Matt Campbell is a little bitch-made pussy

ztejas

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He probably is.  There's been absolutely no rumors whatsoever of him doing anything inappropriate off the field, and the guys who play for him seem to universally love him.  I know a guy who has worked for ISU football since 2006.  That's McCarney, Chizik, Rhoads, and now Campbell that he's worked for.  He's emphatically said Campbell's the best human of those 4.

He's acting more and more like a bitch during games, and I get why other fanbases would want to dog pile on that (I would if I was a fan of another school) but I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest to me he's a bad person.

No "good guy" reacts like that to a fan. Fuck Campbell.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I’m sure there are more of them, but the only two coaches I can think of who have attempted to fight a fan due to that fan’s comments after a game, in public, are Jimbo Fisher and Matt Campbell. I don’t know why, maybe it is the fact that they are both blowhards, but they really do seem to make sense as each being guys that would do something like that. 

There really is no defense to the behavior. It is laughably inexcusable and speaks to significant personality deficiencies. It’s also glorious. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

As for the missed field goal.

The rule is the football has to be within the uprights to be called good.

If the ball is over either upright it is considered a missed field goal.

That's why the officials stand under the uprights, to give them the best vantage point.

I'm not sure if any part of the ball within the uprights is considered a made field goal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Also, reading through the rest of the thread and some online comments about the missed field goal, the biggest issue seems to be that people don't understand that the entire ball must pass between the uprights if kicked over them. Essentially you can think of a plane that's between the uprights and above the crossbar extending infinitely high. The entire ball must pass through that plane for a successful field goal. If you kick it below the top of the uprights sometimes it bounces off of them through that plane. If you kick it above the uprights there's no chance of that, part of the ball simply passes outside of that plane so it's no good.

• Hook 'Em 6

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sure there are more of them, but the only two coaches I can think of who have attempted to fight a fan due to that fan’s comments after a game, in public, are Jimbo Fisher and Matt Campbell. I don’t know why, maybe it is the fact that they are both blowhards, but they really do seem to make sense as each being guys that would do something like that. 

There really is no defense to the behavior. It is laughably inexcusable and speaks to significant personality deficiencies. It’s also glorious. 

Different sport but Dan Issel tried to fight a fan.  I believe it escalated to where Dan said “have another beer you Mexican”

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Among friends and family I would refer to the Texas - ISU game as the 'Tism Bowl during the Herman tenure, watching him and Campbell tangle was an excruciating watch every time.  Personally I don't know what it is but I cannot stand Campbell even in the limited bits I've seen of him, and it's puzzling to me how he managed to pick up acclaim.  Upsetting teams as an underdog can be done anywhere, anytime, by anyone, it takes belief and passion but it's not the worst place to be in psychologically in sports and particularly in college football.  Having a talented team and getting beat by the Ragin' Cajun and limply conceding defeat in the 4th quarter was enough for me to condemn Campbell as a HC at any serious blue blood.  Being bitch made on the field but coming at fans off the field is exactly what this guy has always been made of, and maybe he just didn't have the delusional self confidence at the start of his tenure to let it show.  He needs a small ish program with low expectations, forgiving sports media and that's the ideal pairing for a guy like this, ditto Herman.

Tommy’s probably too much of a pussy to try to engage physically with a fan. But he did fire back at a heckler in the stands at Cincinnati with shouts of “Go to hell!” and “Get a job!” (I recall reports at the time that this fan was in the student section.)

• Haha 2

On 9/17/2023 at 9:52 AM, Huckleberry said:

Also, reading through the rest of the thread and some online comments about the missed field goal, the biggest issue seems to be that people don't understand that the entire ball must pass between the uprights if kicked over them. Essentially you can think of a plane that's between the uprights and above the crossbar extending infinitely high. The entire ball must pass through that plane for a successful field goal. If you kick it below the top of the uprights sometimes it bounces off of them through that plane. If you kick it above the uprights there's no chance of that, part of the ball simply passes outside of that plane so it's no good.

Actually makes sense if it would’ve been a doink it’s just a doink without the doink. 

i just figured big12 refs fucked up somehow

On 9/17/2023 at 8:25 AM, LTtxfan said:

Controversy Unfolds As Iowa State Appears To Be Robbed Of Game-Tying Field Goal By Referees

The kick certainly looked good upon review.

Screen-Shot-2023-09-16-at-2.19.23-PM.png

Iowa State football lost to Ohio University by three points on Saturday. The Cyclones fell to 1-2 on the year after their roster was decimated by an offseason gambling scandal and then hit by food poisoning earlier this week.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/iowa-state-football-loss-ohio-field-goal-debate-reaction-make-miss-no-good/

They should worry more about the 0 points they had scored in the 52+ minutes before that

I mean, he turned down $60M+ to coach the Lions hoping he'd get a better life opportunity in the college ranks. Now he's blown that chance, as no one's looking to hire the guy after ISU has come back down to earth. So yeah, I guess hearing somebody tell him he's on the hot seat probably rankles him. "I coulda had $60M!!!! MOTHERFUCKERRRRR!!!"

20 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I mean, he turned down $60M+ to coach the Lions hoping he'd get a better life opportunity in the college ranks. Now he's blown that chance, as no one's looking to hire the guy after ISU has come back down to earth. So yeah, I guess hearing somebody tell him he's on the hot seat probably rankles him. "I coulda had $60M!!!! MOTHERFUCKERRRRR!!!"

Maybe $60 million wasn't enough to live in Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I always wondered how much of Campbell’s success was due to the three man defensive front scheme that he used to positive effect. It’s seemed to work well for awhile but then teams started figuring out how to attack it better. Many coaches win due to some sort of gimmick. 

I always wondered how much of Campbell’s success was due to the three man defensive front scheme that he used to positive effect. It’s seemed to work well for awhile but then teams started figuring out how to attack it better. Many coaches win due to some sort of gimmick. 

Defense is still pretty good.

Early in his career he would adjust the offensive scheme to fit his talent, and now he’s stubbornly insisting on “his” offense even when it no longer works. Our special teams cost us a lot of games too. They were better earlier in his tenure too.

He just really started to believe he was the smartest guy in every room and lost his self critique. This is what happens with too many yes men.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

Maybe $60 million wasn't enough to live in Detroit.

He will, perhaps, often reflect back on the merits of that choice from his office at West Bumfuck University after he and his 5-star culture are invited to “pursue other opportunities” away from Ames, fucking, Iowa. 

• Hook 'Em 2

[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] what is the record stay off the hotseat level for CMC this year? Looks like he does have some hope with 3 relatively easy games of oSu, @ Cincy, and @ Baylor but 2 of them being on the road is tough and 4-8 with those wins wouldn't be considered good enough right?

He could lose out and not be on the hot seat with our AD. I think he needs to win 5 to keep fans engaged.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:25 AM, LTtxfan said:

Controversy Unfolds As Iowa State Appears To Be Robbed Of Game-Tying Field Goal By Referees

The kick certainly looked good upon review.

Screen-Shot-2023-09-16-at-2.19.23-PM.png

Iowa State football lost to Ohio University by three points on Saturday. The Cyclones fell to 1-2 on the year after their roster was decimated by an offseason gambling scandal and then hit by food poisoning earlier this week.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/iowa-state-football-loss-ohio-field-goal-debate-reaction-make-miss-no-good/

So basically the only evidence we have are the two angles shown in the game broadcast, neither of which appear to show a made field goal. Just because you can isolate a frame taken from after the ball passed the uprights that makes it appear between the uprights doesn’t mean it ever passed between the uprights. I missed the kick during the game. Looking at the video evidence, I’m satisfied it was the right call.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I've seen no video or photographic evidence that that FG was good. 

I've always wondered why we don't have goalpost cameras like we do pylon cameras. Put an infared laser pointing straight up on that fucker too just for the hell of it. 

Yeah. it's crap that they haven't done that. Had the same thing happen vs Kentucky in 2018, snapped a streak of 20 straight made field goals.

17 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The screenshot actually confirms the ball was not fully inside the uprights. The issues seems to be most fans don’t know the ball has to be within the uprights even of above the uprights 

I think that screenshot is from behind the goalposts with the other goalpost to the right side. 

On 9/18/2023 at 3:14 PM, Dbeasy said:

I'm no isu fan, but the defensive changes they brought to the conference were hardly a gimmick - they changed the league.

45 minutes ago, bbq chips said:

I'm no isu fan, but the defensive changes they brought to the conference were hardly a gimmick - they changed the league.

I’m using the word “gimmick” probably too liberally. A better term would be a change that was a major element of the coach’s success. I don’t mean to minimize the importance of the change. 

Mack Brown brought the family atmosphere as his gimmick. Barry Switzer focused heavily on black athletes.  Darryl Royal used the wishbone. They were good coaches, but once a gimmick has been copied you have to do something else to sustain success. Saban’s sustained success gimmick is his incredibly detailed process documentation for every position on the team. 

Matt’s defense did indeed change the league. Now everyone has adapted. What’s up next Matt?

Edited by Dbeasy

My understanding is that the referee under the goal post, looking up, has to assume that if the goal post extended higher than the little flag at the top, that if any part of the football goes through the imaginary extended goalpost, you assume it would hit a real goalpost and bounce/doink for a no good field goal attempt. Any kick that is close to the imaginary goal post line is supposed to be no good.

3 hours ago, Not a cat said:

All this talk of him regretting turning down 60 mm from the Lions, the dude makes 4 mm a year and lives in Ames.  If he's not already set for life then he's got a Herman sized coke problem.

Always want more.  I get what you’re saying but the gulf between 4M and 9M per year is fucking massive.  He’s definitely regretting that shit and these outbursts show it.  Poor asshole.  

• Hook 'Em 1

He's a clown. I always remember the extended tantrum (timestamped below) that he threw in the Big 12 title game against OU after a call from the refs that he thought should have resulted in a penalty and a first down.

After not getting the flag, they converted the 4th down anyway and he's yelling and pointing at the official for so long that even the commentators were saying he's way over the top and should have been flagged. Of course I was pulling for ISU in the game, but those antics from the HC were ridiculous.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

He's a clown. I always remember the extended tantrum (timestamped below) that he threw in the Big 12 title game against OU after a call from the refs that he thought should have resulted in a penalty and a first down.

After not getting the flag, they converted the 4th down anyway and he's yelling and pointing at the official for so long that even the commentators were saying he's way over the top and should have been flagged. Of course I was pulling for ISU in the game, but those antics from the HC were ridiculous.

The incessant pointing is really weird. Like a 2nd grader telling teacher who was bad.