Lowell Galindo can eat my ass

Fondren & Main

13 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

Fun fact. The Galindos used to be  family acquaintances. We went to their house a few times, I had his email, and we'd email each other occasionally, so I know his email worked. Anyway, our paths led in different directions, and I didn't see him for a few months. At that time, I was raising money for poor kids in Austin, and I thought a tour of LHN studios would make a great auction item. So I emailed Galindo to see if he could arrange a tour, and....no response. I waited a week and followed up with another email, reiterating that this was to help poor kids. No response. I tried one more time, and nothing. He completely ghosted me. This would have taken two minutes of his time to forward my email to the right person, but he just ignored it. Who does that?

meh, maybe not including dick pics could have helped.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was at the game, but rewatched the first half last night. Y'all aren't wrong. They were very bad.

It's hard to describe what it is exactly that makes Galindo so awful. There are probably 30-40 moments in every game that he tries to make sound like Vince in the Rose Bowl. "UTSA is now at the 15 yard line. They were at the 20 yard line before the play began. Now they are at the 15. Just. Absolutely. INCREDIBLE. INCREDIBLE! In. cred. i. ble. Sam, the 15 yard line. I don't think I would believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes."

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I was at the game, but rewatched the first half last night. Y'all aren't wrong. They were very bad.

It's hard to describe what it is exactly that makes Galindo so awful. There are probably 30-40 moments in every game that he tries to make sound like Vince in the Rose Bowl. "UTSA is now at the 15 yard line. They were at the 20 yard line before the play began. Now they are at the 15. Just. Absolutely. INCREDIBLE. INCREDIBLE! In. cred. i. ble. Sam, the 15 yard line. I don't think I would believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes."

It is so funny he fucked up his big potential ESPN Sports Center call/moment in the game by yelling "Bijan Johnson!".  This is the Gus Johnson-ing of PBP announcing.  

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

When you're such a shitty announcer that they have to edit your calls for a highlight package:

Meh, correcting it is the right thing to do.   And fucking up a name when there are 85 guys on each team, meh.   Now disliking him for not shutting up and rooting for the other team...... that is cunty.   

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Meh, correcting it is the right thing to do.   And fucking up a name when there are 85 guys on each team, meh.   Now disliking him for not shutting up and rooting for the other team...... that is cunty.   

the problem is he has to talk all the way through the play and then has to yell the guy's name at the end for good measure. If he'd just shut the fuck up during the play a bit maybe he wouldn't fuck up the most important part.

Can you imagine "hello record book! Ricky Brown runs to the hall of fame!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

He's the best and most recognizable player on the team that signs his checks. Did any announcer ever say Ricky Wilson, Cedric Brown, Colt McCain, Vince York, Earl Carlson? No...Galindo is horribad at this job

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He's the best and most recognizable player on the team that signs his checks. Did any announcer ever say Ricky Wilson, Cedric Brown, Colt McCain, Vince York, Earl Carlson? No...Galindo is horribad at this job

You have never fucked up a name?  Accidentally mistaking a Lucy with a Lisa?  Or a Richard with a Rick?  Also your examples are terrible because there was no York playing QB for Texas getting significant playing time.  There is a Johnson playing RB who gets significant playing time.  

Yeah, he is not great at the job.  But that is mostly because of the endless annoying yammering more so than a mistake with a player's name here and there.  

18 hours ago, dcar00 said:

It is so funny he fucked up his big potential ESPN Sports Center call/moment in the game by yelling "Bijan Johnson!".  This is the Gus Johnson-ing of PBP announcing.  

there is only one Gus Johnson.

...Lowell isn't even a 3 cent version of Gus.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

You have never fucked up a name?  Accidentally mistaking a Lucy with a Lisa?  Or a Richard with a Rick?  Also your examples are terrible because there was no York playing QB for Texas getting significant playing time.  There is a Johnson playing RB who gets significant playing time.  

Yeah, he is not great at the job.  But that is mostly because of the endless annoying yammering more so than a mistake with a player's name here and there.  

Sure, I've screwed up names but I'm not an announcer. It's not my job. I don't prepare all week to speak with Lisa and Rick. Being bad and error-prone should not be the floor of an announcer on the Longhorn Network. Basic competency should be the floor. 

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Sure, I've screwed up names but I'm not an announcer. It's not my job. I don't prepare all week to speak with Lisa and Rick. Being bad and error-prone should not be the floor of an announcer on the Longhorn Network. Basic competency should be the floor. 

Error prone? He screwed up one time in several years.  And his mistake was to mix up the names of two players at the same position who play in the same game for the same team.  This wasn't a systemic issue where he called him Bijan Johnson the entire game but a mistake in the moment.   

Your version of basic competency is perfection.  I supposed those announcers for the USC/Texas game lacked basic competency because they made mistakes as well during the game.   "He's gets it.  He didn't get it! He gets it meaning he got the ball."   I mean basic competency should have lead these amatures to watch their speech right the first time and not feel the need to correct themselves during the broadcast.     That is an equally absurd statement.  

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Error prone? He screwed up one time in several years.  And his mistake was to mix up the names of two players at the same position who play in the same game for the same team.  This wasn't a systemic issue where he called him Bijan Johnson the entire game but a mistake in the moment.   

So I'm not a big Galindo fan, but I thought saying "Bijan Johnson" was an intentional attempt at creating something off of the combo of Johnson and Bijan (Johnson handing the ball off to Bijan off the direct snap). I mean I don't like it or anything, but I feel that is something Galindo would attempt in that situation.

So I'm not a big Galindo fan, but I thought saying "Bijan Johnson" was an intentional attempt at creating something off of the combo of Johnson and Bijan (Johnson handing the ball off to Bijan off the direct snap). I mean I don't like it or anything, but I feel that is something Galindo would attempt in that situation.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Your version of basic competency is perfection.  I supposed those announcers for the USC/Texas game lacked basic competency because they made mistakes as well during the game.   "He's gets it.  He didn't get it! He gets it meaning he got the ball."   I mean basic competency should have lead these amatures to watch their speech right the first time and not feel the need to correct themselves during the broadcast.     That is an equally absurd statement.  

So how many years does one need on a commentating job before they stop doing things like screwing up the most known player's name during a big call? When can we reasonably expect him to go from "eat my ass" awful to just "regular" awful?

Edited by Pam Cummings

Criticism of Galindo isn't about  him mentioning the wrong name, or whether he's a "good guy"--its his high school dorkiness, stupid uninformed  comments, and and perceived homerism for the opposite team. His voice is not pleasing, and that also is important for an announcer. He really does nothing well.

He is compensated for this work, as anyone who does this job should be, but his performance is poor, so why is he in this position? There are innumerable individuals that could do much much better w/o pissing off fans to this extent.

The blame really rests with his superiors.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I considered this too, but decided it would be equally egregious 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:20 PM, Mikey4 said:

Fun fact. The Galindos used to be  family acquaintances. We went to their house a few times, I had his email, and we'd email each other occasionally, so I know his email worked. Anyway, our paths led in different directions, and I didn't see him for a few months. At that time, I was raising money for poor kids in Austin, and I thought a tour of LHN studios would make a great auction item. So I emailed Galindo to see if he could arrange a tour, and....no response. I waited a week and followed up with another email, reiterating that this was to help poor kids. No response. I tried one more time, and nothing. He completely ghosted me. This would have taken two minutes of his time to forward my email to the right person, but he just ignored it. Who does that?

Maybe he just forgot your name.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:15 AM, Beau Vine said:

If beating off at 4am is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Haha 4

While yours truly was announcing a Giddings high school (go Buffs!) football game one Friday night in the 1960s, someone turned in a lost purse to the press box. 
So I did a PSA over the stadium PA….. “Whomever lost a green ladies purse can claim it at the press box”. Of course a lot of smiling faces began to turn in my direction, then evolved into laughter when I repeated  more emphatically, “A GREEN ladies purse was turned into lost & found. Would the owner please come to the press box to claim it.”

so sue me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

He made several bad calls during the game, including down and distance. 

And yes, basic competency for an announcer is to get names and numbers correct. It's not a big deal to have a rare minor mix-up but when it becomes a pattern such that the audience is noticing it, well, that's not good. When that is on top of your style, vocabulary, cadence, tone, and other things not done well it becomes really not good.

5 hours ago, Scholz said:

Have met Galindo on the club baseball circuit in Austin (he used to coach).  He's a good dude.

Hitler liked puppies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

And yes, basic competency for an announcer is to get names and numbers correct. It's not a big deal to have a rare minor mix-up but when it becomes a pattern such that the audience is noticing it, well, that's not good. When that is on top of your style, vocabulary, cadence, tone, and other things not done well it becomes really not good.

Hitler liked puppies.

He liked Eva Braun's puppies

13 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Hitler liked puppies.

Over easy with a side of kraut

20 hours ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, mistakes happen.  But making that mistake on the Heisman candidate is a bit like saying Ricky Applewhite.  I mean, come on.  Bijan ain't new, baby.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:42 PM, Red Five said:

Why does Texas accept his fuckery?

Edited by Horn80
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Why does Texas accept his fuckery?

it almost seemed like LHN was going to be a proving ground for future talent at ESPN, there were multiple women that moved from LHN onto the the bigger stage and this seemed like a good plan.  Having some consistency seemed like a good idea as well, keeping a stable person there, and then cycling out up and coming talent.  That was probably the plan but the fuckery with the execution of the network, the difficulty with it getting to fans and the limited content probably caused them to rethink and start cost cutting.   Having high school content featured would have expanded the appeal and maybe access to showcase and screen additional talent.  

I went back and watched that play.  I think he actually said Johnson's name because he thought Rochon still had the ball.  He just got lost in the play, not surprising he would get lost while trying to come up with his next word salad.  That being said, if the game is on LHN, I always listen to Craig.  10 times out of 10.  Lowell's voice just grates on my last nerves.  I don't even care about the time lag.

Edited by Dr Phil WIth Hair
one more thought I wanted to get it before it died of loneliness

• 2 weeks later...

tim brando was absolutely terrible tonight, and he was still easily more enjoyable to listen to than lowell galindo. easily. while brando constantly fucked up stats, facts, people's names, "easy" trivia answers, etc, he didn't incessantly shout over the entire game, ask interminably long and inane questions, or invent 17 completely retarded nicknames for half the players on the field. brando tonight proved that lowell galindo is the usain bolt of bad announcing. even if the next guy is really, really bad, he's still easily behind lowell galindo.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Craig Way's most recent dump is a better announcer than Galindo

It’s probably 2 inches taller and has twice the personality as Galindo.   Say what you want about that little person but given his lack of stature and very limited abilities as an on air personality that dude has seriously overachieved.  

27 minutes ago, stork642 said:

It’s probably 2 inches taller and has twice the personality as Galindo.   Say what you want about that little person but given his lack of stature and very limited abilities as an on air personality that dude has seriously overachieved.  

Overachieved?  At what?  Being an asswipe?