Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

In the 1st half he had a couple of wtf throws where his feet weren't set in the short game and you could tell he didn't fully trust his protection yet. It got much better as the game went on. His ability to throw off platform and with different arm angles makes his footwork moot at times, especially when guys are schemed wide-ass open.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Per the story from the Athletic back in August (QE’s own words):

“In an offseason where he focused on maturing to take the next step at QB,cutting his hair was merely part of the transformation. The Texas quarterback also went from 218 to 200 pounds during the offseason, focusing on improving his eating habits and cutting fast food, per The Athletic.

“I probably haven’t been this light since my sophomore year of high school,” he said. “I lost some bad weight and gained some good weight back. I really focused on my eating habits; getting in the playbook more; I want to be comfortable, on and off the field, if that makes sense, physically and mentally.”

I’d rather just roll with his own words and by his admission he needed to mature and did so physically and mentally. You could certainly see it on the field last night. The work he has put into it. I’m happy to continue eating crow and can only speak for myself but that was my biggest knock on him last year—not taking it as seriously (playbook, prep work, diet etc…) he took all those things seriously in the off-season and I am sure that having Arch Manning waiting in the wings was just but one of many motivating factors for him. I’m happy for him to have that success. He earned it last night. He’s worked hard for it and those changes he knew he needed to make are showing and will continue to show as he continues to grow and mature. Good for him! Hook’em!

I also threw in a picture of my dad’s 1963 championship glasses paired with a 1969 decanter. He purchased them when they came out in those years.  We decided to display them MORE prominently this year on my mom’s fancy shelf. Usually it’s for her fancy knickknacks and other shit. Hoping it leads to one more MNC! 

IMG_7175.jpeg

May your dad get to see us run off 3 more MNC over the next 5 seasons.

• Like 1

In the 1st half he had a couple of wtf throws where his feet weren't set in the short game and you could tell he didn't fully trust his protection yet. It got much better as the game went on. His ability to throw off platform and with different arm angles makes his footwork moot at times, especially when guys are schemed wide-ass open.

By the end of the game, he was holding his arm out after the pass like he was shooting three pointers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well when I was in school there was a place in the union called tortilla flats where I’d go and get some nice quesadillas (and then wank across the street to einsteins for a couple games of blitz).And then the taco cabana on mlk for late nights. 

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Levi said:

Worthy is that guy. Outside of that one drop he had a damn good game. The moment when it was a 3 & 4 and he bounced off those Bama tacklers to get the first down was awesome. Also, if he wasn’t that “guy” then Saban wouldn’t bracket him the entire game after his touchdown catch. 

Bro that was his second best play of the night behind the TD......I for sure thought he was going to be down.

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My favorite was the one he threw right over the DB to Mitchell along the sideline backed up at our own 6

Oh I agree that was the prettiest past but that was 1st and 10 when he made that and he pretty much just dropped back and fired.  Second and 15 still in your own territory. Chance to score again and put the opponent in a really big hole or looking at having to punt it away to them, forced to survey the field and find an option and deliver the ball to a receiver who definitely isn't the first option usually.  It was nails

Edited by Surly Bevo

14 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Best pass of the night was the cold blooded throw to Whittington when he found a little space between the Bama DBs to convert that Third and 11 and keep the final scoring drive going.  

I love Whitt. He brings a blue collar vibe to wr room with his terrific blocking and toughness. His YAC is an underrated part of the the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Levi said:

I love Whitt. He brings a blue collar vibe to wr room with his terrific blocking and toughness. His YAC is an underrated part of the the offense. 

Seconded. JWhitt bleeds orange, always has a smile on his face, makes clutch catches, isn't afraid to go over the middle, and came back for one more year. That block / tackle he put on the Bama player during the end zone punt was utterly fantastic. Pretty much took the Tide player off his feet and drove him square into the ground. That play embodies JWhitt. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Really nice game by Ewers last night.  There's something about former Ohio State quarterbacks <jk>.

I'm starting to think that some of his troubles last year were due to lingering effects from that hit he took against Alabama.  That and the fact that he finally seems to be taking his game more seriously.  I'd like to see him build on last night and continue to improve although he was damned good last night.

Edited by VABuckeye

43 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Seconded. JWhitt bleeds orange, always has a smile on his face, makes clutch catches, isn't afraid to go over the middle, and came back for one more year. That block / tackle he put on the Bama player during the end zone punt was utterly fantastic. Pretty much took the Tide player off his feet and drove him square into the ground. That play embodies JWhitt. 

“Although it was a penalty, you can now see why I loved the potential of Whitt switching to defense. Perfect form tackle for a guy that hadn’t played defense in college. Scouts are taking notice.” -Ian Boyd, probably 

Someone posted this earlier. But definitely worth the watch. He was on target most of the night, very few poorly thrown balls where the receiver had no chance. He went through his progressions and found open receivers. He stepped up in the pocket giving his receivers time to get open. If the receivers didn't have the dropsies, this game is not even close. I thought he played a really good game during live viewing. On second viewing, he had a GREAT game.

We going undefeated bitches. Ewers has turned the corner.

I like how he's been a grumpy bastard in interviews since last year. He's tired of answering the same questions about last year and his lack of performance and how he's going to be different this year. He seemed like he was waiting all year for this game to shut up the stupid fucking questions. 

In Ewers I believe.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ironically, the two deep td passes were not great. Worthy’s was brutally bad and Mitchell’s wasn’t great. Wrs made incredible plays. 

even more ironically, Quinn threw an absolutely perfect goal line throw on 3rd and goal in the first drive and worthy did a terrible job and he threw an NFL quality laser to Mitchell deep in our own territory that Mitchell dropped when the bama db timed his hit perfectly. 

once Quinn settled down his feet after the first quarter and started to see/trust that our oline was there to play the best game they have in more than a decade, he did a really good job of delivering most of the time. Still some bad plays on the 3rd and short and 4th and short throwing to the only guy covered. But now that he’s starting to trust more than just worthy and sanders and the oline is putting in A+ pass protection performances, there’s some real potential for sustained offensive success. Great game from both lines last night. Looking forward to Hill’s season on D. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

Ironically, the two deep td passes were not great. Worthy’s was brutally bad and Mitchell’s wasn’t great. Wrs made incredible plays. 

even more ironically, Quinn threw an absolutely perfect goal line throw on 3rd and goal in the first drive and worthy did a terrible job and he threw an NFL quality laser to Mitchell deep in our own territory that Mitchell dropped when the bama db timed his hit perfectly. 

once Quinn settled down his feet after the first quarter and started to see/trust that our oline was there to play the best game they have in more than a decade, he did a really good job of delivering most of the time. Still some bad plays on the 3rd and short and 4th and short throwing to the only guy covered. But now that he’s starting to trust more than just worthy and sanders and the oline is putting in A+ pass protection performances, there’s some real potential for sustained offensive success. Great game from both lines last night. Looking forward to Hill’s season on D. 

They weren’t great throws. Neither was brutally bad. They were both more than acceptable. 

Ewers definitely seemed to settle in once he saw the OL was at least holding its own and he had some success. Much of the long ball stuff seems to be mental and every bit of confidence has to help. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

They weren’t great throws. Neither was brutally bad. They were both more than acceptable. 

Ewers definitely seemed to settle in once he saw the OL was at least holding its own and he had some success. Much of the long ball stuff seems to be mental and every bit of confidence has to help. 

It really was IMO. The Milroe to Burton td pass is what that pass should have looked like. Not a punt pass to the moon into the middle of the endzone. Obviously happy with the result but worthy had to make a miraculous catch over his head after a complete change of direction.

quinn threw some really nice balls last night, that wasn’t one of them. Someone astutely pointed out the 3rd down pass to Whittington as his best and I would probably agree. The short td pass to Mitchell was really, really nicely placed and timed around the linebacker responsible for filling that zone. Sideline pass to Mitchell was also pretty perfect, as was the laser he threw that Mitchell dropped. 3rd down goal line that worthy dropped was gorgeous. 

Long td passes and the first two bomb incompletions (my god the first one where worthy was wide open was frustrating) were his worst passes. Maybe the fourth down pass to the only covered person. Not a bad thing that those were the worst. He played well and showed major growth from last year and week 1. For the first time in his career, when they came out in the fourth quarter, there was a sense of confidence. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

It really was IMO. The Milroe to Burton td pass is what that pass should have looked like. Not a punt pass to the moon into the middle of the endzone. Obviously happy with the result but worthy had to make a miraculous catch over his head after a complete change of direction.

quinn threw some really nice balls last night, that wasn’t one of them. Someone astutely pointed out the 3rd down pass to Whittington as his best and I would probably agree. The short td pass to Mitchell was really, really nicely placed and timed around the linebacker responsible for filling that zone. Sideline pass to Mitchell was also pretty perfect, as was the laser he threw that Mitchell dropped. 3rd down goal line that worthy dropped was gorgeous. 

Long td passes and the first two bomb incompletions (my god the first one where worthy was wide open was frustrating) were his worst passes. Maybe the fourth down pass to the only covered person. Not a bad thing that those were the worst. He played well and showed major growth from last year and week 1. For the first time in his career, when they came out in the fourth quarter, there was a sense of confidence. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going.

Then I suggest you rewatch big swaths of last season or even last week to see what a truly brutally bad long ball looks like. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Also, Sark deserves so much credit for Quinn’s performance and the offense overall yesterday. We’ve all been talking about finding ways to get Quinn in rhythm and that’s exactly what we did yesterday. We made him comfortable and gave him the confidence to go swing in the 4th. Huge props to Sark

Sped up the game, different backfield sets, flex formations that can go either way, didn’t slow it down to look but I bet a ton of RPOs and let him be a baller. Yeah he connected on the deep ball, but he also had time. I bet he can do that all year with an open play book if the Oline plays well. 

Edited by troph

I don't think Ewers' long balls were bad throws.  He does tend to float his passes, though.  If he wants to play on Sundays in the big boy league he'll need to get some more zip on them.

That being said, he fuckin' killed it.  Stood strong in the pocket all night outside of a small stretch at the end of the first half.  Was right on target almost the entire night.  His receivers don't stone-hands pass after pass and that performance goes down as one of the greatest by a CFB QB.  

Also looked good out of the pocket when he needed to use his legs.  Losing the weight definitely seems to have helped him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Then I suggest you rewatch big swaths of last season or even last week to see what a truly brutally bad long ball looks like. 

Yeah, we witnessed brutally bad plenty last season. Those two passes were not that. Quinn is clearly trying to err on the side of giving his receiver a chance rather than throw a perfect throw. After last season, I'm very grateful for that. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, we witnessed brutally bad plenty last season. Those two passes were not that. Quinn is clearly trying to err on the side of giving his receiver a chance rather than throw a perfect throw. After last season, I'm very grateful for that. 

And I tend to think it wasn’t a coincidence that the long balls weren’t pinned against the sidelines, which reduces the margin of error. 

The long TDs weren’t picture perfect, but they were good enough to get the job done and neither one really gave the defender even a chance to make a play. Anything that builds his confidence and gets them all on the same page can only be an advantage moving forward. No idea how either one would be labeled “brutally bad.”

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We witnessed brutally bad in his first deep pass to Worthy in the Alabama game too. It was an eye roller. 

the TD was 20 yards away from where it should have been. That’s super bad. He just happened to throw it so high that Xavier had an opportunity to break off the route and make the best play of his career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Bevoette said:

Anyone know the significance of his arm tattoo? Has a date 

It’s a bible verse, Luke 17:31. Don’t get attached to material things or some shit. 

Just now, sidis said:

We witnessed brutally bad in his first deep pass to Worthy in the Alabama game too. It was an eye roller. 

the TD was 20 yards away from where it should have been. That’s super bad. He just happened to throw it so high that Xavier had an opportunity to break off the route and make the best play of his career. 

Not to sound disrespectful, but are you fucking retarded? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s a bible verse, Luke 17:31. Don’t get attached to material things or some shit. 

Not to sound disrespectful, but are you fucking retarded? 

Dahobbs and doc, you may want to consider the quoted post in assessing your disagreement with my post. Just saying. 

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet