Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Parliament

Hell yes. The return of Kittridge, one of the smarmiest antagonists of the 90s. I wish our society would stop shitting on Tom Cruise. The man just wants to give you some great action movies where he's the one actually jumping off shit and risking his life. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

...he's the one actually jumping off shit and risking his life. 

I presume that shot near the end of him jumping off motorcycle, in the air, with a parachute is actually him.  And why not let him do it if he wants?  The studio has him sign a release, takes out a massive life insurance policy and let him have is fun.  Everyone wins.

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m always there opening weekend and forget the movie a day later. Dunno why the MI movies don’t stick with me but I presumably enjoy them.

I'm a little the same way.  The upside is it makes the 5th or 6th time I watch it just as good as the first.

One of the last overseas trips I took before Covid hit had the entire MI catalog as an option.  I started at #3 and just kept going.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  He looked like a JAG movie running prospect in that Risky Business / All the Right Moves / Legend era. Mid 3 star at best.  Then by Rain Man you start to see the potential, the improved posture and smoother gait, but he hasn’t put it all together yet.  Low floor high ceiling 4 star who needs development.  

But then The Firm hits, and it’s just mesmerizing.  The intensity of the facial expression conveying the urgency of the fight or flight instinct is expertly juxtaposed with the grace and efficiency of a gazelle like stride. Poetry in motion.  That’s a clear 5 star 1st rounder with upper management written all over him.

But what really excited the scouts when they watched his film there was how he demonstrated the kind of versatility that only the generational prospects possess.  He showed he can run in suits and loafers or casual wear.  He can run carrying a briefcase or freeloading, for speed or for power, as the chaser or the chased.  You also see him master the ever tricky “wind in the hair” problem that beguiled so many actors before him.  He achieves the ideal level of waviness without venturing into unkempt territory.

Truly a groundbreaking performance.  1st ballot moving running hall of fame type stuff, up there with the T-1000 chasing down cars on foot.

That post is the very definition of surly 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886hehsi56sksbt9o90mx

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lol 122 pounds as a high school senior.

he and xenu have made the best of it though. 

If I was 5'4 I would have been 122 too.  Also this was 1980 before everyone a fatasslardbuttass

20 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not a single franchise in movie history that has gone 7/8 installments and actually gotten better as they have gone on

really incredible, actually

To be fair, MI 2 with John Woo directing was a shitshow. It could only go up from there.

20 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not a single franchise in movie history that has gone 7/8 installments and actually gotten better as they have gone on

really incredible, actually

considering the first one was the best this is an odd comment. 

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

The Big Picture podcast has a Tom Cruise hall of fame episode up today.  

From 86 to 2005 or so he didn't fucking miss.

It's a good listen

Listened this earlier today too.  At about 1992, I knew they were running out of real estate.

• 11 months later...