Game Week- Alabama

Wulaw Horn

FCB

Spoiler

A few updates before we get to some interesting behind-the-scenes intel leading up to Saturday’s showdown with No. 1 Alabama:

There seems to be some confusion about when Alabama transfer receiver Agiye Hall could be back on the field for Texas following his indefinite suspension nearly a month ago for a series of events that culminated with his Aug. 11 arrest on a misdemeanor criminal mischief charge (after Hall was caught by UT police trying to pry a boot off of his car).

Steve Sarkisian has laid out a series of steps for Hall to earn his way back to being able to contribute to the team on the field. Those steps include showing Hall can be accountable on and off the field and showing he can be a good teammate.

After being completely away from the team for two weeks, Hall was allowed back into team activities just before UT’s opener with Louisiana-Monroe. Hall dressed out for the ULM game and went through warmups but didn’t see the field.

I’m told it’s not likely Hall will see the field during a game for the rest of this month.

“It would probably be October at the earliest,” a source close to the situation told Horns247. “And that’s if he (Hall) keeps doing things the right way. Sark (Sarkisian) is serious about giving him a second chance, but that’s going to be earned.”

So, while Hall might be on the field for warmups Saturday in preparation for Texas’ battle against Hall’s former team, I’m told you won’t see No. 15 on offense on the field during the game.

Kelvin Banks (Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)

On the injury front, there is some concern about freshman left tackle Kelvin Banks’ ankle injury that was aggravated in the second quarter of the Louisiana-Monroe game.

Even though Banks returned to the game after missing only one play and is telling everyone he’s fine, ankle injuries can linger on 300-pound players. I’m hearing Banks is absolutely going to be on the field Saturday, all taped up and ready to go.

But I’m also told the coaches and training staff will keep a close on eye on Banks to make sure he’s not further aggravating the injury.

After just one start, Banks has already become somewhat invaluable to the Longhorns. According to Pro Football Focus, Banks was Texas’ highest-rated offensive lineman with a more-than-acceptable pass-blocking grade of 80.4 and a run-blocking grade of 69.6. Both grades led the team in those categories.

Banks was flagged for a false start in the second quarter and gave up one hurry and one pressure. But the only lineman credited with giving up a sack was fifth-year senior right tackle Christian Jones.

Texas only had 58 offensive plays, and Jones played 55 of those. Banks played only 37 snaps as coaches got him off the field early in the third quarter for redshirt sophomore Andrej Karic, who received a 67.9 pass-blocking grade and a 51.6 run-blocking grade.

Also hearing Daniel Trejo could be UT’s punter this week after a rough first game for Isaac Pearson — both as the punter and after getting benched as the team’s holder (for Hudson Card) after mishandling the snap on a missed 38-yard field goal.

Pearson mishandled the snap on his only punt, resulting in a 15-yard attempt, while Trejo had two punts with an average of 40 yards.

(Photo: Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)

OK, let’s get to the good stuff leading up to Saturday’s game.

I talked to a coach who knows the personnel for both Texas and Alabama (who has been in touch with UT staff), and the coach had some interesting intel on how Saturday’s game could play out.

We’re not going to talk about game-plan specifics, but the coach said Steve Sarkisian “came into the week on fire and has his players big-time believing in the game plan based on his (Sarkisian’s) familiarity with Alabama’s coaching staff tendencies.”

“Hey, I’d tell my players I had the keys to the other team’s vault based on my time there — even if I didn’t,” the coach laughed. “You’ve got to give your players something to believe in and to feel confident about going into a game like this. And if Sark has the players believing the game plan gives them a schematic advantage, they’re going to practice that much harder.”

According to team sources, the practices on Tuesday and Wednesday were a couple of the best so far this year.

“The guys can’t wait for this one,” one team source said. “Who knows how it will go on Saturday, but it feels like the team trusts the plan and senses a big opportunity.”

Again, not getting into game-planning, I was told special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, a master at finding weaknesses in opposing team’s punt units, and Banks’ designated assassins, led by former Bama running back Keilan Robinson, will be ready for the Tide on Saturday.

FYI … Alabama had a punt blocked with 6:44 left in last week’s 55-0 rout of Utah State.

Offensively, the coach said Texas is going to have to mix up the ways it tries to help the O-line deal with Alabama star outside linebacker Will Anderson, who had 17.5 sacks and a nation-leading 34.5 tackles for loss last season.

“Two tight ends, two backs, rolling the pocket - you name it,” the coach said.

Linebacker Will Anderson (Photo: Courtesy of Alabama Athletics)

“You can’t give guys like (Will) Anderson and Dallas Turner the same looks. You’ve gotta constantly mix it up.”

Even though Alabama’s defense has been monstrous against the run, Texas is gonna have to stay patient on the ground, even if Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson get stymied early, the coach said.

“Both Bijan and Roschon are guys who might have carries of 1, 2 or 3 yards and then break one for 21,” the coach said.

“Knowing Sark, he might use the threat of the run to play-action and throw deep on the first drive of the game.”

Defensively, the coach said former TCU coach Gary Patterson began helping with a game plan for the Longhorns against Alabama back in May.

“Let’s see if Texas makes good on Sark’s desire to play more man coverage on the outside, so they can bring a safety down to help stop the run or get some more pressure on Bryce Young,” the coach said.

I said in the Insider last week that sophomore Barryn Sorrell would lead Texas with eight sacks this season, and he went out and got 1.5 in the opener against Louisiana-Monroe.

Linebacker DeMarvion Overshown said he sees a fire in Sorrell that won’t go away anytime soon.

“I’ve been telling people that 88 was going to be a problem this year,” Overshown said of Sorrell. “We went into the portal looking for edges, and he played with that chip on his shoulder.

“He was like, ‘You got me here. We don’t need nobody else here.’ So I just stayed in his ear, telling him, ‘You’re not a young guy here anymore. You’re a guy we’re looking to make big-time plays at big-time moments.’ And that’s exactly what he did.”

Overshown said Sorrell was “pissed” coaches were looking for edge rushers in the portal.

“I was one of the ones telling him, ‘You should be pissed. You should be mad that they’re moving me to edge, because that’s saying something.’

"So, all offseason, all summer and fall camp, he’s had a chip on his shoulder and is out to do some great things. I’m just happy for him.”

11COMMENTS

Each season, you don’t know what kind of character and leadership you have as a team until you hit adversity. Adversity is coming Saturday against No. 1 Alabama.

“I’m ready to see how our team responds to adversity come Saturday,” linebacker DeMarvion Overshown said. “That’s gonna be the big test, and that’s gonna carry out throughout the season. How we respond to adversity this coming Saturday is gonna tell us how our season is gonna go.”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, Cajun isn't here to discuss football or facts. He's briefly left the baseball board simply to drive by here and tell everyone they're all dumbasses for being fans headed into this game. Don't confuse him with data about who is who on the personnel side of things, you're wasting your time. 

Listen to this man!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Holy fuck our punter is Danny Trejo?

he has changed a little from when you last saw him. i think he is slimming up for his next movie - "Machete Kills Again... In Space"

this still was from when the last movie came out:

machete-kills-again-in-space-thumb-1200w

this is him now:

Trejo_Daniel.jpg?width=300

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB

Hide contents

A few updates before we get to some interesting behind-the-scenes intel leading up to Saturday’s showdown with No. 1 Alabama:

There seems to be some confusion about when Alabama transfer receiver Agiye Hall could be back on the field for Texas following his indefinite suspension nearly a month ago for a series of events that culminated with his Aug. 11 arrest on a misdemeanor criminal mischief charge (after Hall was caught by UT police trying to pry a boot off of his car).

Steve Sarkisian has laid out a series of steps for Hall to earn his way back to being able to contribute to the team on the field. Those steps include showing Hall can be accountable on and off the field and showing he can be a good teammate.

After being completely away from the team for two weeks, Hall was allowed back into team activities just before UT’s opener with Louisiana-Monroe. Hall dressed out for the ULM game and went through warmups but didn’t see the field.

I’m told it’s not likely Hall will see the field during a game for the rest of this month.

“It would probably be October at the earliest,” a source close to the situation told Horns247. “And that’s if he (Hall) keeps doing things the right way. Sark (Sarkisian) is serious about giving him a second chance, but that’s going to be earned.”

So, while Hall might be on the field for warmups Saturday in preparation for Texas’ battle against Hall’s former team, I’m told you won’t see No. 15 on offense on the field during the game.

On the injury front, there is some concern about freshman left tackle Kelvin Banks’ ankle injury that was aggravated in the second quarter of the Louisiana-Monroe game.

Even though Banks returned to the game after missing only one play and is telling everyone he’s fine, ankle injuries can linger on 300-pound players. I’m hearing Banks is absolutely going to be on the field Saturday, all taped up and ready to go.

But I’m also told the coaches and training staff will keep a close on eye on Banks to make sure he’s not further aggravating the injury.

After just one start, Banks has already become somewhat invaluable to the Longhorns. According to Pro Football Focus, Banks was Texas’ highest-rated offensive lineman with a more-than-acceptable pass-blocking grade of 80.4 and a run-blocking grade of 69.6. Both grades led the team in those categories.

Banks was flagged for a false start in the second quarter and gave up one hurry and one pressure. But the only lineman credited with giving up a sack was fifth-year senior right tackle Christian Jones.

Texas only had 58 offensive plays, and Jones played 55 of those. Banks played only 37 snaps as coaches got him off the field early in the third quarter for redshirt sophomore Andrej Karic, who received a 67.9 pass-blocking grade and a 51.6 run-blocking grade.

Also hearing Daniel Trejo could be UT’s punter this week after a rough first game for Isaac Pearson — both as the punter and after getting benched as the team’s holder (for Hudson Card) after mishandling the snap on a missed 38-yard field goal.

Pearson mishandled the snap on his only punt, resulting in a 15-yard attempt, while Trejo had two punts with an average of 40 yards.

I talked to a coach who knows the personnel for both Texas and Alabama (who has been in touch with UT staff), and the coach had some interesting intel on how Saturday’s game could play out.

We’re not going to talk about game-plan specifics, but the coach said Steve Sarkisian “came into the week on fire and has his players big-time believing in the game plan based on his (Sarkisian’s) familiarity with Alabama’s coaching staff tendencies.”

“Hey, I’d tell my players I had the keys to the other team’s vault based on my time there — even if I didn’t,” the coach laughed. “You’ve got to give your players something to believe in and to feel confident about going into a game like this. And if Sark has the players believing the game plan gives them a schematic advantage, they’re going to practice that much harder.”

According to team sources, the practices on Tuesday and Wednesday were a couple of the best so far this year.

“The guys can’t wait for this one,” one team source said. “Who knows how it will go on Saturday, but it feels like the team trusts the plan and senses a big opportunity.”

Again, not getting into game-planning, I was told special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, a master at finding weaknesses in opposing team’s punt units, and Banks’ designated assassins, led by former Bama running back Keilan Robinson, will be ready for the Tide on Saturday.

FYI … Alabama had a punt blocked with 6:44 left in last week’s 55-0 rout of Utah State.

Offensively, the coach said Texas is going to have to mix up the ways it tries to help the O-line deal with Alabama star outside linebacker Will Anderson, who had 17.5 sacks and a nation-leading 34.5 tackles for loss last season.

“You can’t give guys like (Will) Anderson and Dallas Turner the same looks. You’ve gotta constantly mix it up.”

Even though Alabama’s defense has been monstrous against the run, Texas is gonna have to stay patient on the ground, even if Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson get stymied early, the coach said.

“Both Bijan and Roschon are guys who might have carries of 1, 2 or 3 yards and then break one for 21,” the coach said.

“Knowing Sark, he might use the threat of the run to play-action and throw deep on the first drive of the game.”

Defensively, the coach said former TCU coach Gary Patterson began helping with a game plan for the Longhorns against Alabama back in May.

“Let’s see if Texas makes good on Sark’s desire to play more man coverage on the outside, so they can bring a safety down to help stop the run or get some more pressure on Bryce Young,” the coach said.

I said in the Insider last week that sophomore Barryn Sorrell would lead Texas with eight sacks this season, and he went out and got 1.5 in the opener against Louisiana-Monroe.

Linebacker DeMarvion Overshown said he sees a fire in Sorrell that won’t go away anytime soon.

“I’ve been telling people that 88 was going to be a problem this year,” Overshown said of Sorrell. “We went into the portal looking for edges, and he played with that chip on his shoulder.

“He was like, ‘You got me here. We don’t need nobody else here.’ So I just stayed in his ear, telling him, ‘You’re not a young guy here anymore. You’re a guy we’re looking to make big-time plays at big-time moments.’ And that’s exactly what he did.”

Overshown said Sorrell was “pissed” coaches were looking for edge rushers in the portal.

“I was one of the ones telling him, ‘You should be pissed. You should be mad that they’re moving me to edge, because that’s saying something.’

"So, all offseason, all summer and fall camp, he’s had a chip on his shoulder and is out to do some great things. I’m just happy for him.”

11COMMENTS

Each season, you don’t know what kind of character and leadership you have as a team until you hit adversity. Adversity is coming Saturday against No. 1 Alabama.

“I’m ready to see how our team responds to adversity come Saturday,” linebacker DeMarvion Overshown said. “That’s gonna be the big test, and that’s gonna carry out throughout the season. How we respond to adversity this coming Saturday is gonna tell us how our season is gonna go.”

iTAmc.GIF?1318992465

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB

Reveal hidden contents

11COMMENTS

Sucks to hear about Hall, wanted to see him get a shot against bama 

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

I didn't know Greg McElroy killed five hookers while at Alabama? Greg McElroy killed five hookers while at Alabama! That's crazy that  Greg McElroy killed five hookers while at Alabama.

Psssssh. McElroy wishes he could kill hookers and get pirates fired like SMU legend Craig James. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, honolulu horn said:

How in the goddamned living fuck can anyone post on this site that they'd rather have Derrick Henry at RB than Ricky Williams or Earl Campbell? That's fucking inexcusable. 

Recency bias + abject stupidity = hot message board takes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

No shleprock. I'm drawing similarities between the two games/teams that will display the talent gap at Texas just like the game in 1991 did. I mean FFS, did you go to Tech? Fucking dense man. 

It is a bad comparison since we did not know we had such a huge talent gap between those two teams. For this game we know we have a talent gap and we also know we have an experience gap. Nothing will be exposed by this game if we get Bama's best game. I was being fictitious in my responses since you used such bad comparison. I think this is more like some of those early Nebraska games when we knew we were over matched but now like then we are hoping to be pleasantly surprised if they take us for granted and the coaching is well above average.

Edited by DanTheHorn

7 minutes ago, BTW said:

I'd just like to point out that the Longhorns are undefeated following the death of a British Monarch ...

1972 (King Henry VIII) 23-10 vs. Miami (FL)

1952 (King George VI) 35-14 vs. LSU

1910 (King Edward VII) 11-6 vs. Southwestern

1901 (Queen Victoria) 32-0 vs. the Houston Athletic Association

That’s all I needed. Mortgage on money line. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, BTW said:

I'd just like to point out that the Longhorns are undefeated following the death of a British Monarch ...

Damn, I completely missed that she had passed

42 minutes ago, BTW said:

You sure about King Henry VIII?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

All week we've been hearing nothing except for how Texas will be blown off the field, doesn't belong in the same sentence with Bama, and is going to embarrass themselves.  Where have we heard that before?  Not SEC ready, blah blah.

Fuck all that. We're 7-1-1 against Bama, and everybody knows that the result of the single game in the loss column was bullshit.  Our decline started with that loss to Bama, and so too did their rise.  Reversal of fortune incoming.  Saban made a goddamn deal with the devil, and it's now time to pay the piper.

We actually have a few things working for us in this matchup that not very many are talking about or are willing to admit.  

Nick Saban is a bitch when it comes to scheduling out of conference road games.  He doesn't play them.  Bama hasn't lost often in the regular season during the Saban era, but when they have, it's been on the road (2013 Auburn; 2014 Ole Miss; 2017 Auburn; 2019 Auburn; 2021 aggy).  We have generally played pretty well against highly ranked teams in recent seasons, especially at home.  LSU in 2019 was electric and we were right there.  This year's Bama is not better than that LSU team. 

When Bama has struggled in the Saban era, it has usually been the result of two things from the other side: talented RBs and TEs in space.  Guess what Texas' two biggest positional advantages in this matchup are?  We will have the best RB and TE on the field this Saturday.  And there is no one better than former Bama OC and our current head coach to scheme and create the type of space required for Bijan and Sanders to be successful.  Our offense is going to operate, and we're going to score.

To prevail on Saturday, we will also need a great game from our defense.  We might get it.  Against ULM last week, I saw something in our defense that I haven't seen in several seasons--our players were routinely in position to make plays and limit offensive gains (the lone exception was Brockmeyer's contribution in trash time that resulted in ULM's only touchdown). The tackling was also much improved from previous seasons.  Sure we're young, but we still have speed and size with playmaking potential.  We actually got pressure (and a few sacks) against ULM in our opener (Bama didn't in theirs), which is something that we were incapable of doing to any team last year.  While high-level and consistent play for 4 quarters on Saturday will be a tall order, the social facilitation of a raucous and hostile DKR should help our defense.

Our biggest weakness against Bama will be our depth.  We're going to have to do more with less.  We'll probably need to get some help with turnovers or on big special teams plays (we successfully did both last week).  But doing so doesn't seem hopelessly out of reach, given the amp and energy of the stadium and spotlight that we'll be dealing with. 

I think that some chinks are visible in Bama's otherwise invincible armor.  Their own fanbase has been expressing some nervousness about their relatively lackluster offensive line performance last week.  Bama is mortal, and we are capable of beating them.  I'm not saying that we'll win... but don't be fucking surprised if we do.  

Fuck Bama and Hook 'em Horns.

This right here, this is a great post. This is what I’m choosing to believe will happen. I mean, I’m not going to be one bit surprised if we lose 49-7 or something like that, but, I also won’t be surprised if we lose by less than the 20 point spread, nor will I be surprised if it’s a 1 score game and those can obviously go either direction. 

I believe Gary Patterson is a defensive scheming wizard and am happy he’s been working on this game plan for 4 months. 

I believe in Sark the offensive play caller and think he will have us ready to go with smart targeted players calls and schemes. I believe in the talent that we have in every room on offense, some of which is day 1 type shit. We are young. They are very good. Anything can happen. It’s not like a Stromg/Watson Swoops led team we are taking out there. We have a punchers chance. 

• Hook 'Em 7

We have nothing to fucking lose this Saturday. Nobody thinks we have a shot, so might as well go out and hit them in the mouth early. The one thing I’m going to focus on is how disciplined this young team will be. It’s going to be a crazy environment and any success on our side will fire the crowd up. Just hope our young players can stay calm and keep their focus on the next play. 

• Hook 'Em 6