Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yes. Both can and are certainly true here.

uh, no, it's not. one preceded the other. one is pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the other. to defend the actions of those on stage over the one man standing up to them makes you complicit in these and any future murders. own it.

3 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

It still kills me that the right wants to trot out the mental health canard like they have any fucking interest in doing anything about that either. At least the ones that drop the mask with a so what are being semi-honest for once. 

They aren’t going to do shit about making schools hard targets, either.  Which one of those fucks is gonna vote for more tax dollars for small Mexican-American towns to fortify schools. Not a got damn one.  “Use CRT curriculum money to fund the security.”

Every solution they suggest is mendacious. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Oh......has El Arroyo not heard?  I could have sworn they were on my email list, where they would have received Brisketexans "Two Ironclad Truths of This Timeline: 1) it only gets worse, and 2) there is no bottom."  I'll add them to my mail list -- terrible oversight on my part.

34 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Dems need to be better at fighting, but along the way cannot become the flaming pieces of shit they're fighting against. Be ruthless towards Pub politicians, not poor folks devastated by their anti-life policies.

While South Austin says so much more eloquently and kindly below than I will here......FUCK THAT SHIT.  Most of us have spent the last several decades fighting these horrific issues under Marquess of Queensberry rules while our opposition follows......literally no rules.  They are in the ring swinging nail-studded baseball bats, knives, and shooting at the rest of us with ARs and an endless supply of those weapons supplied by the NRA.  Continuing to follow norms and decency against this opponent is a suicide pact.

The hideous, awful truth, that NONE of us want to be true, but we'd be lying if we argued it was NOT true, is that the only way to defeat monsters doing monstrous things is to become a monster yourself.  Ask an American GI or bomber pilot in WWII what it took to defeat the evil they faced.  It took inhuman, horrific shit.  Nietzche's warning about not becoming what you fight sounds good, it's super-trite....but it's also not reality.  "Attack on Titan" stated the real truth: "To defeat a monster, you must be willing to throw aside your humanity and all that makes you human."

Enough.  At long last, enough.  Stop with the fucking rules, norms, decency, and decorum.  Treat them as ruthlessly and with as little empathy as they treat the rest of us.  They only speak the language of pain -- time to study up and speak in terms they understand, then.

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Karma suggests that his daughter's death was an appropriate reaction to his gun enthusiasm.  That I cannot get behind, and I agree with you.

But he's also put his enthusiasm and political position on gun control out there in the public domain.  While his daughter's death never should have happened, I would hope that this tragedy might cause him to reflect on how he's contributed to a social and political culture that has fostered the epidemic of mass shootings in America and possibly change his beliefs [Narrator: He probably won't], and I think that's suitable for discussion on this message board and other social media platforms.  I don't believe in a "hands off" approach to this guy.

The complicit are guilty too.  It's that simple and true.

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Still waiting on our resident right wingers/gun nuts to come and give some suggestions on what to do about this American pandemic. I can’t believe you bunch of pussy cowards love playing toy solider more than you love your kids. Y’all some fucked up people. Make sure you keep them in your thoughts and prayers! Bitch ass bitches.

Not a "gun nut" by any means, but a lifelong shooter and gun owner.  And I'm in favor of most every restriction/regulation proposed around here recently: I have no problem registering my weapons, getting a license, being required to carry insurance, all that shit.  Because I damned well know that if we aren't willing to be responsible with something -- guns, cars, what have you -- we will lose it, and we will deserve to lose it.

23 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The death of 10 Black people going grocery shopping in Buffalo didn't keep him up at night.  Neither did 23 at a Wal-Mart in El Paso, or 10 at Santa Fe High School, and I could go on for pages.  

I certainly don't wish this on anyone.  But I'm not sure why Republicans get to gleefully wish for lib tears and support policies whose entire point is cruelty, and then ask for sympathy when the cruelty they cheered on hurts them.

He was fine with these deaths when it was someone else's child being murdered.

This is one of the holy foundations of the modern American right: empathy is an unforgivable sin.  Having empathy means you should be mocked as a weak pussy libtard.  It's not just not a QUALITY, having empathy is viewed and derided as a huge flaw.  One should not feel bad when other people are hurt; one should REJOICE, because that's how you can tell the policy is working.  Remember the complaint, more telling than anything else: "he's hurting the wrong people!"  Not "he's hurting people."  They WANT to inflict pain.....just on the right people.  And the only time they feel that pain is not through the twinge of empathy -- they have none -- it's when it is visited on them.  The only way that a member of the American right understands or regrets pain is when he himself suffers from it.  That's it.

17 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Animated GIF

Oh, it's batshit insane.  But.....it's also right there in plain written text, right in front of you.  When they tell you what they are, you should believe them.  The GQP has been telling us what they are for years.  And then, they back it up with proof, over and over and over.  We should believe them.  They aren't shy about telling us how shitty they are.  They are daring us to do ANYTHING to stop them....and we are utterly failing.

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You vote for gun nuts or people owned by the gun lobby. You keep them in power. You are most definitely a gun nut. 

100% this.  People like Poe are this guy: [German in the 1940s] I have never hurt a Jew.  I have never rounded up a single Jew.  I haven't spent a single moment of time building an extermination camp.  I just vote for and unfailingly support the political enterprise that does all of those things.  So, you can see that I obviously have no culpability -- who could have known that my actions insuring that a party that promised a "final solution" of "the Jewish problem" took power and held it without challenge would put them in a position to do the exact thing that they promised? [/German in the 1940s]

Complicity is guilt.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Karma suggests that his daughter's death was an appropriate reaction to his gun enthusiasm.  That I cannot get behind, and I agree with you.

But he's also put his enthusiasm and political position on gun control out there in the public domain.  While his daughter's death never should have happened, I would hope that this tragedy might cause him to reflect on how he's contributed to a social and political culture that has fostered the epidemic of mass shootings in America and possibly change his beliefs [Narrator: He probably won't], and I think that's suitable for discussion on this message board and other social media platforms.  I don't believe in a "hands off" approach to this guy.

Suitable for discussion, not for ridicule. Let the man grieve. If he comes out of this unchanged, then, so be it, let the vitriol loose.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

But....I mean...it was definitely impolite of him to interrupt.  And isn't that the REAL crime we should be talking about here?  Now is not the time to talk about reasonable firearm regulations to try to prevent 19 children from being turned into shattered, bleeding sacks of perforated flesh and bone. No, what we need to talk about now is how Dems sometimes don't have impeccable manners.  That's the REAL CRIME. 

BETO-INTERRUPTION-GATE!: Stay tuned for a 3-night special Tucker Carlson presentation!

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I feel sorry for the girl. She didn’t deserve her fate, neither how she died nor having a shitty person for a father. I don’t feel sorry for her dad at all. I hope the pain of his loss makes him rethink his shitty attitude.

I bet it won’t.

Based on your posting style, I don't doubt this at all. Every big tent needs its assholes, I suppose. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Fuck age limits and universal background checks.  I was for that in the past but we're way past that dozens of shootings and hundreds of dead kids ago. 

Let's just quit commercially selling guns in this country to citizens. Full stop. If you own a gun already, fine. You can keep it, pass it on to your kids, or whatever so long as it's not ever used in the commission of a crime.  Once you do something illegal with a gun, it gets confiscated.

But no new purchases going forward.  If you are caught selling a gun on the black market, first degree felony, maximum sentences.  Some pimple faced 18 year old incel who would shoot up a school full of kids likely won't be able to afford a black market gun. 

You aren't wrong, but we won't even get age limits or background checks. Best case scenario is that guns don't get made even easier to purchase.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

An hour. A fucking hour while they waited on a tactical team. 

One of the major flaws in arming teachers or even armed guards, is that even our cops haven't been properly trained or they just unable to extract a gunman from a small town elementary school. It's hard to think that teachers will be better trained.

I could understand cops not initially storming a classroom if a gunman is in there. After all, maybe just maybe it's a hostage situation and barging in could lead to deaths. However I recall an earlier school shooting that law enforcement did charge in when they heard the first shots.

As tough as it may sound, Uvalde PD seems to have sacrificed one classroom to extract the other students and/or wait for the BP tactical team. I hope I'm wrong but I bet the initial responders are not going to come out of this in a good light.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Best case scenario is that guns don't get made even easier to purchase.

Dude.....do you even Texas?

lol-haha.gif

The MOST likely legislative outcome from this is a law REQUIRING that every Texan own and carry an AR at all times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Pretty sure that was the Uvalde mayor yelling at Beto and telling them to leave.

He’s the guy who looks like a geriatric loser whose had several heart attacks. Real tough to talk shit with cops and a stage between you and   Beto.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

He’s the guy who looks like a geriatric loser whose had several heart attacks. Real tough to talk shit with cops and a stage between you and   Beto.

you're gonna have to be way more fucking specific. lol. was he the guy that jumped up to his walker? jfc this timeline, I swear

The Second Amendment, ratified in 1791, was proposed by James Madison to allow the creation of civilian forces that can counteract a tyrannical federal government. Anti-Federalists believed that a centralized standing military, established by the Constitutional Convention, gave the federal government too much power and potential for violent oppression.

Gun apoligists need to read the 2nd amendment.  Our founding fathers didnt intend for assault rifles to be used on children.  Sensible reforms are needed.  Mental health is a pandemic and gun rights need to be brought to current day realities.  We need to ban assault rifles, mandatory background checks, licensed to carry and cut out added that any health professional can call for a hearing to revoke said privaleges to carry.

• Hook 'Em 6

47 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The death of 10 Black people going grocery shopping in Buffalo didn't keep him up at night.  Neither did 23 at a Wal-Mart in El Paso, or 10 at Santa Fe High School, and I could go on for pages.  

I certainly don't wish this on anyone.  But I'm not sure why Republicans get to gleefully wish for lib tears and support policies whose entire point is cruelty, and then ask for sympathy when the cruelty they cheered on hurts them.

He was fine with these deaths when it was someone else's child being murdered.

He didn't ask for sympathy. I just don't think that diverting from the road to justice and good policy to dabble in ineffectual cruelty because of our feels is appropriate.

I may not believe in Christian dogma these days, but I still consider myself an Episcopalian because of the positive values instilled in me by growing up in that church. If Jesus exists, he is grieving with this man and hoping for better from him.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

The Second Amendment, ratified in 1791, was proposed by James Madison to allow the creation of civilian forces that can counteract a tyrannical federal government. Anti-Federalists believed that a centralized standing military, established by the Constitutional Convention, gave the federal government too much power and potential for violent oppression.

Gun apoligists need to read the 2nd amendment.  Our founding fathers didnt intend for assault rifles to be used on children.  Sensible reforms are needed.  Mental health is a pandemic and gun rights need to be brought to current day realities.  We need to ban assault rifles, mandatory background checks, licensed to carry and cut out added that any health professional can call for a hearing to revoke said privaleges to carry.

The right and its judges interpret 2A like ISIS interprets the Koran. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One of the major flaws in arming teachers or even armed guards, is that even our cops haven't been properly trained or they just unable to extract a gunman from a small town elementary school. It's hard to think that teachers will be better trained.

I could understand cops not initially storming a classroom if a gunman is in there. After all, maybe just maybe it's a hostage situation and barging in could lead to deaths. However I recall an earlier school shooting that law enforcement did charge in when they heard the first shots.

As tough as it may sound, Uvalde PD seems to have sacrificed one classroom to extract the other students and/or wait for the BP tactical team. I hope I'm wrong but I bet the initial responders are not going to come out of this in a good light.

Absolutely true that arming teachers is fucking insane.  Cops shoot bad people all the time and they routinely miss.  It is a key part of the job they train for all the time and they screw it up because adrenalin and tunnel vision are real things.  Educators train to be part time marksmen is fucking stupid and anyone suggesting it is revealing their own stupidity, ignorance of shooting and at the same time expressing a lack of value for the life of the kids and other educators they are putting in danger.  It's more distraction from the things that will actually solve the problem but we are too weak to address.

As to the cops waiting an hour, I'd wait until we have more facts.  My guess is those poor kids died within seconds of that madman entering the classroom.  It's doubtful to me the cops could've done anything but try and empty the other classrooms as quickly as possible.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Dude, this was a statistical anomaly. These kids were more likely to die by choking on an M&M than they were getting gunned down at their school. It's all wasted time and effort to try to prevent these extremely rare occurrences from happening in the future.

-Sack

No, Johnny Sack would tell you the real problem is that schools are run by a bunch of lib teachers and notice how the work place of libs keeps getting shot up?  What is wrong with libs?  

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The right and its judges interpret 2A like ISIS interprets the Koran. 

Has the 2nd A been challenged in court? If you read the 2A , seems like it could be argued that it is not a right to carry unless you can prove you are going to use for anti-tyrannical govt needs.  On some level I would think a law suit against gun manufacturer, the shooter, his family, estate etc.. would have merit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

He didn't ask for sympathy. I just don't think that diverting from the road to justice and good policy to dabble in ineffectual cruelty because of our feels is appropriate.

I may not believe in Christian dogma these days, but I still consider myself an Episcopalian because of the positive values instilled in me by growing up in that church. If Jesus exists, he is grieving with this man and hoping for better from him.

Being vicious and cruel to American right wingers isn't "ineffectual cruelty."  Rather, it is speaking to them in the only language they understand and value: pain.  They will never, ever, ever have empathy for another human in pain.  The ONLY way they will understand the pain that their choices cause is to have it visited on them.  They have made that abundantly clear.  We should listen to them.

And if there's a Jesus, he tapped out long ago.  He learned from Pontius Pilate, and he fucking washed his hands of us.  Which is the right thing to do.  We're on our own, and we're getting all the pain and heartache we deserve.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Absolutely true that arming teachers is fucking insane.  Cops shoot bad people all the time and they routinely miss.  It is a key part of the job they train for all the time and they screw it up because adrenalin and tunnel vision are real things.  Educators train to be part time marksmen is fucking stupid and anyone suggesting it is revealing their own stupidity, ignorance of shooting and at the same time expressing a lack of value for the life of the kids and other educators they are putting in danger.  It's more distraction from the things that will actually solve the problem but we are too weak to address.

As to the cops waiting an hour, I'd wait until we have more facts.  My guess is those poor kids died within seconds of that madman entering the classroom.  It's doubtful to me the cops could've done anything but try and empty the other classrooms as quickly as possible.  

Many of them are also deeply enamored with gun violence.  They think it’s cool and want to have a society with ample socially acceptable ways to engage in it, both in fantasy and real life. This is what a lot of “good guy with a gun” boils down to. 

• Hook 'Em 4

If it is true that there were armed officers on the scene that did not make immediate entry then it is fucking criminal. The FIRST rule in an active shooter event is to IMMEDIATELY make your way to the sound of the gunfire. This is the Columbine lesson.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

uh, no, it's not. one preceded the other. one is pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the other. to defend the actions of those on stage over the one man standing up to them makes you complicit in these and any future murders. own it.

Might want to spend a little more time reading other people's posts completely and less time "drive by posting"... just saying

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

While South Austin says so much more eloquently and kindly below than I will here......FUCK THAT SHIT.  Most of us have spent the last several decades fighting these horrific issues under Marquess of Queensberry rules while our opposition follows......literally no rules.  They are in the ring swinging nail-studded baseball bats, knives, and shooting at the rest of us with ARs and an endless supply of those weapons supplied by the NRA.  Continuing to follow norms and decency against this opponent is a suicide pact.

The hideous, awful truth, that NONE of us want to be true, but we'd be lying if we argued it was NOT true, is that the only way to defeat monsters doing monstrous things is to become a monster yourself.  Ask an American GI or bomber pilot in WWII what it took to defeat the evil they faced.  It took inhuman, horrific shit.  Nietzche's warning about not becoming what you fight sounds good, it's super-trite....but it's also not reality.  "Attack on Titan" stated the real truth: "To defeat a monster, you must be willing to throw aside your humanity and all that makes you human."

Enough.  At long last, enough.  Stop with the fucking rules, norms, decency, and decorum.  Treat them as ruthlessly and with as little empathy as they treat the rest of us.  They only speak the language of pain -- time to study up and speak in terms they understand, then.

Tell me why that's necessary against victims like this. Against McConnell, MTG, Abbot, your local DA, or school board member? Sure, I get it. Hell, I applaud it. No rules, just win. I know my posts don't register much, but I've already weighed in on the approach Dems need to take. But going after this poor guy whose life has been turned upside down? And before we even know how he'll react?

That isn't cruelty with purpose, it's just sating the lust for revenge.

Tell me how this kind of cruelty changes minds. Tell me how it results in electoral or legislative victory.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

If it is true that there were armed officers on the scene that did not make immediate entry then it is fucking criminal. The FIRST rule in an active shooter event is to IMMEDIATELY make your way to the sound of the gunfire. This is the Columbine lesson.

cops like to swarm on sleeping or unarmed people.  

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Beto's outburst was nothing more than political grandstanding at probably the wrong place and the wrong time.

That said.... I think we are past anything being the wrong place or wrong time for gun control. Hot wheels up there pretending he gives a shit is an insult to anyone and everyone. Whatever needs to happen for serious gun control dialog and action to happen, Abbott has done the exact opposite. He can't have it both ways. Not here, not now.

54 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yes. Both can and are certainly true here.

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Might want to spend a little more time reading other people's posts completely and less time "drive by posting"... just saying

Might wanna kiss my whole ass. You started out shaming Beto, then did the typical apologists' "but but but" and then doubled down on your bullshit with the second post. I read what you wrote perfectly fine. I also see you defending the abuser here. Sorry you don't see it.

It ain't just me

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Tell me how this kind of cruelty changes minds. Tell me how it results in electoral or legislative victory.

We only win if we break the MAGAs.  We cannot break them with logic.  We cannot break them by appealing to empathy.  We can only break them with the only currency they respect: pain.

What I just wrote is as horrific as it seems.  How we fucking got here, I truly don't know.  But here we are.  You will never, ever, ever change a MAGA mind with facts, logic, or an appeal to decency or humanity.  In fact, all of those things will only further turn them against you, and signals to them that you are a weak libtard candyass and they oughta go at you extra hard.  It's fucking sick and hideous, but also absolutely true.

You don't want it to be true.  I get that. I appreciate it.  I don't want it to be true, either.  But I'm a realist, and I cannot ignore the mountain of evidence -- a good bit of that mountain being made up of broken and shattered bodies from Uvalde, Buffalo, El Paso, Parkland, Pittsburgh, etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Our society does not function on humanity, decency, or empathy.  It traffics exclusively in pain.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m a Republican that’s not a gun nut, so I’m not on the same page as many of my counterparts. Sure I have shotguns because I enjoy shooting skeet/trap, but I’m fine with banning AR’s quite honestly. 

You support the murder of children with your votes

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I try not to be ageist, but it's pretty hard when old fucking white men are doing everything in their power to make this country worse than they received it. assholes

After dodging the draft and getting practically free college thanks to state subsidies and well here I’ll George finish off my rant 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

My man, the police literally do not owe a specific duty to provide police services. They get all of the perks of power abuse, sexual assault, discrimination, practical immunity from liability, etc., but have fuck all obligation to actually apprehend anyone. It's abhorrent but not criminal at all. Hell, it's a good gig if you can get it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread