Texas MidTerm 2022 Early Voting Thread- Oct 24th-Nov.4th

StassneyHorn

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Damn, apparently I get a paper scantron style form, all of a page and a half.  And no props. 

somewhat irked that there’s 9 republicans running unopposed that have technically already won, and state senator only has a R and a L candidate. 

Nobody wanted  to just put their name on the ballot for the straight ticket voters?  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Damn, apparently I get a paper scantron style form, all of a page and a half.  And no props. 

somewhat irked that there’s 9 republicans running unopposed that have technically already won, and state senator only has a R and a L candidate. 

Nobody wanted  to just put their name on the ballot for the straight ticket voters?  

The new Gerrymander locked Democrats out of a lot of races. Also, despite the rapid bluing of WilCo in general, we've got a terrible bench for down ballot races like county commissioners and stuff. 

13 hours ago, Homercles said:

You can bring in a printout or handwritten notes as needed.

Why the fuck in 2022 is not being able to use your phone still a rule? People should be able to use their phones and look up information of candidates as they please at least during early voting (I could get it on voting day when it’s packed). Fucking dumb as shit.

I know I didn’t vote for any of those people for RRISD.

I think in the top 6 races I voted 2 Rs, 2 Ds, and 2 Ls so I’m used to both doing research so I can think for myself being hated by everybody.

I did convince my formerly straight Republican ticket voting wife to vote for a few Democrats for the first time in her life. Thanks in part to Trump I got her to vote Libertarian previously, but I’m particularly pleased that she’s now considering all candidates on the ballot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I walked right in and voted with no line this morning.  The Rube Goldberg put your paper in, take your printout, put your paper back in over here is really fucking stupid.

You realize there is no such thing as digital ballots and that the paper ballot is your actual ballot and the 2nd machine is just a counting machine and your original ballot is kept until after the election in case they need to audit?

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I walked right in and voted with no line this morning.  The Rube Goldberg put your paper in, take your printout, put your paper back in over here is really fucking stupid.

Yeah, and pretty much everyone in the room voting when I went was having the paper jam when they tried to load it.  I can't imagine what that's going to be like on election day when there are lines.

pc-load-letter.gif

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

You realize there is no such thing as digital ballots and that the paper ballot is your actual ballot and the 2nd machine is just a counting machine and your original ballot is kept until after the election in case they need to audit?

Yeah, now.  That's the part that's stupid.

Edited by WBT

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, and pretty much everyone in the room voting when I went was having the paper jam when they tried to load it.  I can't imagine what that's going to be like on election day when there are lines.

Hopefully depress Republican Election Day turnout because the lines are too long.  A man can hope those "traditionalists" don't want to wait 60+ minutes to vote for Greg Abbott. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

pc-load-letter.gif

I clearly read: “paper loaded correctly.” The jam happened upon printing.

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Why the fuck in 2022 is not being able to use your phone still a rule? People should be able to use their phones and look up information of candidates as they please at least during early voting (I could get it on voting day when it’s packed). Fucking dumb as shit.

I think in the top 6 races I voted 2 Rs, 2 Ds, and 2 Ls so I’m used to both doing research so I can think for myself being hated by everybody.

I did convince my formerly straight Republican ticket voting wife to vote for a few Democrats for the first time in her life. Thanks in part to Trump I got her to vote Libertarian previously, but I’m particularly pleased that she’s now considering all candidates on the ballot.

I pulled up Vote411.org on my phone while at the voting machine. Nobody said anything.

Also, I recommend that site to anyone for seeing what elections you'll be voting on and some relevant Q and A from each of the candidates. Useful for the down ballot stuff.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

In comparing the first 4 days of early voting for the largest 30 Texas counties in 2018 and 2022, every county is experiencing lower in-person percentage turnout in 2022. 

Disclaimers:

• I'm not analyzing mail ballots as they have plummeted. New restrictions.
  • I left out Tarrant and Galveston as they appear to not have fully reported.

Results

• Range is a drop of in-person voting from 1.5 to 7.8 points.
  • Dem counties averaged a drop of 4.2 points
  • GOP counties averaged a drop of 4.6 points
  • The 3 lowest drops are Harris, Cameron and Webb
  • The 3 highest drops are Comal, Williamson and Collin

Tells me that at this point, Dem voters likely have more enthusiasm to vote than GOP. Or less unenthusiasm since voting is down across the board. 

Another explanation may be that the GOP is shifting away from early voting and more to election day voting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Voted. No wait, even strolling in at noon.    Took longer to pick up Taco Bell for the kids afterward. 

have now voted twice in my life, 22 years apart and completely opposite party line. 

me and olds at first but while I was at the booth some more my age arrived and then a couple of young girls got announced to the room as first time voters. 

couldn't tell if the older lady near me was serious or being funny with her comment about why do we let kids vote. 

Did not grab a sticker on my way out. 

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In comparing the first 4 days of early voting for the largest 30 Texas counties in 2018 and 2022, every county is experiencing lower in-person percentage turnout in 2022. 

Disclaimers:

• I'm not analyzing mail ballots as they have plummeted. New restrictions.
  • I left out Tarrant and Galveston as they appear to not have fully reported.

Results

• Range is a drop of in-person voting from 1.5 to 7.8 points.
  • Dem counties averaged a drop of 4.2 points
  • GOP counties averaged a drop of 4.6 points
  • The 3 lowest drops are Harris, Cameron and Webb
  • The 3 highest drops are Comal, Williamson and Collin

Tells me that at this point, Dem voters likely have more enthusiasm to vote than GOP. Or less unenthusiasm since voting is down across the board. 

Another explanation may be that the GOP is shifting away from early voting and more to election day voting.

Maybe the party that's been beating the drum about rigged elections killed their own voter's enthusiasm? We can hope...

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

i think it has more to do with the camera than the phone itself

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Voted. No wait, even strolling in at noon.    Took longer to pick up Taco Bell for the kids afterward. 

have now voted twice in my life, 22 years apart and completely opposite party line. 

me and olds at first but while I was at the booth some more my age arrived and then a couple of young girls got announced to the room as first time voters. 

couldn't tell if the older lady near me was serious or being funny with her comment about why do we let kids vote. 

Did not grab a sticker on my way out. 

Bro, you didn't vote in 2020? C'mon man.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Maybe the party that's been beating the drum about rigged elections killed their own voter's enthusiasm? We can hope...

I've read that GOP leaders have long struggled with Trump to stop his comments that mail voting is rigged. There are plenty of GOP olds that vote by mail, and if they're convinced to show up on election day, they may not.

Every local race was determined during the primary. Rs won every local race because there were no Democrats running against them. All I could do was cast votes for statewide offices, they told me who won the local.

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Zero line at Pleasant Hill library in Austin just now. Pretty decent demographic mix of the handful of folks that I saw. But it's south Austin...

Just like the infamous mom I’m sure, minus zero line 

• Haha 2

Voted today……..saw nothing but blue hairs in line, around the polling booths, and working the polls. I’m mid 30’s, but damn tons of olds.

voted for every democrat / libertarian I could find except Sid milller because he supports legalizing weed.  I’d like to see the thing legalized before I’m old so I support republicans who are smart enough to support it as long as it’s not a president / governor / senate race.

Edited by Voldemort86

11 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Could be, Georgia 2.0.   The hardcore guys I know all went and voted already.  Figured they’d just let it ride like usual.  Tells me I’m close if not correct with my Beto prediction. 

On 10/28/2022 at 12:51 AM, TKthunder2 said:

My guess (because I don’t get the phone thing not being allowed as a resource tool) is that the phone is banned so you can’t take pictures of your ballot and show them to someone else to get paid for your vote. I’m not sure if that’s the reason but I can’t think of any other justification for no phone. 

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Voted today……..saw nothing but blue hairs in line, around the polling booths, and working the polls. I’m mid 30’s, but damn tons of olds.

voted for every democrat / libertarian I could find except Sid milller because he supports legalizing weed.  I’d like to see the thing legalized before I’m old so I support republicans who are smart enough to support it as long as it’s not a president / governor / senate race.

You sweet summer child 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Sid Miller? Is this serious? 

Sid Miller's Democratic opponent Susan Hays also supports legalizing weed.  Miller only supports it for medicinal purposes.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/20/sid-miller-susan-hays-texas-agriculture-commissioner-election-2022/

When it comes to keeping agriculture stable, though, Miller’s conservative views are vastly different from Hays’. At the top of Miller’s list is stopping China from buying farmland in the U.S. And Miller does want to expand and fully implement medical cannabis use. His support for cannabis legalization ends with “compassionate use.”

When asked about full legalization, Miller adamantly said, “I’m not for that.”

• Hook 'Em 2

voted for every democrat / libertarian I could find except Sid milller because he supports legalizing weed.

Sid fucking Miller? You need to do more candidate research. He's a Q/Trumper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

Sid fucking Miller? You need to do more candidate research. He's a Q/Trumper.

Posted this to FB:

image.png.59dd00817414cce590c5e3762006d450.png

And this to Twitter:

But you do you...

On 10/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, immamac said:

It’d be great if mail-in ballots received the same due diligence.

13 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

You're banned from this thread now.

Jesus tapdancing Christ 

• Haha 1