Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

18 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

You think the 192 is happening and the deal is closing? Serious question: why?

Wait so now you are adding a condition, that the deal will close? I thought we were only discussing whether the 192 is real. I don't think there's any doubt it's real. Enjoy your hatwich. 

Edited by BHMCruiser

1 minute ago, BHMCruiser said:

Wait so now you are adding a condition, that the deal will close? I thought we were only discussing whether the 192 is real. I don't think there's any doubt it's real. Enjoy your hatwich. 

Okay. Let's see? I don't think it's determined one way or another, right?

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You might be right.  Mattson gives the Roys enough rope to hang themselves.  He might be gambling that the Roman and Kendall with do enough damage to the value that the shareholders will beg him to do the deal at a much lower price per share. 

Yes but also remember that Mattson is a pretty clear parody of Elon Musk.

People who fancy themselves as geniuses are often blindsided when circumstances change and its proven they clearly are not.

So it's very possible Mattson isn't playing the 4D chess that he thinks he is.

my contention was that the deal would never go through, at any price, because i didn't think it would make for a good tv plotline with only a handful of episodes to go.  i never thought the 192 wasn't an actionable offer, but never gave it much thought after that, because of my first sentence.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

People who fancy themselves as geniuses are often blindsided when circumstances change and its proven they clearly are not.

Are we sure of this in the same way that the Glass Onion guy was a pretty clear parody?

On 5/2/2023 at 9:12 AM, HamsterHookah said:

I saw a photo of Jeremy Strong at the Met Gala yesterday-- super jarring to see he is like 100% gray-haired. They must dye his hair daily for the show.

almost all women (and plenty of men) wear wigs in tv shows.  it's much easier for continuity.  consider this season has only covered a week or so, but took months to film.  i have no idea if strong wears a wig, but it's certainly possible.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

almost all women (and plenty of men) wear wigs in tv shows.  it's much easier for continuity.  consider this season has only covered a week or so, but took months to film.  i have no idea if strong wears a wig, but it's certainly possible.

Blow Mind Mind Blown GIF - Blow Mind Mind Blown Explode ...

Wigs have come a long way.

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Mattson is a fucking moron

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah the Mattson is Elon Musk stuff is getting laid on pretty thick. I hope there’s a Musk sending his blood to Grimes story out there. However, the noise canceling head phones story is based on Leo. 

Let’s say the Leo story is remotely true. Can you imagine the things he takes for granted?

3 hours ago, Grimas said:

When I was watching, I kept thinking all the "India news" is a false flag being planted and they swallowed it hook, line and sinker...

If it is, they deserve to go down for being so stupid to not verify

I always feel like any comment is potentially stupid because I know I don't pay the kind of close attention that the show requires, but have we ever even seen good evidence that even Logan has ever been particularly sharp/astute/"the real deal"/etc as opposed to just ruthless and maybe lucky?

I thought the weird blood shit was going to be a lie, I also thought at first that the India shit was going to be some sort of trap, but I think it's fairly clear that Mattson is just another dipshit but with an accent.

ac764fe2-7777-4650-b62b-2ff5a14c120e_tex

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think it's fairly clear that Mattson is just another dipshit but with an accent.

The fact that everything negative about him has come from inside his camp smells like trap to me.  I also find it difficult to believe that the showrunners have spent years showing us how terrible these people are, only for them to win big in the end.  My guess is they play their cards, Mattson is clean and he wins/they lose in the end.

But, I just watch the show because they are horrible people and it's like watching a bejeweled train wreck.  And I only follow this thread because watching people argue about what's real/not in a fictional show is also entertaining.

11 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I also find it difficult to believe that the showrunners have spent years showing us how terrible these people are, only for them to win big in the end.  My guess is they play their cards, Mattson is clean and he wins/they lose in the end.

I agree that I don't think this ends with any of the failsons/daughters as a "winner". What I was getting from this is the reveal is that everybody is terrible and the idea of the bootstrap/social darwin/got there by hard work and talent dream of American capitalism is bullshit. That feels like something Mckay would do. My current gut feeling is that everybody loses and some new or background dipshit is on top of the wheel of fortune.

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I agree that I don't think this ends with any of the failsons/daughters as a "winner". What I was getting from this is the reveal is that everybody is terrible and the idea of the bootstrap/social darwin/got there by hard work and talent dream of American capitalism is bullshit. That feels like something Mckay would do. My current gut feeling is that everybody loses and some new or background dipshit is on top of the wheel of fortune.

Good Morning Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

This guy gets it.

I kept waiting for the entire party to be at the sliding glass door watching the Tom/Shiv meltdown.

I guess they have that Ace Ventura type glass in upscale NY pads.

Ace Ventura Jim Carrey GIF - Ace Ventura Jim Carrey Yelling ...

If the Mattson/India issue doesn't end up being a false flag it will be really disappointing how ham handed it was brought into the show.  

• Haha 1

To what end would the India thing be a false flag?  That’s the only thing I am struggling with.  Not sure how that devalues Waystar.  Perhaps it let’s Mattson pull rug out from under kids.  

Did I miss a comment about Tom getting canned that set him off?  I didn’t recall it but could have missed it.  

Yeah the India leak feels a little too convenient and theatrical. While I don't doubt Ebba hates Mattson, she helped found the company and definitely wants to maximize her bank account. Not sure on the goal of the play, but it feels like a play. 

The Shiv-Tom argument got very dark in a hurry. He can't walk any of that back. That's their relationship, Shiv can say horrible things to Tom, but he always comes back. Tom saying Shiv is unfit to be a mother while she's pregnant was a dagger. 

Shouldn't Connor have more leverage? If his 1% will swing the election, certainly that's worth at least a Cabinet post, right? Look at the current Cabinet. Harris failed DNC nominee. Buttigieg failed DNC nominee. Connor has hands on actual Electoral College votes. 

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

To what end would the India thing be a false flag?  

It gives Kendall and Roman something they think can sink the deal.  When they run with it and it is found to be fake, they've lost leverage.

29 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shouldn't Connor have more leverage? If his 1% will swing the election, certainly that's worth at least a Cabinet post, right? Look at the current Cabinet. Harris failed DNC nominee. Buttigieg failed DNC nominee. Connor has hands on actual Electoral College votes. 

Connor doesn't have EC votes.  He has 1% of polling numbers.  It's election week, which means he's already been primaried and running Ind/Green/Lib at this point (forgive me if that's already been established). He's Howie Hawkins.

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

It gives Kendall and Roman something they think can sink the deal.  When they run with it and it is found to be fake, they've lost leverage.

Connor doesn't have EC votes.  He has 1% of polling numbers.  It's election week, which means he's already been primaried and running Ind/Green/Lib at this point (forgive me if that's already been established). He's Howie Hawkins.

Yeah, but a rumor gets out about India issues, even if false flag and not true, Gojo stock drops.  I get that it will make Ken/Ro look foolish for selling a false narrative, but it also hurts value of Gojo stock presuming people trade on that false info.  That in turn means the 50% of value of acquisition attributed to stock is more shares of Gojo to Waystar stockholders and more dilution to Gojo stockholders.  I also didn't see anyone go to the bathroom at the party so I'm out.  Too unrealistic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Or he is actually a dumbass who sends blood to his head of comms/ex-girlfriend and he is hoping to bury his India rounding error beneath a big acquisition and she is a victim of trauma who spilled the beans after being publicly humiliated again at the powerful rich guy party because she was furious. I'm having a hard time seeing how that is unrealistic. And I don't think you need a big ruse to get the three fuckups to make dumb choices and cannibalize each other. He could just give Shiv a scorpion.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I always feel like any comment is potentially stupid because I know I don't pay the kind of close attention that the show requires, but have we ever even seen good evidence that even Logan has ever been particularly sharp/astute/"the real deal"/etc as opposed to just ruthless and maybe lucky?

I think there's always some luck involved, but I think the very idea that he built the Royco/Waystar empire is pretty much the evidence that he's astute/the real deal and yes, ruthless as fuck. We saw him consistently outmaneuver others and retain his power though the whole show... e.g. as Tom said "I've never seen Logan get fucked."

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

The fact that everything negative about him has come from inside his camp smells like trap to me.  I also find it difficult to believe that the showrunners have spent years showing us how terrible these people are, only for them to win big in the end.  My guess is they play their cards, Mattson is clean and he wins/they lose in the end.

I think the showrunners' premise is that all of the people at this level are all awful in their own ways. We've spent the most time with the Roys, but basically all of the super rich/powerful people have been terrible in their own ways, from uber-douche finance bro Stewie to the Pierces and their over-the-top, thinly veiled passive aggressive "old money" awfulness to Mattson and his tech-bro douche/self-described "genius"/overconfidence.

Point being, I'm not sure any of them will really "win" given that they are pretty roundly awful.  Corporate machinations will happen, of course, but at the end of the day I think all of the major players will more-or-less "lose."

The hilarious thing is that Gerri, Frank and Karl are probably the only characters on the show that will be left standing as any kind of a "winners" because they won't have to be dealing with the Roys any more. :) 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Y’all are trying too hard to make this a mystery show lol.

Kendall will “win” - the show has been telling us it was him since the pilot - but it will be at the expense of everyone and everything in his life.

Roman is going to end up in some giant scandal.

Shiv will end up back in politics or something.

Greg will go with Ken.

Tom is done - watch Ken have Greg fire him.

The old guard are getting their $$$$$$$ and GingTFO.

And Mattson is just another lucky moron billionaire asshole.

We’ve all been subjected to the absolute garbage that pours out of Elon Musk - why are y’all surprised by a fictional Musk being a giant dumbfuck homophobe with antisemitic tendencies?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

It was a weird angle.  Tons of people vote early.  Pulling out on election eve might have a small effect, but it would have been far greater a week or two in advance.

• Hook 'Em 2

Speaking of weird angles, is there something about the camera shots of rich Nordics in horrible jackets that seemed heavy handed?  The fucking over the shoulder of hunched Mattson was annoying as shit. McKay is gonna warm this up and drive it home nicely

On 5/8/2023 at 1:25 AM, thepop said:

This show is in the S tier of shows it does it purely with dialogue no action, murder, science fiction, etc. Just great writing. As said above best show on television and it’s not close. 

Have we even seen a gun in three seasons of this show? Wish other producers would take note but not holding my breath