2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's not like either side is going to get anything done anyway.  But at least the Republicans will look extreme and incompetent while they're in the majority.

gym jordan is already getting his histronics ramped up for benghazi hearings 2: electric boogaloo

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Poor Incredulity. He was really wanting to come in here after Election Day and jerk off to the Red Wave. He has to take the little victories where he can get them now. 

reminds of that episode in "What We Do In the Shadows" that focuses on Colin him getting energy from being an online troll. Fucking great episode.

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Take that shit to the football board!

😉

Oh how the turntables

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

To be a bit rude:  A bunch of rural whites are not showing up to choose between two black men running for United States Senate. 

lol, no shit. I've been chuckling about this fact since Walker became the nominee. maybe we should start an online rumor that if less than 50% of people vote in the runoff then the election is null and the governor picks the seat - and by gawd he'll pick an American! (aka white guy).

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

gym jordan is already getting his histronics ramped up for benghazi hearings 2: electric boogaloo

Perfect case-in-point.  We haven't seen shit from Gym for the past two years.  But get ready--that stupid fucker is a committee chairman if the Republicans take the House.  He won't be able to accomplish anything, mind you.  But he'll remind everyone of everything they hate about the GQP.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you’d think wrecking a trump rally from an app would’ve tipped them off, but nope. 

Seriously, Gen-Z is the reason the Dems look well positioned to hang on to the senate and still have a small chance at retaining the house. Pretty fucking incredible. 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Isn't it hard to calculate turnout for college campuses? I assume at least some students vote from their permanent home address.

I just checked and found on their site that they claim 9000 international students, and one would presume they aren’t eligible.  So I guess there are factors that could easily whittle down the on campus or near campus vote totals. 

Isn't it hard to calculate turnout for college campuses? I assume at least some students vote from their permanent home address.

Good point. Knocking doors in Nebraska, it was always fun when the app indicated one registered Dem, age 19, and you would have to ask the parents (Republicans ) to make sure little Jimmy got the mail in ballot application.

I’m not interested in defending the party, but Trump was a horse of a different color.  There’s a reason we (this board) believes he is the worst president in our history by miles. 

Noooooot really

He just verbalized his hate in plain Neanderthal speech instead of coded “states rights” Lee Atwater doublespeak.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Perfect case-in-point.  We haven't seen shit from Gym for the past two years.  But get ready--that stupid fucker is a committee chairman if the Republicans take the House.  He won't be able to accomplish anything, mind you.  But he'll remind everyone of everything they hate about the GQP.

They said before the election that their “agenda” will consist of :

Hunter Biden and Biden family investigations

Covid 19 response review

Afghanistan withdrawal review

they will probably throw in some crap about critical race theory, killing Obamacare, and Biden impeachment.

in other words, extremely crazy. Nothing productive or useful to the country. Total waste of time and makes them look terrible to dems and independents.

Edited by Voldemort86

What meaningful legislation can be passed with a slim D majority in the House and a castrated emperor Manchin?  Can we pass federal voting rights?

Or would it be better politically long term to lose the House and let the Rs conduct shitshow investigations that put in full view for the middle how out of touch these fucks are with reality and maybe even gift us Biden impeachment hearings?

Edited by Old Freak Nasty
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I like this guy so far, he might have potential for national elections.

Screenshot_20221111_111152.thumb.jpg.59ac516ca4de3fd5e452c161fc1f391c.jpg

too many people think the concession means something. The loser isn't required to say or do anything. And in some hard fought campaigns, screw calling the winner to congratulate them.

Obviously when the loser is the current office holder, it's a different situation. 

5 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

They said before the election that their “agenda” will consist of :

Hunter Biden and Biden family investigations

Covid 19 response review

Afghanistan withdrawal review

they will probably throw in some crap about critical race theory, killing Obamacare, and Biden impeachment.

in other words, extremely crazy. Nothing productive or useful to the country. Total waste of time and makes them look terrible to dems and independents.

I heard Biden helped Hillary with the whole Benghazi thing so they should do some more hearings on Benghazi.   I wouldn’t be shocked if we get a Jim Jordan speaker of the house and the R’s become even crazier. 

5 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

What meaningful legislation can be passed with a slim D majority in the House and a castrated emperor Manchin?  Can we pass federal voting rights?

Or would it be better politically long term to lose the House and let the Rs conduct shitshow investigations that put in full view for the middle how out of touch these fucks are with reality and maybe even gift us Biden impeachment hearings?

If we can keep the margin 220 or less, a GOP house might be better because they can take some of the blame if the economy gets a lot worse.

I'm leaning to hoping for a Republican House with less than 5 seat advantage.  The House Freedom Caucus is foaming at the mouth to exert it's influence and you'll have the election denialists and conspiracy theorists microphone's amplified for all to see.  25 mini-Trumpkin House members competing to out-stupid each other.

If meaningful federal voting rights legislation can be passed it's worth dealing with whatever blowback the party receives elsewhere for doing "nothing" with full control of the legislative branch.  If on the other hand they prioritize enshrining abortion rights and the economy slips further 2024 could give Trump the platform to win.

If Democrats somehow retain the House, fix voting rights first and tackle abortion rights later, not the other way around, even though the electorate is saying abortion is far more important.

Edited by Old Freak Nasty

2 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Well, it means that you aren't a facist who doesn't accept legitimate election results. That's something. 

But not really. I agree that if your post-election announcement is that the election was rigged and stolen, that is a poor sport. However in general the loser doesn't have to concede. I guess it's nice if they do it, but the concession has been overly hyped by the media.

10 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

If meaningful federal voting rights legislation can be passed it's worth dealing with whatever blowback the party receives elsewhere for doing "nothing" with full control of the legislative branch.  If on the other hand they prioritize enshrining abortion rights and the economy slips further 2024 could give Trump the platform to win.

Well none of that will happen if the GOP takes the House.  

The only thing we can look forward to is the Electoral Count Act passing in a lame duck session.  Which would be very helpful for 2024.

• Like 1

What a Dem majority gets you is the ability to bring a vote on popular bills that Republicans oppose. Think insulin price caps. It forces them to go on the record.

The costs are unfulfilled expectations. If the Dems have the House, the Senate, and the Presidency, much of their base expects to pass everything on the wishlist. They don’t want excuses about thin majorities, filibusters, or the Supreme Court.

I don’t think McCarthy will get an impeachment vote with a 5 seat majority. Too many purple districts Republicans who won’t play ball on Hunter’s laptop. The question is whether he’d hold the hearings knowing there is no end game. Can you imagine the testimonies?

I mean, I’d rather Democrats hold the House on the off chance they decide to nut up, kill the filibuster, and pass Big legislation on voting rights, climate, various rights now on the chopping block after Dobbs, etc. that almost certainly wouldn’t happen, but it’s 0% with a GOP House. And then we’d get to deal with all the theatrics with Hunter Biden, impeachment, COVID, debt ceiling etc.

So, having a GOP House is measurably worse. But I’d take a slight GOP house majority to hold the Senate. Biden and Schuner have gotten judges confirmed at a pretty robust clip, and if a SCOTUS seat comes open it’s imperative the GOP has no say

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

is that real?  that feels impossible.  

LMAO Detroit gave Whitmer 96-4 type margins too. 

It's awesome.  I think Philly was like 92-8 for Fetterman

Like those precincts in West Texas that give the R 100-0 or some shit.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, I’d rather Democrats hold the House on the off chance they decide to nut up, kill the filibuster, and pass Big legislation on voting rights, climate, various rights now on the chopping block after Dobbs, etc. that almost certainly wouldn’t happen, but it’s 0% with a GOP House. And then we’d get to deal with all the theatrics with Hunter Biden, impeachment, COVID, debt ceiling etc.

So, having a GOP House is measurably worse. But I’d take a slight GOP house majority to hold the Senate. Biden and Schuner have gotten judges confirmed at a pretty robust clip, and if a SCOTUS seat comes open it’s imperative the GOP has no say

If Dems miraculously keep the house. You’d still have to convince 1 of Manchin/Enema or a woman Republican senator to nuke the filibuster to codify Roe. The chances of that happening are the same as shit and none 

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If Dems miraculously keep the house. You’d still have to convince 1 of Manchin/Enema or a woman Republican senator to nuke the filibuster to codify Roe. The chances of that happening are the same as shit and none 

I'm holding out hope for a Hobbs win followed by a freak rattlesnake accident in early 2023, but not sure what the odds on that are.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trone (D) in MD looks to have held onto his seat after being being since Tues.

There was a fuck ton of mail in very blue parts of the district that took forever to come in.  

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

am I wrong that the GOP lead for the House is dwindling? Maybe they will get the majority but they seem to be behind on more races recently.

What a kick in the pants if Dems somehow held on.  

The path is very narrow.

NYT has Dems at 196 seats called

Dems are "expected to easily win" 6 more uncalled races, so 202
Dems are expected to "narrowly win" 5 more uncalled races, so 207
Dems lead in 8 "competitive" districts, so 215 if they hold all their leads, and they really should win those 8 (3 of them have been called by other outlets for ME-02, NV-01, NV-03 and the Republican conceded CO-08; Dems also lead in OR-06, AZ-01, CA-47, CA-49)

Dems need to hang onto WA-03 that they currently lead in (216), come back in CA-13, which is expected (217) and win just one race out of CA-22, CA-27, AZ-06, CA-41 or OR-05 to win the House.  CA-03 and CA-45 are probably out of contention. 

This is not impossible by any means.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Proud we're such an active and blue bunch

GenZ being born post-9/11, only knowing the republican party as a bunch of crazy racists trying to take down the first black president, and living through multiple financial meltdowns... Not a complete shock to see them a bit more blue lol

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The path is very narrow.

NYT has Dems at 196 seats called

Dems are "expected to easily win" 6 more uncalled races, so 202
Dems are expected to "narrowly win" 5 more uncalled races, so 207
Dems lead in 8 "competitive" districts, so 215 if they hold all their leads, and they really should win those 8 (3 of them have been called by other outlets for ME-02, NV-01, NV-03 and the Republican conceded CO-08; Dems also lead in OR-06, AZ-01, CA-47, CA-49)

Dems need to hang onto WA-03 that they currently lead in (216), come back in CA-13, which is expected (217) and win just one race out of CA-22, CA-27, AZ-06, CA-41 or OR-05 to win the House.  CA-03 and CA-45 are probably out of contention. 

This is not impossible by any means.

GOP is definitely in the better spot which is always preferred but their eventual lead looks to be less and less. If forced to bet, I would def put my money on the GOP right now.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GOP is definitely in the better spot which is always preferred but their eventual lead looks to be less and less. If forced to bet, I would def put my money on the GOP right now.

Same. 218-217 is still possible! But really, we need that CA mail avalanche to put us over the top. Don’t discount that happening in this timeline 

Just now, Js1 said:

Same. 218-217 is still possible! But really, we need that CA mail avalanche to put us over the top. Don’t discount that happening in this timeline 

a 1 or 3 difference could create interesting situations. In a group of 435,  there are frequently open seats due to death, illness, incarceration, resignations, etc.