Matt Campbell is a little bitch-made pussy

ztejas

General thoughts:

-I wish he’d shut the fuck up to the refs. Yes, we’re getting comically boned week in and week out, but at this point I think the refs are doing it BECAUSE he’s screaming at them every time. Just shut up. I think the players are buying into some woe is us shit.

-Short of scandal, he’s got 2 more years, minimum, no matter what happens on the field. His job is very safe, and he will have generational wealth in hand when he leaves Ames. Whenever that is.

-Given his track record, I think he’ll figure it out. But I’m seeing signs that he’s bought into his own praise. He’s defensive, flinty, and seems to be digging into his shitty offensive and special team schemes.

• Hook 'Em 5

General thoughts:

-I wish he’d shut the fuck up to the refs. Yes, we’re getting comically boned week in and week out, but at this point I think the refs are doing it BECAUSE he’s screaming at them every time. Just shut up. I think the players are buying into some woe is us shit.

-Short of scandal, he’s got 2 more years, minimum, no matter what happens on the field. His job is very safe, and he will have generational wealth in hand when he leaves Ames. Whenever that is.

-Given his track record, I think he’ll figure it out. But I’m seeing signs that he’s bought into his own praise. He’s defensive, flinty, and seems to be digging into his shitty offensive and special team schemes.

Hope you’re not clinging to the idea that you got “comically boned” in Austin because that would be a load of shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Hope you’re not clinging to the idea that you got “comically boned” in Austin because that would be a load of shit.

You can read my thoughts on that game up thread.  I don’t think we get screwed in that game.

I don’t think we’ve lost any of these games because of the refs.  There were objectively terrible calls that had major impacts in the BU, KU, and OU games

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

General thoughts:

At the margins, the refs won't help you AT ALL if you behave like him. Also, the inability to control your behavior shows lack of discipline to your team. The "move on to the next play" is important mantra to play and live by, and he's showing he isn't capable of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t think we’ve lost any of these games because of the refs.  

Meh, don't be a sap. Adopt this board's fallback. Texas loses the games because of the officiating.

It's one of our favorite excuses that supersedes coaching, execution and all else that really matters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Matt, you're not the only one frustrated 😋

Iowa State football's Matt Campbell 'frustrated' with Cyclones inconsistency

Tue, November 15, 2022 

Alyssa Hertel, Des Moines Register

AMES — Another day, another Iowa State football game, except this Saturday is the final home game for the Cyclones. Matt Campbell’s squad will take on Texas Tech at 6 p.m. before capping the season with an away game at TCU.

This hasn’t exactly been the season Iowa State fans expected. The Cyclones started 3-0 after beating Southeast Missouri, Iowa and Ohio. Things quickly fell apart after that, though, and Iowa State dropped six of its last seven games.

The Cyclones (4-6, 1-6 Big 12) now have two more chances to pick up a fifth win, which could put ISU in conversations for a bowl game. First, Iowa State will need to get through Texas Tech on Saturday, which is also senior day for the Cyclones.

“We’ve got a tremendous opponent,” Campbell said Tuesday. “Senior, veteran football team that’s played really good football at times this year and have got good players. That will be a great challenge for us this Saturday, and obviously, the purpose behind our challenge is strong as well with our senior day.”

Matt Campbell reflected on Iowa State football's upcoming matchup against Texas Tech, which will also be Senior Day for the Cyclones.

What does Matt Campbell expect from Texas Tech?

Iowa State will face off against a Red Raiders (5-5, 3-4 Big 12) team that's been through three different quarterbacks. Donovan Smith has the most experience this year, with time in 10 games. He has 146 completions for 1,505 yards and 12 touchdowns – but has also thrown eight interceptions.

Senior Tyler Shough has played in four games, recording 491 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. Redshirt freshman Behren Morton has 1,117 yards and seven touchdowns but has been picked off six times.

“All those quarterbacks, other than the freshman, have played a ton of football,” Campbell said. “And those guys have done a great job. I do think, systematically, they certainly have a unique system. Their system is set up for balance.

“At the end of the day, the credit has got to go to their coaching staff. To have a new guy in there, you have to have a system that allows that consistency to show up at the quarterback position.”

Matt Campbell frustrated with Iowa State's inconsistency

Iowa State’s head coach noted that, while fans have seen the Cyclones play really good football at times, there's still room for improvement. He took responsibility for some of ISU’s mistakes this season and said that he’s upset with the way this season has turned.

More:Mailbag: Why is Iowa State football losing in 'the margins' it says are so important?

“(As) the head coach, you’re frustrated at yourself, because I know I’ve asked our kids to be purpose-driven and process-driven and I think we’re in a great spot there,” Campbell said. “The outcome, that’s on me, that’s on the head football coach.

“For whatever reason, we’re kind of sputtering in that inconsistency and I haven’t been able to totally get us out of there yet. It’s frustrating.”

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He coulda had a terrible season like this at any number of programs and gotten paid more handsomely for it. 

Yep.

Strike while the iron is hot.

MAybe this is the hubris of anyone who gets to the level of Head football of a P5 school…..

Maybe they all feel like they’re the next Saban.

But everyone has a window.

Get yours while it’s open, because it will close. 

Just now, Dnaguy said:

Yep.

MAybe this is the hubris of anyone who gets to the level of Head football of a P5 school…..

shame.gif.dbc3f2cf9fcc3799c4cbbbbcbea0f3aa.gif

Fuck that dude and his holier than though shtick. He had his window (much like Fleck did) and failed to capitalize on it and now I hope he gets processed out and some other "flavor of the week" "do it the right way" "lunch pail" mother fucker  becomes the folks unicorn of the coaching scene while he gets relegated back to the G5

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Yep.

No matter what happens from this point, the dude will have amassed generational wealth.  Whether he finishes his contract at ISU or gets canned after next season, he’s getting paid extremely well.

You aren’t wrong that he missed the boat in a bigger job, but he would absolutely fail at a blue blood and I think he knows that.

His schtick rings hollow when we’re terrible, but I do think it’s authentic.  ISU is probably his ceiling, and he’ll get several years to turn things back around.  Kirk Ferentz had a 4 win season 3 years after winning the Orange Bowl.  Campbell will have that latitude and more.

I’m not real optimistic that Campbell will reverse course, but I don’t think staying in Ames was a mistake, all things considered.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No matter what happens from this point, the dude will have amassed generational wealth.  Whether he finishes his contract at ISU or gets canned after next season, he’s getting paid extremely well.

You aren’t wrong that he missed the boat in a bigger job, but he would absolutely fail at a blue blood and I think he knows that.

His schtick rings hollow when we’re terrible, but I do think it’s authentic.  ISU is probably his ceiling, and he’ll get several years to turn things back around.  Kirk Ferentz had a 4 win season 3 years after winning the Orange Bowl.  Campbell will have that latitude and more.

I’m not real optimistic that Campbell will reverse course, but I don’t think staying in Ames was a mistake, all things considered.

He will reverse course in the sense that winning 8 games is reversing course. He is too good at putting defenses together for years like this to be the norm. He just recruited the wrong quarterback. 

Meh, don't be a sap. Adopt this board's fallback. Texas loses the games because of the officiating.
It's one of our favorite excuses that supersedes coaching, execution and all else that really matters.
When it comes to the 2015 Okie Lite game (and this years to a lesser degree) that is absolutely correct. We were beating the Poke in every way you can imagine in '15...except when it came to being on the refs good side. This was at DKR as well, so I guess someone pissed on their pregame meal or something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

He will reverse course in the sense that winning 8 games is reversing course. He is too good at putting defenses together for years like this to be the norm. He just recruited the wrong quarterback. 

I’ve noticed this board thinks Dekkers is the issue, but I disagree.  The failure is on the offensive line.  Every game where we’ve exceeded 100 yards rushing, Dekkers has looked good.  Kid has a cannon and can make every throw, but he can’t see the field for shit when under pressure and being forced to generate all of the offense.

We have an almost 5 star QB coming in next year.  I expect him to challenge for the job, but if we have even mediocre offensive line play, we’d have 3 more wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah...

Campbell's new contract goes through the 2028 season so he has a long leash at Iowa State.  Just wonder if his schtick won't get real old in 2 or 3 more years -- " to become the best version of ourselves we can become" 😋

According to the records obtained by the Des Moines Register, Campbell will make $4 million per year over the duration of the contract. Per the USA Today coaching salary database, the $4 million salary would put Campbell fifth in the Big 12 in terms of annual salary, just behind Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy. The new contract also states Campbell would owe Iowa State $4 million if he leaves at any point before the end of the contract, which runs through Dec. 31, 2028.

The new contract is also full of performance-based incentives. If Iowa State wins seven regular-season games, Campbell is owed a $250,000 bonus. The bonus then goes up by $250,000 for each regular-season win. If Iowa State were to win 12 regular-season games in a season, Campbell would be owed a $1.5 million bonus

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

I remember when there was talk about Texas hiring him. Boy did we dodge a bullet. 

pretty much every single coach we thought about hiring since Mack ( except saban) has pretty much been us either getting fucked or dodging a bullet.   even Urban.

we have some ridiculous boosters who keep telling Texas who to hire based on the new hot coaching name instead of the coach who has a proven track record of improving his teams. 

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Your players just aren’t as good as they have been.  Not surprising in a cornfield.  Reversion to the mean. 

We had one of the best defenses in the country.

Our offense has guys with physical talent that spectacularly fucked up on a near constant basis.

Yeah, they ain’t Hall, Purdy, and Kolar, but going 4-8 was inexcusable.  All but two losses were by less than a score.  To me that’s more of a coaching issue than not having the players.