Andor

CooterBrown

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The show is definitely going to continue to lean into more harsh and uncomfortable issues - the Andor trailer showed him in a prison planet working in what looks quite a bit like an apple factory. I suspect there's going to be some folks complaining that "Star Wars is getting too political" as the show explores the prison industrial complex, especially after Andor got booked on what was basically a Terry Stop lol

Phantom Menace faced some criticism.  They said the bad emperor guys were Asian, Anakins owner was a Jew and jar jar was kawhi Leonard 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This show makes Rogue One soooo much better. I was one of the few people that was kind of "meh" on Rogue One, but the added backstory enhances it in every way. Exactly the purpose of a spinoff story.

Andor is probably my favorite Star Wars content ever. Mandalorian hinted at how awesome the universe is away from lightsabers and Skywalkers, but was a little too procedural for my liking. Skipped Boba and Obi. This has been phenomenal.

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

It's one of those movies where if I magically get a couple free hours at home with nobody else around and no work to do I'll always put it on. 

I just watched it last night because my wife fell asleep early and no ALCS. I was gruntled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought R1 was good but a little confusing at first because of all the new characters. Andor definitely enhances R1 small number of weaknesses and makes the Star Wars universe seem bigger. 

It's definitely one of the better Star Wars stories, just seems a shame not as many are tuning in. I assume it's because there's no Jedi or OT characters.  

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Space Florida made me chuckle. I love that they are showing the dirty side of the Rebellion and how they made people suffer to further their goals. 

This. I love them getting into the dirty part of the rebellion and the bureaucracy of the Empire 

They’ve been saying it since the beginning.

Rebellions are built on hope but there is always pain and bad things must be done.

Saw Gerrera showed the even darker side of rebellion, when it becomes extremism and terrorism.

Clone Wars(some), Rebels and R1 showed that gray area.

Andor embodies the old “good men must sometimes do terrible things”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

It's one of those movies where if I magically get a couple free hours at home with nobody else around and no work to do I'll always put it on. 

If there is a big load of laundry to do that day it’s going on the tv, and the laundry usually never gets done in the time it should. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this is the case with most movies.

Sure, I'm just saying I thought some movies do it a little better. 

Feel free to dismiss my opinion though, I liked The Last Jedi better (though it didn't fit in the sequel trilogy)

Edited by Viper

I was slow to warm up to the Andor series, partially because I was indifferent to the character from R1. Or more precisely, I liked the other characters from R1 more than Andor. I also think this series will make R1 even that much better. We need a Jyn Erso series or even mini-series at some point.

Spoiler

Not knowing what happens next, I find it a bit reverse deus ex machina that Andor flips over the entire empire by the heist, only to get picked up along with some anti-Empire graffiti protestors. He better hope that hotel has a poor cleaning staff over the next 6 years.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was slow to warm up to the Andor series, partially because I was indifferent to the character from R1. Or more precisely, I liked the other characters from R1 more than Andor. I also think this series will make R1 even that much better. We need a Jyn Erso series or even mini-series at some point.

Reveal hidden contents

Not knowing what happens next, I find it a bit reverse deus ex machina that Andor flips over the entire empire by the heist, only to get picked up along with some anti-Empire graffiti protestors. He better hope that hotel has a poor cleaning staff over the next 6 years.

If It includes Felicity Jones count me in. 

Spoiler

This is purely to continue his investment in the rebel “cause”.

The next 3 episodes will be the prison arc of the series. I’m assuming he binds with another rebel cell, breaks out and keeps running.

We know he might have to fend off a rebel assassination attempt at Kleya’s command. Which I think is outside of Luthren’s wishes
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hide contents

image.jpeg.5b00ae2833fb150419739a149d96b33a.jpeg

On 10/22/2022 at 1:55 PM, Speedtrucker said:

They’ve been saying it since the beginning.

Rebellions are built on hope but there is always pain and bad things must be done.

Saw Gerrera showed the even darker side of rebellion, when it becomes extremism and terrorism.

Clone Wars(some), Rebels and R1 showed that gray area.

Andor embodies the old “good men must sometimes do terrible things”

What season does your handle show up??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Fuck maybe I wasn't paying attention. I thought the space Florida scene was a flashback. Haven't we established that he's already been in prison? 

He was in youth prison as they started to show the flashback of him attacking the Clone Troopers that killed his father. I'm sure they'll show him in a flashback this week. The prison stint is probably what solidifies that he can't run from the Empire and just lay low. 

He was in youth prison as they started to show the flashback of him attacking the Clone Troopers that killed his father. I'm sure they'll show him in a flashback this week. The prison stint is probably what solidifies that he can't run from the Empire and just lay low. 

Right he does a short stint in his youth, and what shoulda been another short stint for this one he looking at 6yrs.

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Fuck maybe I wasn't paying attention. I thought the space Florida scene was a flashback. Haven't we established that he's already been in prison? 

I thought it was a flashback as well. Pretty sure at some point they said he spent 6 years in prison which matched his sentance.

Additionally it directly shows the Imperial crackdown and overreaction that Mon Mothma was worried about and Luthren was aiming for. His goal was to create more rebels. We're now going to see how by following Cassian dealing with the follow on effects of the heist.

Yeah during this point of the rebellion, it is individual cells of the rebellion forming and acting independently in their own interests.

It’ll still be a few more years before the rebellion really starts acting as a larger unit.

We are 5 bby in season 1 of Andor, which is actually the start of the Rebels show as well. I’d imagine season 2 will get us to 0 bby leading right into R1.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was randomly poking around Star Wars lore and saw a few people breaking down Rebels and Andor year of 5bby like Agent Kallus having so much control except only when Tarkin, Vader or Thrawn are around set to Colonel Yularen’s speech that the emperor had assured him that the ISB would be taking lead from now on.

Also some of the arrests being made for random minor transgression being labeled treason being compared directly to Yularen’s speech about even indirectly crimes against the empire being now labeled a class 1 criminal act.

I was sold. Lol

Forest Whitaker about to f*** around and win an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor isn’t he? 

Luna killed it. He’s in way over his head and is scared shitless. And Luna did it all with facial expressions. Very difficult to convey on film. 

Skars just putting in work. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

That was a really really fucking good episode. Serkis did more there than he ever hoped to do as Snoke and Saw makes his appearance.

THIS

46 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

THX 1138!

Saw is an anarchist, he was brilliant in that scene.

The nerds are saying the prison is making parts for the viper droid (imperial probe droid). The leg chasis. Looks close

CAST

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Forest Whitaker about to f*** around and win an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor isn’t he? 

Luna killed it. He’s in way over his head and is scared shitless. And Luna did it all with facial expressions. Very difficult to convey on film. 

Skars just putting in work. 

IS BRILLIANT!! 

If this show doesn’t win awards I’m going to riot. It just keeps getting better and better. My jaw hit the floor when Serkis showed up because I knew this arc was going to be a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I really like the writing in this show - Cassian ended up in an imperial work prison because he bailed on his crew and went to space Miami to lay low. Now he is going to get it beaten into him that there is no lying low with the empire, and that you can't make it through that sort of oppression on your own. You'll get quickly killed instead of slowly ground down if you don't support your brothers alongside you in resisting. I can't wait to see what happens with the prison sign language 

It's a really nice contrast against the Saw Guererra monologue where nobody would pass his purity test and so he refused to get involved with the cause. Doubled in as well with the elite do-nothing class debating the idea of the PORD (the space patriot act) while cutting back to a shell shocked Cassian in a 6 year sentence for looking suspicious and resisting arrest. 

Just phenomenal stuff. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Melshi was in the prison too! Another R1 alum. 

Yeah that gave me the smiles.

He looked a little different because his head was shaved in R1, but definitely was him. Very cool.

And yeah that episode was just fantastic.

Serkes was great. Forrest was great. Stellan was great.

Just a great fucking show all the way around.

Something else that I noticed after the last episode after I randomly re-watched one of the Andor trailers.

When Vel and Cinta were talking, Cinta mentioned something about "running away from a rich family" as a sort of "dig" on Vel.

And I'll put what I noticed in the trailer in spoilers just in case... I mean it was in the trailer, but if you haven't watched in a while you probably don't remember/missed it:

Spoiler

There is a quick shot in one of the trailers of Vel talking with Mon Mothma on Coruscant. I don't remember the exact dialog, but Vel is saying something about "making a real difference" or something like that. Is Vel possibly Mon Mothma's oldest daughter? I know they have a younger daughter in the show, and I don't recall them talking about an older daughter but thought that was an interesting possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just put Luthen and Saw and have them argue about the right way to rebel for ten episodes. 

The acting across the board had been exceptional.  I am invested in so many characters now because I just want the actor or actress to get more screen time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3