Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

On 5/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, Homercles said:

NowThis will forever be a meme in surly lore but I think that dude was smarter than most…he made a colossal mistake but instantly folded his losing hand and noped out immediately with his bighugecocks, never to return.  

I admire your persistence, if nothing else. 

*besthugecocks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Excellent question. Glad you asked.
Firearm bought at his request…..in my name.
Ask me how much access he has to it (and any of our guns). I’ll save you the time: ZERO access except when accompanied by me. It’s in a gun safe. I have the only key.
My children have NEVER had access to a single one, not even a .22, without being WITH ME. Even now, when they are 21 and 19.
So, summary: at 19 and 21, access to firearms without being under my immediate supervision is ZERO.

Appreciate you answering candidly. I understand you don’t find that particular rifle in the same bucket as an AR, but they are first cousins, at worst. 

When do you think your son will be old enough to pass it along, or put in his name? Scratch that, too personal. What age are you thinking if you could rewrite the laws tomorrow?  

I hope you understand I’m not picking. You participate in many of the same threads as I do, I’ve offered to purchase local ammo for you when your area was short.  I also have a daughter that completes 4th grade tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

10 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Counterpoint:  Facebook users who live within 70 miles of Uvalde.  Passive faith is their answer to mass school shootings.  Anger and action are reserved for Beto.

8A45A998-90BC-48C5-9D0F-B1E624D05E65.jpeg

BDD7257D-6330-4728-B655-922F865E4F97.jpeg

2DDC9743-50DD-47F9-AD38-5001C703AFCB.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Counterpoint:  Facebook users who live within 70 miles of Uvalde.  Passive faith is their answer to mass school shootings.  Anger and action are reserved for Beto.

8A45A998-90BC-48C5-9D0F-B1E624D05E65.jpeg

I thought God gave us free will? Or is it part of His unknowable plan? Why does He allow Satan to influence us at all in the first place?

960769040_falsesherpherd.png.6ea53da5c9d946dab8c747dfc3b05430.png

• Hook 'Em 1

We have lost our way as a society. We would all be better of getting away from social media and the entertainment industry. Get out in nature, meet people, learn to be kind to one another again. COVID didn't help locking us up, limiting our interaction to behind a computer screen and keyboard. I'm disappointed in some comments that appear to call for violence against Republicans. Something like this should be bringing us together, not tearing us apart. People making accusations that this is what Republicans want is an insane statement. I am a registered republican as his the majority of my family and friends and I know of no one that thinks that way. It's sick. The individual who carried out this attack was a animal and ultimately got what he deserved. I know you are pissed, I'm pissed. It sucks. I know a lot of people in here don't like me or my opinion but these are genuine thoughts, Neg me if you want, I'm sure some will but I genuinely care for all human life. We need to find a practical solution to thee problem. Blaming the other side doesn't give the country any traction on resolving the issue.

• Fuck You 13

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

We have lost our way as a society. We would all be better of getting away from social media and the entertainment industry. Get out in nature, meet people, learn to be kind to one another again. COVID didn't help locking us up, limiting our interaction to behind a computer screen and keyboard. I'm disappointed in some comments that appear to call for violence against Republicans. Something like this should be bringing us together, not tearing us apart. People making accusations that this is what Republicans want is an insane statement. I am a registered republican as his the majority of my family and friends and I know of no one that thinks that way. It's sick. The individual who carried out this attack was a animal and ultimately got what he deserved. I know you are pissed, I'm pissed. It sucks. I know a lot of people in here don't like me or my opinion but these are genuine thoughts, Neg me if you want, I'm sure some will but I genuinely care for all human life. We need to find a practical solution to thee problem. Blaming the other side doesn't give the country any traction on resolving the issue.

So what are some practical solutions you would support?

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You repeatedly vote for people who guarantee this outcome. You don’t get to disclaim your responsibility and collaboration. Elections have consequences. There are 21 consequences on slabs in Uvalde right now.
You don’t give a fuck. If you did, you would actually change your actions. You won’t.

The persons I voted for didn't win in Texas, but did in DC (this go around). I can agree they haven't actually accomplished anything to help. 

What actions I am supposed to change?   Feel free to continue to belittle, bully and talk down, but please at least tell me what to change?

26 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I'm not a proud television owner. 

Being a gun owner is part of their identify. It makes them feel good about themselves. They don’t need a gun for protection, or to stop tyranny. They want a gun because it makes them feel powerful. And that feeling is more important than your child’s life. This is all it boils down to. If you ask them enough, eventually they will admit it. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/16/texas-constitutional-carry-greg-abbott/

Texans can carry handguns without a license or training starting Sept. 1, after Gov. Greg Abbott signs permitless carry bill into law

Hey guys Republicans passed this law because they didn’t want this 

holy fucking gaslight 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Snowflake alert!
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I’m seeing the argument that guns shouldn’t be regulated because motivated people will still find ways to get guns. Would this not be a logical reason to not outlaw abortion? Yet, I think many people who state the former will deny the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Our founding fathers didnt intend for assault rifles to be used on children.

Our founding fathers never knew what assault rifles were. They never imagined them, let alone flamethrowers or RPG’s or tanks or heavy artillery or drones (or Jewish space lasers). They knew, what? Muskets and cannons? They didn’t know about mines. They didn’t know about aircraft even though Donald Trump thinks they secured the airports. They didn’t even know about armor clad ships. Nuclear energy and nuclear weapons hadn’t even been conceived yet.

The notion that the 2nd amendment gives anyone a right to own an assault rifle is total bullshit. It doesn’t give them the right to own an M-16 either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Our founding fathers never knew what assault rifles were. They never imagined them, let alone flamethrowers or RPG’s or tanks or heavy artillery or drones (or Jewish space lasers). They knew, what? Muskets and cannons? They didn’t know about mines. They didn’t know about aircraft even though Donald Trump thinks they secured the airports. They didn’t even know about armor clad ships. Nuclear energy and nuclear weapons hadn’t even been conceived yet.

The notion that the 2nd amendment gives anyone a right to own an assault rifle is total bullshit. It doesn’t give them the right to own an M-16 either. 

I assume that you somehow posted this with your quill pen dipped in ink?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What a load of milquetoast, gobbledygook nothingness.

Goddamn aggies and sooners coming in here and being reasonable. I can't imagine what your boards look like based on our DT, but can we send Sack and Immaculate there? I'm sure they would be happier. And while we're at it, can we also send workswithseed to a YouTube page where kids unbox toys or something of equivalent simplicity? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Republicans are despicable on this issue but so are almost all politicians.  Security in schools should be started yesterday.  TSA was created quickly with how many billions for a budget?  This country can mobilize if it fucking feels like it.  We choose to sit on our ass, so I get your anger but it should be directed at everyone IMO.

Security......what does that look like?  Arming teachers.....fuck no.  Are we covering public and private schools with this funding?  I say yes, these are our children damnit.  Trained, armed security I'm good with.  It doesn't have to be GI Joe at every door, hell you wouldn't even need to know the guy asking questions and buzzing people through locked doors was carrying.  Give the schools the protections they need.....capable doors, cameras, trained personnel vetting entry. 

There are over 130,000 K thru 12 school in this country. Good security personnel will run upwards of 100k per person. How many do you need per school?  The cost of training, arming, equipping, plus the usual government bloat... you're talking about hiring a literal army here.  Plus as we saw at Parkland and Uvalde, the armed personnel on scene aren't necessarily inclined to die for the kids so...

3 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I know this is off topic but if these fucking cowards are armed and afraid to take on a shooter in a fucking elementary school they shouldn't have fucking guns to begin with. If they're just going to show up and wait for SWAT then let SWAT be the only fucking armed officers out there give other officers else non-lethal weapons tasers mace that's fucking it.

That would also have the intended benefit of having law enforcement actually support gun restrictions.

Same thing occurred to me a few hours after posting. Are we just arming these guys to execute unarmed suspects?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Appreciate you answering candidly. I understand you don’t find that particular rifle in the same bucket as an AR, but they are first cousins, at worst. 

When do you think your son will be old enough to pass it along, or put in his name? Scratch that, too personal. What age are you thinking if you could rewrite the laws tomorrow?  

I hope you understand I’m not picking. You participate in many of the same threads as I do, I’ve offered to purchase local ammo for you when your area was short.  I also have a daughter that completes 4th grade tomorrow. 

Male frontal cortex reaches full development around 25 or 26 yo. That’s the age when biochemically you can expect a reasonable amount of impulse control in a majority of individuals

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Same thing occurred to me a few hours after posting. Are we just arming these guys to execute unarmed suspects?

They were either were grossly untrained or intentionally not doing their job. I’m an old, retired teacher and I know it’s the job of LEO to engage the shooter. When the shooter encounters resistance, he is likely to surrender or take his own life.

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

There are over 130,000 K thru 12 school in this country. Good security personnel will run upwards of 100k per person. How many do you need per school?  The cost of training, arming, equipping, plus the usual government bloat... you're talking about hiring a literal army here.  Plus as we saw at Parkland and Uvalde, the armed personnel on scene aren't necessarily inclined to die for the kids so...

Piggy backing off other ideas nationally and what happens at my kids school, one entry point will help a great deal.  Outer doors locked, one entry point monitored by personnel.  At my kids school you can enter the main door where you stand in a small lobby to speak with the person behind glass in the office but never have access to the school.  I'm on camera, I have to answer several questions and they see me every fucking day.  I'm never allowed in, they bring the kids out.  If you want to arm that person screening entry, that's an option.  Nothing will ever be 100% but we have to stop arguing in terms of black and white.  The gun restrictions will continued to be argued for years, you can't take away what already exists.  We can start protecting our kids immediately.

13 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Male frontal cortex reaches full development around 25 or 26 yo. That’s the age when biochemically you can expect a reasonable amount of impulse control in a majority of individuals

can't rent a car but can buy an AR

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Piggy backing off other ideas nationally and what happens at my kids school, one entry point will help a great deal.  Outer doors locked, one entry point monitored by personnel.  At my kids school you can enter the main door where you stand in a small lobby to speak with the person behind glass in the office but never have access to the school.  I'm on camera, I have to answer several questions and they see me every fucking day.  I'm never allowed in, they bring the kids out.  If you want to arm that person screening entry, that's an option.  Nothing will ever be 100% but we have to stop arguing in terms of black and white.  The gun restrictions will continued to be argued for years, you can't take away what already exists.  We can start protecting our kids immediately.

Glass that can easily be broken with a single gunshot……

give me a fucking break….

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I think we need smarter ideas here or did you skip over that part?

Like banning assault rifles and enforcing ammunition limits so that one shooter can't have a magazine with 50+ bullets? That makes a helluva lot more sense than turning schools into fortresses.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Sweet traffic flow for schools with several hundreds or thousands of students,  brah.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

les-grossman-fuck-your-own-face.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Still not seeing any right wingers explaining how they continue to vote for the guns over kids.  Poe stuck his head up, but never came back.  Y'all talk a big game, but action, not so much.  Prove that you want to make a change.  Failed policy is failed policy.  Just like the war on drugs, it never worked and never will work.  Yet we continue to spend billions of dollars on it and destroy families over failed policy...further destabilizing our country.  This is similar.  in 2022, guns are the leading cause of death of children.  What we are doing is NOT FUCKING WORKING.  Time to try something else.  But you right wing locos refuse to put into action your bullshit talk.  Praying this away will not work.  But guess what, you will vote for Cruz and Abbott again.  Fucking cowards.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread