The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

These religious nut jobs are absolutely freaks. 

16 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

And they're hell-bent on making us all worship their regarded imaginary friend....or else.  Fuck 'em all. 

They are insecure in their beliefs so they have to force them on everybody else. 

I like the framing of this as an investment and from an ROI standpoint. Finally some people are starting to get it in Congress:

Branding it as “investment,” not “aid”

Of the $61 billion earmarked for Ukraine, 64% would flow back to US defense contractors that make the weapons, the Biden administration said. Indeed, since Russia invaded Ukraine nearly two years ago, industrial production in the US defense and space sector has surged 17.5%, per the Fed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-18/germany-says-failure-to-back-ukraine-aid-could-hurt-us-economy

• Hook 'Em 3

Looks like Kristi Noem didn't get the message that the border isn't that great a GQP issue since they killed the border bill.

But do take some time to reflect on the Gujaratis who have opened a dozen Hampton Inns, Four Points by Sheraton, and Homewood Suites in and around Eagle Pass over the last 18 months.  They're making an absolute killing.

Good for them.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

In news that surprises no one, Senate R's block Duckworth's IVF bill.

https://apnews.com/article/congress-ivf-access-abortion-alabama-bill-ruling-7f68248f36900d4583d9b181f3b4e380

But they are totally not trying to outlaw sex or birth control or IVF or anything having to do with women’s rights because creepy Jesus. Yep. Sure. 

52 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

In news that surprises no one, Senate R's block Duckworth's IVF bill.

https://apnews.com/article/congress-ivf-access-abortion-alabama-bill-ruling-7f68248f36900d4583d9b181f3b4e380

How exactly can the Rs block a vote on this issue in the Senate when they are in the minority?  I understand they need 60 to overcome a filibuster but now they can block ot from coming to a vote?  The dems need to force a vote on this issue in the US Senate as well as every state legislative body the are a majority from now until November.  

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

How exactly can the Rs block a vote on this issue in the Senate when they are in the minority?  I understand they need 60 to overcome a filibuster but now they can block ot from coming to a vote?  The dems need to force a vote on this issue in the US Senate as well as every state legislative body the are a majority from now until November.  

They blocked unanimous consent. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Southern Baptist with 10 grandkid and great-grandkids.  

Everybody in that room was cringing hard.

Ummmm.....not everybody.  Not even close.

They are young females.  They are no better than property, to be used as their older male owners see fit.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Southern Baptist with 10 grandkid and great-grandkids.  

Everybody in that room was cringing hard.

Cringing hard or just hard… …

Is there a scenario where the Dems get control of the house before November and can pass real legislation? Or will committee leadership somehow thwart that? Or would committees get new leaders?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is there a scenario where the Dems get control of the house before November and can pass real legislation? Or will committee leadership somehow thwart that? Or would committees get new leaders?

I'm pretty sure a new speakership means a new rules and new committee leaders.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

So is this actually a coordinated thing? 

Buck did explicitly say he knew of "at least" 3 who would be doing the same. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Unlikely without any R flips. 

Current House: 218 R - 213 D

Mike Gallagher leaves April 19 - 217 R - 213 D

Special election for Brian Higgins (D) seat is April 30 - 217 R to 214 D

Special election for Kevin McCarthy (R) seat is May 21 - 218 R to 214 D

Special election for Bill Johnson (R) seat is June 11 - 219 R to 214 D

Special election for Ken Buck (R) seat is June 30 - 220 R to 214 D

No election for Mike Gallagher's seat because of his timing

Edited by Js1

Of course if I am Jeffries, I'm already on the phone with some members about what it takes to either "save" Johnson or find a compromise candidate.  We already know that should include:

• Ukraine aid bill
  • Kill the Biden impeachment bullshit

This new funding bill goes all the way through September 30, so I'd also force the issue on securing a commitment for October 1 to December 31 funding as well.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What if? And believe me, this is a hypothetical, but what if 3 Republican House members die in a terrible fudge mixing incident? 

Could they then pass national abortion rights?

Not without suspending the filibuster in the senate. And being a cynical person, they probably wouldn’t want to politically before November. 

Edited by SydneyCarton