Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

I LOVE the let’s not ‘politicize this angle’ too.  Man, I remember 9/11 when we didn’t politicize anything.  Just sat and prayed.  

Didn’t go off the deep end and fill GITMO up with prisoners on no charges, forget even trumped up charges.  And I was ok with that - definitely went too far but it is what it is.  But now, oh no, can’t even discuss how to address this shit show.  

Has the rest of the world, combined, had as many mass school shootings as the great US of A?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Keef said:

Damn those pictures of the kids are tough to see.  I have one and my life would be in absolute shambles if anything ever happened to her.  

I have three kids and as I dropped off my oldest at school this morning (and drove past the big sign in front of the school that warns people that teachers inside are armed) I thought about how I would continue to live my life if one of my kids was murdered in a school shooting.  I don't know that I'd be able to keep my rage under control.  I'm not some billy badass by any stretch, but I really don't know that I could move forward in life without my rage either eating me from the inside out or bubbling over and me lashing out at the political leaders in our state.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I LOVE the let’s not ‘politicize this angle’ too.  Man, I remember 9/11 when we didn’t politicize anything.  Just sat and prayed.  

Didn’t go off the deep end and fill GITMO up with prisoners on no charges, forget even trumped up charges.  And I was ok with that - definitely went too far but it is what it is.  But now, oh no, can’t even discuss how to address this shit show.  

Has the rest of the world, combined, had as many mass school shootings as the great US of A?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/school-shootings-by-country

Top 3

US - 288

Mexico - 8

South Africa - 6

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

The body of that website does detail that some other countries do have school shooting problems. Some of that text:

European countries have had their share of school shootings, although not as frequently as in the United States or Canada. These include eight in Germany since 1913, one in Lithuania (1925), one in Sweden (1961), three since 1967 in the United Kingdom (none after the 1996 massacre), three in Finland since 1989, two in the Netherlands (1999 and 2004), one in Denmark (1994), one in Hungary (2009), two in France (2012 and 2017), one in Estonia (2014), Spain (2015), at least five in Russia since 2014 (including events in May and Seotember 2021), one in Crimea (2018), and one in Poland (2019, no deaths).

Gun violence in Central American countries is extremely common. In Honduras, the homicide rate is many times the global average. Because of heavily armed gangs in Honduras, school shootings “are so common, they are subsumed quickly into the country's news cycle and barely register outside its borders.”. As such, the true number of school shootings in Honduras is unknown, but believed to be high. Mexico has experienced 17 reported school shootings since 2004. All of these incidents have resulted in zero to two deaths each. In each of the three shootings that had two deaths, one was the perpetrator. South Africa has experienced five school shootings since 1994, resulting in eight deaths in total.

Excluding China, several Asian nations have experienced school shootings. These include one in Taiwan (1962), two in Israel (1974 and 2008), one in Yemen (1997), one in the Philippines (1999), one in Thailand (2003), one in Lebanon (2007), one in India (2007), one in Azerbaijan (2009), and one in Pakistan. The "Peshawar siege" in 2014 was a Taliban attack that killed 145 (plus the gunmen), making it the deadliest school shooting in Asia

11 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Yeah, nothing wrong with that.  Totes normal.  Nothing we can do.  

I'm not kidding about the last one.  There is nothing we can do.  We've chosen this.  It's ingrained in our culture.

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this could also go in the GQP death cult thread:

This harks back to those of you who've related the thought processes of people like Mr. Fine. Somehow it is completely alien to him that any citizens exist who believe that there are preventative measures and/or restrictions that can be put in place that don't involve wholly emptying the country of firearms (a Herculean and likely impossible task). To Mr. Fine and others like him it is an all or nothing 'taking.' Not surprising he thinks this--it is what the GOP plans with Roe v Wade and abortion. They cannot conceive of reasonableness and compromise or any such measures that would actually help. The concept of 'help' or 'helping others' to them implies weakness.  Strange for pro-life adherents. Human life would not exist without cooperative assistance from all manner of humans and other species. How painful to have to admit that it must be thus.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Go fuck yourself.

For what? I still believe the best solution here is to keep semi-autos out of young male hands until they turn 21, and legally hammer fuck anyone that arms them intentionally or negligently. But you keep pointing out the 9th circuit ruled that unconstitutional... Perhaps that ruling deserves its own thread. You can cuss at me all you want but we all know drastic gun law changes are not happening any time soon.

This was not what I was expecting to see when I was told to pay attention to the crisis near the border.  No illegal aliens did this.  MS-13 wasn't involved.  Just another mentally ill/outcast young American male with unfettered access to high capacity, semi-automatic rifles killing a bunch of 10 year olds.

about a half hour ago, manu raju got a couple questions to marco rubio in the hallway (i couldn't find the video).  basically it went like this:

sen rubio, do you support universal background checks?  no, that would not solve this problem, people would still get guns.

do you support limitations on ghost guns, buying guns on the internet, or the gun show loopholes?  no, none of these mass shootings used guns bought from gun shows or on the internet.

there may have been another question or two, but you get the idea.  so ok, here we are, with 18 year olds legally buying legal guns and not breaking a single law until they pulled the trigger.  there are some obvious loopholes and gaps in the system, but since these specific incidents weren't caused by abusing those gaps, then there's really no reason to fix them.  ok.

sounds like the only way to fix this is to get rid of all the guns.  i mean, if the small solutions won't work, then only the big ones remain.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

The false flag people make me want to hurt them.  I have already been blocked by three people on FB this morning.  They didn't take kindly to me telling them to fuck off.  

I'm avoiding my usual crew of FB idiots -- what's the "false flag" theory here?

5 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

The false flag people make me want to hurt them.  I have already been blocked by three people on FB this morning.  They didn't take kindly to me telling them to fuck off.  

I don't have the stomach to even be on FB, but good on you for telling these brain-worm-infested false flag asshats to go fuck themselves.  That shit makes me ragey.

59 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I already posted this is impossible for many reasons. There are ~131,000 K-12 schools in this country. We can’t even fix our fucking bridges that are falling apart, but we will somehow shit enough money to harden that many schools to every potential mass shooting scenario?  It’s not remotely feasible.

The same people that won't even discuss gun control are the ones that want public schools closed.  As far as they are concerned this is a feature.  Shoot up some schools and maybe more people homeschool and raise their sons to be monsters that cannot think critically and will follow the next fascist.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

about a half hour ago, manu raju got a couple questions to marco rubio in the hallway (i couldn't find the video).  basically it went like this:

sen rubio, do you support universal background checks?  no, that would not solve this problem, people would still get guns.

do you support limitations on ghost guns, buying guns on the internet, or the gun show loopholes?  no, none of these mass shootings used guns bought from gun shows or on the internet.

there may have been another question or two, but you get the idea.  so ok, here we are, with 18 year olds legally buying legal guns and not breaking a single law until they pulled the trigger.  there are some obvious loopholes and gaps in the system, but since these specific incidents weren't caused by abusing those gaps, then there's really no reason to fix them.  ok.

sounds like the only way to fix this is to get rid of all the guns.  i mean, if the small solutions won't work, then only the big ones remain.

Forest, trees, whatnot.  Oh yeah, and campaign contributions.

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This was literally posted in Texags in the Steve Kerr thread:

Correct.  I quoted it so people didn't have to go over to that cesspool, because spending more than 10 minutes over there makes me think we should press forward with the inevitable Civil War 2.  Nothing is going to change these fuckers' minds, and they're hell-bent on indoctrinating the next generation with "guns n' baby Jesus" with no input from your damn math and science.  

• Rage+1 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

Republicans should simply be asked the following over and over and over:

Do you actually want to prevent future school shootings? How would you do so? When can we expect that legislation?

Until forced to answer the first question, Dems should assume, by their actions up to this point, that their answer is "no." And should be screaming that from the rooftops every got. damn. day.

Republicans accept school shootings.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Republicans should simply be asked the following over and over and over:

Do you actually want to prevent future school shootings? How would you do so? When can we expect that legislation?

Until forced to answer the first question, Dems should assume, by their actions up to this point, that their answer is "no." And should be screaming that from the rooftops every got. damn. day.

It should be “Republicans want school shootings.”

4 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Several.  Election coming up.  Distraction from the WHO taking over the world.  Standard crazy shit.  

Ah.  Yeah, I get that.  Loner 18 YO high school students often sign up to murder nearly two dozen kids and then get killed in the process.  Fucking Democrats.

I don't understand why some of you don't unfriend or at least ignore some of your FB friends. You don't mind posting on this thread about what assholes they are but you refuse to take a stance in real life, as I assume it will cause friction in your life.

You don't have to put people on blast but it's ok to cut people out of your life, even just virtually. If they have a problem with that, that's their problem.

I have friends that I probably disagree with politically but I would not stand around and listen to their crazy talk either in person or online. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Jesus Christ. It’s worthless incompetence vs. organized evil death cult on the other side 

Thanks, Chuck! I guess we can fix this if we show up and vote in a democratic president, house and senate, right? Wait…wut?! Worthless fucking people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It seems like the response from conservatives has coalesced to a degree around the idea of "soft targets."  That the real solution is to eliminate soft targets by fortifying all of our schools.  However, in this instance there were three cops who had an opportunity to stop the shooter but were flat out too fucking scared to stop him.  Three cops vs one high school kid.  Do the "soft target" folks plan on deploying the US Army to all of our schools because our cops clearly aren't up to the task even after being given every toy they could possibly want for decades.

Keep in mind that, as was the case with the Parkland shooting, we can't even discipline cops for behaving cowardly in these situations.

Edited by Starfleet Command
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

Just now, Starfleet Command said:

It seems like the response from conservatives has coalesced to a degree around the idea of "soft targets."  That the real solution is to eliminate soft targets by fortifying all of our schools.  However, in this instance there were three cops who had an opportunity to stop the shooter but were flat out too fucking scared to stop him.  Three cops vs one high school kid.  Do the "soft target" folks plan on deploying the US Army to all of our schools because our cops clearly aren't up to the task even after being given every toy they could possibly want for decades.

Fortifying schools means large govt contracts for donors. Catering to the gun nuts is a locked-in election day vote.  The GOP has made their decisions and trying to shame them is pointless.

What is needed is that Dem candidates just need to paint the GOP with the dead's blood. The tragic Uvalde deaths are owned by Abbott. Don't back down from that message. Don't blame access to guns or policies. Blame the politician to force some voters to understand what they're doing with their gop vote.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Keep in mind that, as was the case with the Parkland shooting, we can't even discipline cops for behaving cowardly in these situations.

And you know the Rs wouldn't give "inner city" schools the funding to build fortresses anyway.

• Rage+1 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread