Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Anyone who isn’t ecstatic at the thought of Quinn returning is a rube. As a freshman, he looked flawless in the RRS. As a sophomore, he lit up Alabama in Tuscaloosa, won a Big 12 title, and was a snap away from playing for a National Title…

As an upperclassman, he’ll easily be a top 5 player in CFB. With a mature O-line, a replenished arsenal at WR, and another year in Sark’s system — he has the potential to go full Penix/Burrow mode.

It’s just the hype - both that surrounding Ewers and people having extremely high expectations for him and of course that surrounding Manning.

Texas lost two games this year, both to sixth year QBs qualified to coach their offensive systems at this point. Consider that, consider the QB carousel this program has experienced in the not so recent past, and it’s incredibly dumb to be calling for Ewers to be pushed out. Experience at QB is extremely valuable. It would be one thing if Ewers was some no talent scrub but that is far from the case. If you want to compete for any kind of championship next season you want him back, period.
  • Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Reading some replies made me think of old times.

Some of us olds can recall when applewhite was the man, and then out of the blue Texas flips Simms from Tennessee.

The next few years the message boards were split. Simms would either drop dimes 30 yards downfield or miss a screen pass. Major was just a baller.

What’s interesting today is nobody really called for manning this season. I don’t know, maybe it’s not similar but to me it is.

Difference between Applewhite/Simms and Ewers/Manning is pedigree. Applewhite was an unheralded 3 star who was supposed to give way to a 5 star. The same dynamic is not at play with 2 elite 5 star QB prospects.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Isolate Mitchell and pre-snap read perhaps? That 4th down play was only going one place.

Yes. It seemed the play was essentially set up to be a 1 on 1 jump ball. Just odd to see someone sitting behind the LOS 20 yards away, when you need a TD

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Difference between Applewhite/Simms and Ewers/Manning is pedigree. Applewhite was an unheralded 3 star who was supposed to give way to a 5 star. The same dynamic is not at play with 2 elite 5 star QB prospects.

Great point there, I didnt recall Major being such a "low" star rating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Great point there, I didnt recall Major being such a "low" star rating. 

Man, I remember his first spring game.  He couldn't hardly hit a post pattern.  His passes were mostly moon shots.  He looked terrible -- people were literally laughing.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

He doesn't have to a top five draft pick to be more than "appreciated." He's the baddest ass QB we've had here in ages and you want the back up.

When did I say I want the backup? I said I hope Sark starts the guy that gives us the best chance to win.  Quinn has a good arm but he struggles a lot with other aspects of being a QB.  He self sacks himself constantly, struggles with progressions and his foot work leaves more to be desired.   I’ll be happy as hell if he comes back.  Also, Quinn has 3 NFL WRs he’s throwing to, with NFL TE, and multiple NFL OL.  Let’s not confuse being a badass with giving your play makers the ball and letting them work their magic in space.  When Quinn takes over a game and wins it for us like Penix just did, let’s come back and talk again.  With that said, Arch is a better fit for what we want to run.  He’s ahead of Quinn with his mechanics, arm strength, pocket presence and release.  He lacks game reps.  Both fantastic quarterbacks, I just think 1 has better tools.  If by the time spring practice ends, and he is better… then Arch should start.  If not, Quinn should.  That’s all I was saying.

Edited by victory88

Quinn played nowhere near well enough to be bummed about the loss. The loss isn’t solely on Quinn, but he needed to have himself a day and he just didn’t it doesn’t matter why. 

Penix played so much better that it would have actually been somewhat wtf had Texas actually won. Their single win condition was for him to dominate and he dominated.

I was at peace with the season when I woke up on the 2nd. The better team won. Texas needing the entire first quarter to wake up cost them the game, Washington came out strong and ready but their intensity waned at the end just as I predicted but they did enough early to pull away. That Jaydon Blue fumble is a huge bummer.  

Do I think Texas has a better overall season with Quinn next year at the helm? Yes. 
Do I think Quinn coming back is good for the next 3 years of Texas? Probably not.

There is a lot to be said about chemistry between young guys together and Arch can develop that now with guys who are going to be stepping up into WR 1/2/3 roles. Quinn will have an almost entirely new cast of people to throw the ball to and then those people will have a new quarterback the year after. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also, Quinn has 3 NFL WRs he’s throwing to, with NFL TE, and multiple NFL OL.

Well, you may be correct about the OL, but man did RT and to some extent RG have rough games against UDub.  They didn't help Quinn's game much at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do I think Texas has a better overall season with Quinn next year at the helm? Yes. 
Do I think Quinn coming back is good for the next 3 years of Texas? Probably not.

There is a lot to be said about chemistry between young guys together and Arch can develop that now with guys who are going to be stepping up into WR 1/2/3 roles. Quinn will have an almost entirely new cast of people to throw the ball to and then those people will have a new quarterback the year after. 

Totally disagree. Timing couldn't be more perfect. Not ideal for Arch to start next year at Ann Arbor, vs. OU, at A&M and Ark, and playing Georgia. Another year as a backup will do him good. We have momentum and don't want to take a step back. 

Watch what happens to Jackson Arnold this year with their brutal schedule. They very well could be staring 7-5 in the face. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

Quinn played nowhere near well enough to be bummed about the loss. The loss isn’t solely on Quinn, but he needed to have himself a day and he just didn’t it doesn’t matter why. 

Penix played so much better that it would have actually been somewhat wtf had Texas actually won. Their single win condition was for him to dominate and he dominated.

I was at peace with the season when I woke up on the 2nd. The better team won. Texas needing the entire first quarter to wake up cost them the game, Washington came out strong and ready but their intensity waned at the end just as I predicted but they did enough early to pull away. That Jaydon Blue fumble is a huge bummer.  

Well said. Quinn has been good, not elite. He’s had flashes. Part of me wonders how ready Manning is or is not. If Manning is truly ready, and is the once in a generation talent many believe, he might play as well or better than Quinn. But the opposite is also true. One more year as a starter may propel Quinn to the elite level, while Manning continues to get ready. Only Sark knows the answer to this. 

I'd take year 3 Sark/Quinn and his potential leap behind that experienced OL and easyish schedule over RSFr Arch. 

Arch should get more PT next year because I could see us blowing out 4 or 5 of the teams on the schedule next year with Quinn back and an improved OL.

RS So/RS Jr Arch, then we'll see what happens with Owens/Lacey/transfer portal.

If Quinn coming back jeopardizes Arch at Texas, then let Quinn go. If Quinn coming back jeopardizes Lacey at Texas, we'll figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He’s ahead of Quinn with his mechanics, arm strength, pocket presence and release.

This is the part I don't get. How do you know this? From his 2/5 passing performance? It's dream-casting. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Arch Manning is not your typical blue chip. We just can't compare him and his situation to other 5 star QBs, which I feel like most people do. 

Money is not an issue. He's not desperate to get to the NFL ASAP. He loves going to school at Texas. He wants to have the whole college experience, like his dad and uncles. We are lucky to have a player that attracts other blue chips but also is willing to wait his turn. Embrace it. Sark knows what he's doing here. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Totally disagree. Timing couldn't be more perfect. Not ideal for Arch to start next year at Ann Arbor, vs. OU, at A&M and Ark, and playing Georgia. Another year as a backup will do him good. We have momentum and don't want to take a step back. 

Watch what happens to Jackson Arnold this year with their brutal schedule. They very well could be staring 7-5 in the face. 

It's like you didn't even read the post. You are agreeing with me not "totally disagree"ing. I'm talking about 3 seasons from now. Quinn coming back wasn't part of the plan and it actually isn't "perfect" timing - it derailed Maalik staying and having a stacked QB room and it delays the chemistry development from a brand new receiving corps and a brand new QB. It's not perfect for anyone and Quinn peaking this year would have been "perfect" timing, because if he did we are playing for a national championship in a few days time. Quinn has development in front of him and he's already at a very incredibly high floor, there's a lot to be excited about with his return, but overall it wasn't part of the plan and he is behind schedule by a full season in most people's minds from a marginal improvement, just elite quarterback at any level. Quinn's ceiling is higher than most NFL quarterbacks who are starting right now in the league.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

It's like you didn't even read the post. You are agreeing with me not "totally disagree"ing. I'm talking about 3 seasons from now. Quinn coming back wasn't part of the plan and it actually isn't "perfect" timing - it derailed Maalik staying and having a stacked QB room and it delays the chemistry development from a brand new receiving corps and a brand new QB. It's not perfect for anyone and Quinn peaking this year would have been "perfect" timing, because if he did we are playing for a national championship in a few days time. Quinn has development in front of him and he's already at a very incredibly high floor, there's a lot to be excited about with his return, but overall it wasn't part of the plan and he is behind schedule by a full season in most people's minds from a marginal improvement, just elite quarterback at any level. Quinn's ceiling is higher than most NFL quarterbacks who are starting right now in the league.

The writing was on the wall for Maalik a year ago. With the new portal rules it will be pretty much impossible to keep 3 good QBs on a roster unless the years are spread out perfectly. Signing Arch derailed MM. 

I think you're putting too much stock in "chemistry development". AD Mitchell walked in and had success right away with Ewers. The chemistry comes from Sark's offense and schemes, not individual players. 

Do people think Arch is only gonna play one full year at Texas in 2025 and then head straight to the NFL? I find that incredibly unlikely. It's not in the Manning DNA to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

Are we really upset by Maalik not staying? Going from Arch and Maalik to Quinn and Arch next year is no fucking brainer trade that we should be ecstatic to get. I don't even understand why we think Maalik would stay just to sit behind Arch even if Quinn leaves. Maalik wanted to play, and he wasn't going to be the starting QB here. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 6

11 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Applewhite also had both knees shredded against the Pigs at the Cotton Bowl.  He rehabbed throughout the year and was limited practicing with the first team - opening the door to Simms who the majority of the reps.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Maalik wanted to play, and he wasn't going to be the starting QB here. 

It certainly seemed he had more development ahead of him to justify sticking around.  Yeah, he has a rocket arm but he needs to learn how to use it.  He's also pretty statuesque.  Duke is a good move for him.

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

So if he completes on extra pass on the last play to AD Mitchell then he should leave for the pros because he wouldve been peaking? I am not sure he is ready even if we won it all this year. He has a lot of question marks that need to be answered before he is going in the first round. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Look, I think you seem to be a great guy and you run a wonderful message board that brings me tons of enjoyment but your football takes aren’t always the best.

As good as Quinn can be, he’s behind schedule. I guarantee he and his family are surprised he’s not preparing to be a 1st round pick in April. Him coming back is a business decision plain and simple. Does he love Texas? I think so. Does he want to win titles? Yeah, I believe so. But his #1 goal has always been getting to the NFL — and he should be going there in 2024 but isn’t.

Maalik was gone the minute Arch signed with Texas. That he got in for any meaningful playing time is remarkable. Seems like a great kid and I wish him nothing but success. We are just fine with where we are. Sark will likely pick up another stud QB in next year’s class, who will be a couple years behind Arch.

And speaking of chemistry, put talent with talent and you’ll get results.

I do agree with you at being at peace with the Sugar Bowl result. I don’t hate Washington. And they beat us plain and simple. They’re easy to root for over Harbaugh. We got the last Big 12 title and won 12 games. We have a solid foundation as we head to SEC.

We’re gonna be just fine at QB.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So if he completes on extra pass on the last play to AD Mitchell then he should leave for the pros because he wouldve been peaking? I am not sure he is ready even if we won it all this year. He has a lot of question marks that need to be answered before he is going in the first round. 

You're getting the cause and effect backwards. He wouldn't have been ready if we made the championship game but if he'd been ready we'd have made the championship game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I were a talented and seasoned QB I’d portal to Iowa. You’d get the spotlight. A first down or a couple of them I could be a fucking hero. Complete a few TDs in a game = guaranteed statue and everything that goes with it. If I portaled there I’d only want a guarantee of a marginally decent OC and good QB coach. Iowa has one of the best defenses in CFB. All they need is a QB and a weapon or two. Make the playoffs. Harbaugh may go to the NFL and Ohio State is vulnerable. I think USC and UCLA may have a tougher overall transition. Nebraska is rebuilding. Penn State can’t get over a certain hill. That’s where I’d go. Or Arizona with their HC on the rise. But he will likely get plucked by another team. 
oh I met up in Florida this past weekend talking with an Iowa fan and they said Ferentz is gone after this year no matter what happens. That’s what they are hearing anyway. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

You're getting the cause and effect backwards. He wouldn't have been ready if we made the championship game but if he'd been ready we'd have made the championship game. 

Right, which would have been awesome for this year. It still wouldn't be better to not have him next season. I don't think Maalik stays regardless.  

This has probably already been discussed but I couldn't help but notice how many passes he had tipped at the line.

It's clear Washington did their homework and knew if nothing else just get in the throwing lanes and you have a good chance to bat the ball down or tip it due to Quinn's lower release point. 

Overall I think Quinn played well enough for us to win if the RBs hold on to the dang ball. That and Washington's defense at the end was fantastic. Quinn had nowhere to go with the ball and even when he did the windows were basically "NFL Open" type windows which are throws most of the shit the NFL trots out there can't make anyway. 

Reminder of Uncle Eli’s career at Ole Miss

E60E908E-D8D4-491B-A269-F2BEB5484E55.thumb.png.a24eca6251e8a5e4423d67d2f2c6e1ae.png

Peyton also was going to sit at Tennessee if not for an injury disaster. Archie Manning had 17 INTs in 10 games his first year as a starter. Both uncles took extra years in college.

I think people are really overblowing the “omg Arch is going to leave if he doesn’t play early” bit based on everything he and his family have said/done to this point. Arch and family know the long term value of development in college and want to make sure he’s set up optimally for long term NFL success.

The Mannings are also, uh, not poor. This is not a first generation D1 athlete trying to get to a pro contract ASAP. If he’s having fun in college and feels like he’s growing as a player working under Sark there’s no reason to rock the boat.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If I were a talented and seasoned QB I’d portal to Iowa. You’d get the spotlight. A first down or a couple of them I could be a fucking hero. Complete a few TDs in a game = guaranteed statue and everything that goes with it. If I portaled there I’d only want a guarantee of a marginally decent OC and good QB coach. Iowa has one of the best defenses in CFB. All they need is a QB and a weapon or two. Make the playoffs. Harbaugh may go to the NFL and Ohio State is vulnerable. I think USC and UCLA may have a tougher overall transition. Nebraska is rebuilding. Penn State can’t get over a certain hill. That’s where I’d go. Or Arizona with their HC on the rise. But he will likely get plucked by another team. 
oh I met up in Florida this past weekend talking with an Iowa fan and they said Ferentz is gone after this year no matter what happens. That’s what they are hearing anyway. 

Iowa!  Yay!  Oh, wait....

210204185358-01-winter-weather-iowa-pile

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s going to return and he’s going to be better than he was this season. the only question is will he be a very good QB (top 10 nationally) or an elite, heisman candidate QB. i have stated that i think that Arch will be better faster than QE, but as you’ve said, only a fool wouldn’t be extremely happy with the prospect of QE returning for another season as the starter.

Wait wait wait. So your contention is Quinn is mediocre, Arch might already be better so they should have an open competition that Quinn might lose, and also Quinn will definitely be a top 10 QB nationally next year and might contend for the Heisman?

How the fuck does that make any sense?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

This is the part I don't get. How do you know this? From his 2/5 passing performance? It's dream-casting. 

From what every scout, reporter, and coach have said.  It's not a stretch to say Arch has better footwork and mechanics and if fact it's true.  Watch the few reps of Arch, how he escapes the pocket while maintaining his body, his sense of pressure and find me 1 clip of Quinin in his 2 years here that shows that.  Quinn's elite trait is that he can make every throw in every arm angle with short and intermediate throws.  His weaknesses are his footwork and his ability to go through progressions.  His deep ball is also very questionable.  Also keep in mind, Quinn has now been in college 3 years.  Arch has had 3 NFL hall of famers coach him up his whole life.  There is a reason Quinn is coming back and it's because he wouldn't even go in the top 5 QBs in this draft.  He's talented but he has a lot of room to improve.  I'm excited he's coming back but I also want what's best for Texas.  I fully expect Quinn to start as Sark likes experienced QBs.  I also think Texas will be a much better offense and lethal when Arch is running Sark's RPO here.

• Like 1

A few days removed from losing to Washington and I’ve never experienced a reaction like this to a loss. Not mad. A little wistful maybe. Naturally, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention my boyfriend’s present to me for my upcoming birthday was tickets to the Championship game in Houston. All the bells and whistles.

Anyway I am oddly at peace. Never ever felt like this before after a loss. Not sure I will watch the game again. But there is so much hope. Something I’ve not had in a long time. 14 years to be exact. We’ve got a lot to do on defense and a lot to do on cleaning up mistakes. I’ve been hard on QE and have explained why and it was warranted. Whether he comes back or not I feel good enough about our team and HC that we can succeed with or without him. I mean this. 

I think QE needs another year in college before he goes pro—most everyone thinks this. he is still very inconsistent. Yes there were drops and fumbles and things that were not his fault this year. But there is a lot he needs to do to have a lengthy pro career. It’s not just about getting that first contract. Unless that is what he’s after. It’s about where you land and it’s about staying healthy. He needs to bulk up more. Be more consistent overall. Sark’s system is complex and about building the best overall QB. That’s what is happening. There are growing pains. Maybe Arch will thrive better or pick it up faster but one more year in this system will make QE the best he can be. Arch is not going anywhere. Think of all the big time teams that don’t have this luxury. We can afford to wait another year. Manning needs more and more reps in practice than he was getting this past year. 

We will be locked and loaded regardless of whether he comes back. We will be dealing with a whole new conference and the adjustments that come from that. If QE does return he will be battle tested by the best defenses in CFB period. Arch is continuing to progress at a rapid rate. QE’s spot is not guaranteed. Mainly because Sark will hold a QB competition. But Arch will get the majority of the reps as a backup which is huge if he doesn’t surpass QE. 

Anyway: TLDR bc it’s a Nicole post. Not sorry if the below has already been posted:

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Look, I think you seem to be a great guy and you run a wonderful message board that brings me tons of enjoyment but your football takes aren’t always the best.

As good as Quinn can be, he’s behind schedule. I guarantee he and his family are surprised he’s not preparing to be a 1st round pick in April. Him coming back is a business decision plain and simple. Does he love Texas? I think so. Does he want to win titles? Yeah, I believe so. But his #1 goal has always been getting to the NFL — and he should be going there in 2024 but isn’t.

Maalik was gone the minute Arch signed with Texas. That he got in for any meaningful playing time is remarkable. Seems like a great kid and I wish him nothing but success. We are just fine with where we are. Sark will likely pick up another stud QB in next year’s class, who will be a couple years behind Arch.

And speaking of chemistry, put talent with talent and you’ll get results.

I do agree with you at being at peace with the Sugar Bowl result. I don’t hate Washington. And they beat us plain and simple. They’re easy to root for over Harbaugh. We got the last Big 12 title and won 12 games. We have a solid foundation as we head to SEC.

We’re gonna be just fine at QB.

my opinions don't carry any more weight than anyone else's and I'm not involved in an on the field role so I don't really mind people having differing opinions, I welcome it - that's what the community is all about. 

my response was a direct rebuttal to a quoted post saying they totally disagreed and then I justified it further on why I thought Quinn coming back derails the coaching staff's plan (fact, not opinion) for the future at that position. They were not at all expecting Quinn back, they will abso fucking lutely accommodate it because it's the best chance to win next season hands down. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

From what every scout, reporter, and coach have said.  It's not a stretch to say Arch has better footwork and mechanics and if fact it's true.  Watch the few reps of Arch, how he escapes the pocket while maintaining his body, his sense of pressure and find me 1 clip of Quinin in his 2 years here that shows that.  Quinn's elite trait is that he can make every throw in every arm angle with short and intermediate throws.  His weaknesses are his footwork and his ability to go through progressions.  His deep ball is also very questionable.  Also keep in mind, Quinn has now been in college 3 years.  Arch has had 3 NFL hall of famers coach him up his whole life.  There is a reason Quinn is coming back and it's because he wouldn't even go in the top 5 QBs in this draft.  He's talented but he has a lot of room to improve.  I'm excited he's coming back but I also want what's best for Texas.  I fully expect Quinn to start as Sark likes experienced QBs.  I also think Texas will be a much better offense and lethal when Arch is running Sark's RPO here.

I dont completely disagree with this. I thought Arch looked decisive in his limited time in the offense and had nice pocket presence. It wasnt enough to make any legitimate statements on his readiness. Lot of QBs can look cool in the pocket with a 40 pts lead. It certainly left me wanting to see more. I still think Quinn is far likelier to be the best option for Texas next year, but I can not say there is not small percentage possibility that Arch would be better. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

my response was a direct rebuttal to a quoted post saying they totally disagreed and then I justified it further on why I thought Quinn coming back derails the coaching staff's plan (fact, not opinion) for the future at that position. They were not at all expecting Quinn back, they will abso fucking lutely accommodate it because it's the best chance to win next season hands down. 

Ok, what was the coaching staff's plan? 

The notion that Quinn coming back next year somehow derails the Texas football master plan for the next 3 years is "interesting".

You know what would help Texas football the most over the next 3 years - winning the title next season. Does Quinn coming back next season give us a better or worse chance of winning it all next year?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Peyton also was going to sit at Tennessee if not for an injury disaster. Archie Manning had 17 INTs in 10 games his first year as a starter. Both uncles took extra years in college.

I think people are really overblowing the “omg Arch is going to leave if he doesn’t play early” bit based on everything he and his family have said/done to this point. Arch and family know the long term value of development in college and want to make sure he’s set up optimally for long term NFL success.

The Mannings are also, uh, not poor. This is not a first generation D1 athlete trying to get to a pro contract ASAP. If he’s having fun in college and feels like he’s growing as a player working under Sark there’s no reason to rock the boat.

I also think people are overblowing the "Manning family plan" for Arch. The CFB world looks nothing like it did in the late 90's. All of his peers (other 5 star QB recruits) would be looking into transferring if it takes them 3 years to land a starting gig. With social media, its hard for him to avoid the narrative that he's being "wasted" on the bench. Do the experiences of his grandfather and uncle matter? Yes. Is Arch an independent being with free will. Also yes.

I'm not predicting that he transfer, nor am I advocating for him to start to avoid a transfer. Only pointing out that this place puts WAY too much on what happened with his uncles.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I am serious. You mentioned Maalik Murphy being "derailed" and messing up the plan. Are you saying the plan was for Murphy to start next season? 

The plan was definitely to have Murphy involved in a major way if not starting next season. It’s very obvious they still wanted him to stay even with Quinn returning.  The staff was is no way shape or form down on Maalik. 

I didn’t say it messed anything up. I said derailed because roster management is really hard in todays landscape and takes a lot more planning than just offering a scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 1

I also think people are overblowing the "Manning family plan" for Arch. The CFB world looks nothing like it did in the late 90's. All of his peers (other 5 star QB recruits) would be looking into transferring if it takes them 3 years to land a starting gig. With social media, its hard for him to avoid the narrative that he's being "wasted" on the bench. Do the experiences of his grandfather and uncle matter? Yes. Is Arch an independent being with free will. Also yes.
I'm not predicting that he transfer, nor am I advocating for him to start to avoid a transfer. Only pointing out that this place puts WAY too much on what happened with his uncles.

a08e73642f137d39cb26e2b719d69fd2.gif

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I am serious. You mentioned Maalik Murphy being "derailed" and messing up the plan. Are you saying the plan was for Murphy to start next season? 

Bruh.

Everyone expected this year to be Quinn's final year in college. Texas was planning for that to be the case. MM and Arch would have competed for QB1 next year or we would have been hoping for Arch to be ready next year. I assume MM doesn't leave this quickly if the narrative and expectation around Quinn staying another year hadn't shifted.

Either way, like he said, you do what it takes to keep Quinn another year as long as it makes sense to do so. Sets us up nicely for a another good run next year. Gives Arch another year to allow his actual game to match or surpass the outsized public expectations of his game too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

If indeed Quinn comes back I just think it's wise to slow down the Arch-should-starts train. Not only would it be a dumb controversy, since Arch hasn't played, it would absolutely suck to be Quinn in that situation, and he frankly doesn't deserve it. And you know Arch hates it too.

Edited by mwaadeeb
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think many of what the “insiders” were telling us was that QE never intended to stay past the 2023 season. He was going pro. Until injuries, inconsistent play and other QBs moving up on the draft board in front of him. He went from being touted as the best or one of the top 3 QBs in college and surely a first round QB to both of those not being the case. Hence why his camp was floating he might come back. Sark and the staff were aware of the QE not coming back for 2024 stuff for a while.

Hell QE all but telegraphed it by the moves he has made since high school. He and his family were probably gobsmacked by the reality that he’s probably 5th QB taken in the draft and first round maybe not a guarantee. And shit I’d take that all day. Because you re likely to go to a better team with better owner, management and head coach. But if you just want the first round notoriety and the big time initial contract then by all means next year he is a shoe in. But I also think he wants a championship and real shot at the Heisman. Neither of those things are guaranteed. I just read a ton of articles and most have QE as late first round or second round pick. I tend to see those as accurate depending on the person writing. 

So most all of us and the staff thought this was QE’s last year. That Arch and possibly Maalik would compete in the spring. Or that Maalik would portal as Arch would be the front runner. No idea. But most people thought QE would be declaring for the draft right now. That’s the truth. 

Edited by Nicole44

I dont completely disagree with this. I thought Arch looked decisive in his limited time in the offense and had nice pocket presence. It wasnt enough to make any legitimate statements on his readiness. Lot of QBs can look cool in the pocket with a 40 pts lead. It certainly left me wanting to see more. I still think Quinn is far likelier to be the best option for Texas next year, but I can not say there is not small percentage possibility that Arch would be better. 

Arch could definitely end up the better QB. It is unlikely he would be better next year; and if the staff thought he would be and wanted to go that route, Ewers would be declaring.

If this was two years ago then sure roll with Arch. Texas has a legitimate SEC championship/playoff run window open into next year and hopefully at least a couple years beyond that though. This goes back to everyone coping with a somewhat underwhelming 2022 by saying “this is the year before the year.” It turns out that was right. I know we’re not used to this as a fan base anymore but the fact is Texas has entered win now mode and decisions need to be made accordingly.

I agree that we definitely should not overblow any of that, but I think where it comes into play is where you alluded to his peers - his last name is the reason we’re having this conversation at all and the reason comparing him to his peers is simply not apples to apples.