Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No need to do consumer-end legislation. Just ban the sale, manufacture, and import of all firearms and ammunition. Without mass industry behind it, this falls apart.

People can talk about ghost guns all day, but that will always be insanely niche. And the existing massive stock of weapons and ammo will deplete and degrade over time. It won't stop the school shootings in 2023, but it will stop the ones coming in 2030.

But we don't care. The Republicans want to make it easier to mass murder children and the Democrats want to preen and virtue signal.

Thoughts and prayers, y'all.

Is that all?

• Haha 1

Contrast this with Abbott who sounded like he was reading off census data.  

Because this matters to him LESS than census data. Census data can be used for partisan redistricting to further cement tyranny of the minority. It’s more precious than gold to the GQP. Today’s event? Just some dead kids. Not his, so who gives a fuck?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Keef said:

Contrast this with Abbott who sounded like he was reading off census data.  

His tone was all about how this shooting was gonna fuck up his big NRA speech/trip to Houston. He was annoyed/inconvenienced. Because he is a rolling lump of moral decay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No need to do consumer-end legislation. Just ban the sale, manufacture, and import of all firearms and ammunition. Without mass industry behind it, this falls apart.

People can talk about ghost guns all day, but that will always be insanely niche. And the existing massive stock of weapons and ammo will deplete and degrade over time. It won't stop the school shootings in 2023, but it will stop the ones coming in 2030.

But we don't care. The Republicans want to make it easier to mass murder children and the Democrats want to preen and virtue signal.

Thoughts and prayers, y'all.

The Democratic House has passed gun control legislation in every session wherein they have been the majority. That ain’t where the preening is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Satchel said:

The Democratic House has passed gun control legislation in every session wherein they have been the majority. That ain’t where the preening is.

"Look, buddy, he rubbed some Icy/Hot on the skin over the tumor, I don't know what the hell more you could expect of the doctor."

Democrats aren't the only problem, but they are a MASSIVE fucking problem in our center-right/right-wing governmental duopoly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh, and there’s about to be a run on ammo. Because that’s how the Religion of the Gun behaves. I was in academy last weekend. Still need another box of 30/06 for my deer rifle. Still can’t find it on the shelves. There’s no money in it; people who buy 30/06 by 20-40 rounds at a time. Know what there were stacks and stacks of? 5.56 - same caliber used today. 100 round boxes. Hundreds of them. Because it is necessary for the Most Holy Sacrament of the Religion of the Gun. Thou shalt always have at least 10,000 rounds of ammo upon thy altar.

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

They should just turn off all the news and just show the names of the people who were murdered and their faces - kill all commercial activity and news around the country - cancel all the sports games. Make every person feel this. Until that happens tomorrow will just be another day, people have already fucking moved on already tonight. 

America breeds killers, literal murderers of our own children. America is a failed capitalist worshipping state. These children's blood are being perversely used to do anything but solve the problem. 

Yes, we should definitely take this action, really reinforce the message. It needs to be in front of everybody, no exception. Except, of course, the Daily Texan on this fucking website which you specifically have control of.

• Hook 'Em 1

This country fucking sucks.

We’ve been dealing with mass shootings at schools and elsewhere for 25+ years and have done nothing. As a society, we’ve deemed this acceptable.

We live in a shitty, stupid, selfish society.

I’m so tired of feeling like this.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Look, buddy, he rubbed some Icy/Hot on the skin over the tumor, I don't know what the hell more you could expect of the doctor."

Democrats aren't the only problem, but they are a MASSIVE fucking problem in our center-right/right-wing governmental duopoly.

But for Republican obstruction, we would have passed gun control legislation years ago. At minimum, we would have background checks legislation but Republicans couldn’t find the decency to support it even in the aftermath of Sandy Hook.

• Like 1

The only thing I know is that the current situation isn't working and is completely unacceptable.  It is UNACCEPTABLE that kids get killed in schools, people get killed in churches, shoppers get killed in stores, etc., etc.  What we have in place isn't working.  So we've got to try something else, and that "something else" doesn't need to come from just one side of the political aisle.  Fuck it -- try anything and everything else.  But DO SOMETHING.

Strict gun and ammo control laws?  Sure, put 'em in place.  Enhanced mental health provider services along with new laws designed to promote earlier detection of high-risk subjects?  Absolutely.  Armed and trained security at schools?  Great, get 'em in place.  Put a surcharge on all gun and ammo sales to pay the increased costs of doing all this.  What other measures can we take to help reduce the chances that more incidents like this won't happen again?  I'm all ears.  I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

Because what we have in place now ain't working.  And we've got to change it.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is an understandable but ultimately regressive and dark way of responding.  Living with a family member with mental health issues is a tremendous burden for the most well-positioned among us, it creates its own mental health issues. On everything from care and treatment to the ease of acquiring weapons, we make it harder for families to do the right thing. Then we punish them for that? 

Maybe it's time to make it simpler to commit people with mental illness. 

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No need to do consumer-end legislation. Just ban the sale, manufacture, and import of all firearms and ammunition. Without mass industry behind it, this falls apart. People can talk about ghost guns all day, but that will always be insanely niche.

Insanely niche? NJ, NY, CA, etc, Biden, and his "AFT" talk about "ghost" guns all the time. Is it a real problem that requires executive law making that just occurred (who needs Congress?) or is it insanely niche? It can't be both.

I don't know who you but if you have hands and eyes you are very capable of making a bolt, firing pin, and barrel. There are multiple ways to fabricate each of them. No need to weld or machine anything. All the rest of the parts can be 3d printed or bought at a hardware store. Polymer cased ammunition is already a reality.

You're kidding yourself if you believe this black market doesn't boom in America the second you try to ban manufactures or sue them out of existence.

Edited by B00M
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all can go read my pedigree in the latino thread, but my mom’s side of the family has been hear since at least 1835. I have true Texas credentials. That being said, let me blow your minds. I have neve in my 45 years owned a firearm. I could give a fuck.

Carpetbagger! 

Since James 2 (faith without works) was brought up, more gold from that chapter:

If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that —and shudder.

You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

At this point, could we call prayers without actions for this vain repetitions?

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, B00M said:

Insanely niche? NJ, NY, CA, etc, Biden, and his "AFT" talk about "ghost" guns all the time. Is it a real problem that requires executive law making that just occurred (who needs Congress?) or is it insanely niche? It can't be both.

I don't know who you are very capable of making a bolt, firing pin, and barrel. There are multiple ways to fabricate each of them. No need to weld or machine anything. All the rest of the parts can be 3d printed or bought at a hardware store. Polymer cased ammunition is already a reality.

You're kidding yourself if you believe this black market doesn't boom in America the second you try to ban manufactures or sue them out of existence.

America really is exceptional.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

MAYBE SEEING OUR SCHOOLS AS TARGETS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

fuck im so fucking angry

"So, you want to spend billions of dollars fortifying schools?  Are you going to raise taxes to pay for that?"

"Well, no."

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

And then! Republicans will make voting for a Democrat part of the DSM!

Look, we treated people who were committed so badly that we just stopped doing it. These folks need serious fucking help. We can't expect them to handle it themselves and we can't expect the families to deal with them in an effective way. Commit them, give them help, and treat them humanely. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Look, we treated people who were committed so badly that we just stopped doing it. These folks need serious fucking help. We can't expect them to handle it themselves and we can't expect the families to deal with them in an effective way. Commit them, give them help, and treat them humanely. 

Pfft. This is America. You are a big ol' nancy boy if you want to treat the least among us with anything but scorn and derision. See: the homeless thread.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It's not even clear any of these killers had mental illnesses diagnosable on the DSM.  But even assuming they did, potentially locking people up for seeking help for themselves or their loved ones wouldn't help anyone, and just prevent people from getting assistance for mental illness.

We need to deal with the guns.  It's the guns that are the outlier.  Every country in the world has mentally ill residents.

There's so many that you'll never get all those BB's back in the box, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

Since James 2 (faith without works) was brought up, more gold from that chapter:

At this point, could we call prayers without actions for this vain repetitions?

The Book of James is heterodoxy for Evangelicals. If you have ever seen them try and sweep away the concept of "works" you know what I mean.

It's always, you should do works and never you ought to do works.

Th only way to enact change is by hurting peoples money. Mass protest of people refusing to work until Gun laws are enacted. I’m not talking Brittany Barista at Starbucks. I’m talking sports stars, trains, planes, auto factories, etc. 

Of course this will never happen because most of the country doesn’t give a fuck.

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Th only way to enact change is by hurting peoples money. Mass protest of people refusing to work until Gun laws are enacted. I’m not talking Brittany Barista at Starbucks. I’m not talking sports stars, trains, planes, auto factories, etc. 

Of course this will never happen because most of the country doesn’t give a fuck.

This is exactly right. Pray to the gods of money and sacrifice the children as is necessary to keep them happy. 

• Rage+1 1

This shit happens right here in greater austin too. There was a lockdown locally sometime in the past couple of weeks. This is what we put our kids through, while the right wing jack holes are busy attacking our schools for even mentioning that slavery was an actual thing (copied from my friend, name deleted):

1fc97a4ec582bb3f168d697889769037.jpg

• Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

This shit happens right here in greater austin too. There was a lockdown locally sometime in the past couple of weeks. This is what we put our kids through, while the right wing jack holes are busy attacking our schools for even mentioning that slavery was an actual thing (copied from my friend, name deleted):

1fc97a4ec582bb3f168d697889769037.jpg

That one kid shot himself with an AK47 in the PCL when I was a freshman. Got locked down in my dorm room.

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

"So, you want to spend billions of dollars fortifying schools?  Are you going to raise taxes to pay for that?"

"Well, no."

Take it out of teacher salaries, obviously. Have we replaced them with Christian robots yet? 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

The Book of James is heterodoxy for Evangelicals. If you have ever seen them try and sweep away the concept of "works" you know what I mean.

It's always, you should do works and never you ought to do works.

Don't believe I have ever heard a sermon on James 5.

Y'know the verse about the wages held back. 

I'm gonna post this. again.

I'd like to think maybe it gets better. I'll keep trying anyhow.

• Hook 'Em 3

I can't wait to hear what Abbott's plans are to stop these shootings in the future. I'm sure it's going to be great and not at all similar to doing nothing until people lose interest again. 

He’s going to put together a panel of a few students, a few parents, some law enforcement, and a majority from the gun lobby.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread