Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Holy shit dude read what I'm posting. I never said we should bench Quinn. You're the one making up that argument in your head. 

What I'm saying is that Arch next season is probably going to blow a lot of you away. Quinn is fine. I actually think he's better than that - I think he gives us a decent chance at winning a national championship this season. Yes - this season. 

I think a RS frosh Arch wins this game going away. I don't think he dicks around and throws two picks in the 1Q. I think he's that fucking good - and I think that the standard for QB play at Texas should be very high. 

Vince doesn't lose this game today. Colt doesn't lose this game today. That's the fucking point. This is Texas. This isn't aggy or Baylor or Tech. You show up to win the fucking game. You don't show up and throw 2 picks in your first 9 attempts. That isn't what this is about. 

Your mileage might vary. 

What are you talking about? You literally said “let’s see what Arch has”. What is that supposed to mean? Any reasonable person would assume you’re talking about today/this season and not next year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Revolution512 said:

He had a rough 1st Q, this L has absolutely zero to do with him

He had one really bad throw. The Sanders throw was good.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's the entire FUCKING POINT.

Angry Atp Tour GIF by Tennis TV1

God fucking dammit why the fuck does this kid get a fucking pass for everything with you people. He fucked up today. It's okay. We have more games to play. But he was absolutely a huge fucking part of the problem. Jesus fuck. 

Quinn probably shouldn't have thrown the slant. I feel him though. You see your receiver inside the route and so you throw it feeling like he will run his route and fight to keep the defender from crossing his face. If he just plays physical that is an incompletion at the most. He struggles playing physical though as exampled by his blocking.

The throw to Sanders was fine and he should've hung onto it. Simple as that. The fighting for extra yards was stupid but outside of that he played pretty well.

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Your original post:

c9f6b116f2a58108a89cac078c0ac34c.jpg

So you meant let’s see what Arch has….next year?

You're right that's a nebulous comment and I left it ambiguous because I was pissed off. I was also hammered. I'm not intentionally misleading people or being a cunt. 

When I say "probably not good enough to win it" I mean not good enough to win a national championship. When I say "let's see what Arch has" I mean next season. 

That said, like I've already clarified, I think this team with Quinn is good enough to win it this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

You're right that's a nebulous comment and I left it ambiguous because I was pissed off. I was also hammered. I'm not intentionally misleading people or being a cunt. 

When I say "probably not good enough to win it" I mean not good enough to win a national championship. When I say "let's see what Arch has" I mean next season. 

That said, like I've already clarified, I think this team with Quinn is good enough to win it this season. 

Then i think we’re on the same page

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Then i think we’re on the same page

Have a nice rest of your weekend amigo. 

I'm hoping that OU just flipped the switch for us to take the rest of this season very serious.

UH doesn't deserve what we're going to do to them in a couple weeks.

Lot of football left to play. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I never blamed Quinn. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Quinn threw two picks in the 1Q and we never recovered from that. 

This team could still win a national championship - I think they're that good - but we can absolutely upgrade at QB. 

I think Arch is going to make a lot of you realize how limited we are with Quinn. 

Nuanced? I may see your point now, but it’s pretty fucking hard to not take this as blaming Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Nuanced? I may see your point now, but it’s pretty fucking hard to not take this as blaming Quinn.

I'm not blaming anyone for this loss. Frankly, I'm fine with it and only midly concerned going forward. 

I want QB1 to play at a higher level week in and week out. I don't think that that's an unreasonable expectation. He's making top 5 money he should be playing like a top 5 guy. He hasn't done that in his time at Texas. 

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, as someone who listened to an audiobook with his then-thirteen year old called Zen Tennis, I get that.  I just never have heard it mentioned in a broadcast before. 

Inner game of tennis. I typed that post walking by the book and remembered Pete Carroll wrote the foreword as I glanced at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Inner game of tennis. I typed that post walking by the book and remembered Pete Carroll wrote the foreword as I glanced at it.

Nice.  It's harder to get him to listen to stuff nowadays.  ZT was co-written by Bill Scanlon, who is one of the few professional players to win a "golden set."  The other author is a sports psychologist.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

I don't give a fuck who is QB but the results would have been the same with that shit play call 4times at the 1 yard line

What more do you want bro we brought out some DL to help block it but the interior of our line was a mess after Majors went down so WHY WOULDNT WE STUBBORNLY RUN IT?! What the fuck do you want, something EXOTIC like a play action pass or a corner route? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, B00M said:

What more do you want bro we brought out some DL to help block it but the interior of our line was a mess after Majors went down so WHY WOULDNT WE STUBBORNLY RUN IT?! What the fuck do you want, something EXOTIC like a play action pass or a corner route? 

Or the quick slant on 2nd or 3rd instead of on 4th? 

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

That's the entire FUCKING POINT.
200.gif1
God fucking dammit why the fuck does this kid get a fucking pass for everything with you people. He fucked up today. It's okay. We have more games to play. But he was absolutely a huge fucking part of the problem. Jesus fuck. 

The 7 points given up in turnovers early in the game had almost no bearing on the outcome bc the punt block negated them. The game was lost with the poor 4min offense. The defense couldn’t stop ou and we shouldn’t have given them the last possession.

2 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

The 7 points given up in turnovers early in the game had almost no bearing on the outcome bc the punt block negated them. The game was lost with the poor 4min offense. The defense couldn’t stop ou and we shouldn’t have given them the last possession.

I See You Reaction GIF by Whisky.de

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

You blame all your stupidity on being hammered. Maybe you’re just dumb?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The throw to Sanders was fine and he should've hung onto it. Simple as that. The fighting for extra yards was stupid but outside of that he played pretty well.

Personally I don't think Sanders should've been in there.  A healthy Sanders makes that catch.  

• Like 3

the fumble he tried to hard, and it didn’t cost us anything.
first INT was all on QE.

I do not blame Quinn specifically for this loss, but I don’t see how you can say the fumble didn’t cost us anything. We lost by 4 points so every stalled drive or turnover cost us everything, regardless of who or why the turnover happened.

The first pick was definitely on Quinn and set the tone early in the game. The second pick was not on Quinn.

Completion percentage is great, but wins are better. Gabriel went 23-38 and took home the Golden Hat and a 6-0 record.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I thought Quinn balled out today. He's not perfect by any stretch and makes mistakes, some of them pretty boneheaded. He's been lucky with the INTs in many of our other games. But the dude has only played CFB for like 1.5 seasons. I'm very happy with him and this team. I hope and expect him to get better. I'm proud of Quinn and this team. You can't turn the ball over three times and  not punch it in the endzone from the one in four tries and expect to win - I don't blame Quinn - the whole team was off today. We almost did win though and I think we rematch in Arlington and get our revenge. 

Edited by RAMBONE

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I do not blame Quinn specifically for this loss, but I don’t see how you can say the fumble didn’t cost us anything. We lost by 4 points so every stalled drive or turnover cost us everything, regardless of who or why the turnover happened.

The first pick was definitely on Quinn and set the tone early in the game. The second pick was not on Quinn.

Completion percentage is great, but wins are better. Gabriel went 23-38 and took home the Golden Hat and a 6-0 record.

Texas D got a 3 and out and started playing much better for a stretch. QE didn’t lose this game, no way it’s on him. Blame Sark clock management, blame 1st and goal from the 1 idiocy, blame the D, blame the refs, all more important to the loss than QE. 

Colt is leagues better than Quinn.
Honestly I see Quinn playing in Saskatchewan.
I've thought the same about many QB's that have gone on to have long NFL careers...including some starters and Superbowl winners. Does that mean Quinn will do the same? Idk, only time will tell, but if you look at his stats today (take away one INT not really on him and the hard hit that caused the fumble could have been anyone with the ball) you'd think we mudholed the gooners.

23 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The fumble was on a 3rd down so we were punting next play. Ou goes 3 and out and we get the ball at our own 6. We then produce a FG from a 10 play, 67 yard drive. It’s was red zone issue not field position imo. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Have a nice rest of your weekend amigo. 

I'm hoping that OU just flipped the switch for us to take the rest of this season very serious.

UH doesn't deserve what we're going to do to them in a couple weeks.

Lot of football left to play. 

That was the sentiment of many about OU.

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This loss is squarely on Sark and the defense.  4 downs can’t get a yard. And a defense that fucking couldn’t stop anything. 

Yup.

Among many other things, Sark's clock management in leaving them so much time to do what he should have been able to see what was inevitable is fucking beyond belief.  Spin it however you want, it won't change that reality.  

Just completely brain-dead.

Edited by Cajun

Was the 2nd interception even 1% his fault? Should have been a TD. 

Quinn definitely takes some of the blame there. Window was super tight. Throw was high. JT needs to make the play but QE chose a pass with a higher degree of difficulty and didn’t put the ball right on target.

25 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Definitely. The pass was high, but if Sanders catches it cleanly there is a chance for a TD. Sanders was bobbling the ball when the DB hit him, so it had 0 chance for success. 

There's broken brain Quinn (first 3 quarters of Wyoming, first Q against OU), then there's.... normal(?) Quinn?  

Through 6 games, he has the highest QB rating since Colt in 2008.  I had to include only QBs with more than 100 attempts in order to filter out.... Case McCoy in 2012.  Hahaha

This includes 2 top 10 defenses according to FPI and the toughest strength of schedule in college football.  

Zooming out, broken brain Quinn is so frustrating to watch, but mix in normal Quinn and he's damn good.  Very little correlation between strength of the defense and his output- similar numbers against the bad defenses.

22 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Quinn definitely takes some of the blame there. Window was super tight. Throw was high. JT needs to make the play but QE chose a pass with a higher degree of difficulty and didn’t put the ball right on target.

Credit should just go to OU defender. He made a great football play. I'm not going to fault Ewers or Sanders on that play.

• Like 2

i know its not the plan, but i honestly think he should come back next year.  it probably runs off murphy, but i'd guess arch would be ok with waiting one more year.  are there any successful nfl qbs who only played 1.5 seasons in college?  quinn is already good and getting better, what's the rush to get to the nfl?

• Hook 'Em 1

With the NFL, he’s a 2nd round pick at absolute worse just based off arm talent.  
He’s not an elite college QB yet, but neither were 1st round picks Anthony Richardson, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, etc and he’s actually a way better college QB than these guys (just not elite…yet). 
If he comes back next year, he’ll be a top tier QB and top 3 pick like Bryce Young, Stroud, Burrow, Caleb Williams, etc.  

Guess the question is if he’s good with 2nd round money or wants #1 pick money??  I think he’s gone, but would gladly trade him coming back next year for our inaugural SEC season if it means losing M. Murphy (who may not even beat out Arch). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Second-round money is good. He needs seasoning and coaching, and might as well get it while being paid even better.

I mean, assuming the NFL pay would be better than NIL pay, right?

Feeling like the big money boosters/NIL-men would rather see Arch than pay for another year of Ewers.  Probably the difference of 10-2 or 11-1 next year with Ewers and maybe 9-3 while breaking Arch in with that schedule.  

50 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t think there’s many dudes alive that catch that Sanders play for the pick.

The fact that he was bobbling the ball prior to hit, makes any speculation irrelevant. If he cleanly catches it, maybe he holds on 

• Hook 'Em 1

More on Sanders (it hit him in the fucking hands after all) but throw itself could have been about 2-3 inches lower to make an easier catch. It was also a very tight window...but the throw was catchable and didn't hit a bloU defender until it bounced out of JT's hands. The first int was more on Quinn, but Mitchell didn't seem to be running his route with much urgency...and seemed contact shy all day. I'm thinking Mitchell is nursing some sort of minor injury that hopefully is 100% by the time we go to coug high.

One thing, even on Ewers' completions, they are often just a hair off so that the WR can't quite catch it in stride.  There was one yesterday that wasn't and it was a thing of beauty.  Probably nitpicking, but it would be nice if he did that all or most of the time.

I seem to recall a consensus back in the Colt era that he didn't really get going/comfortable until he got hit once (not his shoulder destroyed, but hit after a throw, or on the designated or unplanned scramble).

Ewers seems to need to make a couple of solid completions before he really gets going.  And if those first few passes go incomplete, it's going to be a bit of a struggle for him until they do.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

More on Sanders (it hit him in the fucking hands after all) but throw itself could have been about 2-3 inches lower to make an easier catch. It was also a very tight window...but the throw was catchable and didn't hit a bloU defender until it bounced out of JT's hands. The first int was more on Quinn, but Mitchell didn't seem to be running his route with much urgency...and seemed contact shy all day. I'm thinking Mitchell is nursing some sort of minor injury that hopefully is 100% by the time we go to coug high.

Mitchell is just soft. Paul Wadlington called out his pathetic blocking effort against Rice. He's gotten Worthy blown up a few times.

• Like 1