[2022] Louisiana Monroe @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think a lot of y'alls predictions regarding Bijan's running yardage are a little (or a lot) too high. If the game is put away early, he needs to sit to avoid chances of injury.

Regarding the talk of him needing to run up the yardage to increase his Heisman standings, I'd bet that if you ask him (or anybody on the team, including coaches), he cares more about staying healthy and winning games than winning the Heisman. Plus its too damn early to be worrying about the Heisman.

edit: I went back and found my prediction a few pages back. I picked 180 total for Bijan. I must have been drunk or high when I typed that because that is way too high.

drunk ---food lover chubby kid GIF by beinglatino---- High

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Well shit. Does the NCAA ever do 1-game suspensions?  I feel like these things are usually all-or-nothing, i.e. no penalty or done for the year.

For drug tests (which happen leading up to and during the playoffs), I think you get half a season for the first infraction, and a full season the second, if that's what this is 

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

In football you do. Always good to get backups reps as well. 

Especially if the field is rough. These guys aren't gonna put Bijan at risk when they can do more than enough with Brooks/Blue/KRob. They'll let Bijan get loose, then put him on ice like they did against Rice last year. Rice is likely better than ULM.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

For drug tests (which happen leading up to and during the playoffs), I think you get half a season for the first infraction, and a full season the second, if that's what this is 

Feel like he would've been suspended for the playoffs though if that was the case.

2 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

I'd be very disappointed if we give up 20. ULM is not good. Like objectively bad. Still, I'd buy it. 

My thinking on ULM scoring 20 points was thus:

1 Offensive TD.

1 Hudson Card pick 6 in the second half.

1 Garbage TD at the end where they go for the 2pt conversion and miss it.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think a lot of y'alls predictions regarding Bijan's running yardage are a little (or a lot) too high. If the game is put away early, he needs to sit to avoid chances of injury.

Regarding the talk of him needing to run up the yardage to increase his Heisman standings, I'd bet that if you ask him (or anybody on the team, including coaches), he cares more about staying healthy and winning games than winning the Heisman. Plus its too damn early to be worrying about the Heisman.

edit: I went back and found my prediction a few pages back. I picked 180 total for Bijan. I must have been drunk or high when I typed that because that is way too high.

your-bijan-yardage.jpeg.afebfa756b1bdd878fb6126af6d4e13b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

No you don't. Sark has talked about this. They do not sit players for risk of injury. 

I think the assumption is that we’d sit him once the game got out of hand and there was virtually no chance of the final result being close. Pretty common for backups to get some garbage reps. Look at Rice last year.

If people are suggesting that we rest a starter while the outcome is still in question, I agree, that’s absurd. I’m just not interpreting the posts that way. 

15 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I think the assumption is that we’d sit him once the game got out of hand and there was virtually no chance of the final result being close. Pretty common for backups to get some garbage reps. Look at Rice last year.

If people are suggesting that we rest a starter while the outcome is still in question, I agree, that’s absurd. I’m just not interpreting the posts that way. 

You guys are fucking brain dead. He will play the entire first half or until the game is 3 scores+ in the 2nd half. He will have ~20 touches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

You guys are fucking brain dead. He will play the entire first half or until the game is 3 scores+ in the 2nd half. He will have ~20 touches. 

20 is about his average from last season.  i'd like to see him get worked a little harder.  what i remember is him having a great gain on first down, then being sent to the sideline and we end up punting.   give him the ball all three fucking downs and lets move the ball down the field.  we were 10th out of 10, as i recall, in time of possession in the conference.  it was not offensive guru caliber play-calling.  hashtag do better.

Seeing Monroe predicted to score 20+ points is kinda hilarious. This team was worse than Rice offensively last year, and even the horrible Texas defense shutout Rice. Outside of Ewers completely shitting they bed; Monroe is not likely to put together 3 scoring drives against any variation of our 3 deep.

• Hook 'Em 1

I said he gets 190ish APY. I expect that to be on three touches in the first quarter. 2 runs and 1 check down that he takes to the house. FTB.

42 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Where is your secret free parking spot near DKR?  I won’t tell anyone.

I park in the spot marked "G. Fenves". It is awesome too because everyone just assumes that he drives a 97 Prius. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Alright,  im calling bullshit on this Collins "injury"  

Theyve never come out and said what it is. And they always eventually say, dont they? 

I think hes suffering from dontgiveafuckitus. And the coaches have been sidelining him till he gets his head straight. 

1: started 3rd string. 

2: held out of practice due to un named injury. 

3: held out of the 1st game, due to same unspecified injury. 

Hes not hurt. Hes just not doing what the coaches expect. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Not sure how your post and mine are mutually exclusive or why you’re taking such offense, but it sounds like we agree

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

Theyve never come out and said what it is. And they always eventually say, dont they? 

I think hes suffering from dontgiveafuckitus. And the coaches have been sidelining him till he gets his head straight. 

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Torn scrotum

How to watch Texas football vs. UL-Monroe: TV, stream, game time, pick

The excitement is tangible for head coach Steve Sarkisian and the Texas football program heading into this weekend. Texas will open up the 2022 regular season slate at home this weekend against head coach Terry Bowden and the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks out of the Sun Belt.

Sark and the Longhorns are coming off a disappointing 2021 campaign where they finished up with a record of 5-7 (3-6 Big 12), which saw this team fall short of postseason eligibility for the first time since 2016. This will be the first time that the Longhorns faithful get to see Texas play in live-game action on the Forty Acres since the Black Friday win in the regular season finale last year over the Kansas State Wildcats.

Meanwhile, ULM comes into this game after posting a lowly record of 4-8 (2-6 Sun Belt) last season. That was a big improvement for Bowden and the Warhawks, though, after going winless in 10 games during the 2020 season.

This matchup between Texas and ULM is set to take place at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin on Sep. 3, with the kickoff time set for 7 p.m. CT.

Here’s a look at the TV/streaming information, game time, and a prediction as Texas gets set to take on ULM in the regular season opener on Sep. 3.

How to watch Texas football vs. UL-Monroe

TV: Longhorn Network

Live Stream: Watch ESPN(if your TV package includes LHN)

Radio/Audio Stream: Longhorn Radio Network

Game time: 7 p.m. CT kickoff/5 p.m. CT for Texas Gameday preview show

A few interesting notes from Anwar

Spoiler

The University of Texas will kick off its 130th season when the Longhorns host Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday.

Every Longhorn fan is aware of last year’s results. Players and coaches have expressed a desire to move on and start fresh. There is a lot of optimism about the upcoming season.

“I think as a staff, we know each other even better than we did a year ago,” Steve Sarkisian said. “That's not to make an excuse, but that's just the reality. It's another 12 months of working together and getting to know personalities and things and going back and reviewing specific calls or adjustments that got made. I think as a team when you really watch it, you can point out specific plays along the way that ultimately affected the outcome of the game. Everyone wants to look at the fourth quarter of those games. There were plays earlier that affected us to put us in the position in the fourth quarter in a negative way. I think our guys understand that and recognize that.

“I think our players are playing with a lot more confidence. Again, we haven't faced adversity yet. But I thought some of the errors we made in those games came from a lack of confidence. It came from uncertainty. It came from not playing with a belief in the call and in myself and in the guy next to me. That's what we've had to drill down on and work on to ensure those things. Through it all, we're going to get faced with a bunch of tight moments. This isn't like you just ho-hum your way through four quarters of football. We're going to get put in difficult situations. The ball is not always going to bounce our way. There's a reason footballs are shaped the way they are. It's not a soccer ball or a basketball. It bounces back to you. It kicks right, it kicks left. You want to try to create your own opportunities through your effort.”

Longhorn fans can expect to see the team’s maximum effort during the season-opener on Saturday.

They just should not expect to see exotic play-calling on either side of the ball this weekend.

I checked in with my sources this week and was told Sarkisian’s game plan is to keep the play-calling as vanilla as possible to prevent Alabama from receiving any insight into Texas. That should not come as a shocker to any college football observer. Texas is currently a 37.5-point favorite against Louisiana Monroe. There is no need for Texas to open its playbook against a team that was defeated by Kentucky, 45-10, in last year’s season opener.

One source told me Sarkisian’s goal is to show a base offense and defense similar to the spring game.

Alabama plays against Utah State in its season opener on Saturday. Utah State finished 11-3 last season, including a bowl victory against Oregon State. If you are looking for a potential advantage for Texas, Alabama may not have the luxury of holding back against a quality opponent this weekend.

And here is a little nugget to file away.

I was told Texas analyst Gary Patterson has been working on a game plan for Alabama for quite a while and everyone inside the building is optimistic about his strategy. Clearly, I was not given any specifics about the strategy, nor would I disclose that plan if someone shared it with me. That being said, Texas has a strategy it intends to implement next weekend.

For now, Texas is preparing for ULM.

“A lot of hours. A lot of blood sweat and tears go into this,” Sarkisian said. “Whenever it's the first game, you're excited about it. I think we've got an excited team. I think we've got an excited fan base. There's nothing like opening your season at home and for us a home night game at DKR. It's going to be a great environment. Just looking forward to trying to put our players in the best position to be successful and watching them go do what they love to do, which is play football, and play football as a team.”

As Texas redshirt freshman Quinn Ewers prepares to make his first start on Saturday, college football observers are curious to see how he performs.

We have talked a lot about Ewers not playing a game since his junior season of high school. In reality, Ewers enrolled at Ohio State, was able to sit and learn in a college offense, and transferred to Texas in January. It is not like Ewers was out of football for several years and is making a magical return to the sidelines.

Sarkisian recently named Ewers his starting quarterback and expressed satisfaction in the progression of his passer since the decision. In fact, I asked Sarkisian if he intended to play Hudson Card and Ewers against ULM. Last year, Sarkisian said he would play Card and former Texas quarterback Casey Thompson is the season opener against Louisiana. He promised both quarterbacks they would receive playing time.

However, Sarkisian is all chips in on Ewers.

“I'm not going into the game saying Hudson is going to go in the first series of the second quarter, or I want to make sure Hudson gets in the first half. I would love for Hudson to play in this game, but I have to let the game unfold and play out the way it's going to play out. Quinn has earned the starting job. We're going to start Quinn. We're going to play Quinn. Hopefully, we can get Hudson in there but the plan isn't there's nothing structured to get him in the game. But we'll see how it goes.”

Many players praised Ewers for his quiet demeanor this week. While some outsiders believe Ewers needs to be more vocal and emotional, the staff and players believe Ewers presents himself as a leader for not riding the emotional roller coaster.

Last season, when asked about Card’s quiet demeanor, Sarkisian said successful quarterbacks do not need to be vocal.

“I don't know that you're just going to see him [Card] breaking down the huddle, like on the sidelines with the entire team around him,” Sarkisian said a few days before the 2021 season opener. “I think that that type of respect over time will come naturally, and is a little bit more organic. I do think there's that natural leadership that comes into play, especially from an offensive perspective, about the guys that are out there with you. Clearly, he's got to drive the car on the field, get people aligned, the cadence, all those kinds of things, make the necessary protection adjustments, and those types of things. You have to be vocal to do that. I think him being vocal comes between series, and maybe right at the start of a series. I think it's a natural progression. I think it is relatively organic.”

It explains why when asked about it this week, Ewers viewed being even-keeled.

“I've been told it's kind of hard to read what I'm feeling. I kind of like to keep it to myself and just show that I'm calm … I think them [teammates] seeing me being calm can also be a good thing. But for sure maybe being like a vocal [leader], but also calm at the same time, if that makes sense.

Here are a few game-day nuggets for those attending Saturday’s game.

--- The new scoreboard is completed and ready to go.

--- One source told me Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte wanted to install new stadium lights this offseason. However, Fox’s decision to pair Texas-Alabama at 11 a.m., coupled with supply chain challenges, contributed to the athletic department’s decision to put off that project. I was told new lights will be installed before Texas plays its first SEC football game.

--- Fans can expect to see minor challenges outside of the stadium but nothing significant on Bevo Blvd. or the Midway. Those enhancements will occur before Texas' SEC debut.

49 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How to watch Texas football vs. UL-Monroe: TV, stream, game time, pick

The excitement is tangible for head coach Steve Sarkisian and the Texas football program heading into this weekend. Texas will open up the 2022 regular season slate at home this weekend against head coach Terry Bowden and the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks out of the Sun Belt.

Sark and the Longhorns are coming off a disappointing 2021 campaign where they finished up with a record of 5-7 (3-6 Big 12), which saw this team fall short of postseason eligibility for the first time since 2016. This will be the first time that the Longhorns faithful get to see Texas play in live-game action on the Forty Acres since the Black Friday win in the regular season finale last year over the Kansas State Wildcats.

Meanwhile, ULM comes into this game after posting a lowly record of 4-8 (2-6 Sun Belt) last season. That was a big improvement for Bowden and the Warhawks, though, after going winless in 10 games during the 2020 season.

This matchup between Texas and ULM is set to take place at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin on Sep. 3, with the kickoff time set for 7 p.m. CT.

Here’s a look at the TV/streaming information, game time, and a prediction as Texas gets set to take on ULM in the regular season opener on Sep. 3.

How to watch Texas football vs. UL-Monroe

TV: Longhorn Network

Live Stream: Watch ESPN(if your TV package includes LHN)

Radio/Audio Stream: Longhorn Radio Network

Game time: 7 p.m. CT kickoff/5 p.m. CT for Texas Gameday preview show

But, but…..I’m going to the game!

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A few interesting notes from Anwar:

"I was told Texas analyst Gary Patterson has been working on a game plan for Alabama for quite a while and everyone inside the building is optimistic about his strategy. Clearly, I was not given any specifics about the strategy, nor would I disclose that plan if someone shared it with me. That being said, Texas has a strategy it intends to implement next weekend."

This is about as insightful as Anwar's "Texas intends to play multiple player's" report.

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A few interesting notes from Anwar

Hide contents

The University of Texas will kick off its 130th season when the Longhorns host Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday.

Every Longhorn fan is aware of last year’s results. Players and coaches have expressed a desire to move on and start fresh. There is a lot of optimism about the upcoming season.

“I think as a staff, we know each other even better than we did a year ago,” Steve Sarkisian said. “That's not to make an excuse, but that's just the reality. It's another 12 months of working together and getting to know personalities and things and going back and reviewing specific calls or adjustments that got made. I think as a team when you really watch it, you can point out specific plays along the way that ultimately affected the outcome of the game. Everyone wants to look at the fourth quarter of those games. There were plays earlier that affected us to put us in the position in the fourth quarter in a negative way. I think our guys understand that and recognize that.

“I think our players are playing with a lot more confidence. Again, we haven't faced adversity yet. But I thought some of the errors we made in those games came from a lack of confidence. It came from uncertainty. It came from not playing with a belief in the call and in myself and in the guy next to me. That's what we've had to drill down on and work on to ensure those things. Through it all, we're going to get faced with a bunch of tight moments. This isn't like you just ho-hum your way through four quarters of football. We're going to get put in difficult situations. The ball is not always going to bounce our way. There's a reason footballs are shaped the way they are. It's not a soccer ball or a basketball. It bounces back to you. It kicks right, it kicks left. You want to try to create your own opportunities through your effort.”

Longhorn fans can expect to see the team’s maximum effort during the season-opener on Saturday.

They just should not expect to see exotic play-calling on either side of the ball this weekend.

I checked in with my sources this week and was told Sarkisian’s game plan is to keep the play-calling as vanilla as possible to prevent Alabama from receiving any insight into Texas. That should not come as a shocker to any college football observer. Texas is currently a 37.5-point favorite against Louisiana Monroe. There is no need for Texas to open its playbook against a team that was defeated by Kentucky, 45-10, in last year’s season opener.

One source told me Sarkisian’s goal is to show a base offense and defense similar to the spring game.

Alabama plays against Utah State in its season opener on Saturday. Utah State finished 11-3 last season, including a bowl victory against Oregon State. If you are looking for a potential advantage for Texas, Alabama may not have the luxury of holding back against a quality opponent this weekend.

And here is a little nugget to file away.

I was told Texas analyst Gary Patterson has been working on a game plan for Alabama for quite a while and everyone inside the building is optimistic about his strategy. Clearly, I was not given any specifics about the strategy, nor would I disclose that plan if someone shared it with me. That being said, Texas has a strategy it intends to implement next weekend.

For now, Texas is preparing for ULM.

“A lot of hours. A lot of blood sweat and tears go into this,” Sarkisian said. “Whenever it's the first game, you're excited about it. I think we've got an excited team. I think we've got an excited fan base. There's nothing like opening your season at home and for us a home night game at DKR. It's going to be a great environment. Just looking forward to trying to put our players in the best position to be successful and watching them go do what they love to do, which is play football, and play football as a team.”

As Texas redshirt freshman Quinn Ewers prepares to make his first start on Saturday, college football observers are curious to see how he performs.

We have talked a lot about Ewers not playing a game since his junior season of high school. In reality, Ewers enrolled at Ohio State, was able to sit and learn in a college offense, and transferred to Texas in January. It is not like Ewers was out of football for several years and is making a magical return to the sidelines.

Sarkisian recently named Ewers his starting quarterback and expressed satisfaction in the progression of his passer since the decision. In fact, I asked Sarkisian if he intended to play Hudson Card and Ewers against ULM. Last year, Sarkisian said he would play Card and former Texas quarterback Casey Thompson is the season opener against Louisiana. He promised both quarterbacks they would receive playing time.

However, Sarkisian is all chips in on Ewers.

“I'm not going into the game saying Hudson is going to go in the first series of the second quarter, or I want to make sure Hudson gets in the first half. I would love for Hudson to play in this game, but I have to let the game unfold and play out the way it's going to play out. Quinn has earned the starting job. We're going to start Quinn. We're going to play Quinn. Hopefully, we can get Hudson in there but the plan isn't there's nothing structured to get him in the game. But we'll see how it goes.”

Many players praised Ewers for his quiet demeanor this week. While some outsiders believe Ewers needs to be more vocal and emotional, the staff and players believe Ewers presents himself as a leader for not riding the emotional roller coaster.

Last season, when asked about Card’s quiet demeanor, Sarkisian said successful quarterbacks do not need to be vocal.

“I don't know that you're just going to see him [Card] breaking down the huddle, like on the sidelines with the entire team around him,” Sarkisian said a few days before the 2021 season opener. “I think that that type of respect over time will come naturally, and is a little bit more organic. I do think there's that natural leadership that comes into play, especially from an offensive perspective, about the guys that are out there with you. Clearly, he's got to drive the car on the field, get people aligned, the cadence, all those kinds of things, make the necessary protection adjustments, and those types of things. You have to be vocal to do that. I think him being vocal comes between series, and maybe right at the start of a series. I think it's a natural progression. I think it is relatively organic.”

It explains why when asked about it this week, Ewers viewed being even-keeled.

“I've been told it's kind of hard to read what I'm feeling. I kind of like to keep it to myself and just show that I'm calm … I think them [teammates] seeing me being calm can also be a good thing. But for sure maybe being like a vocal [leader], but also calm at the same time, if that makes sense.

Here are a few game-day nuggets for those attending Saturday’s game.

--- The new scoreboard is completed and ready to go.

--- One source told me Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte wanted to install new stadium lights this offseason. However, Fox’s decision to pair Texas-Alabama at 11 a.m., coupled with supply chain challenges, contributed to the athletic department’s decision to put off that project. I was told new lights will be installed before Texas plays its first SEC football game.

--- Fans can expect to see minor challenges outside of the stadium but nothing significant on Bevo Blvd. or the Midway. Those enhancements will occur before Texas' SEC debut.

Gary Patterson has been scheming for Bama?  Bitch, that’s all you had to say.  

Seriously, we gonna ride Bijan, Roshon, X, Mullet this year. We’re gonna be better at QB, WR, TE, RB and defense is gonna be better. 
We’re gonna be kicking nuts and stepping on necks.

Shock the Nation II starts in 2 days.  Tell a MFin’ friend.  

• Hook 'Em 5