married. More of the anti-trans, anti-semitic, anti minority posts--often with little graphs and charts 'proving' the tweeter's point. I'm sure Elon's retweeting doesn't help, but the algorithm or what have you seems to have yanked things further to the right and is really amplifying it. Those tweets then get rebroadcast on sports forums and other places where folks congregate online to yell at each other and the clouds. Given the various authoritarian funding (besides Elon's) I am not surprised at how this is going.

So, when twitter worked to remove accounts that disseminated misinformation, etc, some people left for Parler (dying), and others joined up with Truth Social (also dying) and Gab (no idea how it's doing). So those three platforms plus twitter are unfettered RW leaning platforms where the disenfranchised voices are being increasingly Gamergated aside.

Anyone have a solution? There is an election closer than you think.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't have the issue of followers/notifications as I lack an account, but the growing RW presence on the twitter platform is ballooning.

I'm very careful about how I use my accounts these days, they are on a separate computer/iPad from what I do my personal stuff (like posting on Surly, etc.), and on the other computer/iPad I'm very careful not to go near any right-wing type stuff on social media.

But I'm getting lots and lots of right-wing stuff in my email notifications from twitter.  Lots.  It maybe generated by IP, and there's not much I'm willing to do about that (I'm not going to use a VPN and switch back and forth between work/personal stuff), but either way it's extremely noticeable.

I am pretty much done with "using" twitter as far as posting on it, I'm keeping my accounts around for DMs and to keep somebody from using them (since they are tied to websites I manage/write for) and I cannot wait until everybody I interact with has moved to something else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

...moved to something else.

how is that going, though? Mastodon was one that was rolled out and what was the name of the other one? Post? Are those gaining any steam at all? Twitter was rather useful for being able to get a quick aggregate of more than just AP/Reuters type news. Also great for the 'now as it's happening' event such as when the power fails or there is a coup and such.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

how is that going, though? Mastodon was one that was rolled out and what was the name of the other one? Post? Are those gaining any steam at all? Twitter was rather useful for being able to get a quick aggregate of more than just AP/Reuters type news. Also great for the 'now as it's happening' event such as when the power fails or there is a coup and such.

I'm moving towards more email/mailing lists and things like medium.  Ironically, it's probably something I should have been more aggressive about a long time ago, because I'm able to more accurately measure the response/engagement.  It was always on my todo list, as I had friends trying to sell me on it, and I used it for short-form type of stuff, but in the long run, it's better for what I'm doing.  I miss the random engagements that twitter could bring and it had a larger audience, but, and trying not to use buzzwords, the people I engage with through email, I really engage with.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I had a company on my resume that, while still in business, didn't respond to verification for some reason.  I had to provide a W-2 showing that I worked there.

Our small software co was bought by a giant. We then rehired an employee from way back. After two weeks waiting for his background check to clear, we found out the holdup was our own HR validating his employment with us. Brilliant.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I had a company on my resume that, while still in business, didn't respond to verification for some reason.  I had to provide a W-2 showing that I worked there.

I have multiple companies on my resume that no longer exist, so that hits close to home.  I've had to keep my W-2s from way back.

Yeah, I dunno what radio show it was on satellite radio but it was some 90 second rant by Tucker that the 4 or 5 police that died as a result of January 6th committed suicide so they don't really count at 1/6 fatalities.  I guess same rationale that sweeps away tens of thousands of gun deaths each year as "not really gun-deaths because they were suicide."