Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

27 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The Big12 was in the power 5 with Texas and Oklahoma due to their autobid to the Sugar bowl which likely will not be renewed and they will go the way of Big East football.  You are correct however that they are a part of the autonomous 5 for NCAA governance purposes, however if we’re talking about breaking away from the NCAA that won’t mean anything anymore.  The point is that a tournament with the SEC/ACC/B1G/PAC doesn’t NEED any of the other schools.  There will be plenty of great basketball schools left out like Villanova, Gonzaga, Georgetown, UConn, UNLV, Memphis, Butler, BYU, Cincy, Xavier, Wichita St plus the remaining Big 12 including Kansas (though I bet KU sneaks in eventually).  Baylor has no chance for reasons outside of sports.

The Power4 basketball tournament that has 5 of the 6 bluebloods (likely 6 of 6 once Kansas gets their spot) and vast majority of the elite perennial top 25 programs would be the bigger than any left over division I tournament the NCAA could put together, and if it’s even close (though I doubt it would be) they could simply invite over a basketball conference like the Big East or A10 to join their tournament.  Money split between 65-80 teams is more than dividing it between 360+.

I'm just glad the pro-OU to B1G faction (of last 10 years) can chill out on dirt board... I never understood a midnset of leaving your arch-rival...
It's a sad time to lose Oklahoma State/ Kansas/ Iowa State from Big8, Texas Tech/ TCU from extra Lone Star games, but SEC is "best move"...

SEC offers keeping OU-UT, adding A&M in Texas again, getting Big8 foe Mizzou back/ starting something with "Battle for Ft Smith" in Arkie...

Untitled3.png

Untitled2.png

31 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The Big12 was in the power 5 with Texas and Oklahoma due to their autobid to the Sugar bowl which likely will not be renewed and they will go the way of Big East football.  You are correct however that they are a part of the autonomous 5 for NCAA governance purposes, however if we’re talking about breaking away from the NCAA that won’t mean anything anymore.  The point is that a tournament with the SEC/ACC/B1G/PAC doesn’t NEED any of the other schools.  There will be plenty of great basketball schools left out like Villanova, Gonzaga, Georgetown, UConn, UNLV, Memphis, Butler, BYU, Cincy, Xavier, Wichita St plus the remaining Big 12 including Kansas (though I bet KU sneaks in eventually).  Baylor has no chance for reasons outside of sports.

The Power4 basketball tournament that has 5 of the 6 bluebloods (likely 6 of 6 once Kansas gets their spot) and vast majority of the elite perennial top 25 programs would be the bigger than any left over division I tournament the NCAA could put together, and if it’s even close (though I doubt it would be) they could simply invite over a basketball conference like the Big East or A10 to join their tournament.  Money split between 65-80 teams is more than dividing it between 360+.

A lot of the success of the NCAA tourney is that almost regardless of where you went to college, you can remember at least one time that your school made the tourney.  It was a big deal.  So in the years where you aren't in, you're still a fan of the tourney itself.  

It's a risk if you start cutting a lot of fans out of the process.  You start cutting schools out - including great basketball schools - you risk killing a lot of the interest in it.   In your model, you're leaving out the '21 champ, the '18 champ, the '16 champ, the '14 champ, the '11 champ, the '08 champ, the '04 champ, etc, etc.  That's just the tourney winners.  There are a ton of Final Four squads in recent years that get left out under that set-up.  "Cinderella" is gone forever.  You don't want to turn the billion dollar event NCAA tournament into an oversized conference tournament.      

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

My irrelevant thoughts…

I hope ISU and OSU land on their feet.

I will personally miss the Baylor games. I have a history with that school that dates back over 50 years. That being said, they deserve what ever crappy fate that befalls them.

I am part of the crowd that doesn’t think this is a good fit culturally. SEC sparks associations with the old south. I have always bristled at the notion that Texas was a Southern state. We march to our own tune here and it ain’t Dixie. Ags might have something to say about that.

I am afraid as others have stated, that we are at the precipice of all that is about to change. I hope when it all settles we still have some semblances of what we enjoy today.

Whining aside, this was the move to make at this time. Hopefully the powers that be at Texas continue to evolve as the landscape changes.

Going to be a great time to be on Surly for the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too hope ISU and OSU find landing spots.

Fuck Baylor forever and piss on them on the way out. 

Today for sure we are no longer a cultural fit for the SEC and Dixie.  But don't forget about 1860's John Bell Hood:  

My feet are torn and bloody,
My heart is full of woe,
I'm going back to Georgia
To find my uncle Joe [Johnston].
You may talk about your Beauregard,
You may sing of Bobby Lee,
But the gallant Hood of Texas
He played hell in Tennessee.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

For a conference that has had so much success and therefore not lacking confidence they sure are lining up to play the victim card to mean ole Texas who’s football program has been down for a decade.   Come on SEC your better than that. Right??

*whose

*you're 

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

“Actually, if OU says no, OSU/OU are far more viable to the PAC 12, Big 10, ACC.”

How can this mother fucker be so dumb. This isn’t blind ignorance, it is a sheer lack of intelligence spewing from a mouthpiece with the IQ of a salad bar. 

If ou says no?

He wrote that tweet on 7-31-2021. 

On 7-30-2021 ou board voted to accept the invitation and join the sec. 

Day late, and at least $15mil short  

He's proposing a hypothetical, not talking about something that is done as though it's not.

40 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

A lot of the success of the NCAA tourney is that almost regardless of where you went to college, you can remember at least one time that your school made the tourney.  It was a big deal.  So in the years where you aren't in, you're still a fan of the tourney itself.  

It's a risk if you start cutting a lot of fans out of the process.  You start cutting schools out - including great basketball schools - you risk killing a lot of the interest in it.   In your model, you're leaving out the '21 champ, the '18 champ, the '16 champ, the '14 champ, the '11 champ, the '08 champ, the '04 champ, etc, etc.  That's just the tourney winners.  There are a ton of Final Four squads in recent years that get left out under that set-up.  "Cinderella" is gone forever.  You don't want to turn the billion dollar event NCAA tournament into an oversized conference tournament.      

As a fan you are correct, but if this was about fandom, expansion outside of independents would never have happened and the SWC would still be a thing.

This is about business.  The big state schools bring the ratings and while people ‘like’ the idea of Cinderella, we just watched the media dub North Carolina State the Cinderella of the CWS despite them being in the power 5.

Breakaways have happened multiple times before when the NCAA divided up the divisions, or subdivisions or even further back when they broke away to form the NCAA originally.  Those schools that will be left out are currently able to recruit and hire coaches under the assumption that they can participate at the highest level but once the breakaway occurs those types of players and coaches will mostly migrate to new schools and you’ll see new Cinderella’s appear like Rutgers, Utah, or Boston College.

Its not about making a conference for all the winners and final four participants in order to exclude the schools that have never made a sweet16, it’s recognizing that 90% of the viewer are watching the Power schools not the Cinderella, they want to see Texas lose, most couldn’t care less about Abilene Christian. Replace ACU with Minnesota and you’ll likely have more net viewers even if the lack of a true non-Power5 Cinderella doesn’t generate the same national interest after the fact.

But either way, you may be right and this new power 4 tournament may not have the same level of fan interest not generate the same TV deal as the nearly one billion dollars the tournament currently pulls in, however out of that nearly one billion dollar deal the NCAA only paid out around $250 million to the Power 5 conferences.  The rest goes to the other nearly 300 division I schools, the NCAA for administration of the tournament and other sports including division II and III.  Say the conferences officially consolidate down to a power 4 and split, for them they only would need to net out more than $250 million plus operating costs for this to generate a profit over the current system, which it likely can do fairly easily.

Now also bundle this together with a collective right package that includes all regular and postseason football and basketball rights for the Power 4 and it’s hard to imagine how much money these school could be pulling in which whether we like it or not is what this is all about or else Rutgers would have never been invited to the Big Ten.

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Right. Ohio State might have a bit of an issue with being relegated to only playing in the Rose Bowl every year. Man, the more I think of what playing in the Big 10 would look like, the more I'm happy with the SEC move. Michigan and Ohio State are the highlights and we have those booked in our future OOC. Sure, Madison would be cool and all but we can always do a home and home with them. Then we avoid Iowa City, West Lafayette, Champaign, Bloomington, East Lansing, and all the other rust belt destinations we would've been forced to go play in. Yeah, yeah, Starkville, playing Vandy, etc. I'll easily trade that for LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Knoxville, and Gainesville. 

But UT would have a shot at winning their division in the B10.

Too soon??

Edited by Asu2215
  • Fuck You 4

I too hope ISU and OSU find landing spots.
Fuck Baylor forever and piss on them on the way out. 
Today for sure we are no longer a cultural fit for the SEC and Dixie.  But don't forget about 1860's John Bell Hood:  
My feet are torn and bloody,
My heart is full of woe,
I'm going back to Georgia
To find my uncle Joe [Johnston].
You may talk about your Beauregard,
You may sing of Bobby Lee,
But the gallant Hood of Texas
He played hell in Tennessee.

I edited out a part that mentioned our Civil War history.

My irrelevant thoughts…

I hope ISU and OSU land on their feet.

I will personally miss the Baylor games. I have a history with that school that dates back over 50 years. That being said, they deserve what ever crappy fate that befalls them.

I am part of the crowd that doesn’t think this is a good fit culturally. SEC sparks associations with the old south. I have always bristled at the notion that Texas was a Southern state. We march to our own tune here and it ain’t Dixie. Ags might have something to say about that.

I am afraid as others have stated, that we are at the precipice of all that is about to change. I hope when it all settles we still have some semblances of what we enjoy today.

Whining aside, this was the move to make at this time. Hopefully the powers that be at Texas continue to evolve as the landscape changes.

Going to be a great time to be on Surly for the long run.

Texas as a state is absolutely associated more with the Deep South than people like to admit. We’re basically Alabama with oil money and Mexican food.

The University of Texas as an institution, while it has some southern cultural elements, is generally not a peer of SECSECSEC schools and this gulf will only widen in coming years. Agree we’re not a particularly good culture fit as a school but it’s a no brainier move for revenue and football, which rules the day.

Hard to be upset as a fan if it means annual games with pig, OU, aggy, and LSU though.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

We aren’t going to assimilate to them. We’ll be the weirdos to the west. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Texas as a state is absolutely associated more with the Deep South than people like to admit. We’re basically Alabama with oil money and Mexican food.

The University of Texas as an institution, while it has some southern cultural elements, is generally not a peer of SECSECSEC schools and this gulf will only widen in coming years. Agree we’re not a particularly good culture fit as a school but it’s a no brainier move for revenue and football, which rules the day.

Hard to be upset as a fan if it means annual games with pig, OU, aggy, and LSU though.

Depends on who you associate with. Don’t confuse a random fan with the educated money group at any of the SEC universities, especially Alabama. They represent themselves quite well. 

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That may be true in the minds of unenlightened folks elsewhere, but their opinion is just that.  And it means precisely diddly-shit to me.

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sociologists and anthropologists would point out both East TX and SE OK have a strong association with the DS.  Of course, there's a lot of the Southwest and Plains in both states too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Associated with the South, yes obviously but you’re a dipshit if you think we’re the same as Alabama.

Texas is considered part of the peripheral South which means while yes we were a slave state and in the confederacy, we were and ARE very different from the Deep South in multiple ways from cultural and economics activities to education and healthcare.

There are many papers and scholars that have/can back up these assertions.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

Not only that, but most SEC fans, including my Georgia wife, insist Texas is NOT the South.

The fact that we don't insist on sweet tea is a clear signal!  And to top that off, we have our unsweetened tea or Shiner bock with beef BBQ, not pork.

Yep.  My wife is from NC (I was such an a-hole I had to go out of state to find a wife).  Carolinians don’t consider Texas to be part of the South.  They consider us to be part of the West. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep.  My wife is from NC (I was such an a-hole I had to go out of state to find a wife).  Carolinians don’t consider Texas to be part of the South.  They consider us to be part of the West. 

I like the way your wife thinks.

I admit that I am no fan of East Texas though and would readily sell it to Louisiana.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Associated with the South, yes obviously but you’re a dipshit if you think we’re the same as Alabama.

Texas is considered part of the peripheral South which means while yes we were a slave state and in the confederacy, we were and ARE very different from the Deep South in multiple ways from cultural and economics activities to education and healthcare.

There are many papers and scholars that have/can back up these assertions.

According to my eyeballs, we are the most western of any sec school town, and the largest metropolitan tech city of the 16 in the conference.  Culturally….180 degrees.  We are more different than alike.  But, a lot of marriages are like this….and live together as a happy family.

Just now, deadshank said:

But will we give visiting fans directions to our stadium, rotate their tires, walk their dogs and help them get an income tax refund like aggy do?

We will email them beforehand directions, tell them what tow truck drivers to call, make sure a stray collie does not knock up their bulldog, and nah, we are gonna fucking fleece them on their taxes, push it all into our general ed fund and use it to buy bad ass running backs from Florida. Ya know, psyops. we have McRaven to advise. Aggy has this dude. 

image.png.5c2283a59ec2c2c745670ee281421055.png

We are Texas. We are the Empire. 

30 minutes ago, bullet said:

Not only that, but most SEC fans, including my Georgia wife, insist Texas is NOT the South.

The fact that we don't insist on sweet tea is a clear signal!  And to top that off, we have our unsweetened tea or Shiner bock with beef BBQ, not pork.

This native Texan ALWAYS insists on his sweet tea.

In the Houston area Shiner Bock was not available in the '70s-- showed up sometime in the '80s. There was only regular Shiner in the stores, now known as "Shiner Premium."

The only thing you got right was beef BBQ.

You must be another youngin'.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

This native Texan ALWAYS insists on his sweet tea.

In the Houston area Shiner Bock was not available in the '70s-- showed up sometime in the '80s. There was only regular Shiner in the stores, now known as "Shiner Premium."

The only thing you got right was beef BBQ.

You must be another youngin'.

Shiner Bock was our go to cheap keg beer at UT in mid to late '80s.  No sweet tea for this native Texan.

• Hook 'Em 5