Game Week- Alabama

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This is where I’m at. All I’ve ever heard about Ewers is that he’s the answer. “HE’S ONE OF THREE PERFECTLY RATED PROSPECTS RAWRR.” I’ve seen nothing from him that says he’s elite. This isn’t SLC vs. Duncanville. He couldn’t separate in camp, looks like he’s never seen a collge strength and conditioning program, and has simply shown me nothing to believe we ought to pin all our hopes to this guy.

I hope like hell he is elite. But it’s a cautious optimism, or perhaps a cautious pessimism.

Quinn made some elite throws this past Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This is where I’m at. All I’ve ever heard about Ewers is that he’s the answer. “HE’S ONE OF THREE PERFECTLY RATED PROSPECTS RAWRR.” I’ve seen nothing from him that says he’s elite. This isn’t SLC vs. Duncanville. He couldn’t separate in camp, looks like he’s never seen a collge strength and conditioning program, and has simply shown me nothing to believe we ought to pin all our hopes to this guy.

I hope like hell he is elite. But it’s a cautious optimism, or perhaps a cautious pessimism.

He is a teenager and a red shirt freshman. Realistically the expectation of Ewers should be incremental improvement throughout the season.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Will Smith Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

JFC.   It's game 2 and he just threw his first live balls in 2 fucking years.    How many people come straight from HS and are fucking dominant day 1?  Get some perspective.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

for fuck's sake, he's played one game. go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

for fuck's sake, he's played one game. go fuck yourself.

Idiocy like that is so typical for this fanbase.  Trevor Lawrence's first start was game 5 and his first time passing for over 200 yards was game 7.  Caleb Williams didn't take a meaningful snap for OU until the Texas game.  It's not normal for elite QB's to come in after fall camp and start right away much less dominate.  I certainly can't think of one in recent memory that had to start against arguably the top defense in the country game 2 (with an extremely young OL at that).   But if Quinn struggles Saturday no doubt 2/3 of our moronic fanbase will be ready to give up on him.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Idiocy like that is so typical for this fanbase.  Trevor Lawrence's first start was game 5 and his first time passing for over 200 yards was game 7.  Caleb Williams didn't take a meaningful snap for OU until the Texas game.  It's not normal for elite QB's to come in after fall camp and start right away much less dominate.  I certainly can't think of one in recent memory that had to start against arguably the top defense in the country game 2 (with an extremely young OL at that).   But if Quinn struggles Saturday no doubt 2/3 of our moronic fanbase will be ready to give up on him.

Remind me again what position the brain trust wanted to move VY to?

• Like 2

I was bummed we didn’t see Ewers hit on a deep ball, but like others said he had some very impressive throws. The “simple” one where he pump faked in defenders face while running and then tossing to Sanders to his left was awesome. Didn’t seem like much but that had Aaron Rodgers written all over it. Can’t wait to see him again this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Ewers is going to be very successfull at Texas. To address the hand wringing, in the immediate future, we will be stacked with quarterback talent and that's how you become elite at the position. Also, after seeing just a glimpse of Sark's offense working as it should, I understand why elite QBs would want to play here.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I posted earlier that I couldn't believe that we were 20 point dogs at home. Going back to 1975, Texas has NEVER been a bigger home dog. In fact, Texas has been a bigger underdog only 6 times ever, anywhere, in that time frame.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-week-2-odds-texas-largest-home-underdog-since-1975

Texas Largest Underdog Since 1975

Year    Spread    Opponent    Result
1987    +30    Oklahoma (N)    L, 44-9
1998    +24    at Kansas St    L, 48-7
1986    +23    Oklahoma (N)    L, 47-12
2015    +20.5    at Baylor    W, 23-17
1996    +20.5    Nebraska (N)    W, 37-27
1989    +20.5    at Houston    L, 47-9
2022    +20    vs. Alabama    
1993    +20    at Texas A&M    L, 18-9

When looking at the early betting markets, people cannot stop placing bets on the Crimson Tide. According to Action Network betting percentages, 92% of bets and 92% of the handle are on Alabama as 20-point road favorites.

For the public, this will be the first time in over a decade seeing Alabama play in this spot.

In Nick Saban’s first season at Alabama in 2007, the Tide lost a non-conference road game against Florida State, 21-14, as 2.5-point underdogs.

In 2008, 2010 and 2011, Alabama played three more non-conference road games. The Tide went 3-0 SU/ATS.

This week in Austin against Texas, Alabama will play its first non-conference road game since Sept. 10, 2011.

I know that we were 5-7 and lost to fucking Kansas last year, and I went on and on about how impressive Bama is... But I was there for a lot of those games when we were such big underdogs. Many of those Texas teams were just straight up untalented. I have a hard time believing that a team with Bijan, Worthy, Ewers, and Sanders with Sark calling plays can't score enough points to at least keep it close.

92% of the action is on Bama -20? Man I'm glad I quit gambling on football.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dignan said:

I was bummed we didn’t see Ewers hit on a deep ball, but like others said he had some very impressive throws. The “simple” one where he pump faked in defenders face while running and then tossing to Sanders to his left was awesome. Didn’t seem like much but that had Aaron Rodgers written all over it. Can’t wait to see him again this weekend. 

Sark mentioned that a couple of those deep balls involved some route confusion.  Quinn was expecting Worthy to go to a different spot. They weren’t necessarily bad throws. Not all of them anyway.  

The OG Dreamland had only ribs and no sides other than white bread. The only beer I ever saw there was Red Stripe. They didn't do much, but their ribs were legit. The new versions since Big Rufus died try to be more full service. Nothing to write home about. But that first shack on the southside of Tuscaloosa was worth the trip.  

I made the rookie mistake of asking for a menu in there 20 years ago.

51 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I posted earlier that I couldn't believe that we were 20 point dogs at home. Going back to 1975, Texas has NEVER been a bigger home dog. In fact, Texas has been a bigger underdog only 6 times ever, anywhere, in that time frame.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-week-2-odds-texas-largest-home-underdog-since-1975

I know that we were 5-7 and lost to fucking Kansas last year, and I went on and on about how impressive Bama is... But I was there for a lot of those games when we were such big underdogs. Many of those Texas teams were just straight up untalented. I have a hard time believing that a team with Bijan, Worthy, Ewers, and Sanders with Sark calling plays can't score enough points to at least keep it close.

This is an excellent post.

To be devil's advocate, that 1998 KSU game is reasonably analogous to this matchup.  They were an established program with their guys.  We had new coaches and a young QB and a stud RB they keyed on.

The Apple Turnover game ensued.

But the rest of the games fit the profile.

Edited by burdine
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

this is where I am at....For a true freshman in his first start ever that effectively uses a pump fake, and can check down his recievers to get the ball to his TE for a TD???? There are senior QBS starting right now that can not do all that. I would suggest taking some training in getting a perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

Flick may have been unnecessary on the first one but keeping his shoulders turned for a downfield throw clearly held the linebacker in the middle of the field an extra beat or two and in the end could very well have been the reason it was a touchdown. If he turns to step toward that throw immediately the LB is on a sprint to Bijan much earlier. 

Only reason I'm not certain it was the reason for the touchdown is that there's probably an 80% or more chance that the LB whiffs on Robinson in the open field even if he's there in time.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

A1FB55E4-9A08-4D25-9240-5012BFD597E8.thumb.png.7e61c3d507911cbb9845a50f15968527.png

A lot of Alabama box faces--though they may be Texas box faces if Alabama is recruiting Texas kids who can't get into UT like Ole Miss does. Anyway, Impressive from afar but does not meet expectations up close. I hope that's a continuing theme this week.

Most of them seem to have gotten hairstyle tips from Hedwig and the Angry Inch

2014-12-31_1706.png&f=1&nofb=1 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

36 minutes ago, burdine said:

This is an excellent post.

To be devil's advocate, that 1998 KSU game is reasonably analogous to this matchup.  They were an established program with their guys.  We had new coaches and a young QB and a stud RB they keyed on.

The Apple Turnover game ensued.

But the rest of the games fit the profile.

Let's keep the facts straight, even if other writers cannot. The FSU game in 2007 was not a road game for Bama. It was played in Jacksonville and the tickets were split.

The 2008 schedule does not include a road non-con. Bama played Clemson to open the season in Atlanta and the tickets were split. Neutral site. The writer's either being lazy or purposely misleading. It looks like sloth to me.

As to the KSU game being referenced, that was not the Apple Turnover game. The 1998 KSU game was just a complete beatdown from beginning to end and everyone watching CFB at the time could see that one obviously coming. 

Apple Turnover occurred in 1999 in which Applewhite threw 3 picks and had 3 fumbles. It's also the game in which Mack Brown elected to punt to David Allen in the 3rd quarter, with the game close, when our punter was mediocre. The punter, Ryan Long, went out and immediately punted a line drive down the field that outpaced the coverage team by 15 yards. Allen, the best punt returner I've ever seen and maybe still in the NCAA record books for his return prowess, immediately took that punt to the house and the rout was on. Applewhite threw a pick to the house late in the game to ice it. He had no protection all day long and Greg Davis kept feeding him to the wolves while Mack Brown made no efforts to try to shorten the game at home against a superior opponent. Just brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

My bad on getting the Apple Turnover reference incorrect.

I do think 1998 KSU is decent model of how things could go wrong in this game.

That 1998 Texas team was loaded with NFL talent including RB, but had a young QB and had not gelled as a program.

I am not saying it is destined be a repeat just that if Ewers has a bad game then that is a good historical reference game.

Edited by burdine

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

My bad on getting the Apple Turnover reference incorrect.

I do think 1998 KSU is decent model of how things could go wrong in this game.

That 1998 Texas team was loaded with NFL talent including RB, but had a young QB and had not gelled as a program.

I am not saying it is destined be a repeat just that if Ewers has a bad game then that is a good analogue game.

The 1998 game was also the second of back to back top 10 opponents on the road.

I guess 98 KSU is a good example of how a very talented team with a new culture and inexperience at QB can lose big to similar or lesser talent with a completely developed and in place winning culture.

I expect better.

I would rather play Bama with this team than last year's team.

And I like being a big home dog.  That is the exact opposite of situations where Texas has usually underperformed.

Hook'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As to the KSU game being referenced, that was not the Apple Turnover game. The 1998 KSU game was just a complete beatdown from beginning to end and everyone watching CFB at the time could see that one obviously coming. 

That 1998 game was ugly. Like, last year vs. Arkansas ugly. Probably worse. Actually, way worse. Most folks thought Ricky lost the Heisman that day.  

@burdine While there are some similarities regarding QB youth and having a stud RB, it was also Mack's first year vs. Sark's second year. The game was on the road vs. home. We also got beat soundly at UCLA the week before in a revenge game after the prior year's rout 66 debacle that was the nail in Mackovick's coffin. That's an absolutely brutal schedule to play the #6 and #5 ranked teams back to back on the road, especially throwing in the travel distance. And then consider Applewhite wasn't even the starter in camp -- Richard Walton was until he got hurt against UCLA, IIRC. At least Ewers has been getting first team reps in camp and has been in the system for a Spring-Summer-Fall. And he doesn't have Greg Fucking Davis calling plays for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That 1998 game was ugly. Like, last year vs. Arkansas ugly. Probably worse. Actually, way worse. Most folks thought Ricky lost the Heisman that day.  

@burdine While there are some similarities regarding QB youth and having a stud RB, it was also Mack's first year vs. Sark's second year. The game was on the road vs. home. We also got beat soundly at UCLA the week before in a revenge game after the prior year's rout 66 debacle that was the nail in Mackovick's coffin. That's an absolutely brutal schedule to play the #6 and #5 ranked teams back to back on the road, especially throwing in the travel distance. And then consider Applewhite wasn't even the starter in camp -- Richard Walton was until he got hurt against UCLA, IIRC. At least Ewers has been getting first team reps in camp and has been in the system for a Spring-Summer-Fall. And he doesn't have Greg Fucking Davis calling plays for him.

Ha, I like your rosy view of that 1998 game. I think that game was far more ugly than the Arkansas game last year, and that Arkansas game was fucking ugly. I obsessed over that 1998 season and could not see how Texas was going to make a game of it. I mean, I wanted to find a way but just felt despondent. But on game day, I was like, this Mack guy seems like he has his shit together. Just feed Ricky and keep it close and maybe grab a win in the end. Then kickoff. Nope. That game was absolutely dominated in every possible way by KSU and they were emphatic in doing it. 

I remember the aftermath wasn't just people in the media wondering if Ricky was a Heisman contender any longer, it was a uniform chorus for the following week that Ricky Williams was no longer a Heisman candidate. Done. Over. It was infuriating. Anyway, the right answer won in the end. 

I agree as well that I am not sure the KSU 1998 game is a good comp. In fact, I'd actually argue that the Apple Turnover game IS the right comparison. Year 2 for the new coach, at home, with a young and developing team, but an incomplete team. Playing a national power opponent. Frankly, KSU wins the 1998 title if they don't choke the ATM game that year. They'd have been playing Tennessee and Tennessee didn't have a fucking prayer. KSU chokes that ATM game and then sobs their way into a lowly bowl against young Drew Brees and flunk that test too. It annoyed me then and it annoys me now. The 1999 KSU team, accordingly, would have been ranked for more appropriately than they were heading into the Texas game.

KSU 1999 returned an absolute fuckton of talent across the entire roster with numerous guys who would go on to play in the NFL for years. They lost in a rout in a payback game to Nebraska in Lincoln and didn't lose another game. Their average score in their 11 wins was 40-11 and they finished ranked 6th. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Was running errands and caught the end of the Greg McElroy segment on The Ticket.  He didn't give Texas much of a chance.  Doesn't think we have the horses for 4 quarters.  But noted he thinks it will be the most studied game film of the year across the country because if anyone is going to have a blueprint on how to Beat Bama it will be Sark (regardless of whether or not our personnel can execute).

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Was running errands and caught the end of the Greg McElroy segment on The Ticket.  He didn't give Texas much of a chance.  Doesn't think we have the horses for 4 quarters.  But noted he thinks it will be the most studied game film of the year across the country because if anyone is going to have a blueprint on how to Beat Bama it will be Sark (regardless of whether or not our personnel can execute).

He never does..  

• Hook 'Em 1