the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

You know what would help Americans drowning in debt? Forgiving some of their student loans. But this intellectual giant has a better idea...

The Congressman is not in the camp of those who feel the answer is to forgive existing student loan debt or to make college free. He’s looking at making it so the colleges and universities have some skin in the game when it comes to student loans.

“Right now you have the student and the parent, they’re on the hook for the bill,” Perry said. “And because of the way things are structured with student loans, taxpayers are now on the hook for the bill if you default on the loan. That’s not fair. You know who has no skin in the game–universities, who are offering their product…to have a better life, of more opportunity. But then when you get done, you find out there is no opportunity with the curriculum you spent your time and money on.”

Perry’s legislation would offer a reduced interest rate on a student’s college loan if the school is willing to co-sign that loan. He says it’s good for the student and provides an incentive for the school to prepare the student to get a job once they head off into the real world so they can pay off the loan.

This is a dumb idea

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bookman said:

LOL why I have never seen this? Sunday is day zero!

It's amazing, and if you think about it, explains so much. We all have our own TheJosh to deal with. Laws and other rules are made to deal with, and sometimes by TheJosh. Wars are fought over misunderstandings of TheJosh proportions. I sometimes think TheJosh may now be the Lt. Governor of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  Just because someone is a "single issue" voter, doesn't mean they get to not be a magat.  If they vote for a magat candidate (read: any R), they are a magat.  Whether they want to be or not.  They made the choice.

I think what jimmy fails to understand is that if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, I'm not saying that at all.  I am merely speaking about their motivations.  Of course they are "responsible" for the consequences of their vote, as is anyone who votes.

Then it sounds like we agree.  That was the source of my confusion.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

But they only care about one issue. If there is one candidate that supports their issue and the other doesn't, they are going to vote for the candidate that supports the only issue they really care about. 

Of course, just don't let them pretend they aren't as much of the problem as the MAGA folks, because they all voted for this shit.

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Of course, it didn't help that Trump came out today and said he was simply too sick to take on the job.

Trump, who has already been stirring the pot on the speaker's race, suggested that Scalise, who is currently battling a treatable form of blood cancer, may be too sick to serve.

While saying he liked Scalise personally, Trump told Fox News Radio in an interview that broadcasted Thursday that "Steve is a man that is in serious trouble from the standpoint of his cancer. I mean, he's got to get better for himself. I'm not talking about even country now. I'm saying got to get better. And this is tremendous stress."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

the vast majority of people are "low information" voters who only vote for their tribe and that support is based on only a few issues and for some only one. they don't fully understand the consequences of their decisions only that they are getting what they want. 

think how misinformed the "average voter" is and remember that half of them are less informed than that.

Now consider the GOP is full of supporters that are of the less-informed type. There you go.

Yep, I've shocked so many MAGA types I know with actual information about this or that issue or politician and they clearly had given it no thought, or had no idea what was happening.  They have a few issues and some personalities they like and that's the extent of it.

Hell, just asking them "if Trump wants to make America great again, then when do you think America stopped being great?" confuses the fuck out of some of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, The Dog said:
3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Oh they’ve figured it out. These MAGATs don’t want to govern. They want to bloviate on camera, obstruct as the minority and fundraise off Dem majorities bc it sells more outrage

Being in charge means you’re accountable and people won’t like your decisions 

Fundraising is so much easier when they are in the minority, and Fox News and the other right-wing channels love it as well because angry people tune in to get more angry.

We all really need to start pushing the conspiracy theory that Soros is funding the Republican civil war.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fundraising is so much easier when they are in the minority, and Fox News and the other right-wing channels love it as well because angry people tune in to get more angry.

We all really need to start pushing the conspiracy theory that Soros is funding the Republican civil war.

So they’ll donate more to stop them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I'm just glad Mitch is alive to see the party he's cultivated for so many years blow up after he kissed the Dotard ring.

Kissing Dotard's "Ring"......     rrrrrgggggg  I can't get this image out of my head.

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I'm just glad Mitch is alive to see the party he's cultivated for so many years blow up after he kissed the Dotard ring.

Mitch got his judges and tax cuts.  Say what you will about his methods but the guy has been among the most competent republicans in office.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Rage+1 3