Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The biggest things I took from this performance was Ewers command over the offense and his pocket presence. He wasnt contact shy. He took some hits and delivered the football (Sanders 3rd down conversion). He did not throw fade away jumpers in the face of the rush (mitchell sideline route). For the most part he stepped up in the  pocket, instead of bailing out to the right. For the vast majority of the game  his reads were timely and on point. He showed patience (RPO to Mitchell for a TD). His deep ball was better, but the other things give me more confidence going forward. He just needs to prove that Bama was not a 1 off. The arguing over how good of a TD pass it was is just minutiae. 

Sark talked about him not being contact shy and the difference it makes with his feet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Never said anything about a glaring weakness. My take is while I’m happy he hit on the deep balls there is still room for improvement. Both Worthy and AD made really good catches but had either one dropped those people would have come down on the respective receiver when Ewers could have given them much easier passes to catch. My take is I'd much rather him work to get better on his placement on deep balls instead of having the WRs have to make difficult catches as the former will increase the success rate.

We also saw a number of "drops" throughout the game and I'd wager it's because those balls weren't being placed where they normally are during reps. I suspect the Bama WRs were able to make a number of difficult catches because that's what they are used to in practice.

I bet you're fun at parties. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

My take is while I’m happy he hit on the deep balls there is still room for improvement. Both Worthy and AD made really good catches but had either one dropped those people would have come down on the respective receiver when Ewers could have given them much easier passes to catch. My take is I'd much rather him work to get better on his placement on deep balls instead of having the WRs have to make difficult catches as the former will increase the success rate.

uh....better placement on a ball that went 54 yds in the air?...Say what? How much better do you want it? My nomination for dumb take of the year!

• Haha 1

This was posted on another thread. I think it is indicative of what happens when Sark's scheming and Quinn's execution are in sync.

Quinn Ewers completed 16 of 20 passes for 225 yards and two touchdowns on first down.

80% completion and 11 yds/att will win some ball games.

Having a pocket to stand in and deliver the ball on time makes all the difference in the world.  Tremendous job by the coaches getting everybody ready to do their part, and kudos to the players for delivering. 

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, PTINS said:

This was posted on another thread. I think it is indicative of what happens when Sark's scheming and Quinn's execution are in sync.

Quinn Ewers completed 16 of 20 passes for 225 yards and two touchdowns on first down.

80% completion and 11 yds/att will win some ball games.

Having a pocket to stand in and deliver the ball on time makes all the difference in the world.  Tremendous job by the coaches getting everybody ready to do their part, and kudos to the players for delivering. 

I was told pretty firmly in the week leading up to this game that first down passing was idiocy and only served to put Texas behind the chains. Maybe it’s not that the calls are inherently bad but need to be executed well, like most plays. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was told pretty firmly in the week leading up to this game that first down passing was idiocy and only served to put Texas behind the chains. Maybe it’s not that the calls are inherently bad but need to be executed well, like most plays. 

It wasn’t passing on first, it was taking a deep shot that had almost no chance of being caught that we didn’t like.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

It wasn’t passing on first, it was taking a deep shot that had almost no chance of being caught that we didn’t like.

Well, no down is a good one for a deep shot that has almost no chance of being caught, right?

Why did they have almost no chance of being caught? Execution or something else? I mean, the targets were open, right?

Edited by Doc Daneeka

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Well, no down is a good one for a deep shot that has almost no chance of being caught, right?

Why did they have almost no chance of being caught? Execution or something else? I mean, the targets were open, right?

I don't think Worthy is good at catching contested deep balls. Not many WRs are, but for some reason we kept forcing it, which was frustrating. As a coach, you have to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of your players. I feel like AD is much better at grabbing those contested balls. 

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't think Worthy is good at catching contested deep balls. Not many WRs are, but for some reason we kept forcing it, which was frustrating. As a coach, you have to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of your players. I feel like AD is much better at grabbing those contested balls. 

Against Rice, from which these complaints arose, Worthy was open and the deep balls weren’t contested. They were underthrown or thrown out of bounds. But he was open. 

Perhaps I’m blocking out some examples, though. Which deep balls to Worthy would have been contested if the throws were on target? 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

The old skool philosophy of using the run to set up the pass has simply morphed into using the short game to set up the long game.  Sark was stubborn and determined to hit deep balls before he had forced the defense to respect the runs or the swing/screen game.  His playcalling has changed.  I wouldn't want to go up against him with the talent we put on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Against Rice, from which these complaints arose, Worthy was open and the deep balls weren’t contested. They were underthrown or thrown out of bounds. But he was open. 

Perhaps I’m blocking out some examples, though. Which deep balls to Worthy would have been contested if the throws were on target? 

I was not talking about the Rice game only and I don't think people were complaining just based on what happened in that game. One or two games is an anomaly but it has happened many times since last year, so it has some validity to it. You have to get Worthy the balls in space and let him run with it.

Just now, UTEE97 said:

I was not talking about the Rice game only and I don't think people were complaining just based on what happened in that game. One or two games is an anomaly but it has happened many times since last year, so it has some validity to it. You have to get Worthy the balls in space and let him run with it.

Fair enough, but he was in space against Rice and the same complaints were still made. 

On 9/12/2023 at 7:37 PM, SarkAfterDark said:

I believe one person said it was an awful pass, just about everyone else is saying he could have made it an easier catch for his receivers.

This reminds me of last year when some had their criticisms of Ewers after the OU game and were told to shut up because he played a great game and then those same issues became more present the rest of the year. 

I’m glad he hit on the deep balls but I hope he continues to get better.

better than 360 yards, 3 TD's, and no turnovers in tuscaloosa against a defense with several first round draft picks. 

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

You deserve Casey Thompson 

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet