Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

Have we even seen a gun in three seasons of this show? Wish other producers would take note but not holding my breath

Yeah really no sex either.

About the closest we've seen is Tom and Shiv starting to make out a few times or Roman jerking off, lol. 

And Tom supposedly got a blowjob from that smoking hot model at his bachelor party.  But all we see are her in a dress in one scene and then Tom talking about her spitting his semen back into his mouth.  So yeah, these are strange people.  

Although the dialogue is impossibly sharp for such lukewarm people, it has really stepped it up from being a summer filler years ago to being arguably the best written show on television right now and possibly the last decade.  

For me, the pinnacle was "Mad Men" in terms of writing.  It walked such a brilliant line that had you on a roller coaster for each character where at times you were rooting for them and at times you despised them.  And every one of them got that treatment.  You were either invested or annoyed but always came back for more.  "Succession" is a little different, and a little far behind, in that pretty much every primary and secondary is shit and you hate them but can't look away.  There'll likely be no redemption arc for most of them, and we'll be okayh with that.  Another great sign of writing prowess.  If they stick this landing, this will rightfully end up on the Mount Rushmore of best written dramas on the little screen.  

23 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I agree that I don't think this ends with any of the failsons/daughters as a "winner". What I was getting from this is the reveal is that everybody is terrible and the idea of the bootstrap/social darwin/got there by hard work and talent dream of American capitalism is bullshit. That feels like something Mckay would do. My current gut feeling is that everybody loses and some new or background dipshit is on top of the wheel of fortune.

Bran Stark FTW

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I don’t think the India thing is a smokescreen because Mattson has repeatedly tried to rush the deal to close. 

Yeah and one thing about Succession is that they rarely (if ever) follow and "TV tropes." 

Mattson spreading around disinformation as some sort of 4D chess move would be an obvious "TV trope" move. But he's just as much of a bullshit artist as the three primary siblings. Logan's accurate assessment of his kids not being "serious people" could be applied to Mattson, too. 

That's why I'm still kind of leaning toward the "winner", for lack of a better term, to be Gerri, Frank and Karl. They've been in the trenches for decades. Even when it seems they may be on the outs, they know how to handle themselves and keep going. They ARE the "serious people" in the room (Karl's proclivities for hookers and blow aside)

No, none of them are likely taking the company over, but they are likely the only ones getting what they want at the end of the day (to stay in the game and keep going), which is what makes them the "winners."

None of the three primary siblings are getting what they want at the end of the day. I'd bet the farm on that. Roman has already lost the ability to get what he wants (his Dad's love), which is why he's been slowly melting down over the past few episodes. I expect that will continue and get worse.

The other interesting wild card is Conner. He will probably end up a "winner" too because all he really wants at the end of the day is for Willa to love him. By choosing her over Menken's "deal", he probably assured himself of a "win" there.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah and one thing about Succession is that they rarely (if ever) follow and "TV tropes." 

Mattson spreading around disinformation as some sort of 4D chess move would be an obvious "TV trope" move. But he's just as much of a bullshit artist as the three primary siblings. Logan's accurate assessment of his kids not being "serious people" could be applied to Mattson, too. 

That's why I'm still kind of leaning toward the "winner", for lack of a better term, to be Gerri, Frank and Karl. They've been in the trenches for decades. Even when it seems they may be on the outs, they know how to handle themselves and keep going. They ARE the "serious people" in the room (Karl's proclivities for hookers and blow aside)

No, none of them are likely taking the company over, but they are likely the only ones getting what they want at the end of the day (to stay in the game and keep going), which is what makes them the "winners."

None of the three primary siblings are getting what they want at the end of the day. I'd bet the farm on that. Roman has already lost the ability to get what he wants (his Dad's love), which is why he's been slowly melting down over the past few episodes. I expect that will continue and get worse.

The other interesting wild card is Conner. He will probably end up a "winner" too because all he really wants at the end of the day is for Willa to love him. By choosing her over Menken's "deal", he probably assured himself of a "win" there.

Good take, well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2023 at 10:25 PM, thepop said:

This show is in the S tier of shows it does it purely with dialogue no action, murder, science fiction, etc. Just great writing. As said above best show on television and it’s not close. 

My favorite of this season:

Who wants to smell Greg's finger, huh?  Guess the scent.  Win a buck,

On 5/8/2023 at 7:00 AM, Grimas said:

When I was watching, I kept thinking all the "India news" is a false flag being planted and they swallowed it hook, line and sinker...

Really is kinda stupid to think he keeps that Ebba chick so close knowing she's so discontent and seemingly hating her life... she so easily drops info to enemies, they throw it back to his face all at the same important gathering. 

I can buy that theory

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Not the word I would use. Two awful people being awful to each other. I found it uncomfortable to watch (but I couldn’t look away!).

Yes. Was also a master class in showing how we build narratives about ourselves in our mind and fully believe them, whether or not they are really true and consistent with the choices we’ve made.

For example, Tom’s complaint to Shiv about how she was going to “let him go to jail.” Tom spent that entire season when it looked like he was going to jail moping around it and then being resentful to Shiv because she wasn’t giving him enough sympathy about it.  

But then as Shiv pointed out in the argument, it was HIS idea. He offered himself up to Logan to curry favor but then as time went on he convinced himself that he was the victim and believed that narrative about himself. 

In a similar fashion, Shiv has convinced herself that she is somehow being wronged by the Tom/Greg “Disgusting brother” dynamic… continually making snide comments about him banging models or whatever. Of course, her choice to basically tell Tom she wanted an open marriage on their wedding night set their whole marriage on the trajectory where it ended up.

Edited by oSuJeff97

That was a terrible episode.  Way too much election wonk talk, then Shiv's stammering meltdown when she's (inveitably) found out, to the concern about being wrong making the call (since when did that matter?).  Unfocused, meandering pap.  The opposite of last week's show.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Greg pouring La Croix into that election dude's eyes was goddamn hilarious. 

Loved seeing Shiv's plan unravel because of that stupid fake phone call. It feels like she is going to go scorched earth on the brothers and their shady back room dealings with Mencken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Roman showing he is the most cuthroat, Logan Roy of them all. He was pretty focused on the ends and the end game.

I’ve long thought we were headed towards Kendall Roy King of Ashes, but wondering if instead they have Roman force Ken out with the murder card. Nobody really wins is the only sure bet at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Roman will fail hugely. He always has, always will. 

46 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve long thought we were headed towards Kendall Roy King of Ashes, but wondering if instead they have Roman force Ken out with the murder card. Nobody really wins is the only sure bet at this point.

My bet is Roman being the unlikely heir apparent and winner of the succession of thrones. We see his turn this season, he's firing people, he's getting a taste of pure power, and this week he was the most focused and clear on execution (and correct, in pursuit and to keep power).

The teaser next week shows him breaking out of the shell as the showman and charismatic face.

My bet is Roman is the Michael Corleone of the Roy family and we will see an ending that solidifies Roman's turn to baby Logan and the last episode will leave us with the assurance that the cutthroat empire is in good hands.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

My bet is Roman being the unlikely heir apparent and winner of the succession of thrones. We see his turn this season, he's firing people, he's getting a taste of pure power, and this week he was the most focused and clear on execution (and correct, in pursuit and to keep power).

The teaser next week shows him breaking out of the shell as the showman and charismatic face.

My bet is Roman is the Michael Corleone of the Roy family and we will see an ending that solidifies Roman's turn to baby Logan and the last episode will leave us with the assurance that the cutthroat empire is in good hands.

Actually, they showed him practicing alone in a dressing room in front of a mirror.  I think it's more likely he shits the bed when the bright lights are on him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

This show is about no one changing - I don't see them giving Roman the change arc alone. 

I binged the first 3 seasons, and aside from the Greg and Tom banter, I wasn’t a huge fan of the show. I complained about it somewhere upthread.

I’m now watching this season weekly and enjoying it a lot more. This probably wasn’t the best show for me to binge because watching a rich family treat each other like shit for 1-2 hours a night gets to be a beating. It’s much better for me when it’s only one night a week. I look forward to it now.

I also grow frustrated with shows that tread water for seasons on end, and that’s what the plot felt like with the Logan vs. Kids never ending power struggle. Having this be the last season allows the plot to finally move towards a conclusion, which I appreciate.

I’m in the camp that none of the kids end up winning. I predict Gerri or Frank, or maybe there is a twist where Pierce or another outsider (but not Matsson) ends up with it. It seems like a poetic ending that all the fighting ends up with them all losing what they want the most.

4 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Roman will end up shitting the bed. I think Gerri telling him "I could have got you there" solidified his fate. He has always had moments that made him look like the successor but he waffles at a certain point.

None of the children are serious people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Loved seeing Shiv's plan unravel because of that stupid fake phone call.

Agreed; however, I was disappointed that they included the voicemail message. I'd have preferred Shiv to step out to make the call and come back to the conference room and deftly handle the inquisition. Really sold it.  Otherwise, we knew what was coming as soon as Kendall stepped outside to make the call. 

13 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Roman showing he is the most cuthroat, Logan Roy of them all. He was pretty focused on the ends and the end game.

Roman will rise to the level of his incompetence. That Logan was reaching out to Roman right before the end told me that even Logan saw Roman as the weakest link.

18 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Greg pouring La Croix into that election dude's eyes was goddamn hilarious. 

Loved seeing Shiv's plan unravel because of that stupid fake phone call. It feels like she is going to go scorched earth on the brothers and their shady back room dealings with Mencken.

It’s not even that lemony!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1