Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

109 today. Hoping the AC holds up. 

Today is the first day this summer my AC hasn't been able to maintain its 74 degree set point.  It's been running all afternoon and holding at 75 degrees.  I'll take it considering it's 105 outside.

Fuck this shit.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fuck. That. 

Went outside for a few minutes what I saw that, out of a morbid curiosity. This was basically my conclusion.

I mowed and did some yardwork this morning, done by 9:30-10, and it was already pretty goddamn unpleasant. Neighbor that has probably 20 years on me was out there mowing like an hour ago. Insanity.

So today we are neck and neck with the Phoenix/Palm Springs area as the hottest region in in the Western Hemisphere. 

Never really depressed myself the way it does when I saw that out loud before.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Today is the first day this summer my AC hasn't been able to maintain its 74 degree set point.  It's been running all afternoon and holding at 75 degrees.  I'll take it considering it's 105 outside.

Fuck this shit.

Yep, I purposely kept it at 72 this morning to try and set up a base of cool air for when the AC can't keep up.  Still set at 72, inside temp is 75.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m running an errand and texting my wife screenshots of Austin’s temp and then screenshots of Vermonts 82 degrees.   And it’ll be 59 tonight.  Fuck I’d have the windows open all day and not run AC

Shut up about Vermont

SHUT. UP. ABOUT. VERMONT. 
image.thumb.jpeg.ee29af4f77f7ad05fee9d57dfd622d9f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fuck this shit.

Have mine holding at 91, won't go any lower because it's fucking broke.

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

My dad had some live oaks under distress because of the heat in 2011.  Had an arborist come out and told him to run a soaker hose around the tree from the base to the drip line and run it once a week.  The trees are still there but I don't know if it's a plausible option for you.  Good luck I hate when I see a beautiful old tree die.

I might give that a try, but I'm on my own well.  Good news: no one else imposing water restrictions on me.  Bad news: run the well dry and kiss flushing the toilet and taking showers goodbye.  Most likely the trees are on their own.

Sitting here on Lake Ontario and we need a fire. Says it is 71 on the app but I don’t believe that. Hit 58 on our car thermometer last night by 10 and I think it got a little cooler than that before sunrise. 

4A312C42-9476-496A-9009-CB26FF8A16AA.jpeg

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 2

Windows open and a hoodie on here tonight. Y’all legit be safe - hydrate. If you have no AC or when the Texas power grid inevitably fails please go find somewhere to stay cool. Even if it’s Oklahoma/Louisiana/NM. Although dying in Texas is arguably better than surviving because Oklahoma. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

Have mine holding at 91, won't go any lower because it's fucking broke.

One of my two AC units broke about two weeks ago. The side of the house that has my office was 89. Temps were 100+ for the four days the unit was out before we could install a new unit. It was miserable but would’ve been unbearable without the second unit cooling a smaller section of the house.

Installed a new 4 ton - 18 SEER unit to replace the old 3 ton unit. Wanted the 20 SEER unit but it’s on back order until probably next year.

Our neighbors lost their house and pets in a fire the night before last. We're in north Austin near the Domain. Everyone on the street was standing out there around 2:30 am watching the fire department do its thing and I remember thinking it was really a goddamn miracle that AFD managed to get the fire out before it spread. The houses on our street back to a greenbelt, which of course was already terribly dry, and the fire started on their backyard deck. Awful.

Caught a stray thunderstorm in Houston last night. Prior to that, it was the hottest I ever recall stepping outside after dark. Went outside around 9:30 or so to grab a beer and it felt like 4:30 on a normal summer day. Utterly absurd. Ended up being the hottest July day ever in Houston, both in terms of highest max temp and highest low temp.

Another scorcher today, but we should get some relief here later this week with some cloudy days and scattered showers. Feel sorry for you poor bastards in CenTex.

35 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Our neighbors lost their house and pets in a fire the night before last. We're in north Austin near the Domain. Everyone on the street was standing out there around 2:30 am watching the fire department do its thing and I remember thinking it was really a goddamn miracle that AFD managed to get the fire out before it spread. The houses on our street back to a greenbelt, which of course was already terribly dry, and the fire started on their backyard deck. Awful.

Same 'hood. They ever find out what did it? Saw an AFD tweet that it was an "undetermined ignition source on the back patio." I automatically think BBQ pit, but not in the middle of the night. 

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Same 'hood. They ever find out what did it? Saw an AFD tweet that it was an "undetermined ignition source on the back patio." I automatically think BBQ pit, but not in the middle of the night. 

My son was woken up buy a couple of loud pops immediately before the fire started, and a few other neighbors heard it too. The house had a nice outdoor kitchen, and the current thinking (according to the owners) is that there was a leak in the gas line that led to the outdoor cooking range, which caught fire and caused the explosion that kicked everything off. 

Also, these might be the hottest days I've even been in Austin. I think the record is 112 set sometime early in the 2000s, but I was gone that summer. 
It's fucking ridiculous.

There was a day back in September 2000 (I think) that was like 115. I was working at Dell at the time and my cheap sunglasses melted in my car.
  • Like 1

There was a day back in September 2000 (I think) that was like 115. I was working at Dell at the time and my cheap sunglasses melted in my car.

99 I think. I was at the opener for dove in Graham and I think it was 115. The AC kept freezing up in the trailer. It hit 100 at 10:00 in the morning.

26 minutes ago, markstanco said:

99 I think. I was at the opener for dove in Graham and I think it was 115. The AC kept freezing up in the trailer. It hit 100 at 10:00 in the morning.

I remember early Sept of ‘98 being terrible as well.  First game of football that year (my HS Sr year) it was 114 air temp.  Was 145 on the field (at least).   Had guys cramping up during pre-game stretches and walk through.    Lost our starting safety on the opening kick to hamstring cramps.   It was still 99 outside when we got on the bus to head back after the game.