the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Ok--exactly what constitutional concerns?  Seriously, I want a legal cite to the section of the Constitution that could even arguably be violated.

Hint: there isn't one.

Whoever told him that is the person that came up with the "96% of the vote against McCarthy were Democrats and so it's their fault we have this mess" spiel.

I'm just amazed that he gets where this train is headed in the long run.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Whoever told him that is the person that came up with the "96% of the vote against McCarthy were Democrats and so it's their fault we have this mess" spiel.

I'm just amazed that he gets where this train is headed in the long run.

I think the only way to save the R party at this point is to empower the Speaker Pro Tem - that's the only face saving move left on the board, thanks to their own party's inability to work with itself. So maybe Roy has the forecast right, but I think he's 100% wrong the reason we get there.

12 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

12 hours ago, G650 said:

That's honestly hilarious

To us. Well, not so much to me, anymore. All they need is some sort of talking point for their parrot constituency to seize as a rationale. When the parrots get it, there's no turning it back. They are humorless, irony-deaf fanatic cultists. They will surely state this as factual and reasonable evidence that the Dems are fucking everything up.

An argument-proof plurality becomes less funny to me every day even if I see the absurdity in what they claim.

12 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Jesus tap dancing christ, the south needs to be cut off. Go do you, you fucking shitbag reds 

True. It's not because of who they elect. It's because they elect who they are to office.

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yep people like their reality TV and social media cynicism, angst and shit talking and can no longer separate how it’s one thing in those fantasylands and another thing in the real world.

Bingo!

40 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That 96% thing is clearly just a talking point someone jotted down on a napkin. "Just keep saying that, it's the best we've got right now"

And their cult will hold together with just that.

In Idiot World, idiocy is king.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

They're a party of toddlers who picked up a turd, rubbed it all over their body and then pointed at the dog and said, "its his fault"

Repooplicans.

Conserviturds.

Grand Old Farty.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Just imagine how much a person must hate gays and Brown and Black people to put up with this collection of loathsome, incompetent, flawed human beings as your appointed representatives.

I mean, lets not ignore Gerrymandering. The cylce before last, my rep was Dan Crenshaw. Before that some other Pub. 

Guess Jordan is out now or will be later on today.

I do agree with Chip Roy that hell will break loose if the GOP has to recruit Dems to appoint McHenry or actually vote in an actual Speaker. The GOP House majority will effectively cease to exist. We all know that their majority was a loose affiliation at best but this hypothetical will splinter it even more.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You know what else has never happened before Chip? A speaker being voted out mid-session bc a pedophile from Florida threw a fit that they didn’t shut down the government 

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You know what else has never happened before Chip? A speaker being voted out mid-session bc a pedophile from Florida threw a fit that they didn’t shut down the government 

The small group of Republicans that voted out McCarthey are all happy to march the US government down the path of shutting down the government, default on debt obligations, not passing any legislation. And they all think that this will lead to Trumpf winning the 2024 Presidency and a Repulican landslide in the down ticket voting including the Senate and House races. 
Sadly, I think this is showing that Trump has made it more difficult to elect republicans as many will not vote a Trump backed candidate and another group will not vote for anyone who is not backed my the orange man.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Chopper said:

As Paul Harvey used to say, here's the rest of the story.

image.thumb.png.385c28baad9caf490ebda1ef18018c91.png

image.thumb.png.6fd5049ceca6a8f55af81d444f736807.png

Tune in again tomorrow for the big question yet to be tackled: Will there be a republican conference meeting -- with pizza -- on Thursday?

When your party shits in your eye and gives away your pizza pie

That's not amore

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I’m not sure about that doom-and-gloom from Roy.  Legacy media will bend over backwards to make Republicans look good if they end up with any sort of power-sharing deal.

”In arriving at this historic compromise, Republicans listened to the silent majority of Americans who had grown tired of extreme partisanship and worsening gridlock.  Recognizing the immediate need to address spiraling conflicts overseas and looming budgetary issues at home, the GOP extended an olive branch to work with Democrats to make Congress function again.  While the Democrats spent their years in the majority jamming through massive legislation like the ACA and IRA strictly with party-line votes, Republicans are showing there’s another way to get things done in Washington…”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Chip Roy: Working with Democrats to Elect a House Speaker is an unforgivable step that will damage the concept of coalition governemnt, which is working with Democrats to govern. 

Alternate Translation:

Chip Roy: Working with Democrats is a step towards coalition governemnt, which is unvorgivable. 

Either way you interpret the meaning of that motherfucker's tweet is fucking horrendous. 

You beat me to it. He said the quiet part out loud. They don't want to govern, they want to rule. There is no compromise. If only there were examples that they could learn from throughout our history of conservatives refusing to compromise and ultimately ending up with nothing . 

Also, Chip Roy is rocketing up my list of most hated republicans. Probably because I know he knows better and is putting on an act for his district and MAGA nation. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

QFT

Bolded is why it makes them mad when we laugh at them. Reverse the whip. Laugh at the idiots. Because that's what makes them mad. Getting mad at them is what they want. 

That meme of the triggered woman is what they want. It's what motivated Trump. And this resentment at the idea that someone can be happy with anything. They are miserable and want the rest of us to join them in it.

Fuck yo anger. I'm going to laugh at you. Here's your Herman Cain Award.

Nailed it--cant rationalize with crazy and discussion only acknowledges they have a position (they don't).  

My new family talking points begin with: Hey mom, these facilities should have both physical and mental therapy.  Have you checked for Bingo?  I also see that they have gardening.   

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Probably because I know he knows better

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’m sick of giving them passes or hand waving away what they say/do bc “they probably know better”

If they knew better, they wouldn’t do it. It’s who they are at this point 

• Hook 'Em 5

Now I'm quite sure Chip Roy ultimately won't hold out, but others will, ranging from nihilists to actual hard conservatives who don't like the idea of a long term interim speaker (BTW, I don't either). So the question is: will Gaetz and Co. force the GOP to cut a deal with the Democrats to get across the line? There's gotta be 5-10 Republicans who won't go for this. 

Oh, and not surprised Jim "Hates to Lose" Jordan gave up, just like he did at the Olympic trials against Randy Lewis in '88. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There's gotta be 5-10 Republicans who won't go for this. 

The Dems will bc I assume they’ve already endorsed it with promises of Israel/Ukraine/Taiwan aid package and a funding bill. So you probably Have way more than enough votes 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Dems will bc I assume they’ve already endorsed it with promises of Israel/Ukraine/Taiwan aid package and a funding bill. So you probably Have way more than enough votes 

there's money for border enforcement too.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

You beat me to it. He said the quiet part out loud. They don't want to govern, they want to rule. There is no compromise. If only there were examples that they could learn from throughout our history of conservatives refusing to compromise and ultimately ending up with nothing . 

Also, Chip Roy is rocketing up my list of most hated republicans. Probably because I know he knows better and is putting on an act for his district and MAGA nation. 

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’m sick of giving them passes or hand waving away what they say/do bc “they probably know better”

If they knew better, they wouldn’t do it. It’s who they are at this point 

Yeah, gotta go with JS1's take here, Red Fish. I'm not sure what would make you believe Chip Roy knows better. He's one of the most powerful and influential memebers of the Freedom Caucus. He's not some guy crowing the Trump party line so as to not piss off voters and maintain plausible deniability, he was one of the guys who neutered McCarthy from jump street. He learned by sucking at the Teet of Ted Cruz; when he emrbaces a role, he's all in with gusto, including cradling the balls, stroking the shaft, working the pipe, and swallowing the gravy. You may call it performance art, but at some point, that stops mattering. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

My guess is if McHenry does a decent job, passes an aid bill and government funding without giving up the farm, Jordan will lose more votes in the next 2.5 months and still won’t win. If McHenry stabilizes the House, why go for chaos literally in the election year??

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My guess is if McHenry does a decent job, passes an aid bill and government funding without giving up the farm, Jordan will lose more votes in the next 2.5 months and still won’t win. If McHenry stabilizes the House, why go for chaos literally in the election year??

Because you're a pschopath who believes it's your divine right, and you want to be in charge of the re-election purse strings. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because you're a pschopath who believes it's your divine right, and you want to be in charge of the re-election purse strings. 

Fair. This is basically a pre-scheduled MTV for January 2024. Let’s see how the morons bungle this - as long as they get some government funding through the election and neuter a 2024 shutdown 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, gotta go with JS1's take here, Red Fish. I'm not sure what would make you believe Chip Roy knows better. He's one of the most powerful and influential memebers of the Freedom Caucus. He's not some guy crowing the Trump party line so as to not piss off voters and maintain plausible deniability, he was one of the guys who neutered McCarthy from jump street. He learned by sucking at the Teet of Ted Cruz; when he emrbaces a role, he's all in with gusto, including cradling the balls, stroking the shaft, working the pipe, and swallowing the gravy. You may call it performance art, but at some point, that stops mattering. 

He 100% knows better. He's got a BS and MS from UVA and a JD from Texas. He's not a moron. He knows how our government is supposed to work. He's also 100% a true-believer Republican shitbag who has altered his appearance and vocal delivery to appeal to voters in his gerrymandered R+20 district. 

He's gone from this guy:

170px-Chip_Roy,_official_portrait,_116th

To this guy:

R000614.jpg

in 6 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

He 100% knows better. He's got a BS and MS from UVA and a JD from Texas. He's not a moron. He knows how our government is supposed to work. He's also 100% a true-believer Republican shitbag who has altered his appearance and vocal delivery to appeal to voters in his gerrymandered R+20 district. 

He's gone from this guy:

To this guy:

R000614.jpg

in 6 years. 

If the last almost 8 years have taught us anything, it's that well-degreed and intelligent people are as prone to getting brain worms and becoming stupid fucking shits at a high fucking percentage. I suppose we're sort of splitting hairs at this point, to be honest. You say he knows what he's doing, but you also say he's a true believer. Well, he's a true believer that our government doesn't work and needs to be burned down, and he's working towards that end. So how is that not "he knows better." Clearly he does not, since he's actively working to burn down government, and arguably he's one of the best/most competent at doing it?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

He's gone from this guy:

To this guy:

R000614.jpg

in 6 years. 

Penny Loafers to Hey Dude's.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If the last almost 8 years have taught us anything, it's that well-degreed and intelligent people are as prone to getting brain worms and becoming stupid fucking shits at a high fucking percentage. I suppose we're sort of splitting hairs at this point, to be honest. You say he knows what he's doing, but you also say he's a true believer. Well, he's a true believer that our government doesn't work and need to be burned down, and he's working towards that end. So how is that not "he knows better." Clearly he does not, since he's actively working to burn down government, and arguably he's one of the best/most competent at doing it?

I feel like we both agree the sky is blue, but we're arguing about the shade. 

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

I feel like we both agree the sky is blue, but we're arguing about the shade. 

I mean maybe. If he's a true believer, and he wants to destroy the government we have, and he's working towards that end, how can he "know better." 

The only plausible response to that is that he's a pure nihilist and wants to watch the world burn, which I guess is a possibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So they will vote for McHenry to be the temporary permanent speaker... but they won't vote for him to be speaker?

Yes. Becuase that would mean having to put aside greivances against their own party members, and Jordan would have to admit that he lost.