[2022] Louisiana Monroe @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

My preference would be that Texas wins, no one gets hurt, and it doesn’t fucking rain. Taking my eldest to her first UT game and I’d prefer to avoid a 1996 Missouri game situation.

Fuck all of cfb except for the Horns. There will be ups and downs but it’s time to get the ball rolling toward meaningful accomplishments. No excuses. 

• Hook 'Em 3

IT with a few team notes

Spoiler

The season is upon us and that means we’re going to be more discreet when it comes to sharing info like player availability for games, intentions with scheme and game planning, etc.

If it’s unknown publicly if a player is going to miss a game, whether due to injury or suspension, we won’t be breaking that news. Often we’ll signal in advance, or maybe embed some Easter eggs throughout the board, but we’re not going to report it outright. 

Steve Sarkisian has mentioned Alfred Collins will miss the opener, so that’s no surprise. He’d play if they were facing Alabama this week. Jahdae Barron will play this week, but that’s likely more to get him tuned up for Alabama. We expect to see a fair amount of Jaylon Guilbeau and maybe even Michael Taaffe.

In his Thursday Zoom with media, Sark mentioned Wednesday being perhaps the best practice since his arrival in January 2021. IT had to ask for details and heard in response, “It was a big bounce back. Tuesday’s practice wasn’t as good as it should have been. Sark challenged the team and they responded with tremendous focus, energy, and their best execution in a long time.”

Watching four or five Thursday night games a couple of things stood out — tackling wasn’t the greatest and a number of passes were thrown behind receivers, indicating quarterbacks are still rounding into form with their receivers.

How has tackling been? “Team tackling is far and away better. You’ll see 11 guys running to the ball. Individual tackling has been pretty good, but you can’t simulate games in practice. They went good on good this week to help in that department. I think overall defensive players are better at using leverage.” 

How much cohesion is there between the three levels of defense? “That’s another aspect that has been a night and day difference from last year. Jerrin Thompson at safety and Jaylan Ford at linebacker know the defense and communicate it well. But it’s not just them, the other players know the defense much better, too.”

It sounds like coaches are still working hard to get Kitan Crawford into safety. Obviously his athleticism could be used back there. “They’re trying him at both field and boundary to see where he best fits. Coaches are definitely invested in him and he’s had a good two weeks.”

Do you think he’s a candidate to start early in the season? “I wouldn’t predict that but it’s possible if he keeps improving. He’s going to play quite a bit. It’ll be interesting to see how he does.”

IT thinks it’s interesting the staff is using JD Coffey primarily at boundary safety but Crawford at both. That undergirds the statement about coaches being invested in him. If Crawford is in a game that’s still in doubt, coaches will want him paired with an experienced player. That could be either Anthony Cook or Thompson.

Game film is going to matter a lot when it comes to certifying the two-deep at offensive line. IT is standing by its prediction of (from left to right) Kelvin Banks–Hayden Conner–Jake Majors–Cole Hutson–Christian Jones. We also feel strongly Andrej Karic is the 6th man. After that, playing time is up for grabs. We should see most of the true freshman O-linemen this week as they look to stake their claim for playing more and more.

A couple of receivers who will play this year but we haven’t discussed a whole lot are Tarique Milton and Peter Billingsley look alike Gabe Sulser. The reply, “Sulser might surprise some people. I wouldn’t be surprised if he finds his way into the end zone a few times this year. He can create space, has good speed, knows the plays. He’ll get some run. Milton, similar to Sulser, creates space, knows what to do, but he’s fast as hell. Faster than Sulser. They both line up inside and outside, but Milton is more likely to play outside.”

Per the usual, we’ll probably drop a few more pre-game team nuggets a little before kickoff.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT with a few team notes

Reveal hidden contents

The season is upon us and that means we’re going to be more discreet when it comes to sharing info like player availability for games, intentions with scheme and game planning, etc.

If it’s unknown publicly if a player is going to miss a game, whether due to injury or suspension, we won’t be breaking that news. Often we’ll signal in advance, or maybe embed some Easter eggs throughout the board, but we’re not going to report it outright. 

Steve Sarkisian has mentioned Alfred Collins will miss the opener, so that’s no surprise. He’d play if they were facing Alabama this week. Jahdae Barron will play this week, but that’s likely more to get him tuned up for Alabama. We expect to see a fair amount of Jaylon Guilbeau and maybe even Michael Taaffe.

In his Thursday Zoom with media, Sark mentioned Wednesday being perhaps the best practice since his arrival in January 2021. IT had to ask for details and heard in response, “It was a big bounce back. Tuesday’s practice wasn’t as good as it should have been. Sark challenged the team and they responded with tremendous focus, energy, and their best execution in a long time.”

Watching four or five Thursday night games a couple of things stood out — tackling wasn’t the greatest and a number of passes were thrown behind receivers, indicating quarterbacks are still rounding into form with their receivers.

How has tackling been? “Team tackling is far and away better. You’ll see 11 guys running to the ball. Individual tackling has been pretty good, but you can’t simulate games in practice. They went good on good this week to help in that department. I think overall defensive players are better at using leverage.” 

How much cohesion is there between the three levels of defense? “That’s another aspect that has been a night and day difference from last year. Jerrin Thompson at safety and Jaylan Ford at linebacker know the defense and communicate it well. But it’s not just them, the other players know the defense much better, too.”

It sounds like coaches are still working hard to get Kitan Crawford into safety. Obviously his athleticism could be used back there. “They’re trying him at both field and boundary to see where he best fits. Coaches are definitely invested in him and he’s had a good two weeks.”

Do you think he’s a candidate to start early in the season? “I wouldn’t predict that but it’s possible if he keeps improving. He’s going to play quite a bit. It’ll be interesting to see how he does.”

IT thinks it’s interesting the staff is using JD Coffey primarily at boundary safety but Crawford at both. That undergirds the statement about coaches being invested in him. If Crawford is in a game that’s still in doubt, coaches will want him paired with an experienced player. That could be either Anthony Cook or Thompson.

Game film is going to matter a lot when it comes to certifying the two-deep at offensive line. IT is standing by its prediction of (from left to right) Kelvin Banks–Hayden Conner–Jake Majors–Cole Hutson–Christian Jones. We also feel strongly Andrej Karic is the 6th man. After that, playing time is up for grabs. We should see most of the true freshman O-linemen this week as they look to stake their claim for playing more and more.

A couple of receivers who will play this year but we haven’t discussed a whole lot are Tarique Milton and Peter Billingsley look alike Gabe Sulser. The reply, “Sulser might surprise some people. I wouldn’t be surprised if he finds his way into the end zone a few times this year. He can create space, has good speed, knows the plays. He’ll get some run. Milton, similar to Sulser, creates space, knows what to do, but he’s fast as hell. Faster than Sulser. They both line up inside and outside, but Milton is more likely to play outside.”

Per the usual, we’ll probably drop a few more pre-game team nuggets a little before kickoff.

I completely forgot about Sulser.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Wonder whether the hard push for Crawford is because they don’t feel great about the tackling ability of Thompson. 

Crawford is just too athletic to ride the pine, and someone you don't want to see hit the portal. I think that is the reason for the push, he is a Junior, the light needs to come on for him.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

My preference would be that Texas wins, no one gets hurt, and it doesn’t fucking rain. Taking my eldest to her first UT game and I’d prefer to avoid a 1996 Missouri game situation.

Fuck all of cfb except for the Horns. There will be ups and downs but it’s time to get the ball rolling toward meaningful accomplishments. No excuses. 

My forecast is showing a pretty rainy day that should clear up by the evening. Hopefully that stays accurate 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiAuvyEAlKW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I like sark, he seems like a great teacher of the foosball. 

Unfortunately likeability doesn't always translate to a great head football coach.   I like the guy, but he needs to show me that he can win.   I'm on board the train, just hoping the conductor knows where the fuck we are going....  

2 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Unfortunately likeability doesn't always translate to a great head football coach.   I like the guy, but he needs to show me that he can win.   I'm on board the train, just hoping the conductor knows where the fuck we are going....  

Runaway Train GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

He didn't say anything about likeability, though. He said he seems like a great teacher of football.

I think Sark has every skill needed to be a good head coach. He just needs to master the art of in-game coaching/adjustments. All that matters is what happens on that field during those 60 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Wonder whether the hard push for Crawford is because they don’t feel great about the tackling ability of Thompson. 

I think the is all about adding speed.  Texas is not fast at the safety position and Watts is not the fastest CB (I pray he gets to use his size and length in press coverage)

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think the is all about adding speed.  Texas is not fast at the safety position and Watts is not the fastest CB (I pray he gets to use his size and length in press coverage)

Our DB's will be slow like A&Ms last year IMO. Agree that this is a move to increase team speed on the back end.

I keep thinking of the Ok Lite game last night. I think we’ll have some breakaway points due to superior athletes housing plays that were meant to “just get on tape”. I can see us executing some longer drives designed to just keep the ball and give the defense a rest. So, I think we’ll score a lot. 

But if we give up 20 (much less 44, lol) points I will leave drunk and disappointed. Otherwise I will just leave drunk. For me, I’m cool if ULM scores less than 20. Less than 14 and I’m stoked because our 3rd string dudes are winning battles consistently and take garbage points seriously. 

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

For me, I’m cool if ULM scores less than 20. Less than 14 and I’m stoked because our 3rd string dudes are winning battles consistently and take garbage points seriously. 

Same.  If we cover 37.5 I'm gonna be drunkool-aid.

My phone autocorrected the last word somehow.  I'm keeping it.

7 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Sling is ~$30 for the first month right now. Sling Blue + Sports Extra gets you LHN and pretty much every other CFB channel, sans Fox/FS1

Unless it’s changed since I left sling you don’t get LHN out of state.  Check the cord cutters or LHN threads or details.  

14 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

There is no out of state with vidgo. Their base package covers LHN. 

I know; that’s why I left sling, then went to DTVNow (allowed it on the espn app only), and finally landed on Vidgo which works in AZ at least.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

In his Thursday Zoom with media, Sark mentioned Wednesday being perhaps the best practice since his arrival in January 2021. IT had to ask for details and heard in response, “It was a big bounce back. Tuesday’s practice wasn’t as good as it should have been. Sark challenged the team and they responded with tremendous focus, energy, and their best execution in a long time.”

23704896-4959-4BC8-8FE9-BC6C84DF16A6.gif

• Like 1