2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

51 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Not looking to argue this at all; just genuinely interested to know what you (and many others to be fair) base this on.

Last year’s QB play was among the worst I have ever seen. The spring game didn’t do much to convince me that he has made great strides.

For me, my biggest reason for hope for Ewers is that Sark is coaching him, and simply getting more experience.

Wasnt it Patterson that said he thought it took quarterbacks 15 games before they really began to get it? That still leaves Ewers about half a season away. 

I love this roster and fear that Ewers may actually be the weak link. 

That is just ridiculous. Texas has had some seriously bad QB play.. 

I do have hope this year. The biggest thing is getting away from condensed looks. Quinn is a spread baby. I think Texas runs a lot more 3-4 wide. That leads to WR play. Last couple years have seen a mess at WR.. Worthy can be inconsistent, but he is still damn good. JWhitt is a jag out wide, but I think he finds his groove inside (where he wont struggle to get off press coverage). Mitchell is a big upgrade outside over JWhitt.  Showed he can actually help a Qb in the spring game. Its been awhile since a receiver made a play for a Texas Qb. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Not looking to argue this at all; just genuinely interested to know what you (and many others to be fair) base this on.

Last year’s QB play was among the worst I have ever seen. The spring game didn’t do much to convince me that he has made great strides.

For me, my biggest reason for hope for Ewers is that Sark is coaching him, and simply getting more experience.

Wasnt it Patterson that said he thought it took quarterbacks 15 games before they really began to get it? That still leaves Ewers about half a season away. 

I love this roster and fear that Ewers may actually be the weak link. 

Ewers surely has room to improve.  That being said, some passing stats from previous years:

2010: 2,784 / 58.9% / 6.3 avg / 10 TD / 17 Int

2015: 1,751 / 55.2% / 6.9 avg / 9 TD / 6 Int  (they did have 1K yards rushing)

2022: 3,138 / 61.2% / 7.7 avg / 22 TD / 7 Int

"Wasnt it Patterson that said ..." 

No matter what the subject, I don't think you'll help your case by quoting this guy ... 

image.jpeg.839aaede8ce0643e7724385471a9e75d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Murphy has all the arm talent from an accuracy and arm strength stand point.  His biggest weakness is his lack of experience playing games since he backed up a D1 prospect in high school till his senior year

I thought he was a small school guy who played plenty but didn't have much around him?

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I thought he was a small school guy who played plenty but didn't have much around him?

IIRC his junior year was a spring league with only 6 games due to COVID and his senior year was normal. His team and competition were all kind of a wash. Didn't play much as a sophomore. He's been in training/camps/etc forever but doesn't have as many reps as most. I think he committed before even being a varsity starter. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

IIRC his junior year was a spring league with only 6 games due to COVID and his senior year was normal. His team and competition were all kind of a wash. Didn't play much as a sophomore. He's been in training/camps/etc forever but doesn't have as many reps as most. I think he committed before even being a varsity starter. 

This. Being a fb stud in CA when covid hit and injuries impacted his development. He's on a good trend but we need QB1 to take a big step forward and stay healthy.

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Buddy, we had Tyrone Swoopes and Case McCoy starting games for us the past decade.

Yes. But consider that, bad as they were, they each gave us a victory we can - and many do - cherish to this day.

Fuck aggy. Fuck norte dame.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's one of the dumbest and worst takes I've ever seen on the surly football board. And yes I know what I just said.

Aside from being injured much of the year himself, Ewers was often throwing downfield to one guy, who was also injured and had a terrible case of alligator arms. He still managed to put up decent enough stats in what was essentially his true freshman season.

Also, Garrett Gilbert, Swoopes, McCoy, Heard, etc. Hell Ehlinger as a freshman was much worse than freshman Ewers. 

Yes, remember when we thought Ellinger was too bone headed to ever have a net positive effect?  We were wrong, as we all are, about half the time.  

Means nothing about what Ewers will do, but it suggests a higher probability of his improving beyond his freshman year. 

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Aside from being injured much of the year himself, Ewers was often throwing downfield to one guy, who was also injured and had a terrible case of alligator arms. He still managed to put up decent enough stats in what was essentially his true freshman season.

Also, Garrett Gilbert, Swoopes, McCoy, Heard, etc. Hell Ehlinger as a freshman was much worse than freshman Ewers. 

McCoy gave me a headache.  He was still much much better than Swoopes and Gilbert.  

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

Means nothing about what Ewers will do, but it suggests a higher probability of his improving beyond his freshman year. 

It is almost impossible that Ewers won't improve to some degree. However, he needs a certain amount of improvement to compensate for the step down we will take in backfield performance from losing 2 NFL RBs. Whatever that level of improvement is, that just keeps us whole relative to last year. Our o-line SHOULD improve, which helps him, but will he need to improve even more to compensate for what is likely still a well below average interior o-line group. Our WR/TE room seems to be elite, but will we have the capacity to take advantage of it? Bottom line, we need to fire everyone. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The offense wasn't suited for Gilbert, but he was just okay at SMU.  He didn't exactly light it up in that offense either.

Played well enough to hold a clipboard in the league.  Significantly better than Case and Ty is my point (admit I like those guys more though).

Edited by cochamps

28 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I just heard the tail end of some report on 104.9 about teams having our signs? What is this about?

That was a thing after the TCU game but I don't remember the details. I think it had something to do with where our RBs were lining up, tipping off plays etc.

39 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That was a thing after the TCU game but I don't remember the details. I think it had something to do with where our RBs were lining up, tipping off plays etc.

I remember watching several games and telling my wife when we were running the ball at an alarming accuracy based on the stance of the tackles. It, for me was a easy tipoff to the defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I just heard the tail end of some report on 104.9 about teams having our signs? What is this about?

It was a FCB piece so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Basically said that Sark was concerned that other teams (specifically Bama and TCU) may have been catching onto the boards/signals we were using to get plays in so they are changing everything out this offseason and spending the 2 hours of player/coach time per week to make sure everyone is up to speed on the new boards/signals. The 3 new special assistants also shared the same concern after looking at some film.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

It was a FCB piece so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Basically said that Sark was concerned that other teams (specifically Bama and TCU) may have been catching onto the boards/signals we were using to get plays in so they are changing everything out this offseason and spending the 2 hours of player/coach time per week to make sure everyone is up to speed on the new boards/signals. The 3 new special assistants also shared the same concern after looking at some film.

Sounds like made up bullshit....we'd be down right negligent if we were running same boards.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sounds like made up bullshit....we'd be down right negligent if we were running same boards.

Yeah, feels like something Chip might be exaggerating. I would think teams swap out signals in the offseason pretty often. Also, if Bama knew what was coming then they did a poor job of showing it.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

If I remember correctly, there was a rumor they caught a rando filming practice the week of the TCU game. Not sure if it was ever confirmed or ended up being a nothing burger.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I also remember the RB's depth vs the QB telling quite a few plays now that I have read through some other posts.

• Like 1

A. Fuck Chip Brown

B. At what point do they allow a QB an ear piece and the boards go away?

They’ve proven the tech in the NFL (mic’d up), so why not?

If they’re worried about outside play influence, put it at center. Either way it seems like something that should be there and isn’t.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, cochamps said:

Tbf, Gilbert was a “spread baby” who had Mack’s ephiphany of a SEC down hil running game forced on him.

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The offense wasn't suited for Gilbert, but he was just okay at SMU.  He didn't exactly light it up in that offense either.

That is MVP and Super Bowl champion Garrett Gilbert to you.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

10 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

I remember watching several games and telling my wife when we were running the ball at an alarming accuracy based on the stance of the tackles. It, for me was a easy tipoff to the defense.

I mean, it matters, but it doesn't. Chip Brown's Oregon offense tipped almost every play by RB alignment. It can be used to your advantage of you know you're doing it. 

19 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

A. Fuck Chip Brown

B. At what point do they allow a QB an ear piece and the boards go away?

They’ve proven the tech in the NFL (mic’d up), so why not?

If they’re worried about outside play influence, put it at center. Either way it seems like something that should be there and isn’t.

How long before someone tunes in?