Game Week- Alabama

Wulaw Horn

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Was running errands and caught the end of the Greg McElroy segment on The Ticket.  He didn't give Texas much of a chance.  Doesn't think we have the horses for 4 quarters.  But noted he thinks it will be the most studied game film of the year across the country because if anyone is going to have a blueprint on how to Beat Bama it will be Sark (regardless of whether or not our personnel can execute).

fuck that nerd.  I heard it too

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Was running errands and caught the end of the Greg McElroy segment on The Ticket.  He didn't give Texas much of a chance.  Doesn't think we have the horses for 4 quarters.  But noted he thinks it will be the most studied game film of the year across the country because if anyone is going to have a blueprint on how to Beat Bama it will be Sark (regardless of whether or not our personnel can execute).

Was Corby jacking off as he was saying that before bringing the conversation back to Oklahoma like he always does?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In fact, I'd actually argue that the Apple Turnover game IS the right comparison. Year 2 for the new coach, at home, with a young and developing team, but an incomplete team. Playing a national power opponent. Frankly, KSU wins the 1998 title if they don't choke the ATM game that year. They'd have been playing Tennessee and Tennessee didn't have a fucking prayer. KSU chokes that ATM game and then sobs their way into a lowly bowl against young Drew Brees and flunk that test too. It annoyed me then and it annoys me now.

I hadn't thought of it, but yeah... the Apple Turnover game probably is a better comp. Some major differences though:
1. Ricky was gone and this team still has Bijan to ride.
2. Mack's program was feeling a ton of momentum after Ricky's Heisman, Cotton Bowl drubbing of Jackie Sherril and the Simms/Redding class and the national perception was that Texas was on the rise vs. 5-7, lost to Kansas.
3. We weren't nearly as big of an underdog. I can't remember, but we might have even been favored.

Also... say what you will about KSU laying an egg against Purdue in the Alamobowl, but that was an absolute all timer classic football game. One of the best games I ever attended. Me and a buddy were shitfaced and macking on these two insanely hot Purdue girls . That is, until halftime when their parents showed up and we figured out they were still in high school. Not one of my finer moments. Oof.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I hadn't thought of it, but yeah... the Apple Turnover game probably is a better comp. Some major differences though:
1. Ricky was gone and this team still has Bijan to ride.
2. Mack's program was feeling a ton of momentum after Ricky's Heisman, Cotton Bowl drubbing of Jackie Sherril and the Simms/Redding class and the national perception was that Texas was on the rise vs. 5-7, lost to Kansas.
3. We weren't nearly as big of an underdog. I can't remember, but we might have even been favored.

Also... say what you will about KSU laying an egg against Purdue in the Alamobowl, but that was an absolute all timer classic football game. One of the best games I ever attended. Me and a buddy were shitfaced and macking on these two insanely hot Purdue girls . That is, until halftime when their parents showed up and we figured out they were still in high school. Not one of my finer moments. Oof.

I see Mitch was out night putting again.  Did you take Danny Noonan with you this time?

6 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This is where I’m at. All I’ve ever heard about Ewers is that he’s the answer. “HE’S ONE OF THREE PERFECTLY RATED PROSPECTS RAWRR.” I’ve seen nothing from him that says he’s elite. This isn’t SLC vs. Duncanville. He couldn’t separate in camp, looks like he’s never seen a collge strength and conditioning program, and has simply shown me nothing to believe we ought to pin all our hopes to this guy.

I hope like hell he is elite. But it’s a cautious optimism, or perhaps a cautious pessimism.

You sound like a big John Chiles fan.

9 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Model year 61' was when the last H model B-52s were made. Worked on these in the late 90s early 2000s at Minot AFB.

Here is a young Mother Mopar on the right flying on one in 2000 to an air show on the east coast.

We.are.going.to.win
a25c4fb9b8d62bd05782fe06ec288f6d.jpg

Nice aggy yell leader stance, guy.

Re-watched focusing on the defense.  It is really nice to see the DL doing something other than catching blocks. That should help with recruiting.  Burke was better than Ovie on edge play and discipline.  Burke really looks like he has a good feel for the game and what he's supposed to be doing.  Honestly, I would just start him.  He's already large enough to play the role.  He's probably a better football player than Ovie already.  Ford struggled... hopefully he bounces back this week.  He has to play clean.

I think Bama is going to move the ball pretty easily unless our DL has an amazing day getting into the backfield.  Our run defense numbers look great, but ULM didn't really challenge us schematically.  Some of their pass completions just looked too fucking easy.  It's going to be a challenging game to win. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, allrightallrightallright said:

As a hobby, I like to keep an eye on the secondary market for tickets for big UT games (RRS, Longhorn Bowl Games, etc); it seems like the secondary market for UT Bama is interesting.  It's definitely a big game but  prices look to be going down the closer we get to the game.  My read is that alot of ticket holders who wanted to sell, aimed too high early on.  That and the fact that much of the market doesn't think Longhorns have a chance has led to a softer market.  

There also doesn't seem to be an army of Bama fans snapping up tickets.  If I recall correctly, the ND game in 2016 was much more in demand

I think you underestimate how poor bama fans are. I mean that state is absolutely dirt poor. The poverty is probably unimaginable to someone from Austin.

If i hazard a guess, the price of an Austin hotel alone this weekend would put 18% of their state in bankruptcy.   They simply cannot afford to make the trip.  Hell, they can’t even bring their band! And we offered to house them for free! 

we make fun of Louisiana and Arkansas being poors.  They are upper middle class compared to Alabama.  I once made the mistake of driving through the state.  Reminded me of transdanubia in ‘93, but less cultured. 

edit: I just realized   This is probably why their football team does so few OOC games outside the Southeastern United States.  They know their fan base is too poor to travel   

well good on you Bama AD  nice to see you care enough about your fans not to regularly force them into bankruptcy.  

Edited by ONE YARD
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.  Except for with drugs and alcohol.  With drugs and alcohol you always lose.

As Brisket would say, oh you...my sweet summer child.  The things I saw and did would fill epic tomes of woe.  As it stands, I'm done with all that shit and see your point.  But never say "you always lose"...for there is wisdom in even the faintest of victories.  Shit, even the Alabama loss in 2009/10...that was a fucking epic day of days.  My god, I hadn't thought about that day started until just now.  

Anyway, what were we talking about?  Ah yes, parking.  Who needs my permit?  I'll hand it off to you at kickoff.  

21 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I think Bama is going to move the ball pretty easily unless our DL has an amazing day getting into the backfield.  Our run defense numbers look great, but ULM didn't really challenge us schematically.  Some of their pass completions just looked too fucking easy.  It's going to be a challenging game to win. 

Their offense reminds me a lot of 2019-era OUsux, right down to their guard play.  Bryce Young = Jalen Hurts lite, with the same amount of panic (when flushed from the pocket) and locked on his first read, but with a quicker release.  Gibbs = Sermon; McClellan = Brooks; Holden = CeeDee; Burton = Hazelwood. 

I wouldn't be surprised with an eventual box score where Bryce has more yards than his backs, but that assumes the secondary is locked in and not giving cushion.  His intent will be to distribute the ball to the flat and use the WRs to dink and dunk down the field.  

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Re-watched focusing on the defense.  It is really nice to see the DL doing something other than catching blocks. That should help with recruiting.  Burke was better than Ovie on edge play and discipline.  Burke really looks like he has a good feel for the game and what he's supposed to be doing.  Honestly, I would just start him.  He's already large enough to play the role.  He's probably a better football player than Ovie already.  Ford struggled... hopefully he bounces back this week.  He has to play clean.

Our defense looked pretty outstanding against rice last year. ULM = Rice. Rice had completions that looked way too easy last year as well. They looked even easier against Kansas.

It’s difficult to extract anything forward looking for the season due to quality of opponent.

8 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Our defense looked pretty outstanding against rice last year. ULM = Rice. Rice had completions that looked way too easy last year as well. They looked even easier against Kansas.

It’s difficult to extract anything forward looking for the season due to quality of opponent.

Yards per play was 4.9 for Rice last season 4.0 for ULM last week. 

27 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

This has the feel of the '91 Cotton Bowl to me. It's clear were just outmatched man for man. It's ok to admit that. Not saying there isn't an equation that exists that results in Texas winning. It's just very unlikely. 

Really? Before that game we had only lost one game to the eventual #1 team in the country by a slim margin. We were ranked #3 ahead of #4 Miami. The feel you are talking about only came about during the game as we were getting crushed.

24 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

We looked good against Rice with Brockenmeyer starting. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yards per play was 4.9 for Rice last season 4.0 for ULM last week. 

Yards per play was 10 for Texas last season and 6.2 for Texas last week.

Yards per pass was 5.3 for Rice last season and 7.1 for ULM last week.

Reading anything into ULM performance is like using Rice from last year. It doesn’t tell us much.

3 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Reading anything into ULM performance is like using Rice from last year. It doesn’t tell us much.

Then don't bring it up? We aren't talking about the Rice game from last season. We're talking about this team and this weekend's game. 

48 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Now do it minus the 4th quarter. ULM had 150 yds of offense when the 3rd and 4th string went in.

If you can't see that our defense played better than they did against Rice last year then I don' know what to tell you. 

If you think that means anything as it relates to Bama then I don't know what to tell you either.

Teams typically take their biggest leap from games 1 to 2. That is more evident with younger squads. This is obviously a hell of a test but these motherfuckers ain't god.

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

These motherfuckers bleed.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Really? Before that game we had only lost one game to the eventual #1 team in the country by a slim margin. We were ranked #3 ahead of #4 Miami. The feel you are talking about only came about during the game as we were getting crushed.

Yeah we thought we had a chance in that game. Then Chris Samuels got destroyed in the opening kickoff...and it was kind of downhill from there.

This is totally different. I hope the game goes differently as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

I think you underestimate how poor bama fans are. I mean that state is absolutely dirt poor. The poverty is probably unimaginable to someone from Austin.

If i hazard a guess, the price of an Austin hotel alone this weekend would put 18% of their state in bankruptcy.   They simply cannot afford to make the trip.  Hell, they can’t even bring their band! And we offered to house them for free! 

we make fun of Louisiana and Arkansas being poors.  They are upper middle class compared to Alabama.  I once made the mistake of driving through the state.  Reminded me of transdanubia in ‘93, but less cultured. 

edit: I just realized   This is probably why their football team does so few OOC games outside the Southeastern United States.  They know their fan base is too poor to travel   

well good on you Bama AD  nice to see you care enough about your fans not to regularly force them into bankruptcy.  

Having spent time in Alabama for work I can say it really does feel like that Bratislava hotel scene in Eurotrip. I used to toss a handful of quarters at red necks to watch them fight for the winnings.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Zeus said:

Saban acts like he's getting screwed by NIL - while signing a top 5 class every year for the past 10 years..

Saban acts like he's getting screwed by the rules - while switching to a wide open hurry up offense..

The fan base takes after their God (Satan)

TEXAS HATE WEEK

ro-er-clayton-rigsby-ifyou-have-hate-in-

Sure , but PLAY ANGRY.

• Haha 1