Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

5 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

And you know the Rs wouldn't give "inner city" schools the funding to build fortresses anyway.

It’s important not to overthink this.  The people talking about hard and soft targets are just repeating mall ninja gobbledygook. It sounds badass to them, but gun control doesn’t sound badass. That’s it, that’s the real reason they’re talking about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, softlynow said:

He didn't ask for sympathy. I just don't think that diverting from the road to justice and good policy to dabble in ineffectual cruelty because of our feels is appropriate.

I may not believe in Christian dogma these days, but I still consider myself an Episcopalian because of the positive values instilled in me by growing up in that church. If Jesus exists, he is grieving with this man and hoping for better from him.

This. It's more about us than him. I still have my humanity intact and can't hate on a man that just lost his child in an unspeakable manner.

Funny enough my family is Episcopalian as well, my uncle is actually a priest (retired). I am not a follower myself though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He didn't ask for sympathy. I just don't think that diverting from the road to justice and good policy to dabble in ineffectual cruelty because of our feels is appropriate.
I may not believe in Christian dogma these days, but I still consider myself an Episcopalian because of the positive values instilled in me by growing up in that church. If Jesus exists, he is grieving with this man and hoping for better from him.

Didn’t ask for sympathy? Maybe.

But he posted this picture EIGHTEEN HOURS AGO. WEARING THAT SHIRT. WITH A BROKEN HEART EMOJI. LITERALLY WITHIN HOURS OF HIS DAUGHTER GETTING SLAUGHTERED AT FUCKING SCHOOL.

5350745c2018a17fd128ef4f4e16e5d8.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/alfred.garzaiii
  • Hook 'Em 1

info coming out that the shooter was wearing a tactical vest, but it had no armor in it. pussy-ass cops left it up to the teachers and students rather than try to help. protect and serve my fucking ass. each one of them belongs in prison with the grisly crime scene photos plastered to the walls and they cannot take them down. ever. cowards!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

no one quoted me with text from this article so for the benefit of the magats, fascists and ditchpigs out there, fuck you and the horse you rode in on

+++++++++++

The GOP's mental health hypocrisy Republicans are dousing the forest with gasoline while giving a lecture on fire safety

By David Masciotra Published February 24, 2018

The amoral reaction to the massacre of innocent Americans is now routine to the point of banality on Fox News, in the Trump administration or any other familiar quarter of right wing opinion: Offer a platitude of condolence, warn about the dangers of punishing law abiding gun owners and mumble something incoherent about mental illness. It is the last element that is indicative of the extent to which most elected Republican politicians and pundits have become hypocritical, abusive to the welfare of the American people and indifferent to mass scale misery.

Paul Ryan identified mental illness as a “critical ingredient” in school shootings, while Donald Trump has vaguely declared that America must “do more” to address mental health. If only the president of the United States and the speaker of the house were in the position to have any influence.

Republicans are correct that there is a mental health care crisis in America, but it is one that they helped to create, continue to aggravate and insist, through their actual policies — not their rhetoric — on doing absolutely nothing to address.

Ron Powers, a journalist and cultural critic whose son died by suicide after suffering from schizophrenia for several years, wrote an essential and unforgettable book documenting and describing what he calls “the chaos and heartbreak of mental illness in America.” His title derives from an anecdote involving current governor of Wisconsin, Scott Walker. When Walker was beginning his gubernatorial campaign, a scandal broke involving the vicious mistreatment of the mentally ill in Milwaukee County hospitals while Walker was Milwaukee County Executive. A leaked email revealed that his campaign manager eased his worries with words that now serve as the title of Powers’ book: “No one cares about crazy people.”

America suffers for its indifference. The story of how the situation has gotten worse, rather than better, over the past 60 years causes a question mark to shadow all of our notions of progress.

Conservative folk hero Ronald Reagan completed the deinstitutionalization of California's state mental health residents in 1967, causing an explosion of homelessness in his state and opening a fatal gap in mental health services for those too poor or isolated to obtain treatment, medicine, therapy and supervision through private means. Because of California’s size and Reagan’s popularity, the destructive move exerted an influence on many smaller states. It was not too long until the catastrophe of untreated mental illness spread around the country.

Nothing if not consistent in his cruelty, once elected President, Reagan quickly repealed President Jimmy Carter’s Mental Health Systems Act. In one of his last decisions as President, Carter increased funding for federal mental health facilities and authorized the creation of a grant system to offer opportunities for additional subsidy. Reagan, in one of his first moves, revealing a set of dangerous priorities, revoked funding. Many federal mental health hospitals, as a result, shut their doors.

President Clinton, in 1996, signed into law the Mental Health Parity Act, prohibiting insurers from enforcing a lower limit on mental health coverage than physical, but most of the people who were in federal or state hospitals were too poor to have insurance, and by then, the “Reagan revolution” had already destroyed the lives of many, with damage visible at what are now three populous institutions for the mentally ill: streets, prisons and cemeteries.

With the Affordable Care Act, President Obama improved access to mental health services, and in separate measures, he provided larger funding for research into the causes of mental illness than any of his predecessors, but it is inarguable that the Democratic approach is inadequate. Even so, the Republicans committed themselves with maniacal gusto to the repeal of Obamacare, and in both state capitals and the federal government, continually argue for the reduction, if not outright elimination, of social services for the mentally ill and disabled.

One in six American adults have a mental health condition, suicide is on the rise, teen depression has steadily increased over the past five years, one in nine Americans regularly take an anti-depressant, and according to every study, demand for mental health services vastly outweighs the supply. Two politically divergent approaches exist to daily disaster prevention and management in the United States: The Democrats soften the edges of an incompetent, cruel and negligent system, periodically making marginal improvements. Republicans fight to obliterate the last remaining vestiges of civilization, preventing people whose minds are waging a war against them from becoming more ill, more isolated, suicidal, even homicidal — or some or all of the above.

Then, in the equivalent of honking their horns as they drive by a moment of silence at a funeral service, Republicans use mental illness to deflect attention away from America’s gun problem.

If officials and spokespeople for the Republican Party actually made a sweeping proposal to fully fund, strengthen and broaden the country’s mental health services, one could believe they were wrong to adopt the mindless NRA position on firearm regulation but that they were, at least, attempting to serve the public interest by providing desperately necessary assistance for millions of sick people.

Far from altruistic and responsible, Republicans are dousing the forest with gasoline while giving a lecture on fire safety. Their budget reduces funding for Medicaid, which will make mental health services even harder to acquire for countless people, and Trump’s latest health care proposals allows for insurance companies to offer plans that do not cover mental health.

After a handful of school shootings in Europe, countries within the EU dramatically increased their funding for in-school psychologists. Many American schools do not even have a psychologist or social worker on campus, and those that do, often beleaguer their solitary mental health worker with an overwhelming case load. Has one Republican suggested greater funds for school psychologists and social workers? How long before they fall back into their familiar and boring script of thrashing public schools and offering dubious charter schools as a model for the future?

The best that Republicans are seemingly capable of is to propose arming a handful of teachers in every school. This is a perfectly stupid plan in a nation with a mental crisis. So, why stop at the teachers? Maybe American schools are not truly safe until all of the students are armed, even those at the elementary level.

Republicans are in the best position, and possess the necessary power, to achieve the alignment of their words with their actions. If they continue to display nothing more than cold blooded cynicism, then the next time bullets fly down school hallways, by the indictment of their own analysis, they should find the nearest mirror when seeking someone besides the actual shooter to blame.

+++

tl/dr: fuck the ditch pigs, fascists and magats, they created this fucked up society in the name of waging war on "others" and when they ran out of conventional enemies turned inwards to attack our own society with their nimby hate-engine pain-infliction-based world view.  fuck 'em all.  #teamontheledge

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We only win if we break the MAGAs.  We cannot break them with logic.  We cannot break them by appealing to empathy.  We can only break them with the only currency they respect: pain.

Link? You're hoping they even respect that. I don't think they can actually be reached. At all.

What I just wrote is as horrific as it seems.  How we fucking got here, I truly don't know.  But here we are.  You will never, ever, ever change a MAGA mind with facts, logic, or an appeal to decency or humanity.  In fact, all of those things will only further turn them against you, and signals to them that you are a weak libtard candyass and they oughta go at you extra hard.  It's fucking sick and hideous, but also absolutely true.

Correct. Elections these days are turnout battles. So tell me how cruelty to this grieving father gets more non-MAGATs to the polls?

You don't want it to be true.  I get that. I appreciate it.  I don't want it to be true, either.  But I'm a realist, and I cannot ignore the mountain of evidence -- a good bit of that mountain being made up of broken and shattered bodies from Uvalde, Buffalo, El Paso, Parkland, Pittsburgh, etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Our society does not function on humanity, decency, or empathy.  It traffics exclusively in pain.

Whether I want it to be true or not is irrelevant. I never denied it was true. You're preaching to the choir (I'm actually about to head off to choir practice). Hell, I'm silently sipping my vodka on the ledge with you. But I stand by everything I've said to this point.

I'll say it again another way.

In "Doubt," Meryl Streep's character says you have to take a step away from God to address wrongdoing. I think this is right. Step away from god, become the monster, to WIN at the politics.

But going after this father isn't stepping into shadow to win. That rationalization is just an excuse to savage this father because it feels good to do so.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

silicon valley this guy fucks GIF by Team Coco

They just wanted to make it home safe to their families.

Although I believe you are being facetious, I think to a degree this is fair.  Cops aren't soldiers who know they will be court martialed if they go cower in a fucking car in the face of the enemy.  These people were cowards but how would anyone have even known before they were placed in that situation and forced to react?

But of course the larger truth is that they shouldn't be permitted or equipped to exercise a comparable degree of violence with the same lack of accountability as soldiers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and in that case, certainly do not deserve our worship

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

then he and his dad really despise their creation.

and they suck at their job.

RIP Quackenbush's

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s important not to overthink this.  The people talking about hard and soft targets are just repeating mall ninja gobbledygook. It sounds badass to them, but gun control doesn’t sound badass. That’s it, that’s the real reason they’re talking about it. 

That’s true, but they’re also generally ideologically inclined to support making America a police state for everyone but them so it aligns nicely with their fascist dispositions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, faps said:

Is #uvaldestrong trending yet or do we have to wait a few days first? I think uplifting prayers, some hashtags, maybe a colored ribbon is all that will be done about this.

maybe add in a moment of silence at a few games and that should just about do it. with a force field that strong there should never be another unwarranted death. we did it!

• Rage+1 2

Big shoutout to clapclapclap for finding a way to be the victim of the mass shooting

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Yeah, it doesn't matter now that Daily Texan has been revamped into Wellstone Memorial 2.0 infinite.  

Notice that in the lass 24 hours imma has threatened to ban 2 of the very few posters who bother to regularly debate and confront the CR echo chamber?  Never let a crisis go to waste mode, I guess.

I gave IV some rep to try and help him last longer.  I see that Penelope has been serial negging a lot of his posts.  That was supposedly against the rules, but as usual, Democrats are often exempt.  Because, ya know, its another 'This issue is really too important."

Permaban for taking one of CR's favorite techniques and using it against the CR narrative.

That's some really next-level shitbaggery, even for surly. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

In "Doubt," Meryl Streep's character says you have to take a step away from God to address wrongdoing. I think this is right. Step away from god, become the monster, to WIN at the politics.

But going after this father isn't stepping into shadow to win. That rationalization is just an excuse to savage this father because it feels good to do so.

Don't get me wrong....he's pretty far down my list of people who need to be savaged.

But he's on it.  They all are.  All of them.  Every.  Single.   Complicit.  One of them.

This is what we have to understand.  McConnell and Abbott are monsters.  But those who do everything they can to ensure they are in power, remain in power, and wield absolute power, are monsters too.  All of them.

The cops can’t get their story straight. I’m starting to suspect that we’re eventually going to find out that the shooter hadn’t killed anyone in the classroom yet when they trapped him in there with his victims, and they stood by and watched while he murdered all of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

except it appears more people are standing up to them. maybe it's the same. I don't know.

Did you see Greg Abbott’s presser today? How many times have we seen the exact same thing without anything getting done? The next mass shooting is just around the corner and the Republicans will go through the same act again. Thoughts and prayers. Now is not the time to talk about gun control. The solution is more guns. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

17 hours ago, Hermanator said:

People responding to this with voting are trying to say the right thing but unfortunately it hasn't ever mattered and won't matter now. Carlin was right on the money

"Elections and politicians are in place in order to give Americans the ILLUSION that they have freedom of choice. You don't really have choice in this country."

"Have you ever noticed that the only metaphor we have in our public discourse for solving problems is to declare war on it? We have the war on crime, the war on cancer, the war on drugs. But did you ever notice that we have no war on homelessness? You know why?

Because there's no money in that problem. No money to be made off of the homeless. If you can find a solution to homelessness where the corporations and politicians can make a few million dollars each, you will see the streets of America begin to clear up pretty damn quick!"

America's soul was sold by it's leadership for wealth and power a long time ago. It's something we as Americans can either come to grips with or live in denial over but it's reality. 

Have we considered drone striking the mass shootings?  Maybe there is an angle there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did you see Greg Abbott’s presser today? How many times have we seen the exact same thing without anything getting done? The next mass shooting is just around the corner and the Republicans will go through the same act again. Thoughts and prayers. Now is not the time to talk about gun control. The solution is more guns. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

yes, I know R's aren't doing a fucking thing different. I'm talking about everyone else. From my vantage point it seems like those thwarting gun legislation are taking a lot more heat than normal.

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The cops can’t get their story straight. I’m starting to suspect that we’re eventually going to find out that the shooter hadn’t killed anyone in the classroom yet when they trapped him in there with his victims, and they stood by and watched while he murdered all of them.

The police simply can't be relied on for this function.  Even the tactical unit they brought in from the border patrol couldn't get through an interior door that was blocked by a cinderblock.  A massive failure by every agency involved.

22 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I can neither confirm nor deny that quote. I only saw the movie once. But Meryl Streep’s character was the antagonist. She was the villain. Philip Seymour Hoffman was the good guy wrongfully accused by Streep’s character. They were both brilliant in their roles but I wouldn’t quote Streep’s bitch character to justify anything in any way. Other than the last line where she said, “I have so much doubt!”

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yes, I know R's aren't doing a fucking thing different. I'm talking about everyone else. From my vantage point it seems like those thwarting gun legislation are taking a lot more heat than normal.

Give it a day or two. It’ll go away. 

Although I believe you are being facetious, I think to a degree this is fair.  Cops aren't soldiers who know they will be court martialed if they go cower in a fucking car in the face of the enemy.  These people were cowards but how would anyone have even known before they were placed in that situation and forced to react?
But of course the larger truth is that they shouldn't be permitted or equipped to exercise a comparable degree of violence with the same lack of accountability as soldiers.

Soldiers are held accountable from what my non-military ass can tell. No qualified immunity, and the next branch doesn’t hire them after they are run out. But cops might.

Oh, and for all the talk about "we should prayer," and "Jesus is the answer"......fucking shit.  Make no mistake, we DEFINITELY have a God and a Jesus we worship in America.
Here it is:

05cbd44ed455222ff19a573472f531ad.jpg

We have chosen our god.  And we regularly make blood sacrifices to it.  So it is written, so it is done.  Amen.  Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

Edited by Brisketexan

One of the major flaws in arming teachers or even armed guards, is that even our cops haven't been properly trained or they just unable to extract a gunman from a small town elementary school. It's hard to think that teachers will be better trained.
I could understand cops not initially storming a classroom if a gunman is in there. After all, maybe just maybe it's a hostage situation and barging in could lead to deaths. However I recall an earlier school shooting that law enforcement did charge in when they heard the first shots.
As tough as it may sound, Uvalde PD seems to have sacrificed one classroom to extract the other students and/or wait for the BP tactical team. I hope I'm wrong but I bet the initial responders are not going to come out of this in a good light.
They don't trust my training to teach about slavery, but they'll trust me with a gun?
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
One of the major flaws in arming teachers or even armed guards, is that even our cops haven't been properly trained or they just unable to extract a gunman from a small town elementary school. It's hard to think that teachers will be better trained.
I could understand cops not initially storming a classroom if a gunman is in there. After all, maybe just maybe it's a hostage situation and barging in could lead to deaths. However I recall an earlier school shooting that law enforcement did charge in when they heard the first shots.
As tough as it may sound, Uvalde PD seems to have sacrificed one classroom to extract the other students and/or wait for the BP tactical team. I hope I'm wrong but I bet the initial responders are not going to come out of this in a good light.

They don't trust my training to teach about slavery, but they'll trust me with a gun?

Fucking bingo.

Teachers -- "fucking communists indoctrinating our children and grooming them for trans pedo orgies under pizza parlours and teaching them to hate their race by daring to mention that slavery existed.  We cannot trust them with any curriculum elements that might hurt little Johnny White Guy's feelings!"

Also teachers -- "we must arm them and make them green berets to protect our kids!  They can do it!"

Fucking insanity.  Which is our only brand now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking bingo.

Teachers -- "fucking communists indoctrinating our children and grooming them for trans pedo orgies under pizza parlours and teaching them to hate their race by daring to mention that slavery existed.  We cannot trust them with any curriculum elements that might hurt little Johnny White Guy's feelings!"

Also teachers -- "we must arm them and make them green berets to protect our kids!  They can do it!"

Fucking insanity.  Which is our only brand now.

It will inevitably lead to some scared teacher shooting a kid to break up a fist fight, or shooting a kid that looked at him/her menacingly. Then we will need to arm the kids to balance all the teachers having guns. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We only win if we break the MAGAs.  We cannot break them with logic.  We cannot break them by appealing to empathy.  We can only break them with the only currency they respect: pain.

What I just wrote is as horrific as it seems.  How we fucking got here, I truly don't know.  But here we are.  You will never, ever, ever change a MAGA mind with facts, logic, or an appeal to decency or humanity.  In fact, all of those things will only further turn them against you, and signals to them that you are a weak libtard candyass and they oughta go at you extra hard.  It's fucking sick and hideous, but also absolutely true.

You don't want it to be true.  I get that. I appreciate it.  I don't want it to be true, either.  But I'm a realist, and I cannot ignore the mountain of evidence -- a good bit of that mountain being made up of broken and shattered bodies from Uvalde, Buffalo, El Paso, Parkland, Pittsburgh, etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Our society does not function on humanity, decency, or empathy.  It traffics exclusively in pain.

Dude, you’ve lost it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

The “let’s arm!” talk is the stupidest fucking take on planet earth. If arming people was the answer, America would be the safest country to ever exist and we’d have zero crime. 

Hey that building is on fire, maybe if we light the one next to it on fire it’ll put the original fire out!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Dude, you’ve lost it.

Fuck yes I have.

And if you haven't, there's something wrong with you.

Opponents of changing even a single fucking thing are not reasonable, and never have been.  I'm fucking sick and tired of the rest of us playing by rules that they openly shit on as they stack up more broken bloody bodies on the altar of their One True God (in 5.56 caliber).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

An hour. A fucking hour while they waited on a tactical team. 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Um, the GOP leaders of our state praised the courage of these brave men and women. The NYT is clearly lying.

This another manifestation of the sacred rule of officer safety. Piss one off and you're forced into the humiliating process of git on the ground!

If you're black...

If you're armed, they call the paramilitary units in. Fucking LaGrange has a SWAT team.

I know this is off topic but if these fucking cowards are armed and afraid to take on a shooter in a fucking elementary school they shouldn't have fucking guns to begin with. If they're just going to show up and wait for SWAT then let SWAT be the only fucking armed officers out there give other officers else non-lethal weapons tasers mace that's fucking it.

That would also have the intended benefit of having law enforcement actually support gun restrictions.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I know this is off topic but if these fucking cowards are armed and afraid to take on a shooter in a fucking elementary school they shouldn't have fucking guns to begin with. If they're just going to show up and wait for SWAT then let SWAT be the only fucking armed officers out there give other officers else non-lethal weapons tasers mace that's fucking it.

That would also have the intended benefit of having law enforcement actually support gun restrictions.

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

And those cops are also armed with military grade weapons.

• Rage+1 1

Wait so you’re telling the cops were all gigantic pussies that refused to follow the post-Columbine procedures for active shooters? And it looks like they’ve been lying their tits off so far?  Man what an unexpected turn of events. 

I am shocked and uphauled. 

FAC. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They aren’t going to do shit about making schools hard targets, either.  Which one of those fucks is gonna vote for more tax dollars for small Mexican-American towns to fortify schools. Not a got damn one.  “Use CRT curriculum money to fund the security.”

Every solution they suggest is mendacious. 

Repped for using mendacious

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

If it is true that there were armed officers on the scene that did not make immediate entry then it is fucking criminal. The FIRST rule in an active shooter event is to IMMEDIATELY make your way to the sound of the gunfire. This is the Columbine lesson.

When you realize that the entire "good guy with a gun crowd" rests on the dual pillars of 1) talking a good game full  of bravado, but 2) actually being gutless fucking loser cowards, it all makes sense.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But....I mean...it was definitely impolite of him to interrupt.  And isn't that the REAL crime we should be talking about here?  Now is not the time to talk about reasonable firearm regulations to try to prevent 19 children from being turned into shattered, bleeding sacks of perforated flesh and bone. No, what we need to talk about now is how Dems sometimes don't have impeccable manners.  That's the REAL CRIME. 

BETO-INTERRUPTION-GATE!: Stay tuned for a 3-night special Tucker Carlson presentation!

If he had only grabbed Abbott by the pussy, then we could just shrug it off.

I was surprised to learn today that included in the active shooter drills in elementary schools is a ploy that requires designated young people to throw stuff at the shooter to distract him enough so that the other kids may run to the safe room. 

What kind of shit is this?

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread