Texas MidTerm 2022 Early Voting Thread- Oct 24th-Nov.4th

StassneyHorn

I've told my family that my end of life directive is basically "If machines are keeping me alive, unplug them and let nature take its course." But if it's two weeks before an election, they better have a team of doctors around me doing everything they can to keep me alive until the second Tuesday in November. After that, they can give me a proper Viking funeral.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can someone explain to me why Rs seem to disproportionately vote ON election day as opposed to early?  Why would you put yourself through that?

The olds who want to return to 1950 like it that way. 

Ha. I must have missed you by 10 minutes. I think I walked out at 735 after proudly doing the same as yourself. There were about 8 folks in there with me. Then I saw an Aggy truck pull up next to me also sporting this bumper sticker and my good mood went to shit immediately. 

image.png.007219e88c35b7e68a59a6984bcb43af.png

I’m probably going to regret asking… but what does that mean?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I’m probably going to regret asking… but what does that mean?

It's a revolutionary war flag that has been adopted by the far right as their newest clever way to brand themselves as patriots/freedomists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tree_Flag

Modern usage[edit]

The flag was prominently displayed in the introduction credits to HBO's John Adams miniseries (2008), referring to John Adams' proud, staunch New England identity.

In the 2010s, the flag became appropriated as a religious and political symbol by some conservative and nationalist activists within the United States.[11]

In 2013, the flag was seen at a Million Vet March where it flew behind Sarah Palin in photographs. At the time, commentator Andrew Sullivan discussed the relevance of the flag's appearance, focusing on the connections between the historical message of the flag and its modern usage by political conservatives.[12] In 2015, the Freedom From Religion Foundation demanded the flag's removal from a county courthouse in Arkansas.[13] Also in 2015, the Appeal to Heaven flag and slogan were adopted by a conservative religious movement using the same name.[14] In 2019, Illinois State Representative Chris Miller made a public appearance with the flag to "help focus attention" on a National Day of Prayer.[15] The flag was also flown by Trump supporters and rioters during the 2021 United States Capitol attack.[16] 

• Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Case in point. As I was leaving the rec center, there were about 3 late teen/early 20s girls? I don’t know, young. As they walked by the room where voting was taking place, one of them says, oh I need to remember to vote. Another girl said, yeah I need to do that tonight. 

You can pretty much take all the liberal voting angst in Texas and compact them into these two sentences.  And make sure there is a spanish translation just under it.  Asking young people and mexican americans if they have already voted will drive you insane.

20 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

surprises me that people are more motivated to vote now than 2018. I was champing at the bit, monitoring everything.  I guess the state of panic takes a while to wash over everyone. 

I, for one, am not surprised excising civil rights is kind of a big deal to a free oeople.

In comparing 1st 2 days of early voting from 2018 and 2022, large county voters this year haven't been as motivated to show up.

Top 10 counties (by registered voters)

• total registered voters: 9m
  • voted in person: 668K
  • voted by mail: 163K
  • Pct voted: 9.2%

• total registered voters: 10.1m
  • voted in person: 509K
  • voted by mail: 83K
  • Pct voted: 5.9%

Plenty of time for voters to show up but not a strong start.

Just voted and the one positive of living in a predominantly Republican suburb of Dallas is they sure make it easy to vote.  No lines, took about 10 minutes and I was done.  Didn’t see any Beto signs out front of the polling station but lots of Abbott signs and Vote Republican to keep Texas strong signs or some shit like that.  I wish my vote actually counted as my congressional rep is running against a Libertarian and sadly Abbot, Paxton et all will be re-elected because they have a R next to their name on the ballot.

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In comparing 1st 2 days of early voting from 2018 and 2022, large county voters this year haven't been as motivated to show up.

Top 10 counties (by registered voters)

• total registered voters: 9m
  • voted in person: 668K
  • voted by mail: 163K
  • Pct voted: 9.2%

• total registered voters: 10.1m
  • voted in person: 509K
  • voted by mail: 83K
  • Pct voted: 5.9%

Plenty of time for voters to show up but not a strong start.

I’d wait until after the weekend to see. Especially with the new restrictions cutting mail in ballots bigly

4 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

You can pretty much take all the liberal voting angst in Texas and compact them into these two sentences.  And make sure there is a spanish translation just under it.  Asking young people and mexican americans if they have already voted will drive you insane.

I had a conversation with a kind of friend of mine a few years ago that taught me a couple of things.  #1 People are dumb, and #2, I'm not telling anyone to go vote, ever again.

She never got around to voting about that ridiculous taxi campaign to ban uber and lyft.  I was flabbergasted, because it was incredibly dumb that we were even needing to have the conversation.  Aside, Fuck you Ann Kitchen.  The good side lost that fight, and I was like, but we needed you to vote to keep them around.  And she's like "oh, well I probably would've voted against uber and lyft."  Well, ok then.  I learned not to assume that people are going to make good decisions in the voting booth because of other things you know about them, and as a result, don't encourage anyone to vote.  Also, people are dumb.  Also, I think that might've been the last time I ever talked to her.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I had a conversation with a kind of friend of mine a few years ago that taught me a couple of things.  #1 People are dumb, and #2, I'm not telling anyone to go vote, ever again.

She never got around to voting about that ridiculous taxi campaign to ban uber and lyft.  I was flabbergasted, because it was incredibly dumb that we were even needing to have the conversation.  Aside, Fuck you Ann Kitchen.  The good side lost that fight, and I was like, but we needed you to vote to keep them around.  And she's like "oh, well I probably would've voted against uber and lyft."  Well, ok then.  I learned not to assume that people are going to make good decisions in the voting booth because of other things you know about them, and as a result, don't encourage anyone to vote.  Also, people are dumb.  Also, I think that might've been the last time I ever talked to her.

Unless I know specifically they are voting for Rs (I make it a point to not have friends like that), I'm still going to encourage people to vote.  Even if they somehow ended up voting R, I'd rather have the system actually work the way it is supposed to.  More votes is a good thing.  If we are going to go down in flames, I at least want people to have voted for us to go down in flames.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Unless I know specifically they are voting for Rs (I make it a point to not have friends like that), I'm still going to encourage people to vote.  Even if they somehow ended up voting R, I'd rather have the system actually work the way it is supposed to.  More votes is a good thing.  If we are going to go down in flames, I at least want people to have voted for us to go down in flames.

True enough.  I got a lotta problems with a lotta voters and always have (always low-information voters), but it never occurred to me to burn down the system.

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This. Tired of being a non-voting state 

what kills me is that even with the low voter participation in Texas (exactly what the R's want), the portion of people who DO bother to vote are mostly dumbshits persuaded by dumbshit stuff, who don't actually bother to do any research even if they were capable of it. Dunning Kruger Goes to the Polls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

All you have to do is watch Abbott, Patrick and Paxton commercials to realize how stupid most Texans are.  If that shit actually moves voters then we are truly lost. No one does fear, racism and fake outrage like a Texas republican. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Most Texans think some democrat will show up at their door and confiscate their guns if the democrats were to ever win an election ( not true) and most of them also vote R because their church or the people at their church tell them to do so.

Edited by Voldemort86

21 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Most Texans think some democrat will show up at their door and confiscate their guns if the democrats were to ever win an election ( not true) and most of them also vote R because their church or the people at their church tell them to do so.

Texas Dems have also refused to dispute that the GOP is the party of economic prosperity. Dems are far from perfect but many Dem ideals lead to longer term prosperity.

This is real, in spite of the SoS office saying it's nonsense.  We've fielded several complaints on this.  Seems to be effecting the ES&S machines.  It's not every machine but it's been reported from a variety of counties across the state.    You choose Dems and somehow it reads your vote being cast for the Republican candidate in that race.  Just be careful and double check your machine and the reciept before you turn it in.

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is real, in spite of the SoS office saying it's nonsense.  We've fielded several complaints on this.  Seems to be effecting the ES&S machines.  It's not every machine but it's been reported from a variety of counties across the state.    You choose Dems and somehow it reads your vote being cast for the Republican candidate in that race.  Just be careful and double check your machine and the reciept before you turn it in.

You should most certainly read your ballot before casting it in the final voting machine, it's expected that you do and included in the instructions. 

Your post and that tweet are absolute nonsense. Do not spread disinformation on this site. Voting machines only print out easily auditable ballots. They do not record votes incorrectly.

If your ballot has incorrect candidates listed ask for a new ballot. 

• Hook 'Em 5

52 minutes ago, immamac said:

You should most certainly read your ballot before casting it in the final voting machine, it's expected that you do and included in the instructions. 

Your post and that tweet are absolute nonsense. Do not spread disinformation on this site. Voting machines only print out easily auditable ballots. They do not record votes incorrectly.

If your ballot has incorrect candidates listed ask for a new ballot. 

We voted at the baptist church at Marsh/Royal in North Dallas today. No line whatsoever. I have a question about this, though. Ours was done on a screen where you choose the candidate on each screen and hit "Next." Then at the end, you get a list on the screen of all the votes you cast. Then, once you OK it, you get a scanned "ballot" or form with several bar codes on it. There's no names on it at all. Feed it into the machine and boom.

BTW, Mrs C-Man voted for her first Dems in her life tonight. With our two Beto votes, and the Jeff Tweedy-looking guy next to me who also voted Beto (I admit that I peeked as I was leaving my station), it's 3-0 good guys AFAIK.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

We voted at the baptist church at Marsh/Royal in North Dallas today. No line whatsoever. I have a question about this, though. Ours was done on a screen where you choose the candidate on each screen and hit "Next." Then at the end, you get a list on the screen of all the votes you cast. Then, once you OK it, you get a scanned "ballot" or form with several bar codes on it. There's no names on it at all. Feed it into the machine and boom.

BTW, Mrs C-Man voted for her first Dems in her life tonight. With our two Beto votes, and the Jeff Tweedy-looking guy next to me who also voted Beto (I admit that I peeked as I was leaving my station), it's 3-0 good guys AFAIK.

You didn't turn the ballot over? It's printed on the side that isn't visible to everyone for a reason. 

Voted in Houston yesterday, not much of a line at 4:00pm but it was a pretty high capacity polling location.

99 pages on the touch screen, so thanks for that, Harris County. Felt right to go 77-0* against the party of aggy.

*or whatever it actually was. A lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

3debbf3d56329e1684ecdb00da3f0939.jpg
Beautiful day yesterday. Rode the Patriot Cruiser to my nearest polling location and took care of business.

Don’t know if ballots are the same everywhere but the check boxes are pretty close together so not hard to fat-finger the wrong box. Check your ballot.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TexPx said:

3debbf3d56329e1684ecdb00da3f0939.jpg
Beautiful day yesterday. Rode the Patriot Cruiser to my nearest polling location and took care of business.

Don’t know if ballots are the same everywhere but the check boxes are pretty close together so not hard to fat-finger the wrong box. Check your ballot.

vote aqui? Looks like your precinct is encouraging illegal voting. President Trump or JFK, Jr. needs to put a stop to that.

There are instances where the touch screen if not properly calibrated will register a vote for a candidate unintended.    The machine then does issue a ticket with what it thought your vote was.  Check it.  

It's not widespread, but it has been happening.   

I apologize if it seemed I was spouting some conspiracy bunk.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

For anyone in RRISD who has not voted yet, PLEASE do research on the board candidates and actually vote on those.  The fuckwit clowns in that OneFamily PAC need to be roundly rejected, Walter.  My wife is at district and recommends these folks:

https://accessrrisd.org/our-endorsements/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSPwU6SG3c1jnkixwzcar2jwC1coUoWoYeOIBChRpuXbSbtBkNFQsX7hoCiN4QAvD_BwE

You can bring in a printout or handwritten notes as needed.  I’ve often skipped those items in the past but I am on a mission against this fuckbucket of QAnon, book banning, child beating (Zimmerman), anti-public school asshats.  

Of course my on-the-spectrum neighbor who drove for years with a giant Trump magnet on the back of his Honda pickup is canvassing for those losers like he’s advertising hookers in Vegas, using this dangerous pile of shit

76441210-CA5E-4320-991E-18FB00850A53.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, TexPx said:

I wore my Sombrero and nobody said anything. Blew off my head three times on the ride over.

That took me like 3 times to read that the hat blew off your head and not that you shot yourself in the face 3 times. Though a dead Mexican voting would cause some heart attacks 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

For anyone in RRISD who has not voted yet, PLEASE do research on the board candidates and actually vote on those.  The fuckwit clowns in that OneFamily PAC need to be roundly rejected, Walter.  My wife is at district and recommends these folks:

https://accessrrisd.org/our-endorsements/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSPwU6SG3c1jnkixwzcar2jwC1coUoWoYeOIBChRpuXbSbtBkNFQsX7hoCiN4QAvD_BwE

You can bring in a printout or handwritten notes as needed.  I’ve often skipped those items in the past but I am on a mission against this fuckbucket of QAnon, book banning, child beating (Zimmerman), anti-public school asshats.  

Of course my on-the-spectrum neighbor who drove for years with a giant Trump magnet on the back of his Honda pickup is canvassing for those losers like he’s advertising hookers in Vegas, using this dangerous pile of shit

76441210-CA5E-4320-991E-18FB00850A53.jpeg

This cannot be repeated enough.  Leander is another.  They are full on coming for the school boards all over the state.  

State Board of Education races need to be voted in as well.  

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This cannot be repeated enough.  Leander is another.  They are full on coming for the school boards all over the state.  

State Board of Education races need to be voted in as well.  

WilCo Dems recommend/endorse the following in LISD

LISD Place 1 - There is no Democrat endorsed candidate running in place 1, but Mike Sanders is a well financed nutter. Vote Trish Bode

LISD Place 2 - WilCo Dems endorse Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia

LISD Place 5 - WilCo Dems endorse Sade Fashokun

LISD Place 6 - WilCo Dems endorse Francesca Romans

LISD Place 7 - WilCo Dems endorse Joseph Gorordo

All LISD Positions are At-Large, so vote for all

Vote FOR LISD Prop A&B

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

WilCo Dems recommend/endorse the following in LISD

LISD Place 1 - There is no Democrat endorsed candidate running in place 1, but Mike Sanders is a well financed nutter. Vote Trish Bode

LISD Place 2 - WilCo Dems endorse Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia

LISD Place 5 - WilCo Dems endorse Sade Fashokun

LISD Place 6 - WilCo Dems endorse Francesca Romans

LISD Place 7 - WilCo Dems endorse Joseph Gorordo

All LISD Positions are At-Large, so vote for all

Vote FOR LISD Prop A&B

I watched some of the LISD Candidate Forum to try to get a sense for who the book-burning / mask-fearing / crying-about-CRT nutters were because it's difficult to figure out based on their published statements.  Sanders, who definitely puts out nutjob vibes, made it easy for me by highlighting his buddies.  These tools need to be purged from our school boards.  I did my part.

https://youtu.be/YR7wMxbcK_k?t=957 

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Voted yesterday in Denton. My daughter and I were the only ones I saw under 70. We have paper ballots fed into the machine. The PawPaw in front of us in line for the machine I was pleased to see he had voted in favor of the weed decrim. 

Only a god damned idiot would oppose weed decrim in 2022.