Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My kid’s summer soccer fitness deal cancelled a couple weeks ago because of lightning in the area. Could be dangerous I guess. But do they cancel when the heat index is 105+ which will for sure affect every kid there?  Nope.  

Just rub some dirt on it 

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

@Scipiowas telling me last year that I believe they cancel his sons baseball league at something like 90 degrees bc it’s too hot and dangerous. This was in Northern California

i just laughed. 

Baseball?  A sport where it’s rare for anyone to run 200 feet in one go, and most of the game is spend standing in place?

12 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

There was a day back in September 2000 (I think) that was like 115. I was working at Dell at the time and my cheap sunglasses melted in my car.

i know exactly what week that was. it was my freshman year on campus. we played ULaLa for our home opener and our group sat in the top row in the NE end zone b/c there was an oak tree that provided shade.  the entire week had been hot, > 105 degrees and one of those days was the hottest day EVER in austin.  the stadium was baking from the residual heat even for an 11:30am kick.  it was miserable.  but so awesome.

Baseball?  A sport where it’s rare for anyone to run 200 feet in one go, and most of the game is spend standing in place?

While true there are also two of the 10+ players involved in the game at any given time working their fucking asses off. One trying to throw a ball over and over again with as much speed/break/etc as he can and one sitting back there wearing armor trying to catch it, get it back to him and contain runners.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

While true there are also two of the 10+ players involved in the game at any given time working their fucking asses off. One trying to throw a ball over and over again with as much speed/break/etc as he can and one sitting back there wearing armor trying to catch it, get it back to him and contain runners.

Yep.  SUper hot days are brutal on catchers.  It's tough pitching in those conditions, but pitchers are usually able to take on that workload.   

• Like 1

Yep.  SUper hot days are brutal on catchers.  It's tough pitching in those conditions, but pitchers are usually able to take on that workload.   

Yep. I got an about to be sophomore in HS and he just played in six 7inning games in 4 days between last Th and Sunday here in DFW. It was brutal on the catchers and it was brutal enough on him when he pitched. And the crazy thing. It’s generally easier at this age. Pitchers and catchers are good. Defense is good etc. You don’t generally have long drawn out shitshow innings and the teams carry more players.

But go back down a few years to 10, 11, 12 year olds etc and you can see some longass innings with teams that may have only one or two kids that catch.

12 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Yup

B0C617CB-89BA-455C-A9C7-774B9CAED180.thumb.png.dc7b1f542d343087e0b4c692ec9b4d71.png

San Diego Meteorologist gotta be the easiest job on earth.

"And we turn to our 5-day and wouldn't you know it, sunny and in the high 70's cooling to the low 60's after sunset. Be careful this weekend folks, as we're looking at a major heat wave that will have temps soaring to 3 or even 4 degrees above average."

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

"And we turn to our 5-day and wouldn't you know it, sunny and in the high 70's cooling to the low 60's after sunset. Be careful this weekend folks, as we're looking at a major heat wave that will have temps soaring to 3 or even 4 degrees above average."

I used to spend a lot of time there. The Santa Anna Wind events are horrible. Have also frozen sitting in the back of my brother's jeep. It does vary, but damn this time of year is wonderful. 

7 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Even right by the Mexico border the weather is spectacular:

1E380297-03B2-4244-984B-AFDAF7A33F20.thumb.png.9786d0ff23e8c6fc1b1e7c88f761707b.png

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Lulz.  And they have a segment like every ten minutes in the morning to boot.

Spend a lot of time talking about how the weather will be different along the coast, inland, mountains, and desert.  

When the overcast will burn off.

Wave height, direction, and rip currents.  

High tide and low tide.

Water temp.

UV index.

Adopt-a-pet

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

I used to spend a lot of time there. The Santa Anna Wind events are horrible. Have also frozen sitting in the back of my brother's jeep. It does vary, but damn this time of year is wonderful. 

When they're blowing hot from the north, I just go for a ride.

Sorry everybody.  Please don't blast me.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Lulz.  And they have a segment like every ten minutes in the morning to boot.

Spend a lot of time talking about how the weather will be different along the coast, inland, mountains, and desert.  

When the overcast will burn off.

Wave height, direction, and rip currents.  

High tide and low tide.

Water temp.

UV index.

Adopt-a-pet

195B0AE7-71B3-42B2-9FB9-E7AE23C24C4F.thumb.jpeg.24d892a44338abbb148e3fe80cb27b5f.jpeg

A little rude too

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Co-worker was down in Tomball 10 days ago at that nice baseball complex on TURF and said it was brutal even coaching 3rd base.  He was told it was 135 on the fields.  

57 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is shaping up to blow 2011 out of the water.  I don't even remember this many days forecast in a row for mid-100s back then.  Maybe there were, but damn, this is brutal.

The 14 day forecast for even North Texas is going to be over 100 for most of those days.  

22 hours ago, yoladu said:

maybe already mentioned.. but the google machine says the hottest recorded high in Austin is 112

the aforementioned Sept 2000 and, of course, the miserable summer of 2011.

• September 5, 2000
  • August 28, 2011.

I moved out of my apartment in Sunset Valley on August 28, 2011.  It was miserable.  I remember that day very well.....

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I hesitate to use a word that's in any way equivalent to "cool front", but weather.com showing max temps for Houston of 93 tomorrow and 95 Friday, with noon temps just below 90 both days. That can't possibly be right.

It ain't right.  You'll take your 99 - 102 and like it.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’ve been more than a dozen times the first week in august. It’s the best vacation ever. Sit on the patio drinking coffee in the morning at 7A looking at the water, playing golf in the afternoon with a hoodie on at a shitty 9 hole course, and local wine and local fish in the evening. 85573c2210f8127379625f6d07bb079d.png

• Hook 'Em 1