Texas Longhorns @ Kansas State Wildcats - 6pm on FS1

Pancho

Man I wish we could get to the QB all game like they did that last series.   I cussed the defense all game save for a few series, but they stepped it up when we needed it late.  They and the offense took a year off my life that second half but they got the win.  

I'll take it versus a ranked team on the road surrounded by purple kryptonite.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't think Sark knows how to run a ball control offense. He will only be able to do it with not a good but a dominant offensive line. I can't remember any short passes to wide receivers in the second half and only a couple to the TE. It was overwhelmingly predictable.

• Hook 'Em 7

A road win against the #13 team in the country? One that put us back in the title hunt? One most of us thought we would lose? That's a shit win?

Considering that Texas needs to make statements, scoring 31 in the first half and then 3 to SCRAPE by, it’s a win, but it doesn’t feel good and doesn’t bode well for the future. There are too many discrepancies with this team to be optimistic. I mean, for fucks sake, we have players visually loafing around and half-assing plays and that’s the tip of the iceberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

In the second half, Sark needs to completely give up play calling to someone else. He's a fucking atrocious OC in the second halves.

We need to hire someone to teach our D how to play fucking zone. They are fucking atrocious.

The playcalling isn't great but once again the issue was pre snap penalties. 

Not going to be successful when it's constantly 1st and 15. It has to just be mental at this point. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

When you have penalties and keep putting yourself behind the chains the playcalling is going to get predictable. And it wasn't just that. Turnovers are there too. It's like you guys immediately forget what you saw. Lol

There were a couple of seemingly bad playcalls, fucked up by execution, also.

It wasn't an endemic thing though.  The rest was.

I really think the problem is boiling down to how easily it comes in the first half and they just can't seem to turn up the intensity for the second.  The other team has their hair on fire because they're way behind and we're just ok cool, whatever  . . . . false start.

Ehlinger could keep em wound up, and, failing that, do it himself.  Ewers is still not much of a leader in that sense, and I don't think Bijan or RoJo really is either.  All by example, only.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This guy gets it. The team plays tight down the stretch. It doesn't matter if we throw it, run it, inside the tackles, try to pitch outside, we seem to always make the mental mistakes down the stretch to get ourselves in this situation. Once we finally break the mental block we will start crushing teams. 

I know I write fire sark when frustrated during these collapses. But really, this. He does a lot very right. He can clearly scheme an offense. I have a hard time reconciling that coach with the one that has a team that just goes fucking brain dead in the second half of most games. I can't tell if this is a player issue, a coach issue, or both. If we fix whatever the mental issue is, this team would be dominant. I really hope Sark can do it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

Did Ewers hit a long ball tonight?  His value is hitting that throw to Worthy a couple of times a game.  If he can't do that maybe Card is a better option because he is a bit more mobile.  Early on Ewers was hitting those throws but hasn't since OU.

Worthy needs to give more effort on deep balls. He stops on his route half the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Great strip by Coburn. The defense is phenomenally dumb but I wouldn’t question their effort tonight (except maybe Jamison wtf?). Two different things.

Make no mistake they showed they wanted to win in the fourth quarter, even if they didn’t necessarily know how. Eventually a play was made. Winning on defense against Iowa State was lucky. What just happened was absolutely making a play on a situation where they had to have one with the game on the line. They hadn’t shown that before. Tip of the cap. That’s growth. I thought it was going to be the same old shit all over again but they flipped the script.

Idk what to say about the second half offense. Some of it is play calls, some execution issues. It’s just a mess.

KSU not being built to play from behind ultimately bit them in the ass. Their penultimate drive took too long. Their two minute drill lacked a sense of urgency, putting them in a really bad spot with the clock before they had to be and letting the Texas defense defense regroup between plays.

Happy for the players, I know that must feel good.

Six straight over bc KSU lol. What a world.

Happy Trifecta!

• Like 2

Just now, Stunns38 said:

The players won despite Sark. Need to build on this.

I disagree. Execution is our primary problem. Part of that is on Sark, but given that they can execute in the first, I'd say the vast majority is on the players. I just don't know why it happens. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's like you guys immediately forget what you saw. Lol

I saw running into a 9 man front with no audible or play call adjustment. I saw a pitch to the short side that looks like we notified the K state sideline with the playcall. I saw multiple 30 yard bombs two weeks ago with a qb that was struggling biggly.

A step up gutsy stop by the D doesn’t remove the warts off the second half offense. Pull the sunshine out of your butt. This is a concerning pattern from last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

Did Ewers hit a long ball tonight?  His value is hitting that throw to Worthy a couple of times a game.  If he can't do that maybe Card is a better option because he is a bit more mobile.  Early on Ewers was hitting those throws but hasn't since OU.

This shtick is kinda old now 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This guy gets it. The team plays tight down the stretch. It doesn't matter if we throw it, run it, inside the tackles, try to pitch outside, we seem to always make the mental mistakes down the stretch to get ourselves in this situation. Once we finally break the mental block we will start crushing teams. 

I think its that they play really nonchalant until the tide turns, then you couldn't pull a diamond out of their ass with a tractor.  It's kind of a combination deal, or double whammy.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

In the second half, Sark needs to completely give up play calling to someone else. He's a fucking atrocious OC in the second halves.

We need to hire someone to teach our D how to play fucking zone. They are fucking atrocious.

I didn't see any difference in the play calling. He tried to stick with the run. But we had repeated, drive killing false starts and player miscues. I know its very sexy to shit on him and he's deserved it in the past (OMG especially OSU), but I don't think the second half was a play calling problem.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

There were a couple of seemingly bad playcalls, fucked up by execution, also.
It wasn't an endemic thing though.  The rest was.
I really think the problem is boiling down to how easily it comes in the first half and they just can't seem to turn up the intensity for the second.  The other team has their hair on fire because they're way behind and we're just ok cool, whatever  . . . . false start.
Ehlinger could keep em wound up, and, failing that, do it himself.  Ewers is still not much of a leader in that sense, and I don't think Bijan or RoJo really is either.  All by example, only.
Exactly about the leadership! Sam was the de facto leader. That shit permeates along the sideline, locker room, film study, etc. No one, it seems, can nut up and lead by example. I truly feel that's the 2nd half issues

8 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

the td Ewers threw to Worthy before Worthy even started to make his break would have never happened with Card, never in a million years.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

Considering that Texas needs to make statements, scoring 31 in the first half and then 3 to SCRAPE by, it’s a win, but it doesn’t feel good and doesn’t bode well for the future. There are too many discrepancies with this team to be optimistic. I mean, for fucks sake, we have players visually loafing around and half-assing plays and that’s the tip of the iceberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you say so man. I saw guys fighting their guts out, just psyched out from years of losing. But they overcame it. Is it progress? I don't know. We'll find out as the year plays out.

I also don't have this weird need for big style points. We need a Big 12 title. The polls don't matter. Optics don't matter. We just need wins. If we have to do that by doing all our scoring in the first half, well that's fine with me. Who the fuck cares if they need to SCRAPE BY to win? K-State and TCU were the two elite teams on our schedule. If we scrape by next week well that's fine with me.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Man I wish we could get to the QB all game like they did that last series.   I cussed the defense all game save for a few series, but they stepped it up when we needed it late.  They and the offense took a year off my life that second half but they got the win.  

I'll take it versus a ranked team on the road surrounded by purple kryptonite.

They were getting held like no tomorrow for a lot of the game. But they played that last series like their hair was on fire and wouldn't be denied. Hard to maintain that intensity for four Q's with the refs ignoring holding.

• Hook 'Em 2