[Discussion] Mass Shooting at Uvalde Elementary School

I work with some loons. Former navy guy was saying today that the shooter was trained to kill. In his mind there is no way a person who has never fired a weapon could aim, shoot and reload like the killer did. Said it takes training to hit targets like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

I work with some loons. Former navy guy was saying today that the shooter was trained to kill. In his mind there is no way a person who has never fired a weapon could aim, shoot and reload like the killer did. Said it takes training to hit targets like that.

So in his experience, it's hard to take a firearm and kill a bunch of 9 and 10 year-olds who are trapped in a school room?

I can't count the number of times my 9 year-old has frozen up when confronted with a situation he was not prepared for, and while he can usually work out what to do, there is absolutely nothing that could prepare him for what happened in that classroom. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Your coworker is an idiot and so are you for regurgitating that.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The thing about the red-flag laws is that we can start small and see how they work out.  They won't affect law-abiding mentally-stable gun owners.

• People receiving mental health treatment - flag them
  • People on medication for mental health issues (bipolar, etc.) - flag them
  • People involved in violent situations/arguments where the cops show up - flag them
  • People who have made threats to others - flag them

And like others have said, we can also make gun owners/buyers responsible for their kids having access to firearms (and this is starting to happen in a few areas).  Don't lock your shit up and your kid shoots up a school, you can sit in prison next to him.

None of that has to be political, just like the age limits on buying guns, or the barriers to buying automatic weapons, or the ban on convicted felons, are not political.

This is a political question, but of procedure, not D or R.  I would ask elsewhere but not even going to fafo there. 

Can our politicians of any stripe make small, one item bills?  Say we wanted to fix this as a nation, but will never “meet in the middle”, could there be a bill where the only thing passed is a law specific to safe storage, or minimum age, or any of another dozen mostly benign steps towards a solution.  At some point, we’d find the line that one side or the other wouldn’t cross, and there we are.  But instead of adding a bridge to a state, or money to some local slush fund, just a single fucking item and it’s relevant discussion.   

I assume so but we rarely see anything that’s not several hundred pages, so maybe I’m incorrect.  

This was from one of the shooter's classmates:

"He posted videos on his Instagram where the cops were there and he'd call his mom a b---- and say she wanted to kick him out," Reyes said. "He'd be screaming and talking to his mom really aggressively."

And an older neighbor witnessed the cops having to go to the house multiple times to deal with he and his mother.

This is exactly the kind of shit that red flag laws should be used for.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Who thinks it is a good idea to break HIPAA for gun ownership? That is an incredibly slippery slope.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This means this would all be reported to the government. No fucking way am I ok with the govt knowing and tracking what meds I take 

FYI, the government has been able to access your medical records without violating HIPAA for a couple of decades now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Erin Burnett on CNN just said in a segment with two former politicians that she thought Beto’s behavior was inappropriate. One guy was wildly in favor of it. She disagreed. Then she pointed out Beto sent out a timed fundraising email shortly thereafter to ask for money for his grass roots campaign so he can keep fighting for them.   

Offering without comment. 

I'm guessing if I asked you nicely to shut up it wouldn't work?

Please?

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This is a political question, but of procedure, not D or R.  I would ask elsewhere but not even going to fafo there. 

Can our politicians of any stripe make small, one item bills?  Say we wanted to fix this as a nation, but will never “meet in the middle”, could there be a bill where the only thing passed is a law specific to safe storage, or minimum age, or any of another dozen mostly benign steps towards a solution.  At some point, we’d find the line that one side or the other wouldn’t cross, and there we are.  But instead of adding a bridge to a state, or money to some local slush fund, just a single fucking item and it’s relevant discussion.   

I assume so but we rarely see anything that’s not several hundred pages, so maybe I’m incorrect.  

Right now, no, not when it comes to guns.  You would need a solid majority for that.   And here in Texas, our governor signed legislation last year stating that new federal gun control legislation doesn't apply in Texas (the lawyers can explain that one, seems like it wouldn't hold up).

I would love for our legislators to publicly debate very specific issues/lines to see the specific line that one side or the other wouldn't cross.

The most we will see is some school security stuff, like after 2018 (which obviously didn't work).

We might see another run at arming teachers, but like I said, that just puts a firearm within reach of students in a classroom.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right now, no, not when it comes to guns.  You would need a solid majority for that.   And here in Texas, our governor went the other way and signed legislation last year stating that new federal gun control legislation doesn't apply in Texas (the lawyers can explain that one, seems like it wouldn't hold up).

To make matters worse, it's an election year.

I would love for our legislators to publicly debate very specific issues/lines to see the specific line that one side or the other wouldn't cross, but it's too easy for either group to start flinging shit for 60-second soundbites on twitter or whatever.

But technically, it can be done. I understand there’s time restraints to what one can accomplish in so many months while in session.   But the pork, the jam packed shit, and horse trading is why people hate the govt, and why shit stays gridlocked.  That leads to EOs, which I’m certain #BoThSiDeS actually do hate.  

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

But technically, it can be done. I understand there’s time restraints to what one can accomplish in so many months while in session.   But the pork, the jam packed shit, and horse trading is why people hate the govt, and why shit stays gridlocked.  That leads to EOs, which I’m certain #BoThSiDeS actually do hate.  

It’s cute that you think there would be any support for a single issue bill to address this. 

have you not been paying attention for the last 10 years?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, speaking of who gives a fuck...apparently nobody about you.  Lulz, have more neg loser. 

Fuck you in the ass, you sooner blowhard!  See my handle, I've got more shit than you could ever dream of having.  I have read your bullshit for years and I'm fucking sick of it! Get lost lost you social climbing piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 19

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right now, no, not when it comes to guns.  You would need a solid majority for that.   And here in Texas, our governor signed legislation last year stating that new federal gun control legislation doesn't apply in Texas (the lawyers can explain that one, seems like it wouldn't hold up).

I would love for our legislators to publicly debate very specific issues/lines to see the specific line that one side or the other wouldn't cross.

The most we will see is some school security stuff, like after 2018 (which obviously didn't work).

We might see another run at arming teachers, but like I said, that just puts a firearm within reach of students in a classroom.

Fuck the idea of arming teachers. My daughter who teaches 3rd grade would be the first to tell you “no fucking way”. (No pics.they’re  on the old site). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, jettrink said:

Fuck you in the ass, you sooner blowhard!  See my handle, I've got more shit than you could ever dream of having.  I have read your bullshit for years and I'm fucking sick of it! Get lost lost you social climbing piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ttom?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s cute that you think there would be any support for a single issue bill to address this. 

have you not been paying attention for the last 10 years?

I’m only questioning the technical ability to approach a bill, not the motives behind each party. 

3 minutes ago, jettrink said:

ron burgundy GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I’m only questioning the technical ability to approach a bill, not the motives behind each party. 

The reality is that there is NO interest in any such bill by the current party that controls the Texas Legislature. Similarly there is no way any sort of bill like that gets through the Senate. 

2 minutes ago, jettrink said:

Your handle?

Popov Vodka 80

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yea it’s the pork that prevents meaningful gun reform. Grow up Peter Pan 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Fuck the idea of arming teachers. My daughter who teaches 3rd grade would be the first to tell you “no fucking way”. (No pics.they’re  on the old site). 

Cops can’t hit shit but I’m sure 45k a year teachers will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, jettrink said:

Please buy us some pass rushers with that oil shit

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It prevents lots of things, dipshit.   

It doesn’t prevent any gun laws you fucking moron. What do you think prevents gun legislation? Ill give you a hint, it doesn’t oink and looks like a group of assholes. 

Edit: originally made a donkey joke in there lol. One too many beverages

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jettrink said:

10/10 lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fatty - HR 8 is the background check bill referenced by Steve Kerr I’m his press conference. It’s all of 8 pages. It has zero chance of going anywhere in the senate but it’s clearly technically possible.

• Hook 'Em 3

I believe we, as a nation, will make progress on this horrific problem. It will happen when a dialogue starts somewhere other than, “If you don’t agree with what I recommend, you must not care about the murdered children”. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

Oh, and on my back porch tonight, my daughter (the third grade teacher) is talking about which doors a shooter could get through at her school. 

Fuck this timeline. 

I’ve had enough. 

you don’t need a fucking AR. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

Fatty - HR 8 is the background check bill referenced by Steve Kerr I’m his press conference. It’s all of 8 pages. It has zero chance of going anywhere in the senate but it’s clearly technically possible.

I’ll look it up. My point was baby steps are better than nothing right now.  You start with safes/locks, or whatever. Something benign that you can easily pass, govt can help fund, etc.  All pass. Ok.  Now let’s look at licensing. Can be done at a govt facility at no cost. Ok, done.  You keep going and see what you can get, then the line gets drawn. At that point, you continue the fight we have now, but at least you got a few things in there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I’ll look it up. My point was baby steps are better than nothing right now.  You start with safes/locks, or whatever. Something benign that you can easily pass, govt can help fund, etc.  All pass. Ok.  Now let’s look at licensing. Can be done at a govt facility at no cost. Ok, done.  You keep going and see what you can get, then the line gets drawn. At that point, you continue the fight we have now, but at least you got a few things in there.  

Great. Let me know when the current Republican Party at any level would let this sort of legislation see the light of day. 

I will give you a hint:  never. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dude the line has been drawn for two decades. Wake the fuck up

• Rage+1 2

33 minutes ago, jettrink said:

So you’re an alcoholic with a learning disability?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dude. Blue states and dem jurisdictions pass shit like this all the time. Then they're opposed by guess who, they go to the courts, and get struck down. 

After every fucking massacre the right says "just propose sensible legislation we can all get behind." 

Then legislation is proposed. 

Then it's opposed UNANIMOUSLY and framed as "Dems coming for your guns!"

Then we repeat.

I promise you this conversation will be repeated when the next group of children get their heads blown off. 

Edit: no less than two months ago the 9th circuit struck down a new California law prohibiting the sale of semiautomatic firearms to persons under 21. Wonder where those judges came from....

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

FYI, the government has been able to access your medical records without violating HIPAA for a couple of decades now.

Restrictions on Government Access to Health Information

45 CFR Part 160, Subpart C; 164.512(f)  (Download a copy in PDF - PDF)

Background

Under the HIPAA Privacy Rule, government-operated health plans and health care providers must meet substantially the same requirements as private ones for protecting the privacy of individual identifiable health information. For instance, government-run health plans, such as Medicare and Medicaid plans, must take virtually the same steps to protect the claims and health information that they receive from beneficiaries as private insurance plans or health maintenance organizations (HMO). In addition, all Federal agencies must also meet the requirements of the Privacy Act of 1974, which restricts what information about individual citizens – including any personal health information – can be shared with other agencies and with the public.
The only new authority for government involves enforcement of the protections in the Privacy Rule itself. To ensure that covered entities protect patients’ privacy as required, the Rule requires that health plans, hospitals, and other covered entities cooperate with efforts by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office for Civil Rights (OCR) to investigate complaints or otherwise ensure compliance.

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This means this would all be reported to the government. No fucking way am I ok with the govt knowing and tracking what meds I take 

If you need psychotropic meds you don’t get a gun. Tough shit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

They could repurpose and work around the issues Bevo highlights using the FDA Sentinel program as the basis tomorrow and build a registry of every individual with a MH diagnosis or psychotropic medication exposure. If that is where you want to go, it would be exceedingly easy with just a few regulatory tweaks. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Erin Burnett on CNN just said in a segment with two former politicians that she thought Beto’s behavior was inappropriate. One guy was wildly in favor of it. She disagreed. Then she pointed out Beto sent out a timed fundraising email shortly thereafter to ask for money for his grass roots campaign so he can keep fighting for them.   

Offering without comment. 

No one gives a fuck what Erin Burnett thinks about Beto’s “behavior”.

Charles Whitman killed 16 people from the top of the UT tower in 1966. Columbine was in 1999. Virginia Tech in 2007. Sandy Hook in 2012. Las Vegas in 2017. Parkland in 2018. El Paso in 2019. Uvalde in 2022.

And that just scratches the surface.

The. Line. Is. Already. Drawn.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Charles Whitman killed 16 people from the top of the UT tower in 1966. Columbine was in 1999. Virginia Tech in 2007. Sandy Hook in 2012. Las Vegas in 2017. Parkland in 2018. El Paso in 2019. Uvalde in 2022.

And that just scratches the surface.

The. Line. Is. Already. Drawn.

For real. NPR won a Pulitzer in audio reporting last year for their series "No Compromise" about the modern gun rights movement, and how the public discourse has been poisoned by just a small handful of bad actors. Fantastic reporting. (Link to the NPR page)

• Hook 'Em 2