the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And I’d like a romantic weekend getaway with Sela Ward.
My dream has a better chance of coming true than yours.

That dream will end up in a restraining order that prevents you from being within 500 feet of her house, and prevents you from traveling to any out-of-state cities she maybe working in, without prior court approval based on "necessary travel" (i.e. they will check if it's work-related).

And by the way, you don't get to feign ignorance and claim that you didn't know that CSI: NY was actually being filmed in Los Angeles and you just so happened to be near by for tourism reasons.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Even if any of the Moderate Rs were decent human beings, the Republican primary voter will not allow any deals that negates the MAGA caucus. The voters in the R primaries are batshit crazy.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

The magats would go after their families. Just like the mob.

If a moderate Republican told the MAGA types "hey, you can either support me, a moderate that you are angry with, or you can support somebody that you like, but who won't win, and the Democrats will take the seat instead!" MAGA would respond "FUCK YOU I'LL VOTE FOR MY MAGA PIC AND I'LL TAKE THE DEMOCRAT BECAUSE AT LEAST THEY DON'T TRY TO PRETEND THAT THEY AREN'T PIECES OF SHIT LIKE YOU!"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So which republicans that have challenged trump have actually been harmed by maga?  Or their family?  

im sure there have been threats- probably orchestrated by trump co. 

has anything other than losing their elected position in the subsequent election happened yet to any of them?

No. And also who cares?

That was movie was oddly prescient in a way.  First, it marked the decline of Eddie Murphy's string of hilarious movies.  It was solid, but nothing like his previous efforts and it was one flop after another after that (aside from Bowfinger and the like).  It shined a light on campaign fraud, illicit fundraising, not really being able to govern, and of course-the sliminess of what it takes to become a Speaker.  Being a three-act cliche, it added in a feel-good save-the-day story and love tryst.  But in hindsight, it was pretty well crafted.  

And who is our modern day Dick Dodge?  YOU GUESSED IT!  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

That reinforces this story

https://www.rawstory.com/jim-jordan-bullying/?cx_testId=4&cx_testVariant=cx_undefined&cx_artPos=6&cx_experienceId=EXC93HV4HK4I#cxrecs_s

Rep. Jim Jordan's bid to be the next House speaker after the ouster Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is running into a considerable amount of resistance from his GOP caucus, so allies of the Ohio Republican are reportedly twisting arms and making threats to ensure his selection.

According to a report from the New York Times, Republican House members who are balking at falling in line are being threatened with retribution and are already on the receiving end of harassment being fostered by supporters of Jordan.

With one ally admitting the Jordan camp was stunned that he didn't get close to the 217 votes needed to become speaker, the Times is reporting that fans of the blustery Ohio Republican are using the weekend to sic their own followers on balking House members.

Calling it an "extraordinary instance of Republican-on-Republican fighting," the Times' Karoun Demirjian is reporting, "Several of Mr. Jordan’s supporters have posted the phone numbers of mainstream G.O.P. lawmakers they count as holdouts, encouraging followers to flood the Capitol switchboard with calls demanding they back Mr. Jordan — or face the wrath of conservative voters as they gear up for primary season."

Noting that extreme right-wing activists have focused on about a dozen House Republicans who want no part of Jordan as the face of the Republican-majority House, the Times is reporting, "Mr. Jordan’s supporters said his decision to send lawmakers home to their districts over the weekend rather than keeping them in Washington for one-on-one meetings to drum up support was a deliberate move to intensify grass-roots pressure on them to fall into line."

Republican-on-Republican fighting, with the MAGA wing vowing to destroy any Republican who doesn't bow to Gym Jordan?

07c25580-a091-40ca-a116-538fb3b30b94_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah except what are the odds they have the spine to stay the course?

If they wanted to give it to him, they would have already done so since they had the chance.

Quite a few of them see him putting the Republican majority in danger next year, and/or forcing them to spend more money from their campaign chests than they'd prefer to, so I don't see any defectors.

If it's one thing that self-entitled assholes hate, it's another self-entitled asshole telling them what to do.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

If they wanted to give it to him, they would have already done so since they had the chance.
Quite a few of them see him putting the Republican majority in danger next year, and/or forcing them to spend more money from their campaign chests than they'd prefer to, so I don't see any defectors.
If it's one thing that self-entitled assholes hate, it's another self-entitled asshole telling them what to do.

This. Threatening your colleagues is…something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You're damn right.

Republicans saying Republicans are The Swamp.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I served with Jim Jordan. He & I were friends. He shouldn’t be Speaker. He’s a divider. Always has been. And for those who say Jim Jordan has changed, really? Less than 3 yrs ago, he was helping Trump try to overthrow an American election, and less than 2 yrs ago, he was defying a subpoena. He hasn’t changed.

• Hook 'Em 6