2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

1 minute ago, Nope said:

Meh…seemed like he got bullied by DBs all season

Well he was a freshman. That being said, I fail to see why everyone is so excited for a guy who basically caught one pass a game and TCU was so excited about him they promptly signed a ton of WRs who haven’t done shit elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well he was a freshman. That being said, I fail to see why everyone is so excited for a guy who basically caught one pass a game and TCU was so excited about him they promptly signed a ton of WRs who haven’t done shit elsewhere. 

True, but I also didn’t see the plus athleticism that I expected based on his HS tape. He looked more like Alvonte Woodard.

1 minute ago, Nope said:

But I am curious to see which coach looks at him and says “well he couldn’t get open playing for Sonny Dykes, but we can change that!”

He was a true freshmen on a roster that was very veteran heavy at that position. I believe it was Gerry or someone else on IT that said TCU is very excited about him in the future a few months back.

image.thumb.png.fc2573c47dc9b774e4f0b82f00403802.png

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He was a true freshmen on a roster that was very veteran heavy at that position. I believe it was Gerry or someone else on IT that said TCU is very excited about him in the future a few months back.

Gerry was his biggest media cheerleader in high school, so he's got a vested interest in Hudson getting good reports in college. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any stats on how many times he was targeted? I watched 5-6 TCU games this year and it wasn’t like they weren’t trying to get it to him

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I get it. TCU had a stacked WR. 1st round talent Junior and Seniors that will get NFL looks. Getting excited about the potential of a freshmen in a stacked room is far more understandable, than getting excited about former high level recruits that have never seen the field and are RS Sophs or seeing people ask about guys like Clayton Smith, who didnt see the field on a shitty defense. 

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

“Texas has a lot of money and if a player they think is really good hits the portal, they’re going to go after him.”

$9.95 plz

Fake news, I heard our portal recruiting is lacking because we don't go after anyone! 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I get it. TCU had a stacked WR. 1st round talent Junior and Seniors that will get NFL looks. Getting excited about the potential of a freshmen in a stacked room is far more understandable, than getting excited about former high level recruits that have never seen the field and are RS Sophs or seeing people ask about guys like Clayton Smith, who didnt see the field on a shitty defense. 

My greater point is that, if they were so excited for him, I would think they'd have given him the hardest possible sell to not hit the portal, starting with "you're our #1 guy" and "we are about to spotlight you in the Quentin Johnson AND Taye Barber role." Instead they brought in JoJo Earle and some donk from Oklahoma State, and this dude hit the bricks. That doesn't sound like they pulled out all the stops to keep him on campus. 

Now, could there be plenty of other reasons he wanted out of TCU? Absolutely. Could he be legitimately talented? Yeah, it's quite possible. For sure he was highly ranked. But what I am saying, is that the "HOLY SHIT WE HAVE TO GET HIM HE WOULD BE A HUGE CONTRIBUTOR AND BOOST TO THE WR ROOM" takes here seem...premature at best. His grade at this point is an incomplete, so lets stop pretending like he is a guaranteed difference maker. He doesn't even fit the profile of the alleged taller WR that Sark seems to be looking for...but shit, I guess they'll take talent regardless, period. 

15 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

How well does Hudson track the ball?

Go look at his HS hudl. Because there isn't enough college tape of him playing to form an adequate sample size to evaluate. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My greater point is that, if they were so excited for him, I would think they'd have given him the hardest possible sell to not hit the portal, starting with "you're our #1 guy" and "we are about to spotlight you in the Quentin Johnson AND Taye Barber role." Instead they brought in JoJo Earle and some donk from Oklahoma State, and this dude hit the bricks. That doesn't sound like they pulled out all the stops to keep him on campus. 

Now, could there be plenty of other reasons he wanted out of TCU? Absolutely. Could he be legitimately talented? Yeah, it's quite possible. For sure he was highly ranked. But what I am saying, is that the "HOLY SHIT WE HAVE TO GET HIM HE WOULD BE A HUGE CONTRIBUTOR AND BOOST TO THE WR ROOM" takes here seem...premature at best. His grade at this point is an incomplete, so lets stop pretending like he is a guaranteed difference maker. He doesn't even fit the profile of the alleged taller WR that Sark seems to be looking for...but shit, I guess they'll take talent regardless, period. 

Go look at his HS hudl. Because there isn't enough college tape of him playing to form an adequate sample size to evaluate. 

No idea if Hudson will become a great player. He is very talented. I wouldnt read too much to the fact TCU was brought in portal WRs. I believe they are losing Quentin Johnston, Taye Barber, and Derius Davis.  That is their top 3 receivers in yards and catches. The red flag on Hudson would be that he got red assed over the obvious need to bring in portal WRs. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Would be a tremendous addition to our roster. 

Hudson is a stud, he could come in and play immediately. Color me skeptical that they let him walk out the door, but if he does, hell yes.

In my perfect world, do we get to choose between Hudson and AD Mitchell? Because that is a world I would like to live in. 

Edited by Vertigo

Reading the tea leaves... so Hudson is a Dallas kid who commits to SMU over offers from Bama and Texas when Rashad Samples was the WR coach there. Decommits and moves across town with Dykes and Samples. Signs at TCU at the early period last year when Samples was still their WR coach. Samples leaves for the Rams in March. Hudson enters the portal in January of the next year. 

I'm not exactly Barnaby fucking Jones over here, but I think we can guess where this is heading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Hudson is a stud, he could come in and play immediately. Color me skeptical that they let him walk out the door, but if he does, hell yes.

In my perfect world, do we get to choose between Hudson and AD Mitchell? Because that is a world I would like to live in. 

I am not sure he is a stud. He averaged 12.4 a catch and caught about 66% of his targets. Not like he shined in with the targets he did have. I think it is better to say he has the potential to be a stud. His comp is more like a Johntay Cook, than a proven college WR

21 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Hudson would be a solid addition to the WR room. All 3 starting WR are leaving after next season and we could use the depth.

Maybe, maybe not, there certainly aren't any stats to prove that. He spurned us out of HS, fuck him, there are and will be better options based on proven production.

22 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Hudson would be a solid addition to the WR room. All 3 starting WR are leaving after next season and we could use the depth.

You forgot to mention that Hudson will help us get to the Alamo bowl. Sark won’t use him correctly anyway and you wish sark would listen to you about halftime adjustments. Other than that yeah I agree he’d be a good pick up. 

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Hudson seems similar to DeAndre Moore in both size and speed. Mitchell would bring something different into the WR room. Plus, he is proven. So, if those were the two choices, I wouldn't even hesitate to choose Mitchell.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Reading the tea leaves... so Hudson is a Dallas kid who commits to SMU over offers from Bama and Texas when Rashad Samples was the WR coach there. Decommits and moves across town with Dykes and Samples. Signs at TCU at the early period last year when Samples was still their WR coach. Samples leaves for the Rams in March. Hudson enters the portal in January of the next year. 
I'm not exactly Barnaby fucking Jones over here, but I think we can guess where this is heading.

So … he’s going to the Rams?
  • Haha 1

IT on the portal

Portal recruiting 

Everyone knows the clock is ticking on players being able to enter the portal. Today is January 13 and players have until January 18 to add their names before the entry window closes. Inside Texas checked with a source late Wednesday night to gauge his confidence on Texas landing a wide receiver or two. The source was still felt confident Texas would be able to land an impact player.

A name to watch at receiver is USC’s Gary Bryant. Bryant was not only highly rated as a prospect (Top 50 player in 2020) but he also demonstrated that talent in 2021 when he had 44 receptions for 579 yards and 7 touchdowns. He was someone widely speculated to enter the portal after redshirting this season, however it was originally believed he would enter in the May 1-15 window. Bryant graduates from USC in March. He must be intelligent to graduate that fast. If Texas needs to it will go all in on Bryant but he’s not in a hurry to have resolution on his recruitment and obviously he’s not looking for a new school in the next week. 

The competition for Bryant will be fierce but hopefully UT won’t need to join the fray. We shall see.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure he is a stud. He averaged 12.4 a catch and caught about 66% of his targets. Not like he shined in with the targets he did have. I think it is better to say he has the potential to be a stud. His comp is more like a Johntay Cook, than a proven college WR

You can drown in minutia all you want, the kid is a take regardless. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You can drown in minutia all you want, the kid is a take regardless. 

The difference between proven college production and potential based off recruiting ratings is not minutia. If it was minutia Texas would have visited the CFP at least once. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1