Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

10 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

It was so high and outside that if Adonai was able to catch it, I'm not convinced he'd be able to get a foot down, without getting pushed out while in the air.  Quinn had to give the receiver a better shot than that.

Yea that angle in particular is tough. He had more time to throw than I thought and really should have done better

11 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I noticed X and JWhitt both running left. Looks like both guys were covered by just one guy after the switch. Quinn doesn’t even turn his head to the left, he just lobs it to AD.

if you slow it down you can see that he slings the ball side arm while leaning back, yet somehow throws the ball off of his front foot, then actually  leaves the ground, and lands on what was his back foot. i can’t explain how a 1.000 rated HS QB who is at the end of his third college season and is being coached by arguably THE premier QB coach in cfb is still making throws like that. i don’t recall seeing a qb with more puzzling footwork in my life.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest

Yup. Teddy Roosevelt had something to say about this situation.

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Flood is going to put that on his guys. A d-lineman leaving his feet or putting his hands up should always end up hard on the ground. 

OL did not have a great game in pass pro. I am not going back to watch it, but I thought Christian Jones really struggled. 

27 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest

Its Tuesday morning.

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

OL did not have a great game in pass pro. I am not going back to watch it, but I thought Christian Jones really struggled. 

He was horrific. 

• Hook 'Em 1

his back foot is completely off the ground as he goes to throw it:

IMG_5652.thumb.jpeg.1bb90480d3021f6eaee38446188a56e7.jpeg

then after he lets it go both feet come off the ground and he rotates his body in the air before landing facing exactly where the ball ended up. i know sark isn’t teaching him to throw like that.

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

the defender is just waiting for either play that gets thrown into the endzone

I do think that if it's a speed out play call there instead of a fade and AD works the defender inside before his cut out it's an easy touchdown. 

but hindsight blah blah blah.

One thing Quinn needs to work on is just needing to dart a football in sometimes. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you slow it down you can see that he slings the ball side arm while leaning back, yet somehow throws the ball off of his front foot, then actually  leaves the ground, and lands on what was his back foot. i can’t explain how a 1.000 rated HS QB who is at the end of his third college season and is being coached by arguably THE premier QB coach in cfb is still making throws like that. i don’t recall seeing a qb with more puzzling footwork in my life.

he's trying to not get his arm swatted and you're talking about footwork. lol

That whole last play is a little fucked.  The optimum outcome would have been AD driving hard toward the back of the end zone (nobody really is mentioning how sort of lackadaisical and sloppy the route is) and then Quinn stepping up into the space he has with the defender flying by him and firing it at the pylon on more of a comeback/inside out kind of route.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not going back to watch that last play. Sure, why don't I go stab a knife in my heart again. It was so much fun the first time.

That said, I think Quinn has the tools to be just as effective as Penix as he matures. He needs to rediscover his fastball. He seems to have fallen in love with his touch passes, and they are great but sometimes you need the heater. He needs to get on the same page with his young receivers next season and work his ass off on the deep ball. Refine his pocket awareness, and for God's sake work on his footwork. Then he'll be elite. He's already very fucking good.

15 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

If you watch the full play you see he’s trying to avoid getting his arm hit.

the way to do that would have been stepping up in the pocket, not doing some weird back foot/front foot hybrid spinning jump toss.

IMG_5657.jpeg

take one step forward, fire the ball at the pylon, go to the national championship.

51 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I noticed X and JWhitt both running left. Looks like both guys were covered by just one guy after the switch. Quinn doesn’t even turn his head to the left, he just lobs it to AD.

AD is considerably better than both of them and he was also in single coverage.  quinn didn’t need to look left. 

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the way to do that would have been stepping up in the pocket, not doing some weird back foot/front foot hybrid spinning jump toss.

IMG_5657.jpeg

take one step forward, fire the ball at the pylon, go to the national championship.

It’s so simple isn’t it? Lol. So why didn’t you start with that instead of footwork? Which is it? How about Campbell not set too early and get beat? 

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I will also say as much as we are all calling for a lower driving pass this guy right here MAY have had some impact on that if Quinn steps up and into it.

f484f257d7a51e1895e537772b0edae8.jpg

You’re right, this dude would have likely picked off a low pass here. But why didn’t Quinn just throw the same lob to AD but aim for the front of him instead of behind where the defender was? 

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

This is it. The play was a fade all the way. It’s almost as if Mitchell were to look back at Ewers earlier than he might have tried to throw it on a line towards the pylon. Ewers was not looking at anyone else. Situational awareness needs to be better between them two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

It’s so simple isn’t it? Lol. So why didn’t you start with that instead of footwork? Which is it? How about Campbell not set too early and get beat? 

sorry for only focusing on one of the glaring mistakes he made on that play. next time i’ll be sure to go over every mistake he makes right off the jump. 

• Fuck You 3

12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The last throw was high and outside away from the DB. Had AD gone up for it instead of keeping his feet on the ground we are all here chest bumping. AD and Worthy have struggled all year fighting for 50/50 balls. It figures that it would be the way we went down.

Part of that was the DB grabbing AD around the neck with his left hand.

image.thumb.png.67713fc4b86a77c24add53c94c5e8339.png

image.thumb.png.5dd5345702ed59c5c7daee996e7af279.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was a pretty simple pitch and catch. DB was way off playing the jump ball fade. QE waited too long and then throw a very low percentage throw. Not even sure where the second guessing is here. It was a poor throw and Penix absolutely makes the necessary play to win that game.

I saw the same thing that the receiver had inside position and a strait throw would have been open.  However the play call was for him to throw a fade to the corner (From Sark I assume).  It is a timing play where if in single coverage he does not read the field, but throws the ball to a spot before the receiver turns around and before the receiver even enters the end zone.  The ball was out before the receiver reached the goal line.

Throw was too outside, but saying he should have thrown a strait dart is not consistent with the play call, even though it would have worked if he had time to read the defense versus throw a timing pass.

18 minutes ago, Levi said:

This is it. The play was a fade all the way. It’s almost as if Mitchell were to look back at Ewers earlier than he might have tried to throw it on a line towards the pylon. Ewers was not looking at anyone else. Situational awareness needs to be better between them two. 

I would bet this is was essentially a 1 man route. If AD was covered 1 on 1, throw the jump ball and give him a shot. I would have preferred to see this taken earlier, so the offense coudl see how Washington was playing him. 

• Like 1

The "fade" at the goal line is the dumbest call you can make, and Sark should have never called that.  As a Pats fan, I have watched Tom Brady throw the fade to Gronk for years and even with two of the greatest ever, it is a dumb call because it works at such a low percentage.  There is an old article on ESPN that talks about the low stats of completing a fade route in the end zone versus all other throws.  

So long, goal-line fade - Why one of the NFL's least efficient passing plays is disappearing - ESPN

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

I saw the same thing that the receiver had inside position and a strait throw would have been open.  However the play call was for him to throw a fade to the corner (From Sark I assume).  It is a timing play where if in single coverage he does not read the field, but throws the ball to a spot before the receiver turns around and before the receiver even enters the end zone.  The ball was out before the receiver reached the goal line.

Throw was too outside, but saying he should have thrown a strait dart is not consistent with the play call, even though it would have worked if he had time to read the defense versus throw a timing pass.

Watching the play again and seeing how (and most importantly when) Mitchell turns, if Quinn fires it at the front pylon there’s no way he adjusts in time to catch it imo. It was a fade all the way. They should’ve talked beforehand about what to do on route if DB kept backpedaling into end zone like that. 

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Without naming names I'll just say it's lame as fuck for posters to jump in here after a tough L and start beating their chest about how "right" they are that the QB who won the Big 12 this year and got us within one play of the national championship game really sucks at football.

first time GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think it's all mental. He seems very calm and relaxed out there, which in general is a good thing. But the focus and urgency needs to be amped up. 

otherwise known as the "IT Factor"

AD Mitchell has made plenty of spectacular catches for us, including in. ig time situations, including last night. you have to give him a chance to catch the ball, especially when he’s 1-on-1 with that much wide open space to throw the ball at. there was a 0.0% chance of him catching that ball. it’s not asking too much for QE at this stage in his career to be able to make competitive throws with even half decent footwork in games like this.

You guys are some clowns clinging on to the one player who played pretty well. Nevermind the fumbling of the football. Nevermind Worthy, once again, not being able to track a ball in the air. Look at J-Whitt for an example of how to attack a 50/50 ball. Nevermind all the got-damned penalties in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Nevermind anybody on that defense being able to make a play on the damn ball in the air. Nevermind no pass rush all damn game and one of the best QBs in the game getting 4 fucking seconds to scan the field. The call was a fucking fade. You drop back and put the ball where you are supposed to and your receiver is supposed to jump up, shield out the DB, and catch the damn ball. AD didn't jump for the ball at all. Instead he tried to be cute and high point the ball while keeping a toe on the ground for the look at how ready I am for the NFL pose. Go get the damn ball bro. He is 6'4. Play like it.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 4

It also not like the ball was uncatchable. That is a 100% a catch if the DB doesn’t scale AD with an arm around his neck and bat the ball down.

Could the throw have been better? Yes. Could AD have used his height and frame better? Yes.

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fico said:

It also not like the ball was uncatchable. That is a 100% a catch if the DB doesn’t scale AD with an arm around his neck and bat the ball down.

Could the throw have been better? Yes. Could AD have used his height and frame better? Yes.

Exactly. This f'in idiot pounding the "he didn't throw a catchable ball" BS in a failed attempt to look smart should just STFU already.

Quinn did a lot for us this year and he's sure to do the same next year as well. The DB interfered with Mitchell and it didn't get called. Mitchell also could have done a better job boxing out. And Sark could have called that play earlier in the 4 downs we had at the end.

We played like horseshit and still had a chance to win the game. It's not on Quinn.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stumbling and fumbling, we still somehow came down to the end game with a solid chance to win. Four downs and 15-20 seconds... I thought for sure we would do it.

Quinn, man... Thank you for a great season. Twelve wins, and the only two losses were literally in the last seconds of those games. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

One day I hope to develop the misguided confidence of those claiming that this is an uncatchable ball.c785d1e4f46f4e3f12e1c1d3adc28f82.jpg

This picture was taken as a textbook example of Defensive Pass Interference, to be included in the 2024 NCAA FOOTBALL RULES, but with a footnote telling officials that it can be ignored if desired.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5

FWIW, PFF has Quinn as the second highest graded player of the entire semifinals, both games. Behind Penix of course.

I’m here to shit on Quinn at all, but the other game didn’t exactly feature Tom Brady vs John Elway.