Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

It's the Republican version of the DT threads.  Safe spaces for cunts who are okay with kids getting murdered. 

I mean when you have a position that’s both untenable and indefensible, and you (at least to some extent) are aware that it’s untenable and indefensible, the fuck are you gonna do? Agree to a fucking debate? Hell no, and you’re especially not gonna do it in an emotionally charged climate where people are even more against you than they already were…oh and don’t forget all those fence sitters that stopped sitting and went to the other side.

The “let’s not politicize this thing right now” crowd is the heel wrestler getting down on his knees with his hands together pleading the babyface doesn’t pound him any further. It’s pathetic.

CB94EE35-9563-453C-8DFD-15E3E2A39393.jpeg.7949ebace533a085c951935bad26ccfb.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yall I hate the NRA as much as the next guy, but some of that is getting close to terrorism rhetoric lol. Dial the surly back before you end up on some watchlist lol.

I mean the solution is always more violence, right? 

So looking at constraints:

If we can't raise the age of semi-auto possession from 18 to 21 for males (9th circuit noped)

If we can't take all the guns (Half a billion or more guns and at least 100M owners. Even if all the laws were passed, and we some how strip people of the knowledge or means to build 100 year old technology, collection would take decades and the violence would escalate)

If we can't address mental health issues (stigma, lack of funding, parental refusal to acknowledge, etc)

If we can't pass a law banning the publishing of the shooter's name (1st amendment I'm sure)

The only remotely feasible option I'm seeing is federal funding to harden schools. I know we've reached this conclusion before and people hate it too. But what alternative is there? 

I do think @burntorangebongoshad an interesting thought... Hold the families responsible for failing to address mental health issues. The details of that are messy but at least it might be constitutional..?

7 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I mean when you have a position that’s both untenable and indefensible, and you (at least to some extent) are aware that it’s untenable and indefensible, the fuck are you gonna do? Agree to a fucking debate? Hell no, and you’re especially not gonna do it in an emotionally charged climate where people are even more against you than they already were…oh and don’t forget all those fence sitters that stopped sitting and went to the other side.

The “let’s not politicize this thing right now” crowd is the heel wrestler getting down on his knees with his hands together pleading the babyface doesn’t pound him any further. It’s pathetic.

They are counting on the public’s squirrel level attention span to move on to the next shiny object in the news cycle and avoid having to deal with the emotional attachment to the horror. It also gives them to get their messaging synchronized and sprinkle some conspiracy shit into the ether to muddy up the waters enough to make the debate around the tragedy bigger than the actual tragedy. 

And inevitably Ricky Steamboat gets hit in the nuts again and again.

30 minutes ago, Caponata said:

I'm seeing Twitter threads arguing if he is white-Hispanic or not. Not that a psychopath with easy access to guns just murdered a bunch of fucking children. This country is fucked. 

Stop voting for Republicans then and change it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm feeling pretty despondent today.  Every time we have a school shooting it's like watching the same fucking terrible movie all over again on this site and social media in general.  You have a lot of upset people begging our horseshit "leadership" to do something, anything that would attempt to decrease the frequency of these events.  Then you have the "it's a magazine, not a clip" crowd show up with their "we've tried absolutely nothing and we're all out of ideas" BS.  Then the country sees something else shiny and moves on after a few weeks. 

Gun culture in this country (along with a pile of other BS) makes me not want to live here any longer.  I don't know how we put the pig back in the proverbial pen WRT to our country's sick fascination with guns.  Living in a small town in East Texas you see it everywhere - bumper stickers, shirts, hats, etc. - people advertising their idolization of guns.  You see it on literal signs in people's yards - God, Guns and Trump 2024.

The proposed solutions from the leaders in this state are never Less Guns, it's always MOAR Guns.  These days even gun safety is seen as an attack on the right to own weapons of war.  My wife led a local chapter of Moms Demand Action after the school shooting in Florida.  She built a pretty active group in our town, had buy in/support from some of the local churches, and had a few well attended events every year.  She had to stop doing it because she was getting threats from loonies on FB.  Moms Demand Action isn't trying to take away guns - she would give away free handgun locks and whatnot at their events and their main goal is gun safety.  That warranted threats from some assbags who probably have punisher stickers with ARs in a cross behind them on their trucks.  How do we as a country turn that around?  I don't think we can.

I'm a gun owner.  I've been shooting guns since my grandfather gave me a single shot .410 and an old Winchester pump .22 when I was probably 8 years old.  I don't hate ARs, I've been pig hunting with them and I know it's a better functional option than the bolt action rifles that I own.  But, they absolutely need to be harder to get.  Period.  I have to have a license to sell insurance, to drive a car, to go fishing, to go hunting, etc. etc.  But I don't need shit to go buy any gun I want and carry it wherever I want in this state any longer.  How fucked is that?     

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Obviously the policy solution is to give those brave heroes who stood outside while kids and teachers were being massacred even more money and equipment, and to fund it by slashing teacher salaries while telling them they need to be willing to sacrifice their lives to protect children. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I am a gun nut myself, but we can't have pimple faced Call of Duty loving 18 year old losers buying AR15's. Hell, they can't buy pistols until 21. Bump the damn age up to 25 as a start. I'm also ok with requiring background checks on private sales. I would require one if I ever decided to sell a gun, which I don't do.

If you vote Republican then everything you just said is a lie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I'm feeling pretty despondent today.  Every time we have a school shooting it's like watching the same fucking terrible movie all over again on this site and social media in general.  You have a lot of upset people begging our horseshit "leadership" to do something, anything that would attempt to decrease the frequency of these events.  Then you have the "it's a magazine, not a clip" crowd show up with their "we've tried absolutely nothing and we're all out of ideas" BS.  Then the country sees something else shiny and moves on after a few weeks. 

Gun culture in this country (along with a pile of other BS) makes me not want to live here any longer.  I don't know how we put the pig back in the proverbial pen WRT to our country's sick fascination with guns.  Living in a small town in East Texas you see it everywhere - bumper stickers, shirts, hats, etc. - people advertising their idolization of guns.  You see it on literal signs in people's yards - God, Guns and Trump 2024.

The proposed solutions from the leaders in this state are never Less Guns, it's always MOAR Guns.  These days even gun safety is seen as an attack on the right to own weapons of war.  My wife led a local chapter of Moms Demand Action after the school shooting in Florida.  She built a pretty active group in our town, had buy in/support from some of the local churches, and had a few well attended events every year.  She had to stop doing it because she was getting threats from loonies on FB.  Moms Demand Action isn't trying to take away guns - she would give away free handgun locks and whatnot at their events and their main goal is gun safety.  That warranted threats from some assbags who probably have punisher stickers with ARs in a cross behind them on their trucks.  How do we as a country turn that around?  I don't think we can.

I'm a gun owner.  I've been shooting guns since my grandfather gave me a single shot .410 and an old Winchester pump .22 when I was probably 8 years old.  I don't hate ARs, I've been pig hunting with them and I know it's a better functional option than the bolt action rifles that I own.  But, they absolutely need to be harder to get.  Period.  I have to have a license to sell insurance, to drive a car, to go fishing, to go hunting, etc. etc.  But I don't need shit to go buy any gun I want and carry it wherever I want in this state any longer.  How fucked is that?     

We don’t let people under 25 rent a fucking car, but you can buy gun(s!) at 18.  We limit how much Sudafed you can buy, but not bullets or magazines. And before too long we will probably be tracking women’s pregnancy status and travel, but can’t be bothered to track the purchase of guns. The answer is turbo fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I am a gun nut myself, but we can't have pimple faced Call of Duty loving 18 year old losers buying AR15's. Hell, they can't buy pistols until 21. Bump the damn age up to 25 as a start. I'm also ok with requiring background checks on private sales. I would require one if I ever decided to sell a gun, which I don't do.

We need more of this and I appreciate you saying it, but until you start demanding this from the people you vote for then fuckall is going to change.  You realize this, right?

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Obviously the policy solution is to give those brave heroes who stood outside while kids and teachers were being massacred even more money and equipment, and to fund it by slashing teacher salaries while telling them they need to be willing to sacrifice their lives to protect children. 

I recognize you’re posting sarcasm, but someone will be serious about that. I think it was posted earlier, but the Uvalde PD is already something like 40% of the city’s budget. You could triple it and you still couldn’t cover every soft target. Target hardening is absolutely bullshit deflection. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When someone uses the term, Judeo-Christian, you already know 99% of their overall thoughts on life.

And you also know 100% their overall thoughts on honesty and loyalty to facts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Keef said:

Damn those pictures of the kids are tough to see.  I have one and my life would be in absolute shambles if anything ever happened to her.  

I don't have any kids, nor will I ever, and this shit is fucking awful.  The blatant disregard for the existence of other human beings in this world is at the heart of all of this.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't have any kids, nor will I ever, and this shit is fucking awful.  The blatant disregard for the existence of other human beings in this world is at the heart of all of this.

Unless they’re unborn fetuses. Then their potential for personhood is really, really important. After they’re born and are actually living, breathing persons...fuck ‘em. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Unless they’re unborn fetuses. Then their potential for personhood is really, really important. After they’re born and are actually living, breathing persons...fuck ‘em. 

He said it perfectly 30 years ago. 

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I do think @burntorangebongoshad an interesting thought... Hold the families responsible for failing to address mental health issues. The details of that are messy but at least it might be constitutional..?

And how exactly do we get people to become mental health experts.   A lot of those parents/grandparents/family members are struggling themselves.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

And how exactly do we get people to become mental health experts.   A lot of those parents/grandparents/family members are struggling themselves.  

And then how are they supposed to pay for it in this country that doesn’t have free health care?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

I still can’t fathom that we choose, CHOOSE, to make our children bear this burden. The party of life chooses to make kids go through active shooter drills, carry bulletproof backpacks, and cower in fear while shooters rampage through what should be a place of learning instead of trying to address the obvious gun access issue. This is inexplicable to my family in Germany. You can’t make this make sense to rational people outside of our dumb fucking gun culture bubble. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, B00M said:

If we can't raise the age of semi-auto possession from 18 to 21 for males (9th circuit noped)

If we can't take all the guns (Half a billion or more guns and at least 100M owners. Even if all the laws were passed, and we some how strip people of the knowledge or means to build 100 year old technology, collection would take decades and the violence would escalate)

If we can't address mental health issues (stigma, lack of funding, parental refusal to acknowledge, etc)

If we can't pass a law banning the publishing of the shooter's name (1st amendment I'm sure)

The only remotely feasible option I'm seeing is federal funding to harden schools. I know we've reached this conclusion before and people hate it too. But what alternative is there? 

Go fuck yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I already posted this is impossible for many reasons. There are ~131,000 K-12 schools in this country. We can’t even fix our fucking bridges that are falling apart, but we will somehow shit enough money to harden that many schools to every potential mass shooting scenario?  It’s not remotely feasible.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I

We always chalk it up to “mental health issues” when that isn’t the only thing it could be.  If he was bullied and had a fractured home life (like some reports are saying), to me, that doesn’t scream mental health issue but it does scream trauma.  It’s sounding like (to me) he had childhood trauma that he wasn’t able to fully deal with and this was his “outlet” for his anger in dealing with that. 

That, to me, isn’t mental health—however, the solution is similar.  

Having a traumatic life/childhood doesn’t necessarily mean you’re mentally fucked up.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread