Texas MidTerm 2022 Early Voting Thread- Oct 24th-Nov.4th

StassneyHorn

1 hour ago, slorch said:

It’d be great if mail-in ballots received the same due diligence.

My understanding is that signatures are crossed checked, and many folks report their mail in ballots have been rejected on the basis of signing their name slightly differently. What more do you think should be done?

14 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Voted today……..saw nothing but blue hairs in line, around the polling booths, and working the polls. I’m mid 30’s, but damn tons of olds.

voted for every democrat / libertarian I could find except Sid milller because he supports legalizing weed.  I’d like to see the thing legalized before I’m old so I support republicans who are smart enough to support it as long as it’s not a president / governor / senate race.

Did you just imply that Sid Miller is smart?

You are one stupid motherfucker.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Did you just imply that Sid Miller is smart?

You are one stupid motherfucker.

Single issue voters make weird bedfellows with certain candidates. Except he stupidly thinks Sid Miller’s weed stance would get past Dan Patrick. 

Sid Miller could hand me a brick of weed, a trashbag full of edible gummies, and a case of gatorade and I still wouldn't vote him.  I get single issue voting, I've never done it, but I get it.  But voting for statewide office based on an issue that they can't control and the rest of their party would never vote for seems weird.  Like Mike Collier could come out and say, "I think it should be mandatory that every college student in Texas has to attend A&M for at least one semester."  I'd be against that obviously, but wouldn't keep me from voting for him (I did) because I know he doesn't have that authority and the rest of the state wouldn't ever go for it.  

Somebody explain this to me like I'm 5.  This deep into early voting and so many prominent Republicans are still stirring up distrust on mail-in voting.  I do not fucking get that, at all.  At least in Texas, R's mail-in vote far outweigh D's mail-in votes.  I don't get why they want to run the risk of having a couple percent of those people waking up to say, "Meh, fuck it.  Abbott will probably win comfortably, plus looks like rain.  Ain't sending in this corrupted envelope here just so some clerk can switch all my votes over to Beto and Biden."  I mean you get 50,000-100,000 Texas Republicans to think that, that could break more than a few races.  I get the voter turnout shit, I get the dropbox shit, the corrupted machines, etc . I hate it, but I get it.  And I know Trump just says it because it pisses off the GOP establishment and it riles up the truly stupid in his base.  But bashing the mail-in shit this deep into voting is just fucking bizarre to me.  And then to hear Abbott repeat it during his early voting rallies.  And you look at the audience like "It's physically impossible every one of you is gonna drive cross the county, wait in line to vote in person "

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 4

Early voted today. I was very discouraged to see that it was extremely difficult to find information on candidates. 

For example, one Republican candidate for Board of Trustees had been spewing conspiracy theories and Alex Jones, but there were no websites showing it. Similarly, some crazy ass candidates had been harassing Leander City Council meetings but again it was difficult to find this information. 

22 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Voted today……..saw nothing but blue hairs in line, around the polling booths, and working the polls. I’m mid 30’s, but damn tons of olds.

voted for every democrat / libertarian I could find except Sid milller because he supports legalizing weed.  I’d like to see the thing legalized before I’m old so I support republicans who are smart enough to support it as long as it’s not a president / governor / senate race.

Just here to pile on. Sid Miller? Jesus fucking christ, dude.

• Haha 1

If you guys look at the state of Texas’s marijuana program it’s laughably bad. A bunch of gop lawmakers in 2015 passed the worst marijuana bill in history the “compassionate” Texans bill. Where they gave it a fancy name and probably 1 or 2% of Texans who needed their medicine actually got it. 

if he’s for stuff like this https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2022/07/18/texas-ag-commissioner-sid-miller-calls-for-expansion-of-medical-marijuana-  Then he’s not bad in my book.

In order to get to recreational marijuana, we first need to get to full blown medical.

also in Texas if w democrat like Beto says to legalize pot, people just ignore him, but if a republican says it people will actually take his opinion seriously because of the R by his name. We need republicans help on this issue, we need them to get on board for it to work.

Edited by Voldemort86

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Single issue voters make weird bedfellows with certain candidates. Except he stupidly thinks Sid Miller’s weed stance would get past Dan Patrick. 

Maybe he's a dual issue voter - weed and the jesus shot?

• Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

If you guys look at the state of Texas’s marijuana program it’s laughably bad. A bunch of gop lawmakers in 2015 passed the worst marijuana bill in history the “compassionate” Texans bill. Where they gave it a fancy name and probably 1 or 2% of Texans who needed their medicine actually got it. 

if he’s for stuff like this https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2022/07/18/texas-ag-commissioner-sid-miller-calls-for-expansion-of-medical-marijuana-  Then he’s not bad in my book.

In order to get to recreational marijuana, we first need to get to full blown medical.

also in Texas if w democrat like Beto says to legalize pot, people just ignore him, but if a republican says it people will actually take his opinion seriously because of the R by his name. We need republicans help on this issue, we need them to get on board for it to work.

Alcohol lobby is strong.  That and just not popular with the hard core mega church going idiots that vote in R primaries. 

I’m not a pollster, but given the current perceived or actual state of the economy and CRIME, plus the normal mid term cycle, the D’s are gonna get crushed.   Hoping it doesn’t happen, but nothing makes me think worst case scenario doesn’t happen.   

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

You are not wanted in this thread, try “so about that legalization thing”

Edited by StassneyHorn

In comparing the first 4 days of early voting for the largest 30 Texas counties in 2018 and 2022, every county is experiencing lower in-person percentage turnout in 2022. 
Disclaimers:
  • I'm not analyzing mail ballots as they have plummeted. New restrictions.
  • I left out Tarrant and Galveston as they appear to not have fully reported.
Results
  • Range is a drop of in-person voting from 1.5 to 7.8 points.
  • Dem counties averaged a drop of 4.2 points
  • GOP counties averaged a drop of 4.6 points
  • The 3 lowest drops are Harris, Cameron and Webb
  • The 3 highest drops are Comal, Williamson and Collin
Tells me that at this point, Dem voters likely have more enthusiasm to vote than GOP. Or less unenthusiasm since voting is down across the board. 
Another explanation may be that the GOP is shifting away from early voting and more to election day voting.

I would read it as the latter and a problem for democrats

19 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

My understanding is that signatures are crossed checked, and many folks report their mail in ballots have been rejected on the basis of signing their name slightly differently. What more do you think should be done?

Standardization across the country on this subject.

The "states' differences" are like umpires in baseball.  IDGAF about your style or preference of a particular strike zone.  i just want the properly cast ballot to be counted.

The variance across the country bothers me, and yes, Texas has plenty of room for improvement on this front.

37 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I would read it as the latter and a problem for democrats

Don’t disagree. Trying to find Dem bright spots in Texas is a bit of re-arranging-Titanic-deck-chairs. Whether more Dems show up, or fewer republicans, it won’t matter until Texas Dems pose a threat to the gop.

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I’m not a pollster, but given the current perceived or actual state of the economy and CRIME, plus the normal mid term cycle, the D’s are gonna get crushed.   Hoping it doesn’t happen, but nothing makes me think worst case scenario doesn’t happen.   

This is where I am at. Trying not to be on the ledge, but I don't see how the next two years (at least) are good for the nation.

Because of worldwide inflation. When unemployment is at 3.5%. 

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Early voted today. I was very discouraged to see that it was extremely difficult to find information on candidates. 

For example, one Republican candidate for Board of Trustees had been spewing conspiracy theories and Alex Jones, but there were no websites showing it. Similarly, some crazy ass candidates had been harassing Leander City Council meetings but again it was difficult to find this information. 

I posted LISD endorsements in this very thread. 

WilCo Dems recommend/endorse the following in LISD

LISD Place 1 - There is no Democrat endorsed candidate running in place 1, but Mike Sanders is a well financed nutter. Vote Trish Bode

LISD Place 2 - WilCo Dems endorse Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia

LISD Place 5 - WilCo Dems endorse Sade Fashokun

LISD Place 6 - WilCo Dems endorse Francesca Romans

LISD Place 7 - WilCo Dems endorse Joseph Gorordo

All LISD Positions are At-Large, so vote for all

Vote FOR LISD Prop A&B

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Early voting On pace to be poop. Looking/Hoping next week sees more turnout.

What’s a more classic duo than Republicans and voter suppression?

Texans and voter apathy 

• Rage+1 4

Voted at about 2:30 this afternoon at Austin Oaks Church in SW Austin before heading out of town for a while. Waited about five minutes before getting my ID checked and given a ballot. I think there were about 16 machines with all but 3 occupied when it was my turn to vote against every R on the ballot.

No problem with the font on the screen or anything. Double checked the paper ballot, and all was kosher.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

Voted at about 2:30 this afternoon at Austin Oaks Church in SW Austin before heading out of town for a while. Waited about five minutes before getting my ID checked and given a ballot. I think there were about 16 machines with all but 3 occupied when it was my turn to vote against every R on the ballot.

No problem with the font on the screen or anything. Double checked the paper ballot, and all was kosher.

Same here, I missed you by about an hour I guess.  No line when we got there a little after 1pm.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ha, my luck one time I successfully take a decent creeper picture of a MILF's ass...I get spotted by the Sheriff and arrested for voter fraud/intimidation.  

"Nah, you got it all wrong officer...I was taking picture of her ass while she bent over the electronic ballot!"

Well then that's a sex crime, just as bad.  Hands behind your back!

"Okay, like I was thinking as I voted...is there a third option here we're not considering?"  

• Haha 1

wife and i voted at 11am here in Brushy Creek. not a line, but a steady stream of people. all voting machines occupied when we arrived and when we left. 

we made a point to park away from the kooks. apparently they have been causing trouble as the voting officials were talking about it. 

That's depressing. This might be one of the most important elections in our history.  We are perilously close to not being a democracy.  If the Dems can hold onto the senate, they might be able to build a firewall through the judiciary, especially if a conservative supreme dies or retires.  Barring that, it's going to get scary.  Election deniers are going to be in charge of elections in some states FFS. 

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hate the fucking Michael McCaul ads on YouTube about his father being a soldier in the Greatest Generation and what he fought for and how Biden is bad or whatever, and I’m thinking “your dad fought against people that your party now embraces.”

That dumbass is my rep and when he ran after the district was redrawn his first mailer card had a photo of two men, one of which was supposed to be him. I guess. It wasn't labeled. Someone must have finally pointed it out to him because he came out with new mailers eventually. I mean how stupid is it to assume that when a percentage of your district didn't have you as a rep and you (and the old rep) were never around anyway that we would know who you are? Oh, I guess we're supposed to see 'R' vote 'R'. Nope. Nope. Nope. This isn't the vote for Homecoming Court, honeybun, and you have no platform that I support.

22 minutes ago, RabidM said:

That's depressing. This might be one of the most important elections in our history.  We are perilously close to not being a democracy.  If the Dems can hold onto the senate, they might be able to build a firewall through the judiciary, especially if a conservative supreme dies or retires.  Barring that, it's going to get scary.  Election deniers are going to be in charge of elections in some states FFS. 

I really don't understand the drop from the last midterm.

Thru-Sunday early voter comparison of top 14 counties and their percent turnout in '18 to '22. Not good for Dems if Dallas and Travis are having a lower turnout.

358218512_Capture-Copy.thumb.JPG.b6d18dafd10444a2477ddbd70cbc6ae6.JPG

Not only that but Dallas only had a 6% increase in registered voters. Most surrounding counties had pretty big increases. Tarrant at 12%. Collin at 19% and Denton at 22%. Kaufman 29% and Rockwall 26%. People moving from the big city to the ‘burbs?

Statewide was 12%.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think some of it has to be attributed to fatigue.  Most people can only pay attention for so long and once they saw orange man was out of there, things are BACK TO NORMAL!  All good, nothing to see anymore.

And then we die.

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think some of it has to be attributed to fatigue.  Most people can only pay attention for so long and once they saw orange man was out of there, things are BACK TO NORMAL!  All good, nothing to see anymore.

And then we die.

The GOP are experts at keeping their base enraged 24/7.  They don't appear to fatigue much.  Their rage\propaganda machine is frighteningly effective. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think the 2 idiot US senators killing much of the Biden agenda killed so much enthusiasm.  His first year looked like a complete failure to many.  He did get a nice amount of good things done, but by then, the perception damage was done.  Then there are the things out of Biden's control that the GOP has convinced people is Biden's and the Dem's fault... global inflation and globally high gas prices... Biden's fault.  War in Ukraine and Covid caused supply chain issues... Biden's fault.  Hell, many GOP voters blame Biden for all the money printed during the pandemic... even though that happened under Trump.  Fighting the GOP disinformation machine is a herculean task...

49 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If you were to put a gun to my head, I'd guess part of the difference is that most Texas Dems felt like Beto had a legitimate shot at taking down Cruz, which got out the progressive vote. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much enthusiasm this time against Abbott.

Listening to NPR on the road this morning, they said turnout was up in several closer states like Georgia.

57 minutes ago, RabidM said:

The GOP are experts at keeping their base enraged 24/7.  They don't appear to fatigue much.  Their rage\propaganda machine is frighteningly effective. 

It’s easy when they don’t have to expend any energy on new material. They can just play the hits. Guns, taxes, caravans at the border, crime. They don’t care whether any of it is true at any given time or not. They stopped when trump was potus, picked right back up after he lost.  The situation obviously doesn’t change that quickly. 

and the people just eat it up. 

20 hours ago, The Dog said:

wife and i voted at 11am here in Brushy Creek. not a line, but a steady stream of people. all voting machines occupied when we arrived and when we left. 

we made a point to park away from the kooks. apparently they have been causing trouble as the voting officials were talking about it. 

At the Brushy Creek Community Center?  I saw no such thing there.

Target Smart has Texas at 2,959,356 at this point. In 2018, it was 3,565,109

Dems are up slightly from their 2018 numbers (39.8%, up from 39.2%)
GOP way down (45.8%, compared to 52.4%)
Unaffiliated way up (14.4%, compared to 8.3%)

• Hook 'Em 2