LBGTQ

Mo Horn

4 hours ago, Restless Native said:

Does anybody have any idea why they chose McCallum? Is it more of this library book bullshit?

It's AISD's Fine Arts Academy.

From what I've heard, they chose a high school because there was less likely to be parents around. 

If they tried to fuck around at an elementary school and get between the kids and the buses or kids and their parents, they would get the physical confrontation they seek, probably an arrest (outsiders are not allowed on certain parts of school grounds in Austin and in most Texas schools).  And also probably one helluva an ass beating, plus they'd probably be accused of being perverts, etc.  But mainly the ass beatings and arrests. I imagine the campus would go into lockdown and APD would show up in force, but they'd be doing cleanup - a lot of parents would fucking wreck anybody fucking with their kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

This will be obvious to some, but before the advent of the internet, previous generations often did not know how to put a name to the experience of gender dysphoria. It's generally a fairly small portion of the population who are trans and it just has not been widely understood or spoken of in most cultures, historically. Like with gay people but much more so. So once people finally have more widespread knowledge, you are going to have more people being able to identify themselves as trans, most who certainly have no motive other than accuracy, considering the still-extreme stigma. I say this from my family's personal experience. I wish the right-wingers would consider what the actual lived experience would be like of someone who came of age before the internet etc., and then after. To say it's all some sort of social contagion is myopic at best.  This might be my most diplomatic post ever, so savor it my bitches. 

• Hook 'Em 5

21 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Spider.jpeg

oooooh, you’re such a witty debater. You win, I lose. Fuck man. And I thought Ana was gonna be the one to take me down. god dammit, completely underestimated your max internet debater prowess. I’ll never do that again. 

Bill Hader Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Imagine coming to a thread where people are talking about fighting for their right simply to exist, where personal stories of abuse and discrimination have been shared, and where people share stories of relatives and loved ones committing suicide because of how difficult their lives were simply for being different.

Now imagine someone posts a graph showing that when social mores regarding a trait considered a stigma changed, there was a sharp increase in the prevalence that trait, and thinking it was clever to post this?

We don’t have to imagine it. A total dumbshit did exactly that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/4181412-texas-federal-judge-halts-states-ban-on-drag-shows/

A federal judge in Texas has stopped the state’s ban on drag performances, which was scheduled to go into place Friday, enforcing a temporary injunction on the measure in a win for LGBTQ rights advocates.

A group of drag performance groups, led by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Texas, filed a suit against the state early this month claiming that the law is overly broad and infringes on their freedom of speech.

“The Court finds there is a substantial likelihood that S.B. 12 as drafted violates the First Amendment of the United States Constitution under one or more of the legal theories put forward by the Plaintiffs,” District Judge David Hittner wrote in his opinion Thursday.

The law, signed by Gov. Greg Abbott (R) in late June, bans “sexually oriented performances” that take place in the presence of minors. LGBTQ advocates argued that the bill’s definition of performances is too broad and unconstitutional.

Venues that host events in violation of the law could be fined, and performers charged with a misdemeanor.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hard to celebrate the ruling when you know it’s going to the Fifth Reich . . . I mean Circuit.

Hard to celebrate a ruling that lets men play dress up while trans folk are getting their very existence erased. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 7:38 AM, troph said:

Hard to celebrate a ruling that lets men play dress up while trans folk are getting their very existence erased. 

I understand both your frustration and the urgency of the current state of things for you, but I ask just that you revisit this thought.  Dressing in drag is not part of my own personal sexuality, but I have known several drag queens through the years, and for most that I've known, drag has been an important part of their life for them in both coming to terms with their own personal sexuality and with their comfort of expressing who they felt themselves truly to be.   There are many whose drag is a stepping stone to understanding and accepting their own feelings of gender dysphoria.  Dismissing their expression of their sexuality as 'playing dress up' does not advance your own cause in my opinion.  Take it for what you will.  Not an attack.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 8/24/2023 at 10:22 AM, troph said:

I've explained that the "we should halt all treatment until there is more science to support it" argument has a loooooooooong history with the trans community. there was and still effectively is nearly zero money in trans research.  any time an article is published in favor of treatment it is ridiculed as not robust enough and then the argument comes out again, "we should halt all treatment until there is more science to support it" and then the same thing happens, no one puts any money into it and detractors rinse and repeat.

look, being trans is a mixed bag of blessings and curses, that's just the reality we live in. there is social pressure to conform and biological pressure not to conform. until recently (modern history) there has not be any medical based treatments at all. now we have some, they are far from perfect but for those that are trans and have support, medical transition works. that simply isn't going to be up for any cisgender scientist to say otherwise.  there are hundreds of thousands of trans people that will tell you you can have their meds when you peel them out of our cold dead hands.  in fact, on the exceedingly rare times I've second guessed myself, the one thing that is crystal fucking clear, there is zero chance, absolutely zero chance I'm stopping my estrogen. It's a miracle drug, and hundreds of thousands of trans people - of all ages - will confirm exactly what I'm saying.

side note, far from perfect hasn't stopped other psychiatric/pharmacological treatments for mental health concerns. and I'm far more comfortable taking estrogen than I am any number of anxiety or depression meds.  I'd love more science for trans people, that would be awesome and we could continue to improve treatments and outcomes like we do with everything else.

so, the opposition can straight up attempt to legislate us out of existence or they can block treatment with the age old approach of saying "we should halt all treatment until there is more science to support it." It's the same thing to me, except one is much more dangerous imo than the other because I think society as a whole will soundly reject the former and not understand the intent of the latter. 

yes I know ana says, he's only concerned about the kids (the exceedingly rare cisgender kid that is confused and takes blockers or cross-sex hormones), but that's because there isn't really a way to articulate his opposition generally without it being clear to everyone he's really in the first group.  once we halt treatment for kids then we can move on to adults.  don't believe me, look at the proposed legislation.

so yeah.... troll.

Weird how he never responded. Weird.

gia gunn GIF by RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 6Season 3 Vintage GIF by RuPaul's Drag RaceDrag Queen Pride GIF by YouTubeLip Sync Smile GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race6x1 GIF by RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 6Rupauls Drag Race Reality Tv GIF

Season 12 GIF by RuPaul's Drag RaceSeason 13 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Everyone in these gifs is a trans woman who was first introduced to the world as a man performing drag. Well, except for the last pic, as Gottmik is actually a trans man.  

And those are just the famous ones! I work with a couple of trans women who side gig as drag queens. If y'all have been to any shows or brunches in Austin, you've probably seen them. 

There's no real point to me posting this, other than that I wanted to post a bunch of drag gifs because I love them.

• Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, safe sex said:

gia gunn GIF by RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 6Season 3 Vintage GIF by RuPaul's Drag RaceDrag Queen Pride GIF by YouTubeLip Sync Smile GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race6x1 GIF by RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 6Rupauls Drag Race Reality Tv GIF

Season 12 GIF by RuPaul's Drag RaceSeason 13 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Everyone in these gifs is a trans woman who was first introduced to the world as a man performing drag. Well, except for the last pic, as Gottmik is actually a trans man.  

And those are just the famous ones! I work with a couple of trans women who side gig as drag queens. If y'all have been to any shows or brunches in Austin, you've probably seen them. 

There's no real point to me posting this, other than that I wanted to post a bunch of drag gifs because I love them.

stonewall was whitewashed for decades as gay men (in drag) that started the movement. No, it was trans women who found themselves through drag that started the movement.

I found myself through a form of drag - cross dressing. It wasn't until I had made it all the way to the end of what you can do with that that it dawned on my I had no other choice but to transition. 

so my comment was not really accurate, drag is important to our trans community and frankly to the broader gay community. I certainly don't want to disparage anyone who finds drag important. 

There is a finer point I was trying to make, but work, fatigue and just laziness will prevent me from diving into it at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Weird how he never responded. Weird.

Is that directed to me? I wasn't quoted in that post, and fwiw I think that I have addressed the substantive points in that post previously. The exchange with tropheus has become largely recursive, and just keeps devolving into her telling me that my motivation is to have her exterminated or other such nonsense.

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wouldn’t that be more of a drag king, if there is such a thing?

There is such a thing. But now a days a woman - trans or otherwise - can be a drag queen too.  

It’s called fuck the patriarchy. 

• Hook 'Em 1